The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: San Francisco 49ers 12/11/21

GOOD

Joe Burrow-If you don't think this is our franchise QB, you don't watch football. He makes errors but he's a stud. 25 of 34 for 348 and 2 TDs. Should have been let loose to win the game.

Tee Higgins-I thought he had a great game. 114 yards and now over 800 on the season in only 11 games played.

Ja'Marr Chase-He makes two appearances on my list but, this was the good part. His two TDs put them back in to the game. 1.000+ yards and 10+ TDs on the season is nothing to sneeze about

Defensive Line-Reader, Ogunjobi. Hill and Hendrickson combined for four sacks and five tackles for a loss. The Hendrickson injury was felt later in the game.

Chidobe Awuzie-Was quietly terrific yesterday. 2 passes defended, 4 solo tackles and a TFL. Deebo Samuel wasn't a factor in the passing game.

BAD

Joe Mixon-Wildly unproductive running. Was essentially a non-factor

Evan McPherson-It was 46 yards and you made the others but, that missed FG hurt

Offensive Line-Joe Burrow's heroics made them look less horseshit but they were terrible. Nick Bosa alone had TEN hits on Burrow. He was under fire all day and once again taking too many hard hits.

UGLY

Jessie Bates-Dropped a potential game winning INT. You want to be considered to be and paid like a top safety? Play like one.

Ja'Marr Chase-Gator put three more on the ground this week. I admit that one was a circus catch but Sir-Drops-A-Lot now leads the league in dropped passes and all three were impactful.

Vonn Bell-Got abused by Geroge Kittle all day but what made him go from bad to ugly was the totally unnecessary taunting penalty.

Zac Taylor-Another slow start, got completely outcoached and the entirely uncalled for cautious play calling in overtime in scoring territory was deflating

Darius Phillips-Should have been cut last night. If it was up to me, he'd never see the field again for the Bengals

22 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

BAD

Joe Mixon-Wildly unproductive running. Was essentially a non-factor

Evan McPherson-It was 46 yards and you made the others but, that missed FG hurt

In all fairness, Mixon was trying to run against one of the top rushing defenses in the NFL, which makes Taylor's decision to run twice in OT when they were within striking distance.

Also, Robbie Gould missed the game winning FG after making 21 straight FGs to tie or win the game so that kind of offsets but McPherson should have made that. 

• BengalFanInTO changed the title to The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: San Francisco 49ers 12/11/21
17 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

In all fairness, Mixon was trying to run against one of the top rushing defenses in the NFL, which makes Taylor's decision to run twice in OT when they were within striking distance.

Also, Robbie Gould missed the game winning FG after making 21 straight FGs to tie or win the game so that kind of offsets but McPherson should have made that. 

Sorry, there's no sympathy coming from me for Mixon. I'm a fan of his but, he's a Top 5 paid RB. He needs to show up in big games. He stunk. McPherson hits that FG, the Bengals win in regulation. You're too nice SheBengal. 

16 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Sorry, there's no sympathy coming from me for Mixon. I'm a fan of his but, he's a Top 5 paid RB. He needs to show up in big games. He stunk. McPherson hits that FG, the Bengals win in regulation. You're too nice SheBengal. 

Fair enough. 

As for being too nice, check with some of the fellows in Chat. They will tell you otherwise. ;)

You can certainly make the case that the 2 botched punts and the missed field goal sunk us.

You could even throw in the Bates dropped interception.

I think the biggest "ugly" from this game was the play calling.

We (Zach) took this offense, with all it's talent and scored 6 points in 3 quarters.

That's unforgivable and I haven't necessarily been a Zach hater.

Something has to change.

When I watch Mixon play he either seems to be Bruce Banner or the Hulk. Something has to get him fired up.

He wasn't yesterday.

Here’s what Vonn Bell said to 49ers player on controversial taunting flag

Here’s what Vonn Bell said to 49ers player on controversial taunting flag

Chris Roling
Mon, December 13, 2021, 9:22 AM

During his team’s loss to the San Francisco 49ers over the weekend, Cincinnati Bengals safety Vonn Bell got hit with a taunting penalty on a critical third down.

Bell, after helping put an end to the 49ers’ drive, pointed at a 49ers player and instantly earned a flag.

It looked relatively harmless in real time, but officials thought it was enough to throw a flag, which extended San Francisco’s drive and ultimately resulted in points.

So what did Bell say? Per defensive tackle D.J. Reader himself, all Bell said was “You almost hit me.”

On one hand, Bell has to know better than to point at another player. Those are the (ridiculously silly) rules. He’s already had one similar taunting flag cost his team this year.

On the other, this is the problem with these rules. It’s subjective down to the individual official who, in this case, wasn’t even close enough to see what Bell said. And there were several instances of 49ers players “taunting” later in the game that should have earned flags if the crew called things consistently.

Either way, there’s not much anyone can do about the silly taunting emphasis until the offseason. Bengals players will just have to keep in mind how fickle some officiating crews can be and nail down the NFL’s preferred behavior.

It makes me screamingly lol with these pointless “rules” such as taunting. Da fuck cares what some guy says or points or whatever sideshow crap they do? 

Back in my playing days, if some twit wanted to get in your grill for anything…and especially if you were ahead…you just pointed to the place where it showed who was leading and said “scoreboard bitch”. Now, they want to pussy it up even further. 

Sure though…make another rule in the off-season that they will not be able to call effectively 

Good..

JB leading them back.

Higgins is a beast..

Dline was stoked..

Awuzie ..an artist at his trade.

Bad..

Drops and drops and...

ZT is a soft ass playcaller..

Ugly...

ZTs playcalling...

