The “Resting” Lineup vs CFT

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

What would be your lineup thoughts as to who plays where Sunday on the North Coast?

Of course, Allen would be under center… but who else where? 

And, would the “resting” lineup match up decently enough to actually secure a win? 

Carman and...and... and...

Tough question with so many on IR.

See Shelvin finally get a shot.

Trent Taylor and Stanley Morgan.

A lot of quality playing time for Sample.

25 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Carman and...and... and...

Tough question with so many on IR.

See Shelvin finally get a shot.

Trent Taylor and Stanley Morgan.

A lot of quality playing time for Sample.

"Carman and..and..and.."

If healthy Adenijji-Carman-Hill-XSF-Smith or Fred..

Taylor-Morgan and Thomas wideouts.

Treyveon and Perine running..

Brandon Allen getting some needed reps in..

21 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

"Carman and..and..and.."

And the Rent-A-Kicker they just signed to the practice squad.

Completely dumb to bench all starting wide outs.  Injuries happen on defense.  If the offense does nothing, the defense is on the field more.  More plays, more injuries. And you can't bench the entire starting D - there aren't enough players.

This isn't the same as the 4th preseason game.  The rosters aren't as big. 

Play Chase a little - or none.  But Higgins and Boyd have to play. 

33 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

"Carman and..and..and.."

The Browns will evidently play their regular defense, barring injuries/Covid. 

Could that front make enough room to run and give Allen any time at all? 

Going really light on the WR’s also. 

Who are you putting in/taking out on defense? 

The "17th" game, voted against by the players and ignored by the Owners, should be boycotted by Zach Taylor in support of the health and safety of his players.  He has the perfect excuse to get away with it.   The health and safety of the players is more important than getting a home game in the playoffs (and we got our butts kicked at home this year by a bad Cleveland team, so where we play doesn't matter as much as being healthy).  Every single Bengals' Starter needs the week off because of nagging injuries they have all dealt with throughout the long pre-season and season.  Nothing is more important than the rest.  Until last week, the Bengals had failed every other week during the season whenever they put together a good game.  They followed every good game by a bad game (obviously resting on their laurels, reading newspaper clippings, letting their guard down, getting cocky, losing focus, easing up, whatever you want to call it, it's what all young teams do...if they hadn't done it, that would have been the surprise...see Cleveland after last year's great season that they had).  So, a week off for them to get their injuries improved while watching those who don't play very often give 100% (something the Bengals' would certainly not do this week, and you can already see that they aren't mentally in it), will be a good lesson for the Starters to continue to play hard.  Playing against Cleveland, aggravating injuries, AND losing because of a lack of focus throughout the week, is a terrible way to go into preparation for the playoff week.  If they lose with the non-starters, that's OK, because these guys are going to give it their all.  That's what we want to see.

Sadly, the "non-stars" Starters will play....and get hurt....and be exposed to COVID, thus having more placed on the list to start the playoff week.  I hope no Starter plays a single snap.

14 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

The "17th" game, voted against by the players and ignored by the Owners, should be boycotted by Zach Taylor in support of the health and safety of his players.  He has the perfect excuse to get away with it.   The health and safety of the players is more important than getting a home game in the playoffs (and we got our butts kicked at home this year by a bad Cleveland team, so where we play doesn't matter as much as being healthy).  Every single Bengals' Starter needs the week off because of nagging injuries they have all dealt with throughout the long pre-season and season.  Nothing is more important than the rest.  Until last week, the Bengals had failed every other week during the season whenever they put together a good game.  They followed every good game by a bad game (obviously resting on their laurels, reading newspaper clippings, letting their guard down, getting cocky, losing focus, easing up, whatever you want to call it, it's what all young teams do...if they hadn't done it, that would have been the surprise...see Cleveland after last year's great season that they had).  So, a week off for them to get their injuries improved while watching those who don't play very often give 100% (something the Bengals' would certainly not do this week, and you can already see that they aren't mentally in it), will be a good lesson for the Starters to continue to play hard.  Playing against Cleveland, aggravating injuries, AND losing because of a lack of focus throughout the week, is a terrible way to go into preparation for the playoff week.  If they lose with the non-starters, that's OK, because these guys are going to give it their all.  That's what we want to see.

Sadly, the "non-stars" Starters will play....and get hurt....and be exposed to COVID, thus having more placed on the list to start the playoff week.  I hope no Starter plays a single snap.

You will likely see all of this. However, there are still dinged backups, and the defense has no depth to have a wholesale switch out. 

As Tibor says: this isn’t the expanded rosters of preseason, there may not be enough bodies to fill the lineups. 

If there are, I’m curious to see who would fit where 

I fully agree: adding the extra game to the season without significant roster expansion allowance, was gross neglect by the NFL. Certainly expect more of it in the future. 

21 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You will likely see all of this. However, there are still dinged backups, and the defense has no depth to have a wholesale switch out. 

