Good, Bad, Ugly - Steelers game 2

12 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Still looking for video of what I have now found out was a Hendrickson strip sack

of Old Ben and Hubbard recovery if the fumble. Completely missed it game, watching

the receivers and coverage downfield and for some odd reason, not shown on the

scoreboard replay.  Oh well...

If you don't have me on ignore -it is in the second of the Baldringer videos just above.

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The constant shifting in and out of players on the OL, I think Taylor deferred to the idiot OL coach

Yeah the previous OL coach was pretty bad. If we want to say that Taylor as a manager was poor in who he chose to be his staff, 100% agree. Having Pollack in there to give him the info on who the best players are vs who was there before has made a world of difference, but Taylor was not afraid to pull the trigger on the better player, Marvin never did that. 

I know the Burrow picks have seemed like a lot - but I really had not paid much attention to the rest of the league and how INTs are going this year - feels like the rate is up... 

Here are the top 15 QBs in terms of most INTS...

Tannehill 14 TDs and 13 INTs

Jackson 15 TDs and 12 INTs

Burrow 22 TDs and 12 INTs

Ryan 16 TDs and 11 INTs

Mahomes 25 TDs and 11 INTs

Darnold 7 TDs and 11 INTs

Wilson 4 TDs and 10 INTs

Lawrence 9 TDs and 10 INTs

Herbert 24 TDs and 10 INTs

Allen 25 TDs and 10 INTs

Stafford 27 TDs and 9 INTs

Heinicke 11 TDs and 9 INTs

Carr 16 TDs and 9 INTs

Brady 30 TDs and 9 INTs

Burrow's passer rating is 101.6. On the above list, only Stafford and Brady have better passer ratings.

All of which is to say, Burrow has been quite damn good, yesterday and this year. Better than I probably have realized. 

Random thoughts rattling around my brain:

---I am under-appreciating how much of a leap Burrow is in the process of taking and have to keep reminding myself of the uncertainty surrounding how effective he would be given the recovery from the knee injury. He's magnificent. These are the good days and I am still processing that.
---I mentioned this in other threads, but Adeniji has absolutely stabilized the line - and you can see them gelling now as a unit (something that would only come with time and a chance to play together as a group)
---I cannot say enough in praise of what Hendrickson has brought the line - or in how good a complement to what Hendrickson does that Hubbard is on the other side
---Much better tackling day from the LBers in this one
---Was fun as hell to watch the D disguising looks and confusing both Ben and his receivers in this one
---I really do think the work that ZT and Callahan have put into the master plan on offense is evident now. They are fully capable of beating the **** out of opposing defenses in a variety of ways which should make it hard to ever completely shut us down. Two high shell? Fine, Mixon to bludgeon you. Bring a safety up but roll coverage to Chase? Fine, Higgins to bludgeon you. Can't take Chase fully away because they can scheme him short. Boyd and Chase forever doing dirty work blocking too. Uzomah and Sample as well. And Uzomah available for passes to move sticks. And a rapidly improving line in front of all that. I am delighted. DELIGHTED.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I know the Burrow picks have seemed like a lot - but I really had not paid much attention to the rest of the league and how INTs are going this year - feels like the rate is up... 

Here are the top 15 QBs in terms of most INTS...

Tannehill 14 TDs and 13 INTs

Jackson 15 TDs and 12 INTs

Burrow 22 TDs and 12 INTs

Ryan 16 TDs and 11 INTs

Mahomes 25 TDs and 11 INTs

Darnold 7 TDs and 11 INTs

Wilson 4 TDs and 10 INTs

Lawrence 9 TDs and 10 INTs

Herbert 24 TDs and 10 INTs

Allen 25 TDs and 10 INTs

Stafford 27 TDs and 9 INTs

Heinicke 11 TDs and 9 INTs

Carr 16 TDs and 9 INTs

Brady 30 TDs and 9 INTs

Burrow's passer rating is 101.6. On the above list, only Stafford and Brady have better passer ratings.

All of which is to say, Burrow has been quite damn good, yesterday and this year. Better than I probably have realized. 

I mean he’s played a total of 21 games as a pro. Look up how many picks Peyton Manning threw in his first 21 games if you really wanna see a crazy number….28 in his first 16 games alone.

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I mean he’s played a total of 21 games as a pro. Look up how many picks Peyton Manning threw in his first 21 games if you really wanna see a crazy number….28 in his first 16 games alone.

I know. I am just putting this season into the context of this season league-wide. Burrow has been about as INT prone as the other top QBs. And better passer rated than all but two of those. He def can cut down on some of that, but...he's been really good as is. 

6 hours ago, membengal said:

I know. I am just putting this season into the context of this season league-wide. Burrow has been about as INT prone as the other top QBs. And better passer rated than all but two of those. He def can cut down on some of that, but...he's been really good as is. 