WTF is Callahan actually there for?

ZT is too damn  inexperienced to call plays and HC duties ..

Uglier Still: That Bell's penalty was even called in the first place, and if it has to be, you HAVE to call the Niners for an even more egregious violation of the rule later in the game after a big hit. Same ref on both plays, too. 

*Wasn't Mixon really sick and almost didn't play as a result? It seemed clear to me that he didn't have that burst he normally has when he's earning YAC early in the game, AND that the o-line wasn't doing him any favors either, which makes Zac's inexplicable decision to take the ball out of Burrow's hands 1st and 10 at the 49ers 26yd line even more hard to swallow or understand. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Uglier Still: That Bell's penalty was even called in the first place, and if it has to be, you HAVE to call the Niners for an even more egregious violation of the rule later in the game after a big hit. Same ref on both plays, too. 

*Wasn't Mixon really sick and almost didn't play as a result? It seemed clear to me that he didn't have that burst he normally has when he's earning YAC early in the game, AND that the o-line wasn't doing him any favors either, which makes Zac's inexplicable decision to take the ball out of Burrow's hands 1st and 10 at the 49ers 26yd line even more hard to swallow or understand. 

Good points..

Reiff playing on a bad ankle wasnt helping open any gaps for Mixon as well..

Where were the gaps??..

Nor much daylight ..

Can never deny his efforts though..

The 49ers d line and LBers are really good and running lanes hard to come by in best of circumstances. Their DBs were massively injured.

It is the main reason our gameplan was looney tunes- even before you factor in Mixon’s illness and Reiff still being banged up. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

That video is worth watching. 

Someone and I wont name names, was trying to stay Jonah was a problem on Sunday, when it was Spain who had his worst game as a pro.

Seeing Spain in person on the sidelines... the guy is monstrously HUGE esp in the butt and thighs and not in a good way.

I don't see how he can even get into the stance and move.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Seeing Spain in person on the sidelines... the guy is monstrously HUGE esp in the butt and thighs and not in a good way.

I don't see how he can even get into the stance and move.

Hes not leaning over his butt or thighs.

Its the gut that could hamper a players stance.

So...was he girthy?...

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Someone and I wont name names, was trying to stay Jonah was a problem on Sunday, when it was Spain who had his worst game as a pro.

Yes Spain had a bad day..2 sacks 5 pressures

Adenijji gave up 9 pressures..

We still have a HUGE interior problem..

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

You're kind of pointing out tallest midget...

Spain and Williams can both have bad games. Spain can have the worst game of his career ad Jonah Williams can have a kinda bad game. Spain can be much worse than Williams - that doesn't mean Williams is good. I distinctly recall at least one third down sack where Spain and Williams both completely missed their blocks. Whiff-a-roonie.

I mean - shocker that he's better than our 3rd string RG 6th round pick. Or our backup RT. Or that we can point to Spain having one really bad game as an absolution of the previous 13 games for Jonah. Doesn't matter if Jamar Chase had some drops... Stanley Morgan played worse.

The numbers don't lie... Williams is an average LT at best. He has an average PFF grade, average number of sacks given up.... At one of football's premiere positions. LG's aren't "worth" drafting in the first round. LT's go #1. When is the last time a team used the Franchise tag to keep a LG? PFF grade - Spain is the 10th best LG in the league, Jonah is the #22 ranked LT. Which position would you upgrade given a chance?

34 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Williams didn't have a bad game though, he was ok. Williams has struggled against the top teir DEs but has been lockdown against everyone else. 

Much in the same way that Whitworth did when he was first moved from LG to LT.

But I digress....

Except... That's just not correct. You're not the #22 ranked LT because you've been "lockdown" most weeks. You're not tied for 5th in sacks.

Jonah has already given up more sacks this year than Whit's first full season at Tackle. Whit took the job due to injury and never gave it back.

The reality is this: We have 2 of the worst centers in the league. Trey Hopkins is 36 out of 38. RG? Carman and Hadjeni are 73 and 75 out of 80. RT: Reiff is 50 out of 82. Our line SUCKS. Quentin Spain is the only lineman we have ranked better than 16 at his position. Let that sink in.

And since we passed on Sewell, the magnifying glass has to be on Williams. Is he our worst lineman? No. Is he better than the average NFL LT? Not right now. Two years running he's been the anchor for a line that has seen their QB get hit at a league leading rate. Most important position - biggest spotlight.

I like the guy. Wish I could say we have one of the best LT's in the league. Reiff is my RT in Madden 2020 and he's a beast. I was hoping for good things from the guy. But I'm not going to fool myself that McDonald's is a filet mignon.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Except... That's just not correct. You're not the #22 ranked LT because you've been "lockdown" most weeks. You're not tied for 5th in sacks.

Jonah has already given up more sacks this year than Whit's first full season at Tackle. Whit took the job due to injury and never gave it back.

The reality is this: We have 2 of the worst centers in the league. Trey Hopkins is 36 out of 38. RG? Carman and Hadjeni are 73 and 75 out of 80. RT: Reiff is 50 out of 82. Our line SUCKS. Quentin Spain is the only lineman we have ranked better than 16 at his position. Let that sink in.

And since we passed on Sewell, the magnifying glass has to be on Williams. Is he our worst lineman? No. Is he better than the average NFL LT? Not right now. Two years running he's been the anchor for a line that has seen their QB get hit at a league leading rate. Most important position - biggest spotlight.

I like the guy. Wish I could say we have one of the best LT's in the league. Reiff is my RT in Madden 2020 and he's a beast. I was hoping for good things from the guy. But I'm not going to fool myself that McDonald's is a filet mignon.

And there it is.......

Archived