Raiders Week part 2 - AFC Wildcard weekend

i just watched the first game on gamepass again.

i could of things i noticed.

1. we didnt score AT ALL in the first 3 qtrs without them having a penalty extend our drive, a slightly cleaner game by them and we go into the 4th qtr down 0-6.

2. its like watching a different team on offense, something drastic changed in our last few games, our pass game was rough to watch, was it opponent? we made changes? i dunno but man its brutal.

3. their pass rush gave us the business, burrow got pressured AND hit a LOT.

4. we contained renfro super well, but they have changed up things and featured him much more, he is a pest.

5. Hilton seemed to cover waller the best, bates got beat, apple got murdered, pressuring Carr though, seems to be the best way to eliminate waller.

6. our WR's had no separation what so ever, aside from 2-3 underneath passes with them having a small gap, and one deep one to chase that wasnt completed, everything was thrown into traffic, this is where i feel like we are a different offense, did we get that much better? did we change something? did we just play trash ass teams?

7. we had no plays over 20 yards aside from one run by joe at the end.  seems imposible.

im not as confident as i was before i watched this old game.

33 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

5. Hilton seemed to cover waller the best, bates got beat, apple got murdered, pressuring Carr though, seems to be the best way to eliminate waller.

Pressuring Carr is essential.  He is very accurrate in the pocket.  Make him move and bad things happen.  You can say this about every QB, but from my observations Carr is terrible when he has to move.

There was a play against the Chargers where Waller was wide open in the end zone.  Carr had to move a bit in the pocket and pressure was coming.  He threw up an awful pass that landed out of bounds.  Burrow makes that throw 95 times out of 100.

29 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

i just watched the first game on gamepass again.

i could of things i noticed.

1. we didnt score AT ALL in the first 3 qtrs without them having a penalty extend our drive, a slightly cleaner game by them and we go into the 4th qtr down 0-6.

2. its like watching a different team on offense, something drastic changed in our last few games, our pass game was rough to watch, was it opponent? we made changes? i dunno but man its brutal.

3. their pass rush gave us the business, burrow got pressured AND hit a LOT.

4. we contained renfro super well, but they have changed up things and featured him much more, he is a pest.

6. our WR's had no separation what so ever, aside from 2-3 underneath passes with them having a small gap, and one deep one to chase that wasnt completed, everything was thrown into traffic, this is where i feel like we are a different offense, did we get that much better? did we change something? did we just play trash ass teams?

7. we had no plays over 20 yards aside from one run by joe at the end.  seems imposible.

im not as confident as i was before i watched this old game.

And this may not be a 30-carry 123-yd 2 TD game for Mixon either. Bradley's Cover-3 schemes are suffocating. 

Will have to be near-perfect on defense, if the offense cannot score. Carr may not be the best, but he's definitely good enough with Waller to make some nightmares. 

Let's put it this way: if this was the "easy" draw, yikes! 

I am worried as the Bengals seem to be of their DE`s just wrecking shit, and their DT`s are stout. Don`t like that the Bengals seemed to play conservative against Raiders and Denver and give their D too much credit. Only bonus has been second half adjustments by the Bengals have been huge this year. Hopefully second game adjustments are going to start out better.

Higgins' breakout was after this game - said later that his shoulder started feeling better and he trusted it more as season wore on following his injury against the Bears. They went into this game with a deliberate gameplan to run, not throw. It was JoeB's lowest passing output of the season. They did that because of trying to protect him from the d-line. Did they do too much of that? Hard to say, in the end, it worked out. Gameplan was much like it was when they went to Denver really. Do they change things up without worry at PBS about crowd noise when on offense? Can they give Prince enough help against Crosby to pass more? Dunno. 

The passing game explosion wasn't against trash-ass teams. 49ers have good pass D, Burrow carved them up late. Chiefs defense is excellent against the pass, same carve up. Ravens whined about injuries to their D but that same injured D shut down everyone else they played but Bengals.  It comes down to how much ZT allows Burrow to cook and how much he and Burrow trust the line in terms of how much more passing they do than first time around. Raiders statistically SHOULD be attacked on the ground, but that takes the ball out of Burrow's hands too, so...

