The “Resting” Lineup vs CFT

Any word on resting McFearsome?

Saw something about an injury (groin?) on an injury report earlier.

Certainly has been off the last two weeks.

Not impossible they rest Huber and give the new guy a live game

audition if Huber does retire.  And I would not be surprised if he does.

34 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Any word on resting McFearsome?

Saw something about an injury (groin?) on an injury report earlier.

Certainly has been off the last two weeks.

Not impossible they rest Huber and give the new guy a live game

audition if Huber does retire.  And I would not be surprised if he does.

FWIW…McFearsome was “full practice” yesterday

Anyone follow the CFL?  Know about these guys?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/08/bengals-hosted-two-players-tryouts-week-18/

Bengals hosted two players on tryouts ahead of Week 18

USATSI_12284288.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
January 8, 2022 10:38 am ET

With their litany of injuries and COVID issues entering Week 18, the Cincinnati Bengals are dipping their toes across the border for some potential help.

I think this is where they landed for preseason week 18. Who are you most excited to watch?

QB Allen 2 Browning Burrow 68   3
RB Perine 20 Evans 2 Williams   3
WR Morgan 7 Chase 64 Taylor 0   3
WR Irwin 0 Higgins 58     2
WR Thomas 1 Boyd 54     2
TE Sample 23 Wilcox 1 Uzomah 63   3
LT Prince 70 Williams 70     2
LG Carman 41 Smith     2
C Hill Sutherland     2
RG Adeniji 70       1
RT Johnson 5       1

K Fry McPherson     2
P Huber       1
LS Harris       1

LE Ray 13 Spence     2
LT Shelvin 0 Wren Reader 38   3
RT Daniels Tupou 17     2
RE Kareem 9 Hubbard 52 Sample 0   3
SLB Johnston 0 Pratt 0     2
MLB Calitro 0 Wilson 61     2
WLB Bailey 48 Jones     2
S Allen 6 Henderson     2
S Thomas 2 Bates 61     2
CB Waynes 0 Awuzie 61 Davis 0   3
CB Hargreaves 3 Apple 61     2
CB Flowers 13 Hilton 53     2

DB: Looking at the projected starters the entire DB field are free agents if we include Waynes as a possible Cap casualty. Henderson is interesting as he has to find a way on to this roster someday. He has been on the Bengals fringe:IR/practice squad for 4 seasons now. It will be interesting to see how many snaps Allen gets. He seems to sometimes be an integral part of the D and sometimes be an afterthought. Everyone else outside of Waynes probably has a chance to be brought back in some capacity but won't be priorities in the offseason.  

LB: This game will be another one that builds our depth for 22. The injuries have meant lots of snaps for guys already. Could mean almost no additions here in the offseason

DL: Have to be excited about Shelvin. He has been on the bench all season. Finally get to see why Wyatt Ray was more important than Darius Hodge. Wish Sample would have been healthy. Glad Mike Daniels is getting some run. Wonder if he factors in to 22 at all after basically getting no snaps this year. Wren is another guy who we have had high hopes for. 

OL: This could be a sh*tshow or we see a guy flash. Wonder how much they play Jonah? Only definite starters out are Hopkins and Spain who will be replaced by Carman and Hill. Have to hope we get an extended look at Smith. 

TE: Would have loved to see Scottie Washington or Moss here but Wilcox is an interesting one too. 

WR: Non big 3 WRs have 15 targets so far this year. That's unheard of. This should be a great game to figure out if we have anything in term of pass catching from Morgan, Irwin, Thomas and Taylor. I think both Morgan and Taylor have long term roles now as special teamers (both) and blockers (Morgan) but having them be able to adequately back up as pass catchers would help. I love Irwin as well. Huge shame we won't see Pooka. I will continue to assume he is an absolute stud and they are just hiding him for a contract next year. 

RB: Probably a heavy dose of Traveyon Williams. Might be the biggest game for him to get a role here or elsewhere. He has been stuck behind 2-3 good backs here for 3 years. 

