Sewer Brewer: Week 13

9 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Pretty easy selection this week.

Ja'Marvin Chase.

Breaking records eh?  What's the record for most drops because he has a shot at that. 

The Sewell debate isn't over - not by a long shot.

Not really debatable today. Chase is quietly having a disastrous 2H of the year.  Last 5 games since Baltimore have been terrible. 

I think the entire offense.

The Sewer Offense.

Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd are exempt from the above list.

Maybe the coaching or something because they seemed to be in our playbook.

We were tipping something or the two new guys on the line screwed up the chemistry

plus penalties.  The Chargers were almost dead last against the run but they sure knew

where Richard M was going every time he touched the ball.

Also with coaching was the cluster bump botched two point attempt that ended up rattling

McFearsome so bad he missed an extra point.  Joe and Zac were arguing leaving the field

at the half.  Joe said "miscommunication" but we're pretty far into it now for miscommunication.

And the Refs for the worse game I have ever seen reffed.

I think I said somewhere that this was a trap game of sorts.

Chargers were better prepared and wanted it more.

Next week we will tear San Francisco a new a**hole and ruining their love life.

Ja'Marr will have a huge game.

Speaking of Ja'Marr, he and an older gentleman with white hair and beard were walking into Morton's as we left.

14 hours ago, gupps said:

I think I'd give Burrow a break, he had a dislocated pinky on his throwing hand. Plus the oline played like he owed them money.

You're right, of course.

Stupid comment by me while still angry about the game.

the whole thing was just... off.  Chemistry lacking, maybe missing Reif and even Hopkins.

Hill was wretched.

One thing I noticed was the Bengals had the fewest penalties in the NFL going into the game.

Hill had (I think) three and there were a couple on Adeniji although the showed the one holding call

on the scoreboard and he did not even touch the guy.  Absolute worse reffing in the history of the NFL.

Multi minute delay to pick up a flag, one ref even had the rule book out looking up whatever it was(n't).

After a Charger challenge that turned out to be unchallengeable, the ref even did a mia cuppa pounding

his chest when he apologized to the crowd.  Twice.

I still go with trap game, mentally not in it.

And you knew it was over from the opening kickoff.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

You're right, of course.

Stupid comment by me while still angry about the game.

the whole thing was just... off.  Chemistry lacking, maybe missing Reif and even Hopkins.

Hill was wretched.

One thing I noticed was the Bengals had the fewest penalties in the NFL going into the game.

Hill had (I think) three and there were a couple on Adeniji although the showed the one holding call

on the scoreboard and he did not even touch the guy.  Absolute worse reffing in the history of the NFL.

Multi minute delay to pick up a flag, one ref even had the rule book out looking up whatever it was(n't).

After a Charger challenge that turned out to be unchallengeable, the ref even did a mia cuppa pounding

his chest when he apologized to the crowd.  Twice.

I still go with trap game, mentally not in it.

And you knew it was over from the opening kickoff.

I didn’t see the game, because I was driving back to Cincinnati from North Carolina after my over-65 team had just won the over-60 age group in the 11v11 Carolinas Cup Soccer Tournament (we did add 4 or 5 players to our roster that were between 60 and 65 years old).

[This IS vaguely related to HSH’s post and the Bengals, but if you hate soccer, go ahead and skip to the next post/thread.]

Early on in the championship match, it seemed like the young center ref’s calls were heavily favoring the North Carolina team, and mid-way through the first half, I beat one of their guys to the ball and he ended up bowling me over…an obvious foul,  but there was no call. 😡

A minute later, there was a stoppage and I took the opportunity to walk up to the 4th official and very calmly, in an inquisitive tone, asked, “Do you think the center ref is calling a good game?”

He paused and then said, “I saw what happened and think that I would have called a foul there.”  After another pause  (and probably after realizing that he needs to support the center refs calls), he added, “…but I didn’t have a good angle.”

A minute later,  the center ref came up to me and said, “You were fouled, I just missed it….sorry.” 

