The Zac Taylor Appreciation Thread

Sometimes his play calling drives me nuts, but he had a plan and his plan is coming to fruition. 

Goes to show you have to give your coach time to put his plan in place, far too many ready to throw him under the bus far too quickly. 

You got to give a guy at least 3 years

We all knew that Zac as a head coach would involve a learning curve and that he'd have to learn on the job. We'd have to suffer through his growing pains. We knew 3 yrs ago we were hiring a work in progress. That's exactly what we've got and he also lucked out that we stumbled upon Joe Burrow. 

That said, I think he is the right coach for us right now. We've suffered through his growing pains. Let's reap the rewards

20 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Eh, this is a bit like having a Jackson Carman appreciation thread, because the dude would look a lot worse if Joe Burrow wasn't under center. It's not a good sign when you're happy that your second year signal caller has audibled out of whatever fuckery Taylor sent in from the sidelines.

If Brandon Allen was running this offense, we'd be after Taylor with torches and pitchforks.

Sort of tongue-in-cheek, padre. The HC will always be the target—good or bad. 

If anyone figures what is going on in that Billy Beene analytics head of his, please advise the folks down our way. In the interim, he will exact “what the fuck are you doing….great job!” responses all across our food chain. 

13 minutes ago, membengal said:

If you trust Burrow, you trust ZT. Because Burrow CLEARLY has gone to bat for ZT. A lot. Including yesterday. 

What else is he gonna say if he wants to win?  Burrow is smarter than most of these guys who think they know more about coaching and talent evaluation **coff, coff Aaron Rodgers coff, coff**  If you want to progress you have to buy in. 

That said, I like the culture Taylor has created.  I'm still not fully on board with his playcalling.  He played with fire on that goal line stand and a dumbass penalty bailed him out.  What would everyone be saying if the helmet twist wasn't called?  I know it's a penalty and should be called, but when the game is on the line stuff can get let go. 

When he was hired, I thought he wasn't head coaching material.

Even started a thread on it a while back.

Glad he proved me wrong.

The team has a lot of respect and trust in him.

I'll gladly eat my crow with a little Frank's hot sauce

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If Brandon Allen was running this offense, we'd be after Taylor with torches and pitchforks.

If Brandon Allen was running any offense, we'd be after any head coach to ever exist with torches and pitchforks. If Joe Burrow had not been available, the 2021 starting QB would not have been Brandon Allen.

1 minute ago, OU_Stripes said:

If Brandon Allen was running any offense, we'd be after any head coach to ever exist with torches and pitchforks. If Joe Burrow had not been available, the 2021 starting QB would not have been Brandon Allen.

Yeah, could have been someone worse!

55 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

What else is he gonna say if he wants to win?  Burrow is smarter than most of these guys who think they know more about coaching and talent evaluation **coff, coff Aaron Rodgers coff, coff**  If you want to progress you have to buy in. 

That said, I like the culture Taylor has created.  I'm still not fully on board with his playcalling.  He played with fire on that goal line stand and a dumbass penalty bailed him out.  What would everyone be saying if the helmet twist wasn't called?  I know it's a penalty and should be called, but when the game is on the line stuff can get let go. 

There's an Old saying in Tennessee, well it's in Texas, but it's probably in Tennessee as well that says "if Your Aunt had balls, she'd be your Uncle!"  Now I guess she could be Transgender, but that's another Sayin'!!  🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

There's an Old saying in Tennessee, well it's in Texas, but it's probably in Tennessee as well that says "if Your Aunt had balls, she'd be your Uncle!"  Now I guess she could be Transgender, but that's another Sayin'!!  🤣🤣

Tennessee, huh.  Now I get it. 

Play calling is one of the lesser jobs of a head coach. I mainly look at a head coach to prepare the team, make in game adjustments, hire the right assistants.

More often than not the best head coaches are not the best coordinators. It's a different skill set. John Madden was not the best coordinator. Head coaches need to manage personnel, manage the clock and strategize in game.  Dick LeBeau was a Hall of Fame defensive coordinator but he was a bottom rung head coach.

3 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Play calling is one of the lesser jobs of a head coach. I mainly look at a head coach to prepare the team, make in game adjustments, hire the right assistants.

More often than not the best head coaches are not the best coordinators. It's a different skill set. John Madden was not the best coordinator. Head coaches need to manage personnel, manage the clock and strategize in game.  Dick LeBeau was a Hall of Fame defensive coordinator but he was a bottom rung head coach.

Agreed.  Traditionally the OC calls the plays, but many new age coaches take on that responsibility as well, including Taylor.  Like you say, it's a different skill set and I haven't been so wild about Taylors calls, but he has been more aggressive lately putting the ball in Burrow's hands, so that is an improvement. 

Every head coach is criticized by fans for play calling. I would like to see Zac give up more of that but I'm also seeing a learning curve. Last year he had Joe throwing 50-60x/game. This year he went the other direction and used him as a game manager through the 49ers game. Now he's fixed that and has found a sweet spot IMO

1 minute ago, Sea Ray said:

Every head coach is criticized by fans for play calling. I would like to see Zac give up more of that but I'm also seeing a learning curve. Last year he had Joe throwing 50-60x/game. This year he went the other direction and used him as a game manager through the 49ers game. Now he's fixed that and has found a sweet spot IMO

Honestly, he doesn't have much choice at this point.  He's going as far as Burrow can take him.  The O-line was never very good, but now it's a shambles.  It's not like they can run against playoff defenses. 

Speaking of...any word on Spain?

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Honestly, he doesn't have much choice at this point.  He's going as far as Burrow can take him.  The O-line was never very good, but now it's a shambles.  It's not like they can run against playoff defenses. 

Speaking of...any word on Spain?

Caught some of ZT's presser today and said Spain's injury was an ankle. He will definitely be out this week but could possibly be back for the playoffs.

I've been a big critic of Zac not being the HEAD COACH only with the Bengals.  I've always thought he was spreading him self too thin and could at least hand over the play calling duties to be able to concentrate on other parts of the team during the game.

But, as a Head Coach I'm guessing his behind the scenes work is his great strength, tough job walking into PBS after the Marvin Lewis era ending badly and leaving a stale stench in the locker room.

Well done to Zac but more importantly the coaching staff he and Duke have assembled THIS year.

• 1 month later...

Archived