OL Offseason 2022

19 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

thats not really how most good long term linemen pan out. he is gonna get another season and offseason almost no matter what. according to PFF he hasnt given up any of burrows 50+ sacks. not that thats the whole story.. but i assuming (really hoping i guess) he matures, comes into campo in shape, and puts in work with pollack in the offseason and is capable of starting.  maybe im hoping for too much, but its not impossible.

If he takes a leap forward, then great. But you'll know by the end of preseason if he's going to work out. We have plenty of holes in our depth. It's not like we're expecting a second rounder to make it on a line of first rounders... Carman has to beat out Fred Johnson and Trey Hill for depth. If he can't manage that, why hold a roster spot just because? You're throwing good money after bad at that point.

I mean, if we can't move on from Carman, Smith, and Adjeni - what upgrades can we make? We can't be afraid to draft a guard. 

There's plenty of room on the PS as well. 

7 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If he takes a leap forward, then great. But you'll know by the end of preseason if he's going to work out. We have plenty of holes in our depth. It's not like we're expecting a second rounder to make it on a line of first rounders... Carman has to beat out Fred Johnson and Trey Hill for depth. If he can't manage that, why hold a roster spot just because? You're throwing good money after bad at that point.

I mean, if we can't move on from Carman, Smith, and Adjeni - what upgrades can we make? We can't be afraid to draft a guard. 

There's plenty of room on the PS as well. 

well... the "just because" is because linemen develop slowly in some cases. now let me be clear, this isnt completely a development issue, its mostly a "the dumbass showed up fat and worthless to camp" problem. 

now in his last games of 33 snaps or more, his overall grade is roughly 65.6 which puts him in the 46-48th rank range for guards, given that there are 2 guards, top 64 is starting guard range. so it makes him an average 2nd guard. 

not saying thats a good thing, but his stats and grades show improvement over the season. if you remove his first two abortion starts, his season grade is in the mid 60's as well.

so if he can go from fatass dubmass rookie to serviceable starter in a matter of 8 start-equivilent games worth of snaps, id say he can make some strides in an entire offseason and preseason.

so fingers crossed.  i just feel like lots of people act like he is as bad as he was the first moth of the season, and his performance has basically doubled grade wise in a matter of 4 months.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Powerful run blocker - Raimann, has helped running back Lew Nichols III rush for more than 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns this season.

Bruse Feldman has put Raimann as No. 26 on his yearly freaks list, citing his massive frame, strength (450-pound bench press), and athleticism, including a 4.6-second time in the 20-yard shuttle, 1.56-second 10-yard sprint, 9 foot, 7.5-inch broad jump, and 33-inch vertical leap.

3.8 GPA.

Needs technique refinement - but still has room to put on more bulk. Has only played Tackle two years. But he's not Margus Hunt - he's been good at the College level with tremendous upside. 3.8 GPA tells me he's not afraid to work hard.

Seems to be w good prospect in their draft range..

If they pulled the trigger on him Id be allrght..

Still lookin at other RT options and olinemen though..

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

man that Levi Jones - Steinach, Braham, Bobbie Williams, Willie anderson line was incredible. probably the bengals best ever. 

If we can replicate that i am all in on whatever that process is.

Gotta go with 1988:

OC Bruce Kozerski

OG Max Montoya

OG Bruce Reimers

OT Anthony Munoz

OT Joe Walter

You can quibble about the exact year in that timeframe, but the best ever Bengals OL had Max Montoya and Anthony Munoz on it.

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

thats not really how most good long term linemen pan out. he is gonna get another season and offseason almost no matter what. according to PFF he hasnt given up any of burrows 50+ sacks. not that thats the whole story.. but i assuming (really hoping i guess) he matures, comes into campo in shape, and puts in work with pollack in the offseason and is capable of starting.  maybe im hoping for too much, but its not impossible.

I watched Carman whiff last weekend and get Burrow sacked.  If PFF says any different they are full of shit. 

I thought Smith looked pretty decent against Cleveland.  When they put Johnson in Clownet was killing him.  When they moved Garrett to Smith’s side he did beat Smith for a sack. I thought he was pretty good for a guy who basically hasn’t played. 

I also thought Smith played pretty well. He gave up that one sack to Garrett but that was the only time I even noticed him the whole time he was in there. No shame in getting beat by Garrett once in a game, dudes a monster. 

Archived