2021 AFC North Playoff Picture (and Real-Time Week 18 Playoff Speculation)

54 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I think it was his 18.  Yikes!

SD's timeout with 38 seconds left was another crucial mistake. 

Before this game I already thought Brandon Staley was one of the dumbest coaches in the NFL. Last night, he solidified my belief. If I was a Chargers fan, I'd be calling for his head today.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

100%  Bengals have one of the smallest fanbases in football.  Why would they?  The NFL is about money.

They could’ve put them on prime time on Saturday is the point.  No matter what day it is, I agree, more fans will watch them, but to give them an extra day is BS!  NFL Parity? Yea, right.

30 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

They could’ve put them on prime time on Saturday is the point.  No matter what day it is, I agree, more fans will watch them, but to give them an extra day is BS!  NFL Parity? Yea, right.

My opinion is this was done to highlight one of the NFL darlings, Patrick Mahomes, not for the Stealers. The Stealers are going to get their asses kicked any way whether it's Saturday, Sunday or Monday. That old, fat fuck has zero chance of hanging with the Chiefs offensively. I'm thrilled that his last game will be a huge flaming loss.

To answer Harry:  Highest seed hosts lowest seed every round.  We are the 4 seed of 7.  We are middle of the pack.  If we play 1-2-3 we travel, if we play 5-6-7 we host.

For the Wildcard, we host 5/Raiders.  If we win, we ONLY host a game in the Division round if #7 and #6 both pull upsets of #2 and #3 respectively, which would have us hosting 6/Patriots while 7/Stealers play at 1/Titans.  If we get through that, then we play AT Titans or we HOST Stealers.

We can also be on the road for the Divisional Round and host the Championship.  That would happen if ONE of NEP/PIT won in the opening round, and then won in the second round too to get to us.

Essentially, we can host as many as THREE games during the playoffs.  Every time a home team wins in one of the other games, we lose one potential home game.

I am NOT going to build a flow-chart.... but assuming we keep winning, here's who/where we would play during each round:

WILD CARD ROUND:  5/LVR at 4/CIN 6/NEP at 3/BUF, 7/PIT at 2/KCC (1/TEN bye)

- We open at home as a division champ

SCENARIO 1 - Home Teams win BOTH of the other two Wild Card Games:

- We become the lowest-seeded survivor, so we get no more home games.

- We play the Divisional round at Tennessee while BUF goes to KCC

- If we advance, we travel to the BUF/KCC winner

SCENARIO 2 - Exactly ONE Home Team wins in the other two Wild Card Games, and that team is BUF

- PIT upsets KCC in this scenario, we become the defacto #3 seed

- 1/TEN 3/BUF 4/CIN 7/PIT

- We travel to BUF, PIT plays at TEN

- If we advance, we travel to TEN or we host PIT

SCENARIO 3 - Exactly ONE Home Team wins in the other two Wild Card Games, and that team is KCC

- NEP upsets BUF in this scenario, we become the defacto #3 seed

- 1/TEN 2/KCC 4/CIN 6/NEP

- We travel to KCC, NEP plays at TEN

- If we advance, we travel to TEN or we host NEP

SCENARIO 4 - Visiting Teams win BOTH of the other two Wild Card Games:

- We become the defacto #2 seed and play the Divisional Round at home

- 1/TEN 4/CIN 6/NEP 7/PIT

- We host NEP, PIT travels to TEN

- If we advance, we travel to TEN or we host PIT (in a possible 3rd home game)

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I want that fatface pos to go out a with a loss..

A humiliating loss..

Seriously. Like a 25 sack game, where he's skipped more balls to his receivers than completions. 5 interceptions. 2 Fumbles.

39 minutes ago, Cat said:

Seriously. Like a 25 sack game, where he's skipped more balls to his receivers than completions. 5 interceptions. 2 Fumbles.

Yeah, when last night's game didn't end in a tie, I kept telling myself that maybe it was for the best...that way the Stealers could be utterly humiliated in KC on PrimeTime TV.

