Random Thoughts About the Season

Matt Miller had some Bengals thoughts in his latest notebook that might be of interest (altho I don't ever see Tobin going anywhere):

—The Cincinnati Bengals owned the No. 1 overall pick just two years ago. Last year they selected at No. 5 overall. And now the Bengals have beaten the Kansas City Chiefs and won the AFC North after being in the basement the last two seasons. What changed?

One theory is that the Bengals’ emphasis on drafting offensive weapons and essentially “buying” a defense through free agency while back-filling with Day 2 and Day 3 picks has equated in a fast turnaround.

In the last five drafts, the Bengals’ premium selections were:

2021: WR Ja’Marr Chase (Rd 1), OG Jackson Carman (Rd 2), DE Joseph Ossai (Rd 3)

2020: QB Joe Burrow (Rd 1), WR Tee Higgins (Rd 2), LB Logan Wilson (Rd 3)

2019: OT Jonah Williams (Rd 1), TE Drew Sample (Rd 2), LB Germaine Pratt (Rd 3)

2018: C Billy Price (Rd 1), S Jessie Bates (Rd 2), DE Sam Hubbard (Rd 3)

2017: WR John Ross (Rd 1), RB Joe Mixon (Rd 2), LB Jordan Willis (Rd 3)

What stands out to me:

The Bengals haven’t missed on many premium picks in the last five years. Sample, Price and Ross are the only ones you could really call “misses”—with Ross being the standalone “bust”.

The Bengals hit big-time in 2020 with three high-impact starters. This turnaround can and should be credited with starting right there.

NFL teams with openings at GM should see if Duke Tobin is interested in finally carrying the title of general manager with a hefty pay raise to run their team.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:13 PM, tibor75 said:

I would have considered this season a success with a playoff birth.

Now, seeing how good they are playing, and with a home game against a beatable opponent, a playoff loss in the first round will be such a let-down.  Same 'ol Bengals they will say and they will be right.

This team has overachieved by even getting to the playoffs. I don't consider it a letdown till next yr

27 minutes ago, membengal said:

Matt Miller had some Bengals thoughts in his latest notebook that might be of interest (altho I don't ever see Tobin going anywhere):

The Bengals have whiffed big time on their offensive and defensive line picks over the past 10 years. 

The only player the Bengals drafted on the starting DL is Hubbard.  The OL starters that were drafted are Williams and Hopkins.  Both are of questionable quality.  (I'm not counting the guys that are only playing due to injury.) 

43 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The Bengals have whiffed big time on their offensive and defensive line picks over the past 10 years. 

The only player the Bengals drafted on the starting DL is Hubbard.  The OL starters that were drafted are Williams and Hopkins.  Both are of questionable quality.  (I'm not counting the guys that are only playing due to injury.) 

True. The reason we HAD to dive deep in free agency on the D side (and should have also done on the OL) was due to bad drafting. Now, to be fair, NE has done the same thing because they to have drfated poorly of late. 

44 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

True. The reason we HAD to dive deep in free agency on the D side (and should have also done on the OL) was due to bad drafting. Now, to be fair, NE has done the same thing because they to have drfated poorly of late. 

While true, compare where NE usually drafts compared to the Bengals. 

27 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Random Thought;  I don't think I have been less interested in a Bengals home game

than this one.  X10 because it is the Browns.  Never imagined this one coming.

its an away game but yeah same

15 minutes ago, steggyD said:

Another random thought ... an up season makes it hard to buy Bengals gear, I suppose. Trying to buy my girlfriend a shirt (her first Bengals paraphernalia), and I can't get something she likes in her size.

Fanatics.com sends me ads all of the time. Looks to be a lot of stuff outside of what you will find on NFL.com.   

1 hour ago, steggyD said:

Another random thought ... an up season makes it hard to buy Bengals gear, I suppose. Trying to buy my girlfriend a shirt (her first Bengals paraphernalia), and I can't get something she likes in her size.

Some of that has to be supply chain too.   Local NHL team has similar issues. 

2 hours ago, steggyD said:

It sucks that fanatics essentially owns every official outlet now. Fanatics site, Lids site, heck even nfl shop .com is a "fanatics experience."

Now with that being said, if you don't mind buying from private vendors, ebay has been FANTASTIC for me (and the gf) as far as merchandise goes. I search Cincinnati Bengals,  click Buy It Now, and move the condition to "new". Found so many deals that way.

2 minutes ago, Griever said:

It sucks that fanatics essentially owns every official outlet now. Fanatics site, Lids site, heck even nfl shop .com is a "fanatics experience."

Now with that being said, if you don't mind buying from private vendors, ebay has been FANTASTIC for me (and the gf) as far as merchandise goes. I search Cincinnati Bengals,  click Buy It Now, and move the condition to "new". Found so many deals that way.

Ebay has some good looking stuff for the ladies too:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Women-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL-Shirts/206/bn_16605388

One thing that I don't know if it has been mentioned is its like our staff rope a dopes teams. We just bide our time in the first half. Methodically moving the ball around. They can score that's ok they just can't get too far ahead. AND at half time we make adjustments that means they can't move the ball and we do at will. It's been crazy. 

On 1/5/2022 at 4:13 PM, tibor75 said:

I would have considered this season a success with a playoff birth.

Now, seeing how good they are playing, and with a home game against a beatable opponent, a playoff loss in the first round will be such a let-down.  Same 'ol Bengals they will say and they will be right.

if a wet blanket were a person.

I would imagine Goodell wants an AFC title game between Bengals and Chiefs if it played out.

Burow-Mahomes matchup2 ..

NFC Packers vs Bucs..

Rogers trying to take down Brady for  another shot at the Trophy..

Brady still hungry for more

It wont likely happen but it sure would be something..

On 1/12/2022 at 11:07 PM, claptonrocks said:

I would imagine Goodell wants an AFC title game between Bengals and Chiefs if it played out.

Burow-Mahomes matchup2 ..

NFC Packers vs Bucs..

Rogers trying to take down Brady for  another shot at the Trophy..

Brady still hungry for more

It wont likely happen but it sure would be something..

id imagine they want mahomes and Jones, bigger markets, and the media has been pretending Jones is great for 4 months, theyd love to keep going. boston is double the market cincy is

Archived