QB: Should be mostly Brandon Allen. I have been vocal about needing a better backup QB, I hope this game proves that wrong. 

3 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Anyone follow the CFL?  Know about these guys?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/08/bengals-hosted-two-players-tryouts-week-18/

Bengals hosted two players on tryouts ahead of Week 18

USATSI_12284288.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
January 8, 2022 10:38 am ET

With their litany of injuries and COVID issues entering Week 18, the Cincinnati Bengals are dipping their toes across the border for some potential help.

Below is some info on the two players. I am a Winnipeg resident and fan so i know about the OL Desjarlais. He was very impressive, even in the CFL it is rare for rookie OL to start (does help that he is Canadian as we have ratios for Canadian players). Edmonton was a tire fire this year so not sure about the LB. 

The Cincinnati Bengals worked out Edmonton Elks’ linebacker Nyles Morgan and Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ offensive lineman Drew Desjarlais, according to Aaron Wilson.

Morgan started 13 games for the Elks in 2021 at weak-side linebacker, making 66 defensive tackles, six special teams tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble. He previously played at Notre Dame (2014-17) where he was named Defensive Newcomer of the Year.

Desjarlais is drawing significant interest from NFL teams and has already worked out for a number of teams, including the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers.

The 24-year-old was the fourth overall pick in the 2019 CFL Draft out of the University of Windsor and established himself as a starter at guard for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers by the midway point of his rookie season. He started all 14 regular season games at left guard in 2021, plus the West Final and Grey Cup.

The native of Belle River, Ont. has yet to miss a game through his CFL career and has won back-to-back CFL championships. He was named a West Division all-star in 2021, helping Winnipeg’s offensive line allow a league-low 16 sacks and a produce a league-high 14 rushing touchdowns.

8 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Below is some info on the two players. I am a Winnipeg resident and fan so i know about the OL Desjarlais. He was very impressive, even in the CFL it is rare for rookie OL to start (does help that he is Canadian as we have ratios for Canadian players). Edmonton was a tire fire this year so not sure about the LB. 

The Cincinnati Bengals worked out Edmonton Elks’ linebacker Nyles Morgan and Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ offensive lineman Drew Desjarlais, according to Aaron Wilson.

Morgan started 13 games for the Elks in 2021 at weak-side linebacker, making 66 defensive tackles, six special teams tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble. He previously played at Notre Dame (2014-17) where he was named Defensive Newcomer of the Year.

Desjarlais is drawing significant interest from NFL teams and has already worked out for a number of teams, including the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers.

The 24-year-old was the fourth overall pick in the 2019 CFL Draft out of the University of Windsor and established himself as a starter at guard for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers by the midway point of his rookie season. He started all 14 regular season games at left guard in 2021, plus the West Final and Grey Cup.

The native of Belle River, Ont. has yet to miss a game through his CFL career and has won back-to-back CFL championships. He was named a West Division all-star in 2021, helping Winnipeg’s offensive line allow a league-low 16 sacks and a produce a league-high 14 rushing touchdowns.

I, perhaps irrationally, love guys like this. Sign him immediately. 

A few more general thoughts about tomorrow. 

QB: Allen is a Free Agent. He has had to do nothing this year which is what we want. He is probably close friends with Burrow-Pitcher-Taylor-Callahan. He seems like the kind of backup QB who is going nowhere. i would still like to see him show out as a capable fill in. 

RB: None of this will really matter. Our depth here is fantastic despite the loss of Bernard in the offseason. Perrine-Evans-Williams all back for camp.

WR: Mike Thomas.  I have no idea what he is. He is a UFA after the year. Has shown some on teams, has shown some on offense especially in 2020. We will likely draft someone for 2022 to be a a more dynamic outside receiver. Stanley Morgan is an interesting one. We want him back. He is a great special teamer and a great blocker on offense. Was coached in college by our WRs coach. He is an RFA and he was undrafted so we may need to tender him at a 2nd round level which was 3.384 million last year to get someone not to match. (The same round tender last year was 2.33M). Irwin is exclusive and will be back. If I had to guess. tomorrow we will see Irwin go off. I think he causes conflict. He's not a dynamic athlete but goes off whenever we ask him to. 