100%

and I was just mostly talking out loud, not directed at you (even tho I did quote you 😜)

14 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

The orgasmic

- Mike Hilton dropping a deuce on Ben’s chest just as his former team believed they had life. Coffin and nails before halftime.

- Zero twirling towels were visible, and yellow heads dipped without hope.

The great

- The Bengals annihilated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The Stealers looked as soft as soft gets.

- Hendrickson and Hubbard have silently vaulted into a dialogue among the best edge tandems in the AFC and/or league.

- Joe Mixon and the offensive line challenging any classic Chad TD celebration with a beautiful choreographed number.

The good

- Tee Higgins returning to form just as defenses start to cheat over to Chase.

- Taylor and Anarumo both called great games and had the team prepared with a fantastic game plan.

- Logan Wilson got back to early-season form.

- Money Mac is 7 for 8 from 50+ yards. Good God.

The bad

The two challenges were technically “bad” if you really want to nitpick. I don’t give a crap, and I don’t hold it against Taylor — I doubt he does that in a closer game. I could leave this space empty, but why not give the downers a ball of yarn to play with?

The ugly

Mike Tomlin calling two garbage time timeouts when I am just trying to call it a day and head home. Up yours, Shades.

I can only imagine how good it felt to see Stealers fans crushed at PBS. And two years in a row too. Been a long time coming.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Not sure the Oline has been awesome, but it has been better for sure, and has had some flirtation with awesome. It just needs to get consistent. 

Agreed.  Adeniji has been an upgrade at guard and they had a great game yesterday.

But...as someone posted here recently, "the other team has players too" or something like that.

The Stealers DL sucks at run defense.  Big time.  The Lions and Chargers had big running games against the Stealers as well.  I like the direction the OL is going, but I wouldn't say it's fixed.  Burrow was sacked twice in the first half.  He didn't drop back much in the second.  Let's hope this game was a trend, but not put the cart before the horse.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Agreed.  Adeniji has been an upgrade at guard and they had a great game yesterday.

But...as someone posted here recently, "the other team has players too" or something like that.

The Stealers DL sucks at run defense.  Big time.  The Lions and Chargers had big running games against the Stealers as well.  I like the direction the OL is going, but I wouldn't say it's fixed.  Burrow was sacked twice in the first half.  He didn't drop back much in the second.  Let's hope this game was a trend, but not put the cart before the horse.

At the same time they did keep Watt away from him.

Not fixed by any streach of the imagination. We might end up finding out that Adeniji was just a benefactor of going against bad teams. But he's done his job to this point and that's all you can ask for.

Good

Joe Mixon.  What a horse.

23 of Burrows throws

Defensive line

Offensive line

Wilson making tackles

Apple and Hilton making interceptions

Bad

Burrow interception.  He has to stop throwing the ball up for grabs.  More brains, less balls.

Phillips.  Dude is just a bonehead.  This this is the last year of his contract.  Don't resign.

Ugly

Ben Rapistberger.  Father time has caught up with this asswipe big time.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

At the same time they did keep Watt away from him.

Not fixed by any streach of the imagination. We might end up finding out that Adeniji was just a benefactor of going against bad teams. But he's done his job to this point and that's all you can ask for.

Probably.  Adeniji has been around a couple years and most likely knows what he is doing, which is instantly a step up from Carman.  I think Carman is gonna need a year or two as well.  Doesn't look like a quick study. 

11 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Probably.  Adeniji has been around a couple years and most likely knows what he is doing, which is instantly a step up from Carman.  I think Carman is gonna need a year or two as well.  Doesn't look like a quick study. 

Yup, gonna have to ease him in, the talent is there as he has had some good games, he's just inconsistent. That's on coach Pollack to make it easy for him to understand his assignments.

19 hours ago, fluhartz said:

all good today..

how about apple. We were all shitting on ghim because he was so bad early (me included) and he has really stepped up.. What a fucking day..

I love this team... Joe B. is a boss... Joe M. is a beast.. WR's are sick, o-line is improving every week... defense is ballin... love it so much 

Fuck the stealers

i dont wanna be that guy, but apple got beat on the INT play, WR had 2 steps on him, ben however thought the WR was coming back to the sideline. it worked out fantastically, so no worries, but ben just sucks, apparently suck x suck = good outcome?  ill have to watch the wide angle film of it later and see if im off via my angle or something, but it was right in front of me

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah the previous OL coach was pretty bad. If we want to say that Taylor as a manager was poor in who he chose to be his staff, 100% agree. Having Pollack in there to give him the info on who the best players are vs who was there before has made a world of difference, but Taylor was not afraid to pull the trigger on the better player, Marvin never did that. 

He sat Dalton for Finley - NOT the better player. I am no Dalton fan but Finley was a complete POS.

Archived