As Tibor says: this isn’t the expanded rosters of preseason, there may not be enough bodies to fill the lineups. 

If there are, I’m curious to see who would fit where 

When you think of the duties of an NFL Head Coach...the delegation, gameplans and roster and inury management, this may be the best week he performs as a Head Coach all year.  We won't see the results so much, but the results of a Head Coach don't show up week-to-week, but down the road.  If Zac can pull this off, he can set this team up for being as well-prepared as possible for a playoff run.  Men who have been there before know, but the entire Bengals' coaching staff and most of it's players don't.  We have some, but far two few for it to be impactful.  A lot is on the shoulders of Taylor to get this right this week.

...and yes, without the expanded pre-season rosters, the roster is too limited.  So, maybe the first series of each half for those "non-star" Starters, to set the tone, though I still feel it will be a bad tone based on their mental preparation during practice all week.  The Coaches have a huge challenge before them this week during practice (the game is meaningless, more or less, because if they lose with the non-starters, it's not a bad thing if everyone did their best, but if they win, it's a huge morale boost for the whole team as the non-starters lifted up the entire team).

42 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

When you think of the duties of an NFL Head Coach...the delegation, gameplans and roster and inury management, this may be the best week he performs as a Head Coach all year.  We won't see the results so much, but the results of a Head Coach don't show up week-to-week, but down the road.  If Zac can pull this off, he can set this team up for being as well-prepared as possible for a playoff run.  Men who have been there before know, but the entire Bengals' coaching staff and most of it's players don't.  We have some, but far two few for it to be impactful.  A lot is on the shoulders of Taylor to get this right this week.

...and yes, without the expanded pre-season rosters, the roster is too limited.  So, maybe the first series of each half for those "non-star" Starters, to set the tone, though I still feel it will be a bad tone based on their mental preparation during practice all week.  The Coaches have a huge challenge before them this week during practice (the game is meaningless, more or less, because if they lose with the non-starters, it's not a bad thing if everyone did their best, but if they win, it's a huge morale boost for the whole team as the non-starters lifted up the entire team).

I like where you went with your comments..

I agree 100%..

13 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I like where you went with your comments..

I agree 100%..

This is where Marvin sucked.  Remember the Jets debacle?  Oh we are going to try and win!  Wait, never mind.  They got totally humiliated on Sunday night and I’m pretty sure it contributed to the following WC loss. 

5 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

This is where Marvin sucked.  Remember the Jets debacle?  Oh we are going to try and win!  Wait, never mind.  They got totally humiliated on Sunday night and I’m pretty sure it contributed to the following WC loss. 

Marvin was dedicated to MB for his long unworthy tenue here..

He wasn't a motivator .

Hell he wasnt even motivated himself!

He played scared most of the time..

Exact opposite of ZT...

I really think Marvin would be a slam dunk for that Jacksonville job for a few years. If there were ever a team that needed a father figure-type coach to get them pointed in the right direction, surely the Jags are at the top of the list.

5 hours ago, Shebengal said:

What, no Chris Evans at running back? Of course, this is also dependent on COVID and who else winds up on that list.

Yeah, I'd like to see Evans featured. 

FWIW, I get the "rest/heal/save the starters for the playoffs", but I really, really, really want to win this game regardless.

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

I really think Marvin would be a slam dunk for that Jacksonville job for a few years. If there were ever a team that needed a father figure-type coach to get them pointed in the right direction, surely the Jags are at the top of the list.

Agree . ML also took our personnel departmnet a long way forward as well along with the general running of the team from an admin side. He would be good for the Jags. 

I would just like to point out how pleasant it is that I don't really care about the game on Sunday. Like, when's the last time that happened?

I say we make Katie Blackburn play QB behind this offensive line for 60 minutes and see how she feels about it then. Troy can be her RB. I also think Mike Brown should be QB2. Katie should know that if Jackson Carman can't keep her upright, Jadaveon Clowney is going to tear her 80 year old dad's head off.

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced the following roster moves:

• Returned wide receiver Trenton Irwin and cornerback Trae Waynes to the active roster from the COVID-19 list. Both players had been on the list since December 31st.
  • Returned tight end Scotty Washington to the practice squad from the COVID-19 list. He had been on the list since January 1st.

Posted something similar in the Browns thread but looks like we will get to see Irwin as a WR and a Waynes audition.

With highly-reduced rosters looking likely for Sunday, one asks where can the the Bengals fill-ins matchup better than CFT’s fill-ins? 

On offense—if they can—they should attempt to run as much as possible. Allen will be limited by having 3rd and 4th string receivers, so simple routes underneath may be prudent. 

On defense, play the run first and not worry about deep coverage. If the backup defensive line can contain the run and even get a little pressure, it will help the backup secondary maintain some degree of coverage. Blitzing should be verboten—unless absolutely necessary. 