TE: Uzomah is a free agent and he won't play and I assume he is back. They will figure that out. Beyond him (and Sample) now there are literally 5 guys fighting for one spot (Wilcox-Moss-Schreck-Washington-Myarick). Wilcox is the only one of the five active tomorrow and could perhaps take a lead in the race. 

OL: Carman at LG. Spain has been great there but he is a FA. Anyone following this team or working for them wants Carman to lock up a G spot. He hasn't. They also want Johnson or Prince to take the RT spot. They haven't. Hill will play C, He has struggled despite flashes.   Todays line could be interesting. Could be Williams-Carman-Hill-Adeniji-Prince(Johnson) in an attempt to put forth a decent line, win, and run a normal offense. Dante Smith and Johnson could also replace the starting tackles to preserve their health. 

DL: Ogunjobi-Hill-Reader all out. Ogunjobi-Tupou-Hill all free agents at the end of the year. Daniels-Shelvin and Wren filling in. I'm sure the team would love all 3 Tackles back but that doesn't seem reasonable. If Wren or Daniels could show something this could help for the short term. DE won't be affected much. Hendrickson and Hubbard both out. Won't see Sample. Ray and Kareem get a chance to make an argument why we shouldn't make an external investment in the position. 

LB: Similar to DE, Calitro-Johnston and Bailey get a chance to show just how solid our depth here is. 

S: Both likely starters are Free Agents (Allen and Thomas) and Henderson gets a chance to show that he can be a backup next year after spending 4 years on the team but off the team. Curious how much Bates plays. 

CB: Apple has pretty much solidified his role on the team despite his unknown future but both Hargreaves and Flowers are interesting. This team (every team) will always be in search of CB depth. 

41 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

A few more general thoughts about tomorrow. 

QB: Allen is a Free Agent. He has had to do nothing this year which is what we want. He is probably close friends with Burrow-Pitcher-Taylor-Callahan. He seems like the kind of backup QB who is going nowhere. i would still like to see him show out as a capable fill in. 

RB: None of this will really matter. Our depth here is fantastic despite the loss of Bernard in the offseason. Perrine-Evans-Williams all back for camp.

WR: Mike Thomas.  I have no idea what he is. He is a UFA after the year. Has shown some on teams, has shown some on offense especially in 2020. We will likely draft someone for 2022 to be a a more dynamic outside receiver. Stanley Morgan is an interesting one. We want him back. He is a great special teamer and a great blocker on offense. Was coached in college by our WRs coach. He is an RFA and he was undrafted so we may need to tender him at a 2nd round level which was 3.384 million last year to get someone not to match. (The same round tender last year was 2.33M). Irwin is exclusive and will be back. If I had to guess. tomorrow we will see Irwin go off. I think he causes conflict. He's not a dynamic athlete but goes off whenever we ask him to. 

TE: Uzomah is a free agent and he won't play and I assume he is back. They will figure that out. Beyond him (and Sample) now there are literally 5 guys fighting for one spot (Wilcox-Moss-Schreck-Washington-Myarick). Wilcox is the only one of the five active tomorrow and could perhaps take a lead in the race. 

OL: Carman at LG. Spain has been great there but he is a FA. Anyone following this team or working for them wants Carman to lock up a G spot. He hasn't. They also want Johnson or Prince to take the RT spot. They haven't. Hill will play C, He has struggled despite flashes.   Todays line could be interesting. Could be Williams-Carman-Hill-Adeniji-Prince(Johnson) in an attempt to put forth a decent line, win, and run a normal offense. Dante Smith and Johnson could also replace the starting tackles to preserve their health. 

