The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: Los Angeles Chargers 12/06/21

GOOD

Tee Higgins-Another solid game with another great catch. 9 grabs for 138 yards and a TD

Tyler Boyd-5 receptions for 85 yards

Eli Apple-He takes a good beating by Bengals fans but he played well yesterday including breaking up what could have been a long TD

Germaine Pratt-he was in on a lot of plays including a FF and recovered fumble

Larry Ogunjobi, Trey Hendrickson, BJ Hill and Sam Hubbard-Combined for 3 sacks and 3 tackles for a loss

Joe Bachie-6 solo tackles in relief of Logan Wilson. Thought he played well all things considered.

BAD

Joe Burrow-Despite the moxie he showed and a MASSIVE assist from Gator Chase, he had another 3 turnovers today. 14 INTs and 4 fumbles in 12 games now. He's got to do a better job.

Jonah Williams, Isaiah Prince and Trey Hill-Garbage performance. I realize Prince and Hill are back ups but Burrow takes another 6 sacks and gets hurt again. Burrow now the second most sacked QB (some of which is on him).

C.J. Uzomah-Where'd you go CJ?!? 95 yards and zero TDs in the last five games. 

Pooka Williams-Underwhelming performance returning kicks

Jessie Bates-He had the fumble recovery that basically flew into his arms but otherwise, he doesn't look a lot like a guy playing for a contract. Not sure if Bell's inability to cover is making him look worse but...what happened last year?

UGLY

Ja'Marr Chase-Another 3 drops including a game changing handoff to Michael Davis which if caught would have made the game 9-7

Joe Mixon-I know it's rare but the fumble was obviously a huge gaffe at a terrible time. Ended all hope of a comeback.

Two Point Conversion Clusterfuck-Nice job Taylor. 

Deer in the headlights.

Zac started the game too cute for his own good. The Chargers are bad against the run. So let's line up heavy and then split out all the TE's into pass routes! Umm, no. Well, the Zone run worked well last week, I'm sure the Chargers don't watch film... Oh, they do. 

Lou called a pretty good game. The Chargers were better. Their WR's were catching balls while our guys were draped over them.

The two that get me:

Why is Logan Wilson on kick coverage? Why?

Someone explain to me the wisdom of going for 2 points when it's 24-6. What, you're only 3 TD's and 3 2 point conversions away? Sure, that's playing the mother fuggin odds. Instead, you wasted a time out, and iced your own kicker. I've been to one world's fair and two rodeos, and that's still the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The ONLY reason I can think it was even considered is as part of a penis measuring contest. Chargers just went for two on us....

Bonus: "Hey, crazy idea, but what if we used all of our timeouts at 7 minutes in the 4th quarter??"

Double Bonus: "Joe's hurt? Well, send him out there to try and score from the 10... But not too much. I mean, subject him to danger, but don't be aggressive about it."

If Zac is good at building "culture" - fine. Let him be GM. But his gameday skills are seriously lacking.

So despite the whole 2 point conversion thing, shouldn’t McPherson still make that kick? I mean it’s not like it really cost one way or another but there’s no way that McPherson should get a pass for missing an easy kick, IMO. 

16 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So despite the whole 2 point conversion thing, shouldn’t McPherson still make that kick? I mean it’s not like it really cost one way or another but there’s no way that McPherson should get a pass for missing an easy kick, IMO. 

Well, you have to ask yourself... Is that a kick other NFL kickers would miss?

I'm not thrilled with it, and I remember the Jet's game. Kid needs to learn to just kick the XP, not boom it to Jupiter.

But I also don't think you can look at that miss in isolation from the chaos that the idiotic attempt to go for 2 brought forth. I didn't see the snap and hold... Maybe it was Huber or Harris who's to blame. Considering that there's absolutely no logical reason to go for two based on time and score... Everything after the idiotic decision is moot. Hard to be mad at Evan when he shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

Maybe the blame goes to Burrow for failing to get the play off if you want to absolve Taylor. But once you've decided to jump off a cliff, you can't blame the rocks below. It was a DUMB decision that crushed momentum.