My immediate thoughts went to the Bengals, when they far too often receive a letter (email?) from the NFL saying, “Yes, the ref fucked up the call that cost you the game.  Sorry.”

[End of anything remotely Bengal-related…but I will continue for anyone interested.]

Fortunately, we were able to overcome the biased officiating (It got a little bit less lopsided after that exchange.).  We scored first, then a few minutes later, they equalized.  We scored another to take a 2-1 halftime lead.  Middle of 2nd half, they again equalized.  With six minutes left, we scored again, only to see them again equalize with two minutes to go.  3-3 through regulation.  No scoring through two 15-minute overtime periods…and on to PKs.

Their first kicker hit the post.  Each of the remaining kickers for each team scored…and the good guys walked away with 5-4 advantage in PKs, the victory, and the hardware. 🏆

[Our players were from Cincinnati, Lebanon, Cleveland, Toledo, Louisville, Indianapolis, South Bend (IN), Chicago, and Asheville (NC).]

964E7460-E903-4B2B-869F-918FB98D1DD4.jpeg.fc5c12495dd54a883cc49bfec6240630.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I didn’t see the game, because I was driving back to Cincinnati from North Carolina after my over-65 team had just won the over-60 age group in the 11v11 Carolinas Cup Soccer Tournament (we did add 4 or 5 players to our roster that were between 60 and 65 years old).

[This IS vaguely related to HSH’s post and the Bengals, but if you hate soccer, go ahead and skip to the next post/thread.]

Early on in the championship match, it seemed like the young center ref’s calls were heavily favoring the North Carolina team, and mid-way through the first half, I beat one of their guys to the ball and he ended up bowling me over…am obvious foul,  but there was no call. 😡

A minute later, there was a stoppage and I took the opportunity to walk up to the 4th official and very calmly in an inquisitive tone asked, “Do you think the center ref is calling a good game?”

He paused and then said, “I saw what happened and think that I would have called a foul there.”  After another pause  (and probably after realizing that he needs to support the center refs calls), he added, “…but I didn’t have a good angle.”

A minute later,  the center ref came up to me and said, “You were fouled, I just missed it….sorry.” 

My immediate thoughts went to the Bengals, when they far too often receive a letter (email?) from the NFL saying, “Yes, the ref fucked up the call that cost you the game.  Sorry.”

[End of anything remotely Bengal-related…but I will continue for anyone interested.]

Fortunately, we were able to overcome the biased officiating (It got a little bit less lopsided after that exchange.).  We scored first, then a few minutes later, they equalized.  We scored another to take a 2-1 halftime lead.  Middle of 2nd half, they again equalized.  With six minutes left, we scored again, only to see them again equalize with two minutes to go.  3-3 through regulation.  No scoring through two 15-minute overtime periods…and on to PKs.

Their first kicker hit the post.  Each of the remaining kickers for each team scored…and the good guys walked away with 5-4 advantage in PKs, the victory, and the hardware. 🏆

[Our players were from Cincinnati, Lebanon, Cleveland, Toledo, Louisville, Indianapolis, South Bend (IN), Chicago, and Asheville (NC).]

That is a spry group of my 60+contemporaries. Congratulations and well-done! I often tell people that the average footballer at the professional level runs between 7-10 miles per match. That is athleticism. You you blokes get to 15 miles? 😄 I suspect a #10 position for your role? 

Right proper ref! At least he didn't give you the crap of this Premier League twit:

Kevin Friend salary

39 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

That is a spry group of my 60+contemporaries. Congratulations and well-done! I often tell people that the average footballer at the professional level runs between 7-10 miles per match. That is athleticism. You you blokes get to 15 miles? 😄 I suspect a #10 position for your role? 

Right proper ref! At least he didn't give you the crap of this Premier League twit:

Kevin Friend salary

Well, I turn 67 today, so I was one of the older guys out there.  In our over-40 league, I have put in some 5+ mile games, but haven’t measured in a while.