21 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

I am worried as the Bengals seem to be of their DE`s just wrecking shit, and their DT`s are stout. Don`t like that the Bengals seemed to play conservative against Raiders and Denver and give their D too much credit. Only bonus has been second half adjustments by the Bengals have been huge this year. Hopefully second game adjustments are going to start out better.

Philon(sp?) being out for them helps as someone mentioned, at least vs the run, Joe vs a team the second time adjustments is what i am eager to see. It feels like there isnt a scheme Joe cant beat, especially once he has seen it. I am in that weird spot where i wouldnt be shocked if we win 41-3 or if we lose 13-7. this is going to be a long week even though its a short week.

18 minutes ago, membengal said:

18 minutes ago, membengal said:

Higgins' breakout was after this game - said later that his shoulder started feeling better and he trusted it more as season wore on following his injury against the Bears. They went into this game with a deliberate gameplan to run, not throw. It was JoeB's lowest passing output of the season. They did that because of trying to protect him from the d-line. Did they do too much of that? Hard to say, in the end, it worked out. Gameplan was much like it was when they went to Denver really. Do they change things up without worry at PBS about crowd noise when on offense? Can they give Prince enough help against Crosby to pass more? Dunno. 

The passing game explosion wasn't against trash-ass teams. 49ers have good pass D, Burrow carved them up late. Chiefs defense is excellent against the pass, same carve up. Ravens whined about injuries to their D but that same injured D shut down everyone else they played but Bengals.  It comes down to how much ZT allows Burrow to cook and how much he and Burrow trust the line in terms of how much more passing they do than first time around. Raiders statistically SHOULD be attacked on the ground, but that takes the ball out of Burrow's hands too, so...

these are the things that give me hope, i think i felt like those defenses were trash because joe makes it look so easy to mash them up.

Interesting, from Paul Dehner

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1480942361287049219?s=20

"The high Saturday is slated to be 27 degrees. Zac Taylor on Monday said smiling, "it's not a disadvantage." Derek Carr for his career in games where kickoff temp was even 37 degrees or less? 0-5, never scored more than 17 points, one game with a passer rating over 78."

38 minutes ago, Sox said:

Interesting, from Paul Dehner

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1480942361287049219?s=20

"The high Saturday is slated to be 27 degrees. Zac Taylor on Monday said smiling, "it's not a disadvantage." Derek Carr for his career in games where kickoff temp was even 37 degrees or less? 0-5, never scored more than 17 points, one game with a passer rating over 78."

Although still 4 days out, the weather seems to be improving a smidge. The wet stuff is out of the forecast and the wind is fairly benign. 27 degrees at kickoff, not getting much lower than 24 for the extent of the game. 

Are you going to be at Pub in Gahanna? 

54 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Although still 4 days out, the weather seems to be improving a smidge. The wet stuff is out of the forecast and the wind is fairly benign. 27 degrees at kickoff, not getting much lower than 24 for the extent of the game. 

man id take 0 degrees here in Co over 24 degrees in ohio anyday... its so fucking cold in ohio.

6 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

man id take 0 degrees here in Co over 24 degrees in ohio anyday... its so fucking cold in ohio.

If I live to be 100, that Jets playoff game was the coldest I have ever felt in that stadium. Damp as hell too. Remember: it's not the cold, it's the humidity! 😄

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

If I live to be 100, that Jets playoff game was the coldest I have ever felt in that stadium. Damp as hell too. Remember: it's not the cold, it's the humidity! 😄

i barely remember that one, there was a cold as fuck bills game i remember, and away game in cleveland in '08 or '09 or something, worthless game, like high of 0, standing on ice.. fuck that place.

i bought battery pack heated socks, heated gloves, hot hands packs, fleece of all kinds. i dont own a coat, because colorado has sunshine, and a fleece jacket and hat is warm enough 99.999% of the time here. i dont go skiing so, house is warm, car is warm, office is warm, so i have to layer up for these games. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

If I can find a sitter, possible. I need to see if Ruthie is free. On the other hand I have a nice bourbon here...

2 hours ago, Sox said:

If I can find a sitter, possible. I need to see if Ruthie is free. On the other hand I have a nice bourbon here...

I will be in stadium, but Tom and the Nation need your assistance! 

Should the next playoff game be away from PBS, I will definitely make the Pub! 

Archived