EDIT: I just saw Taylor's comments that he called the wrong play coming out of a Time Out. At least he's owning it.... I guess.

22 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Bonus: "Hey, crazy idea, but what if we used all of our timeouts at 7 minutes in the 4th quarter??"

You are spot-on with a lot of what you post; however, if you call a timeout with seven minutes left, you save 40 seconds on the clock.  If you call a timeout with one minute left, you save 40 seconds on the clock.  40 seconds equals 40 seconds.

If you call it early, you risk the chance that you have saved time for the opposition to respond if you somehow do end up taking the lead.  

But if you call the timeouts early and your team is reeling from what has happened in the field, it can give your players/coaches the needed extra time to get composed, make adjustments, etc.  Obviously, if that was their plan, this time it didn’t work.

[I didn’t see the game, but I’m assuming that they were calling the timeouts to save time in the clock…and hopefully to make adjustments.]

Just now, Cricket said:

You are spot-on with a lot of what you post; however, if you call a timeout with seven minutes left, you save 40 seconds on the clock.  If you call a timeout with one minute left, you save 40 seconds on the clock.  40 seconds equals 40 seconds.

If you call it early, you risk the chance that you have saved time for the opposition to respond if you somehow do end up taking the lead.  

But if you call the timeouts early and your team is reeling from what has happened in the field, it can give your players/coaches the needed extra time to get composed, make adjustments, etc.  Obviously, if that was their plan, this time it didn’t work.

[I didn’t see the game, but I’m assuming that they were calling the timeouts to save time in the clock…and hopefully to make adjustments.]

You also give the defense more time to not worry about you working the middle of the field. It's slight, but it's something.

Also, the timing rules don't kick in until there's 5 minutes left in the game.

Save one for a possible end of game field goal? Their execution in an emergency left something to be desired earlier in the game.

If the game is so far out of reach that you have to start calling all of your TO's that early... You don't need to be calling your TO's.

Something early that bothered me. On the Chargers first drive we had them stopped at our 4 yard line with a 4th down.  They decided to go for it, which was ballsy from the 4.  As they lined up we had at least 2 backs waving their arms at each other and the sideline in obvious confusion. It was well before the snap. There was plenty of time to call a time out. Herbert threw a laser to Allen for a touchdown through tight coverage by 3 backs. I'm not sure if a time out would have helped, but still. It bugs me how this team comes out not ready.  There's 60 minutes in a game and they all count. This game was lost in the first quarter, for instance. If these guys don't buckle down and fight every second for every inch, and focus all week on the task at hand, they will not win a playoff game. The tone is set early, often in pro football, and this team doesn't have the pass protection to enjoy good press all week then use the first quarter to get warmed up. I think the talent is here to juggle our shortcomings and still do damage, but it's gonna require some maniacal focus that I haven't seen..... not yet.

Why did we have seven inactive players?

I thought we were only required to have five.

#Bengals inactives vs #Chargers: 

C Trey Hopkins
RT Riley Reiff
HB Chris Evans
WR Mike Thomas
CB Darius Phillips 
DE Khalid Kareem
DT Tyler Shelvin

I'm sure we could have used Shelvin's wide body somewhere.  I guess the other six were injured unless

Shelvin was, too.

18 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Why did we have seven inactive players?

I thought we were only required to have five.

#Bengals inactives vs #Chargers: 

C Trey Hopkins
RT Riley Reiff
HB Chris Evans
WR Mike Thomas
CB Darius Phillips 
DE Khalid Kareem
DT Tyler Shelvin

I'm sure we could have used Shelvin's wide body somewhere.  I guess the other six were injured unless

Shelvin was, too.

Shelvin has been hurt most of the year. Have no idea how or when it happened

On 12/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, Shebengal said:

Logan Wilson was in on kick coverage because Markus Bailey went out with an injury.

I saw that after as well... Couldn't have been that hard to tell Joe Batchi to run really fast at the guy with the ball... You have to wonder if (much like the 2 point try) that call would have been different if they hadn't gouged us on the opening kickoff.

Looking forward to seeing Burrow and Chase out there covering kicks next week.

Archived