The championship match was our third 90-minute match in a 24-hour period (11:00 am and 3:00 pm Saturday, and 9:00 am Sunday).  We were supposed to play at 9:00 am and then have the Championship match in the afternoon.  Since we were both 2-0 coming into the match, both teams requested that we just play the 9:00 match as the championship…and they allowed it.

I play up top in a 4-4-2 formation.  I didn’t start playing soccer until I was 43, so I’m lacking in skill, but I’m fast and can typically keep running after others have petered out.  The most effective part of my game is pressuring the defense when they end up with the ball, stealing a few balls, and forcing bad kicks.  I am also good at drawing free kicks…assuming that the ref calls it (No, I do NOT dive.).  

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

So, no....not Chase.

If the award was for the person who made the most impactful negative play in any game, you might have a point. But it isn't, and you don't.

The award is for failing in style. Jamar's Jamuggle is a shining example of the caliber of failure we are looking for. Fumbling defeat from the jaws of victory with flair and joie de vivre. If the AP managed to catch a still of you with a dumb look on your face, bonus points.

There are weeks where it's debatable, this isn't one of them. If you still disagree with the group consensus, the question isn't "Why are they wrong", the question is "What don't I understand about this?"

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If the award was for the person who made the most impactful negative play in any game, you might have a point. But it isn't, and you don't.

The award is for failing in style. Jamar's Jamuggle is a shining example of the caliber of failure we are looking for. Fumbling defeat from the jaws of victory with flair and joie de vivre. If the AP managed to catch a still of you with a dumb look on your face, bonus points.

There are weeks where it's debatable, this isn't one of them. If you still disagree with the group consensus, the question isn't "Why are they wrong", the question is "What don't I understand about this?"

Sure. 

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Well, I turn 67 today, so I was one of the older guys out there.  In our over-40 league, I have put in some 5+ mile games, but haven’t measured in a while.

The championship match was our third 90-minute match in a 24-hour period (11:00 am and 3:00 pm Saturday, and 9:00 am Sunday).  We were supposed to play at 9:00 am and then have the Championship match in the afternoon.  Since we were both 2-0 coming into the match, both teams requested that we just play the 9:00 match as the championship…and they allowed it.

I play up top in a 4-4-2 formation.  I didn’t start playing soccer until I was 43, so I’m lacking in skill, but I’m fast and can typically keep running after others have petered out.  The most effective part of my game is pressuring the defense when they end up with the ball, stealing a few balls, and forcing bad kicks.  I am also good at drawing free kicks…assuming that the ref calls it (No, I do NOT dive.).  

Many happy returns, sir! My admiration for these 60+ groups is boundless. 5 miles a match equals what most folks' (myself included) might do in a week. 

The 4-4-2 has mostly become the Wing-T in world football. I can only think of a handful of sides who still use it--Burnley and Brighton in the PL who I have seen recently. Can be an effective formation with creative front center-back attackers. 

In the "learn something new every week" department, I knew there was a legal name for the "dive" foul, and saw two of them called--in the same match--this weekend. Watch out for the next "simulation" yellow card on your pitch--if the refs know what that is! 😄

4 hours ago, Cricket said:

Early on in the championship match, it seemed like the young center ref’s calls were heavily favoring the North Carolina team, and mid-way through the first half, I beat one of their guys to the ball and he ended up bowling me over…an obvious foul,  but there was no call. 😡

A minute later, there was a stoppage and I took the opportunity to walk up to the 4th official and very calmly, in an inquisitive tone, asked, “Do you think the center ref is calling a good game?”

Congrats..

Your a champion..

I havent won anything since a doubles tournament in tennis (4.5 )

30yrs ago.lol..

Really cool Cricket..

11 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Many happy returns, sir! My admiration for these 60+ groups is boundless. 5 miles a match equals what most folks' (myself included) might do in a week. 

The 4-4-2 has mostly become the Wing-T in world football. I can only think of a handful of sides who still use it--Burnley and Brighton in the PL who I have seen recently. Can be an effective formation with creative front center-back attackers. 