DL: Ogunjobi-Hill-Reader all out. Ogunjobi-Tupou-Hill all free agents at the end of the year. Daniels-Shelvin and Wren filling in. I'm sure the team would love all 3 Tackles back but that doesn't seem reasonable. If Wren or Daniels could show something this could help for the short term. DE won't be affected much. Hendrickson and Hubbard both out. Won't see Sample. Ray and Kareem get a chance to make an argument why we shouldn't make an external investment in the position. 

LB: Similar to DE, Calitro-Johnston and Bailey get a chance to show just how solid our depth here is. 

S: Both likely starters are Free Agents (Allen and Thomas) and Henderson gets a chance to show that he can be a backup next year after spending 4 years on the team but off the team. Curious how much Bates plays. 

CB: Apple has pretty much solidified his role on the team despite his unknown future but both Hargreaves and Flowers are interesting. This team (every team) will always be in search of CB depth. 

Good read..tks

16 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I'll be curious to see who is making the line calls for us this game. Hill has been terrible when asked to do it. Do Adjeni or Carman have the intellect and IQ for that task?

might leave it up to Allen ,   at least if i was Allen i would be , 

Getting ready to watch Liverpool in an FA Cup match against lower league Shrewsbury. For Premier League era football fans, the FA Cup—once the highest English championship around—has become a virtual nothing Cup. 

Looking at the Liverpool roster, it is littered with back-end senior status nobodies, and a slew of academy teenagers. Shrewsbury will be going all-in, as this will be their one chance at silverware. Liverpool is not using its front-end players, preferring to “rest” them for the league.

Bringing this up, as this visual will be repeating itself at 1pm today on the North Coast. It will be interesting to see what—if anything—the backenders/kids on the Bengals can accomplish. 

So what did we learn?

QB: We probably need a better backup QB.

RB: We are absolutely loaded at RB. Everyone can make plays. They are all back next year too. Evans should probably return kicks.

WR: We got lucky none of the big 3 got injured this year. Taylor should probably be on the roster as a backup WR and Returner.

TE: Wilcox showed he would be fine as the 3rd TE but probably nothing special. 

OL: We have a long way to go. I would be very curious to see others takes and those PFF scores

DL: Wyatt Ray and Mike Daniels showed they can compete. With 3 DTs free agents this offseason I wonder if Daniels isn't in the mix for the 53 next year. 

LB: We have exceptional depth next year. Bailey played great, Johnston played great. Calitro made a play. 

DB: Henderson continues to make plays when given the chance. Fumble recovery for TD here. 2 ints in the preseason. 

13 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

So what did we learn?

QB: We probably need a better backup QB.

RB: We are absolutely loaded at RB. Everyone can make plays. They are all back next year too. Evans should probably return kicks.

WR: We got lucky none of the big 3 got injured this year. Taylor should probably be on the roster as a backup WR and Returner.

TE: Wilcox showed he would be fine as the 3rd TE but probably nothing special. 

OL: We have a long way to go. I would be very curious to see others takes and those PFF scores

DL: Wyatt Ray and Mike Daniels showed they can compete. With 3 DTs free agents this offseason I wonder if Daniels isn't in the mix for the 53 next year. 

LB: We have exceptional depth next year. Bailey played great, Johnston played great. Calitro made a play. 

DB: Henderson continues to make plays when given the chance. Fumble recovery for TD here. 2 ints in the preseason. 

LB Bailey seems to have a history of injuries which is why he fell so low in the draft.

Can we depend on him to spend more time on the field than in the whirlpool?

Can anyone chime in. I caught part of the game on my phone when I had a chance and haven`t cared to watch the recording of the backups yet. But it seems to me and some have said we need a better backup Qb. Brandon sad face not sure I want to be here Allen is great when he is on the sideline but he does not give me any hope when he has to play in a game. Good thing he hasn`t been needed much but man if we did need him I feel like we would be screwed. Want a better capable backup, make him 3rd string and he can still be on the sideline helping Joe Burrow, if he is really helping like Joe says. Maybe he is trying to be like ice cold Joe Burrow with his game face but he stinks.

Archived