2021 Week 17 Chiefs at Bengals Game Thread

54 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Let’s think about that for a minute…not that you are incorrect logically. 

Lose, and you are likely anchored to the 4th Seed. If a few things go right, maybe 3rd Seed. 

Win, and you are probably no worse than 3rd Seed, have a decent shot at 2nd Seed, and a chance (unlikely) of a 1st Seed. 

Get a 2nd Seed, and you have the joys of hosting two playoff games. Stay lodged in the 4 spot, and you have one game at home, and the next week (if you win) travel to the 1st Seed. 

There appears to be a lot worth playing for up on the North Coast next weekend. 

I understand all of this. I guess my thinking is that they can beat a down and out Browns team even with Allen as the starter. 

25 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

I would pay good money for the Burrow name tag that got torn off. I would go 4 figures. I hope someone sees this and tells Burrow (not likely). A couple grand would be a decent contribution to the Athens foodbank. 

Shoot they put it on EBAY and I would outbid ya. Was thinking about that earlier lol.. I am a millionaire (not that everyone isn't with house prices the way they are) so I can go pretty high since I have nothing to spend my cash on hehe.

12 minutes ago, Gary said:

Shoot they put it on EBAY and I would outbid ya. Was thinking about that earlier lol.. I am a millionaire (not that everyone isn't with house prices the way they are) so I can go pretty high since I have nothing to spend my cash on hehe.

Hey man, keep this under your hat, but I know of an amazing deal on a bridge. Just resurfaced last year when the new Amazon warehouse went in. I can introduce you to a guy.

29 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Hey man, keep this under your hat, but I know of an amazing deal on a bridge. Just resurfaced last year when the new Amazon warehouse went in. I can introduce you to a guy.

Brooklyn Bridge? :)

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

Andy Reid is mighty pissed:

https://clutchpoints.com/chiefs-news-andy-reids-pissed-off-reaction-after-controversial-loss-to-bengals/

He also doesn't think we were really trying to score from the 2 min warning on and he's probably right:

I am the Walrus Boo-Frikkin-Hoo.

4 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

I don't know that I want Clowny and Garrett rushing after Joe B for 3 hrs next week. I agree the win is on the table and would be helpful but it's not worth risking a Joe injury

You dont...

Let JB and many starters rest it out for two weeks.

Heal up some and watch a boatload of film on their first opponent in the playoffs..."The Playoffs!"

Any thought of playing JB should go down as the worst decision in Bengal history..

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

"It means a little more because I'm from Ohio, I know the history of this team." - Joe Burrow

Then he should know that we've been here. 5 years removed from 5 years in a row. Can we reach the next level?  This is exciting and fantastic, but we need more. If we don't win a playoff game, then it will be back to the same old Bengals talk.

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

You dont...

Let JB and many starters rest it out for two weeks.

Heal up some and watch a boatload of film on their first opponent in the playoffs..."The Playoffs!"

Any thought of playing JB should go down as the worst decision in Bengal history..

And yet, leaving him in—with a game fully out of reach the previous week—was of no danger?

I have seen this “rest your starters the last game” movie before—2005 for example. 

As noted: a 4th Seed is the lowest of the wild card wherein a team gets a home game. As the Bengals have seen in prior years, it will bring the oftentimes dangerous 7th Seed in. In the present format, provided they win, it will likely send them to the 1st Seed the following week. Since the Bengals are in, and presumably wish to advance as far as they can, getting more favorable draws going through until the AFC Championship, is important. 

The risk/reward still tilts to the playing full strength side next Sunday. 

No joking, I would rather be in the titans side of the bracket in the 4, I think, than facing a potential second round game in Buffalo or a re-match in KC. Resting and potentially going to the 4 makes sense from where I sit - the rest being the most beneficial potentially. 

26 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And yet, leaving him in—with a game fully out of reach the previous week—was of no danger?

I have seen this “rest your starters the last game” movie before—2005 for example. 

As noted: a 4th Seed is the lowest of the wild card wherein a team gets a home game. As the Bengals have seen in prior years, it will bring the oftentimes dangerous 7th Seed in. In the present format, provided they win, it will likely send them to the 1st Seed the following week. Since the Bengals are in, and presumably wish to advance as far as they can, getting more favorable draws going through until the AFC Championship, is important. 

The risk/reward still tilts to the playing full strength side next Sunday. 

The question is how is he feeling?

If Burrow could use the week to let some bruises and sprains get better, you sit the guy.

I also have a feeling that's going to be as effective as telling my dog not to chase squirrels. Sometimes you have to let a special guy be a special guy.

Also the strange implication is that against the Browns we risk injuring Joe, but somehow in playoff football that wouldn't be an issue. Injured in Wk17 or injured in R1 of the playoffs makes no difference to me.

Plus we all remember how the "rest 'em" idea panned out against the Jets.

1 hour ago, VonBlade said:

Also the strange implication is that against the Browns we risk injuring Joe, but somehow in playoff football that wouldn't be an issue. Injured in Wk17 or injured in R1 of the playoffs makes no difference to me.

Plus we all remember how the "rest 'em" idea panned out against the Jets.

You had to go and remind me of that Jets fiasco! One of the coldest, most miserable, experiences of my sport life. Great example though. 

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

Then he should know that we've been here. 5 years removed from 5 years in a row. Can we reach the next level?  This is exciting and fantastic, but we need more. If we don't win a playoff game, then it will be back to the same old Bengals talk.

I believe we can, but this is a new Bengals team, so playoff experience for them is not there yet.

Archived