OL Offseason 2022

16 hours ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Idiots, LMAO. They obviously don`t know shit about the Bengals. No one misses that guy. Not when we have Chido and Hilton for probably the same money. That was a deal letting him walk.

Agree.  If we want someone to fall down like they slipped when they are beaten in

coverage, we have the Flowers Child.  Well, until the end of the season, I guess.

Zion Johnson NFL Draft 2022: Scouting Report for Boston College IOL

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021379-zion-johnson-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-boston-college-iol?id=011021

HEIGHT: 6'3"

WEIGHT: 316

POSITIVES

— Stout, compact build throughout his frame with thick limbs and a rugged, physical playing style.

— Plays with a low center of gravity, good pad level and very good play strength to root his feet and anchor against the bull rush.

— Impressive mobility in his lower ...

More on Zion

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2947493-2022-nfl-mock-draft-br-nfl-scouting-depts-post-regular-season-picks

Nothing needs to be mentioned other than the fact that no quarterback endured more sacks this season than the Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow. 

The offensive line remains a major question mark for the second straight offseason. With Burrow and his talented trio of wide receivers set, now is the time to get serious about proper protection. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, sparky151 said:

My guess is they will have a minimalist offseason, focused on re-signing 2021 Bengals. Bates will be tagged. Jonah Williams is eligible for a contract extension and may get it this year. So re-signing Spain and Reiff is very much a possibility. I'd go for Allen, the center from the Rams but the Bengals won't. Unless Linderbaum falls to us, we'll probably see Trey Hopkins out there again next season. We'll cut Waynes to pay for Bates tag or new deal, and draft a CB early. 

That's how we roll.

yea thats exactly what we did the last offseason or so.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, Jungletiger said:

This FA season should be even more exciting than last year's.

With an extra $25 mil per team in cap space I would say you are correct and yes on resigning Reiff unless there is someone better in FA.   

I got no problem with drafting someone but I want a known decent player to start the season. 

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Which is why we need an Austrian RT who's 6'7" & 305.

Is pass protection his focal asset?

Noticed he was 25yrs old but if  can he  be a big factor in that area for a few yrs I'm good.

Lots of RT to evaluate for  this system before the draft..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Id liked to see them make some hard cuts in order to have  an offensive line thats considered a very good "pass protecting" unit..

Like really good...

You know?..

Don`t know if there is any hard cuts as none are great, but Jonah Williams comes to mind but man he gets beat way too much. I keep thinking he is young and should be improving but he could be replaced but his price tag will probably keep him here. Have wondered if he should move to the right side or even guard.

Id liked to see them make some hard cuts in order to have  an offensive line thats considered a very good "pass protecting" unit..

Like really good...

You know?..

i agree, i also think its so tough to do, our o-line especially, normally, you cut the worst players, replace with good players, starters become backups, bad players gone. Sadly our worst players are young players developing still, which isnt always wise to cut. so even with improved starters, the backups are still lower level.

They SHOULD develop and be better, but how much in one offseason?

there is no long term goal in keeping fred johnson, hopkins is likely as good as he gets at 6 years in, sam with Xavier.

but id sure love to draft a new center and RT in the first few rounds or in FA, and have a guy like reiff and hopkins as backups, but that means the 1-2 year guys gotta go, which is a tough call to make that early in their development.

18 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Don`t know if there is any hard cuts as none are great, but Jonah Williams comes to mind but man he gets beat way too much. I keep thinking he is young and should be improving but he could be replaced but his price tag will probably keep him here. Have wondered if he should move to the right side or even guard.

Look at pff ratings as MPH on a highway to be great..

Average speed at 70mph to attain rhat goal....

JB is rollin at 91.4 down that highway!.

If your rollin less than 70 your laggin but 65 on up will suffice in areas..

You get 60 or below your lagging..bigtime

Now you can look at whos been the biggest assets to win the AFCN.title.

Jonah Williams graded out 78..

Hes rollin..

12 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

the other issue with a stance like this, IMO, is that the offensive line is a unit, he is the best part of the unit, but everyone else is dragging him down. Additionally, the league is still in transition of these freak athlete pass rushers, and jonah is about the only guy we can afford to leave on an island on the edge, if RD or TE help is to be had, id imagine jonah is getting the least of it. If we had another jonah level player at RT, we can dedicate help to the best pass rusher side each play. but like right now, lets be honest, regardless of rusher, Prince needs the help on that side. 

so the smallest things can change a average or solid lineman into a good or great one. Jonah isnt even in the top 5 concerns i have with the line. Could be wrong, he could be super average forever, but i feel 4 better guys to the right of him would do his numbers some good.

if any of that makes sense.

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Look at pff ratings as MPH on a highway to be great..

Average speed at 70mph to attain rhat goal....

JB is rollin at 91.4 down that highway!.

If your rollin less than 70 your laggin but 65 on up will suffice in areas..

You get 60 or below your lagging..bigtime..