In the "learn something new every week" department, I knew there was a legal name for the "dive" foul, and saw two of them called--in the same match--this weekend. Watch out for the next "simulation" yellow card on your pitch--if the refs know what that is! 😄

The refs in the over-40 men’s league that I run are well aware of simulation…but it tends to not be a problem in this league.

We don’t use what might be called a “standard” 4-4-2, because that exhausts the outside players with all of the up and back running.  Not wise to use unless your players have the required fitness to not become a liability later in games. 

As a SAY coach, I came up with what I call a double-diamond 4-4-2…and carried it over to my adult teams.  The back line and the midfield line can become more flat if the players’ preference and/or game status calls for it.  The key advantage in my 4-4-2 is how I employ the top two.  

Usually teams have some of their strongest players at sweeper and stopper, so there is a strong incentive to attack through the outside.  In a standard 4-4-2, it is typically the outside midfielders making the runs into the corners.  In MY 4-4-2, one of the forwards is usually in the middle, while the other is WIDE…on whichever side the ball is advancing.  A pass to this outside forward can get there much sooner than having your outside midfielder run to the corner.  With a forward having the ball in the corner, the  outside mid is then free to make a dangerous diagonal run toward goal.

It really cuts down on the amount of running required by the midfielders.  

My team in the over-40 league consists mostly of players in our 60s, but we can hold our own against many of the lower-tier teams in our 16-team league. 

Of course, they are not a team to emulate, but late in this past season, FC Cincinnati employed a 4-4-2, with a diamond in the middle.  I’m not sure if they were flat or had a diamond in the back, but I was quite shocked to see it.

22 minutes ago, Cricket said:

The refs in the over-40 men’s league that I run are well aware of simulation…but it tends to not be a problem in this league.

We don’t use what might be called a “standard” 4-4-2, because that exhausts the outside players with all of the up and back running.  Not wise to use unless your players have the required fitness to not become a liability later in games. 

As a SAY coach, I came up with what I call a double-diamond 4-4-2…and carried it over to my adult teams.  The back line and the midfield line can become more flat if the players’ preference and/or game status calls for it.  The key advantage in my 4-4-2 is how I employ the top two.  

Usually teams have some of their strongest players at sweeper and stopper, so there is a strong incentive to attack through the outside.  In a standard 4-4-2, it is typically the outside midfielders making the runs into the corners.  In MY 4-4-2, one of the forwards is usually in the middle, while the other is WIDE…on whichever side the ball is advancing.  A pass to this outside forward can get there much sooner than having your outside midfielder run to the corner.  With a forward having the ball in the corner, the  outside mid is then free to make a dangerous diagonal run toward goal.

It really cuts down on the amount of running required by the midfielders.  

My team in the over-40 league consists mostly of players in our 60s, but we can hold our own against many of the lower-tier teams in our 16-team league. 

Of course, they are not a team to emulate, but late in this past season, FC Cincinnati employed a 4-4-2, with a diamond in the middle.  I’m not sure if they were flat or had a diamond in the back, but I was quite shocked to see it.

Brilliant! I am going to watch closely for the "Double Diamond 4-4-2" in other leagues. You look to be on to something!

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Brilliant! I am going to watch closely for the "Double Diamond 4-4-2" in other leagues. You look to be on to something!

No. When ALL players in the game are fit, I’m not sure how much advantage this would provide.  

I will add that in that championship match yesterday, if someone would have watched the first 15 or 20 minutes, they’d think that there would be no way that my team would have won.  The other team had a lot more players with better soccer skills and were generally more physically fit.  Our formation and “scrappiness” carried us to the win.

I also developed a formation that we utilized to win the 2019 championship in the 58+ age group of the 8v8 Beer City Cup in Asheville, NC.  

We also have won championships in other small-sided soccer tournaments in Louisville, Ft. Wayne, and Chicago.

Archived