Get points anywhere they can—if 4 FG’s wins it, so be it. Strap in and hope for the best. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:03 PM, spicoli said:

😆

Here is the roster broken down

-Snapcounts from last game behind name

-Red is they are on the injured list

-Gray block is they are on the practice squad

-Red block is coming off IR and practicing

-Pink block is Covid list

QB Burrow 68 Allen 2         Browning
RB Mixon 50 Perine 20 Evans 2 Williams     Holyfield
WR Chase 64 Morgan 7         Taylor 0
WR Higgins 58 Irwin 0         Williams
WR Boyd 54 Thomas 1          
TE Uzomah 63 Sample 23 Wilcox 1     Myarick Washington
LT Williams 70            
LG Spain 44 Carman 41 Smith        
C Hopkins 70 Hill         Gaillard
RG Adeniji 70           Sutherland
RT Prince 70 Johnson 5         Su'a-Filo

K McPherson           Fry
P Huber           Chrisman
LS Harris           Holba

LE Hubbard 52 Sample 0         Spence
LT Reader 38 Tupou 17 Shelvin 0       Wren
RT Ogunjobi 38 Hill 35         Daniels
RE Hendrickson 48 Kareem 9 Ray 13        
SLB Pratt 0 Johnston 0         Jones
MLB Wilson 61 Calitro 0          
WLB Bailey 48            
S Bell 61 Allen 6         Henderson
S Bates 61 Thomas 2          
CB Awuzie 61 Waynes 0 Hargreaves 3       Brannon
CB Apple 61 Flowers 13          
CB Hilton 53 Davis 0          

If you take out all of the injured players who is who you are left with 

QB Allen 2       1   Browning
RB Perine 20 Evans 2 Williams   3   Holyfield
WR Chase 64 Morgan 7     2   Taylor 0
WR Higgins 58 Irwin 0     2   Williams
WR Boyd 54 Thomas 1     2    
TE Sample 23 Wilcox 1     2 Myarick Washington
LT Williams 70       1    
LG Carman 41 Smith     2    
C Hill       1   Gaillard
RG Adeniji 70       1   Sutherland
RT Prince 70       1   Su'a-Filo

K             Fry
P Huber       1   Chrisman
LS Harris       1   Holba

LE             Spence
LT Tupou 17 Shelvin 0     2   Wren
RT             Daniels
RE   Kareem 9 Ray 13   2    
SLB Pratt 0 Johnston 0     2   Jones
MLB Wilson 61 Calitro 0     2    
WLB Bailey 48       1    
S Allen 6       1   Henderson
S Bates 61 Thomas 2     2    
CB Awuzie 61 Waynes 0     2   Brannon
CB Apple 61 Flowers 13     2    
CB Hilton 53 Hargreaves 3     2    

If we assume the 7 injured players are inactive (Burrow-Uzomah-Johnson-McPherson-Hubbard-Sample-Reader-Davis) putting us at 45 roster spots and the Covid players get replaced with the Covid rules we would have 8 players we could bring up....

Browning and Fry are 1 and 2. Need a backup QB and a K

They will have to pull up a lineman or 2. They won't want Jonah playing the entire game. XSF is allowed to come back and with a doable salary for a starting G and that position unsettled would it be a surprise if they don't let him play. I think they have to cut someone though to make that happen. (Or maybe IR Davis) 

If you don't call up and play Mike Daniels you are criminal, unless you are trying to save him and can only pull him up twice. I don't understand the rules

Probably Wren and Spence too because we will be particularly thin at DL

Gailard or Sutherland

Henderson maybe as the last. 

Who knows who comes back from Covid too?

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

If we assume the 7 injured players are inactive (Burrow-Uzomah-Johnson-McPherson-Hubbard-Sample-Reader-Davis) putting us at 45 roster spots and the Covid players get replaced with the Covid rules we would have 8 players we could bring up....

Browning and Fry are 1 and 2. Need a backup QB and a K

They will have to pull up a lineman or 2. They won't want Jonah playing the entire game. XSF is allowed to come back and with a doable salary for a starting G and that position unsettled would it be a surprise if they don't let him play. I think they have to cut someone though to make that happen. (Or maybe IR Davis) 

If you don't call up and play Mike Daniels you are criminal, unless you are trying to save him and can only pull him up twice. I don't understand the rules

Probably Wren and Spence too because we will be particularly thin at DL

Gailard or Sutherland

Henderson maybe as the last. 

Who knows who comes back from Covid too?

Glad to see your analysis of the team again..

On 1/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, tibor75 said:

Completely dumb to bench all starting wide outs.  Injuries happen on defense.  If the offense does nothing, the defense is on the field more.  More plays, more injuries. And you can't bench the entire starting D - there aren't enough players.

This isn't the same as the 4th preseason game.  The rosters aren't as big. 

Play Chase a little - or none.  But Higgins and Boyd have to play. 

If they run the ball a lot and throw short passed it will eat a lot of time off the clock but yeah, you can’t sit 22 starters.  

Archived