Now you can look at whos been the biggest assets to win the AFCN.title.

Dam his rating is great. I hope I`m not screaming at the tv because of him and guess they will keep him around. 

3 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

the other issue with a stance like this, IMO, is that the offensive line is a unit, he is the best part of the unit, but everyone else is dragging him down. Additionally, the league is still in transition of these freak athlete pass rushers, and jonah is about the only guy we can afford to leave on an island on the edge, if RD or TE help is to be had, id imagine jonah is getting the least of it. If we had another jonah level player at RT, we can dedicate help to the best pass rusher side each play. but like right now, lets be honest, regardless of rusher, Prince needs the help on that side. 

so the smallest things can change a average or solid lineman into a good or great one. Jonah isnt even in the top 5 concerns i have with the line. Could be wrong, he could be super average forever, but i feel 4 better guys to the right of him would do his numbers some good.

if any of that makes sense.

Makes sense, and probably right, the affect the others have really impacts the whole line. Just miss the days of Whitworth or Willie Anderson just locking down whoever they faced. Jonah just seems, don`t want to say soft but he does not have that mean streak or nasty attitude and don`t see the confidence in him. But again young guy I am probably thinking bout it too much and probably is the product as a whole.

32 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

man that Levi Jones - Steinach, Braham, Bobbie Williams, Willie anderson line was incredible. probably the bengals best ever. 

If we can replicate that i am all in on whatever that process is.

Basically Jonah is Levi now.

Notice that Steinbach was a pass protecting pulling guard..

That's Adenijjis biggest asset ..not a right side power guard..

Definately miss used this year but an emergency fillet at RG ..

Braham.vs whoever..

Sign a solid vet center..priority 

Bobbi.vs.who?..Carmen seems a player for the power slot there..

Willie vs?...Reiff could provide another doable protection for a couple yrs .65pff grade????

Draft a no brainer RT ..yes and yes..and yes..

Pass protecting first and foremost 

I think you have to buy a Center. It's relatively cheap, and just having a guy who can make the right shifts and line calls would be a huge help. This is an area where you want a vet.

In the draft, if you need one position, you draft two players. You bring Reiff back AND take an RT high. (Chip-chip-chippewa-chiree... He's a big Austrian Ubermensch Clapton... What are you not getting here?)

I don't care how "young" Carman is, if he can't make the 53 or PS, he can't make it. I'd be looking for my best C/G prospect on day 2. Spain is also of advanced years.

Let Reiff and the Rook hold down RT. Vet C in the middle, and then the rest of the funky bunch can all fight it out for RG and backup C.

Really, the Bengals need to sign two, and draft 4. Then keep the best 9. Other picks are fun and sexy, but we can't keep Burrow upright, and we can't get 3rd and 1.  

Is pass protection his focal asset?

Noticed he was 25yrs old but if  can he  be a big factor in that area for a few yrs I'm good.

Lots of RT to evaluate for  this system before the draft..

Powerful run blocker - Raimann, has helped running back Lew Nichols III rush for more than 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns this season.

Bruse Feldman has put Raimann as No. 26 on his yearly freaks list, citing his massive frame, strength (450-pound bench press), and athleticism, including a 4.6-second time in the 20-yard shuttle, 1.56-second 10-yard sprint, 9 foot, 7.5-inch broad jump, and 33-inch vertical leap.

3.8 GPA.

Needs technique refinement - but still has room to put on more bulk. Has only played Tackle two years. But he's not Margus Hunt - he's been good at the College level with tremendous upside. 3.8 GPA tells me he's not afraid to work hard.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY

It's really amazing how Raimann has developed so quickly. Converting from WR to tackle is something you don't see, but he has seemingly made it look easy.
He's super athletic with the frame to put even more mass on, has shown excellent technique in both run and pass blocking, and is a great student with an impressive work ethic.
While there are issues with his game - notably he's currently undersized for a tackle and maybe more suited to guard in the pros but these should be overlooked as he is one of the most promising prospects in the 2022 NFL Draft.
We currently consider Raimann a high second-round prospect - who may squeeze into day one with an impressive performance at the combine.

22 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I don't care how "young" Carman is, if he can't make the 53 or PS, he can't make it. I'd be looking for my best C/G prospect on day 2. Spain is also of advanced years.

Let Reiff and the Rook hold down RT. Vet C in the middle, and then the rest of the funky bunch can all fight it out for RG and backup C.

Really, the Bengals need to sign two, and draft 4. Then keep the best 9. Other picks are fun and sexy, but we can't keep Burrow upright, and we can't get 3rd and 1.  

thats not really how most good long term linemen pan out. he is gonna get another season and offseason almost no matter what. according to PFF he hasnt given up any of burrows 50+ sacks. not that thats the whole story.. but i assuming (really hoping i guess) he matures, comes into campo in shape, and puts in work with pollack in the offseason and is capable of starting.  maybe im hoping for too much, but its not impossible.

Archived