Chiefs Week

I have no expectation we win this game, the Chiefs right now are the best team in the AFC, and maybe the league imho. 

Keep it close and build some confidence going into the Browns game, and hopefully/likely, the playoffs and we could do some damage in them and may even get a 2nd shot at them.

Not so fast, my friend (Lee Corso voice)...

Watching them last night--and other games too--they may be curiously vulnerable against the run. The Stealers racked up 130 yards on them. The Badger was dinged last night--and they are quiet as to his condition. Thinking they may also be fair to partly cloudy to pass against. 

Of course, the lack of TE coverage, and that guy at QB, may offset any defensive issues..so there is that. 

You Play to Win the Game - The Palomar Group 

Oh believe me I want to win, it would basically secure the division, as I don't see the Ravens beating the Rams and if the Browns win that's the division for us. 

But I'm not ready to put us on that level yet.

I think we are a playoff team, I think we can win game(s) in the playoffs. Can we be the #2 team in the AFCC? I'm not saying no, I'm not saying yes. Yet.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Not so fast, my friend (Lee Corso voice)...

Watching them last night--and other games too--they may be curiously vulnerable against the run. The Stealers racked up 130 yards on them. The Badger was dinged last night--and they are quiet as to his condition. Thinking they may also be fair to partly cloudy to pass against. 

Of course, the lack of TE coverage, and that guy at QB, may offset any defensive issues..so there is that. 

You Play to Win the Game - The Palomar Group 

Throw in that the Chiefs have clinched the division, so they may not be anxious to play some of their dinged up players. 

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

I remember the last time a Chiefs team that had won 8 in a row faced the Bengals....

A betting man might say they're due for a loss.

Any given Sunday my friend.

I was just in the middle of posting about that......

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/7/9/8914457/bengals-moments-the-guarantee

Bengals Moments: Chad Johnson's Guarantee

Chad Johnson proclaimed it and the team backed him up as the Bengals went on to top the undefeated Chiefs on November 16, 2003.

In 2003 the Kansas City Chiefs were easily the most dominant team in football. Heading into their Week 11 matchup in Cincinnati they were 9-0 and facing a Bengals team holding a 4-5 record. It didn't take an expert to predict the outcome of this game. No one really gave the Bengals a chance. No one except for Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson.

Leave it to the most outspoken member of the organization to make everyone associated with the Bengals cringe as he declared to the media that the Bengals win over the visiting Chiefs was guaranteed. In what has become one of the defining moments in his career, Johnson followed in the footsteps of other greats like Muhammed Ali and Babe Ruth by calling his shot. (Ok, so not so legendary, but at the time for a Bengals fanbase struggling for tiny morsels, it was epic).

What a storm this created. Every media outlet ran with the story as it was going to go well for them either way. Imagine the Bengals did win, then they could dig up references to Ali, Namath and Ruth. Or if the Bengals lost, they could reference the silly Bengals and the mouth of the flamboyant receiver.

Guarantee

Well, it was meant to be. The Bengals not only stood strong to their word, but they delivered in glorious fashion. The first half had the two teams enter the locker room tied at 3-3. The fourth quarter is where the Bengals' Peter Warrick shined. After telling wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh he was going to seal the game with a kiss, he returned a punt 66 yards for a touchdown. Later he added a 77 yard touchdown catch for good measure. Warrick outshined electric return man, Dante Hall, in the game.

The Bengals did more than beat an undefeated team that day. They created a blue print for the rest of the league to beat the once unbeatable Chiefs. Kansas City had done well to disguise their weaknesses. They had a suspect defense and a sub-par passing game. They relied on stopping the run and running the ball with an outstanding rushing attack. The Bengals attacked fearlessly on offense and forced Chiefs QB, Trent Green to beat them.

Bengals running back Rudi Johnson delivered with 165 yards on the ground. This dwarfed the output of outstanding running back Priest Holmes of the Chiefs. The victory was sealed and Marvin Lewis held back tears as he presented the game ball to owner Mike Brown.