11 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Yeah, when last night's game didn't end in a tie, I kept telling myself that maybe it was for the best...that way the Stealers could be utterly humiliated in KC on PrimeTime TV.

Fully expect, however, endless clips of Benny’s career…and many “changing of the guard” references with that other guy in a split screen. 

Likely will not watch a minute of it. 

I'm gonna speculate on the Divisional Round schedule here.

We'll know the AFC pairings as soon as PIT loses to KCC (or not):

4/Cincinnati at 1/Tennessee

3/Buffalo at 2/Kansas City

-or-

7/Pittsburgh at 1/Tennessee

4/Cincinnati at 3/Buffalo

For the NFC, with Tampa beating down Philly, the SFF-DAL game being played right now will set the pairings:

6/San Francisco at 1/Green Bay

5/ARI-4/LAR winner at 2/Tampa Bay

-or-

5/ARI-4/LAR winner at 1/Green Bay

3/Dallas as 2/Tampa Bay

I expect the NFL can and will announce the Divisional schedule tonight during SNF, since both ARI+LAR are west-based teams who will be traveling to the same destination.  They'll likely NOT have the Cards or Rams play on Saturday, considering that they don't play until Monday night, to avoid royally screwing them over.  Since they're west-based, they'll likely play in the later time slot on Sunday.  Unfortunately for the NFC, they won't yet know which Bay (Green or Tampa) that will be, but they're both at home right now, will be at home next weekend, and can just fucking deal with it.  The traveling teams will be set.

In the AFC, all 5 teams are in the Central/Eastern time zones so the league has the luxury of scheduling them however they want.  If it were up to me, I would have TEN play on Saturday, giving them an extra day of rest before the Conference Championship.  Someone has to get that extra day, it may as well be a perk tied to the #1 slot.  Since TEN cannot play BUF, BUF plays on Sunday.  Whomever plays those two teams (based on the PIT/KCC final) will get their travel schedule.

So....  my guess is:

Saturday

4:30p - PIT -or- CIN at Tennessee (FOX)

8:15p - San Francisco at Green Bay -or- Dallas at Tampa Bay (NBC)

Sunday

3:05p - BUF at KCC -or- CIN at BUF (CBS)

6:40p - ARI/LAR winner at Green Bay -or- Tampa Bay (FOX)

All pairings will be known (or knowable) tonight, other than knowing the ARI/LAR winner.  But the SFF/DAL game will determine when GBP and TBB host their games, so it's okay.

For the networks:

NBC gets the only -true- night game, 8:15pm Saturday

FOX gets two games (they only got one last week) which need to be on different days, so they get the Saturday TEN game and the Sunday NFC game.

CBS gets the remaining game, the Sunday AFC game.

20 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I have not watching Tenn at all this year. Other than Tannehill being above avg but below elie and thier run game which is huge - what is the strengths and weakneeses of thier D?

their defense is pretty good and Vrabel has them playing inspired football.

I also would rather play the Titans than the Bills but both are tough draws.

Then again.....so are we (as long as our D-line is not decimated)

51 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

their defense is pretty good and Vrabel has them playing inspired football.

I also would rather play the Titans than the Bills but both are tough draws.

Then again.....so are we (as long as our D-line is not decimated)

A little OT but caught part of Tim McGee on the post game show last

night and he said Tenn RB Derrick Henry is a force to be recorded with.

A solid healthy Cincinnati D line is crucial.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Buffalo, especially on their turf. They are playing so well right now. When Allen gets going they are absolutely explosive. I'd rather have them have to travel to Arrowhead and we take our chances at Tenn

48 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

SFF 23, DAL 17

Updated speculation:

Saturday

4:30p - PIT -or- CIN at Tennessee (FOX)

8:15p - San Francisco at Green Bay (NBC)

Sunday

3:05p - BUF at KCC -or- CIN at BUF (CBS)

6:40p - ARI/LAR winner at Tampa Bay (FOX)

You don't think Wheels Burrow is a hot enough commodity

and shiny new toy to show off prime time?

And I want no part of Buffalo in the winter even if I'm not going.

Archived