2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That's almost exactly what Ted Karras made last year. And I'd offer him double that to bring some of them Belichick smarts to this O-Line room.

I'll settle for Ben Jones.

If they can pull in Karras for 6.2 mil

per they'll jump on it.

My question is he's been playing guard for the most part..

Is that a flag for our next center?..

Or is he our new RG?..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Agree..

Hell Bates and Bell are a good tandem.

Heres the deal..

Bates has been up and down for 4 yrs.

Are ypu paying him for 2020 or 2021??

I saw him at his peak and now his basement..

Who are you paying for?

If you want to keep building the culture, yiu HAVE to sign this guy. Even if yoiu overpay a bit, there is loads of cap space now and in the coming years. But he seems to be a team leader and you have to pay for that until there are more leaders and then you can be more clinical about it. 

33 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If you want to keep building the culture, yiu HAVE to sign this guy. Even if yoiu overpay a bit, there is loads of cap space now and in the coming years. But he seems to be a team leader and you have to pay for that until there are more leaders and then you can be more clinical about it. 

Good points..

26 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

It depends. He went into the season talking "Best safety in the NFL" money.

If you lose the guy, he's hard to replace. Even "bad" Bates is a passable NFL SS. And those aren't available at the 5 and dime. But you also have some guys on one year prove it deals who need to get paid too. Do you pay Eli Apple like a bust or off 2021 production.

I like driving a nice Lotus Exige. But my insurance payment says I like driving a Passat. Maybe Bates could get more money signing with a bottom feeder who needs a big name... Given a fair price, I'd resign the guy.

Given a fair price...

Yes..

23 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

ouch?! Takes a $3.1M pay cut if I understand the earlier money review. I would think many players would do the big FU and leave town. He must want to stick around for a new contract.

He would have already been paid the $3.1 million for this season so, he's not out anything at this point. He stays on the practice squad and can get brought up to the active roster should the Bengals need him. Not sure if practice squad players are eligible for the playoff bonuses or not but, the only only difference between the active roster and practice squad (I believe) would be this. Quinton Spain essentially spent the majority of last season moving up and down from the practice squad. Now that the practice squad players include vested veterans, moves like this are more common. Having said that, I still don't fully understand the reason for the move.

Where this really affects Su'a-Filo is that it ends his contracts so, the $3.1 million on the table for next year is officially gone but...that could have been the case any way as they could have cut him in the offseason effectively accomplishing the same thing.

10 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

ouch?! Takes a $3.1M pay cut if I understand the earlier money review. I would think many players would do the big FU and leave town. He must want to stick around for a new contract.

A few points (kinda spitballing here):

Maybe he wants to stick around for the “something special“ that this team has going on.

Also, unless someone has found it, we don’t know how much they signed him for.  There is a minimum amount, but I don’t think there is an upper limit for practice squad players.  [In the past New England has signed practice squad players that they do not want to lose to “normal-sized” contracts.]. 

Whatever the amount is, a “FU and leave town” would be saying goodbye to that.  Unless he wants to take a chance that another playoff team has a rash of injuries and not much in the way of backups.  Plus, while he is on the Bengals practice squad, another team can still sign him…they’d just need to put him on their active roster,

:shrug:  

5 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

He would have already been paid the $3.1 million for this season so, he's not out anything at this point. He stays on the practice squad and can get brought up to the active roster should the Bengals need him. Not sure if practice squad players are eligible for the playoff bonuses or not but, the only only difference between the active roster and practice squad (I believe) would be this. Quinton Spain essentially spent the majority of last season moving up and down from the practice squad. Now that the practice squad players include vested veterans, moves like this are more common. Having said that, I still don't fully understand the reason for the move.

Needed room for the DTs being brought in?  :shrug: 

8 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Needed room for the DTs being brought in?  :shrug: 

I definitely think this is part of it but, why not put them on the practice squad and elevate them for the game? Maybe you cannot "demote" someone with a regular contract from the active roster to the practice squad so, maybe this was the only way to essentially swap them in for him. But, they activated him to cut him and move him to the practice squad. Seems strange.

:shrug: is an appropriate emoji! 

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I definitely think this is part of it but, why not put them on the practice squad and elevate them for the game? Maybe you cannot "demote" someone with a regular contract from the active roster to the practice squad so, maybe this was the only way to essentially swap them in for him. But, they activated him to cut him and move him to the practice squad. Seems strange.

:shrug: is an appropriate emoji! 

I certainly do not know all the ends and outs but I was thinking if a player was released he went to the waiver wire for 24hrs or so before he can be placed back on the practice squad.

Archived