After the game, Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield said: "The worst thing is to have a guy come out and shoot his mouth making a statement, and they stood up to it this is a good team, but we feel like we shouldn't have lost."

Beyond the guarantee and the headlines around that part of the game, a new theme emerged. Marvin Lewis was taking the Bengals from a doormat to a respectable team. Set aside this particular upset and the media was seeing a coach who had the lowly Bengals acting competitive in every game. The squad believed in itself and in Week 11 was tied for first place in the division.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I remember the last time a Chiefs team that had won 8 in a row faced the Bengals....

A betting man might say they're due for a loss.

Any given Sunday my friend.

If I'm not mistaken that's the game Peter Warrick played a couple weeks after having his knee scoped.  He was awesome and probably killed his knee and career. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I will say they have won 8 in a row, that many wins in a row isn't easy, can they make it 9? 

No..it stops this Sunday..

Mahomes is a great QB whos having an outstanding season..

JB is having a better year....yes he is.

Hes has the 4 Horsemen to throw to ..

I just like the Bengals at home this week

and beyond..

Gotta believe..

Who Dey!!....

Call me crazy, but this is a winnable game. We've got outrageous talent at QB and the receiving corp. Our defense is anywhere from poor to very good depending on the day. Same with the run game. The pass protection is dreadful (not yesterday against a 3rd string defense and guys cleaning windows with squeegees that Harbaugh found in the parking lot) and definitely the Achille's heel. Zac needs to evolve. Maybe he already is. Attacking a depleted secondary with the pass yesterday was obvious, but he didn't do it until it was too late against the Niners. To be fair to him, he has to know that against an average or better pass rush Burrow has human turnstiles in front of him. I think that's what's inspiring all the Mixon up the middle til the defense shows enough fatigue to pass on business. It's a fair concern, but he's so one dimensional about it its ridiculous. I'd love to see a little more creativity. More pass protection help from the RBs, bunch formations  and screen blocking from Sample and others. Even Chase has shown the ability to knock DBs on their ass. Anything different that just Mixon up the middle because WE NEED TO PASS in order to beat teams like the Chiefs. On the other side of the ball, the thing that's still bugging me is the whole, "we tried everything to stop Kittle", business. The Titans held him to 2 catches for 21 yards yesterday. In our game, there were 3rd and longs where we lined up soft zone and gave him a free release. Nobody even breaking on him til he caught the ball 7 yards down field. Add a DB trying to strip the ball, missing the tackle, and Kittle rumbling for another 15 yards and the rest is history. That's not trying "everything" in my book. Zac tried everything he came out of the tunnel with in the playbook that day, but clearly it wasn't enough.  So, yeah, evolution is needed because Kelce's an even bigger nightmare. Their wideout's nickname is The Cheetah, so I won't be surprised if we get torched. I'm just hoping Zac finds a way to mix it up, and it's a fun game to watch. We can take em. GO BENGALS!

We have CBS Sports Nantz and Romo with this game being National for 70 percent of Country.  Romo already rode us off as a loss for this game when he said it during the Pittspuke game and they will be kissing KCs arse at every turn.  I never like them doing our games as they are bad luck.  I hope this team can shock the Country.  The problem with KC is they have as many weapons as we do.  It could be a shoot out. 

Best chance we have is being able to run he ball and keeping Mahomes on the sideline. I still expect to lose (KC is playing on another level)  but it won't be a blowout. Hopefully Reader comes back and makes the D respectable again.

We definately win if Burrows plays in a Spongebob jersey.

Perhaps we have just failed to see the Bengals’ BRILLIANT plan with regards to our offensive line.  By utilizing turnstiles on our OL, the opposing defensive linemen are running 7 to 10 yards on almost every play, instead of just 1 or 2 yards if they are effectively blocked. 

By the time we get to the fourth quarter, those defensive linemen are gassed.

Brilliant!

:ninja: 

Archived