Should the NFL adopt the NCAA first down rule in regards to clock stoppage?

I hate the cowboys and am glad they lost, but i do think the college system of stopping the clock on first down to restart the clock after the ball is spotted makes a lot of sense. atleast under 2 minutes in each half?

if there is any team getting "screwed" with enough pull to change a rule its dallas.

thoughts?

i dig the NCAA rule, just not for the entire game.

13 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

I hate the cowboys and am glad they lost, but i do think the college system of stopping the clock on first down to restart the clock after the ball is spotted makes a lot of sense. atleast under 2 minutes in each half?

if there is any team getting "screwed" with enough pull to change a rule its dallas.

thoughts?

No I think the rule is fine don`t extend the game anymore. Just my thoughts on it. And not so much extending the game but pro rules vs college leave it at that. They should have done it within the 60 minutes. Give the opposing team more time no thanks let that clock run out.

I'd be fine if they want to make that change but I'm ok with it not either, I mean, it comes down to the team/players managing the clock appropriate to the rule.

I find it hilarious that the Cowboys fans are blaming the ref when Dax messed up both by running too far/long and then not having any clue about NEEDING to give the ball to the ref.  Too bad, your fault.

Fuck to the fuck NO!

College games are way too  long as it is - an average of fifty-two extra real-time minutes are added to the average game because they stop the clock after first downs.  . I can't believe someone without their fucking head up their fucking ass would fucking propose such fucking fucktard shit ..

Fuck that.

2 minutes ago, Griever said:

Hmm, maybe. The one rule I wouldn't mind seeing is 15yd max penalty for PI. Spot of the foul can be brutal sometimes. I'm sure it works in your favor as much as it doesn't if you push the ball down the field a lot tho.

As you say it goes both ways.  I think it should be spot of the foul. Only way the penalty matches the crime.

24 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

As much as I despise any more NFL rule changes, this one has always made sense. 

22 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

No I think the rule is fine don`t extend the game anymore. Just my thoughts on it. And not so much extending the game but pro rules vs college leave it at that. They should have done it within the 60 minutes. Give the opposing team more time no thanks let that clock run out.

it would also give us extra time if we are in that spot, its not just for bengals opposition, lol

10 minutes ago, Griever said:

Hmm, maybe. The one rule I wouldn't mind seeing is 15yd max penalty for PI. Spot of the foul can be brutal sometimes. I'm sure it works in your favor as much as it doesn't if you push the ball down the field a lot tho.

i am torn on that one, i think in the nfl if youre beat anytime over 15 yards guys are smart enough to just mug the WR and save themselves 30 yards of gain, might get ugly.

8 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I'd be fine if they want to make that change but I'm ok with it not either, I mean, it comes down to the team/players managing the clock appropriate to the rule.

I find it hilarious that the Cowboys fans are blaming the ref when Dax messed up both by running too far/long and then not having any clue about NEEDING to give the ball to the ref.  Too bad, your fault.

cowboys fans are stupid, dak sucks, they should worry about that.

3 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Fuck to the fuck NO!

College games are way too fuck to the fucking long as it is - an average of fifty-two extra real-time minutes are added to the average game because they stop the fucking clock after first fucking downs.  Fuck that fucking fuck-ass fucking shit.  I can't believe someone without their fucking head up their fucking ass would fucking propose such fucking fucktard shit ..

Fuck that.

thats why i was thinking just the last 2 minutes either of each half or the game. My position of favor is that the game is relying on a 60 yr old dude not in great shape running with pro athletes and spotting a ball, if he falls down the team is fucked over? that shits wild.

6 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Fuck to the fuck NO!

College games are way too fuck to the fucking long as it is - an average of fifty-two extra real-time minutes are added to the average game because they stop the fucking clock after first fucking downs.  Fuck that fucking fuck-ass fucking shit.  I can't believe someone without their fucking head up their fucking ass would fucking propose such fucking fucktard shit ..

Fuck that.

It makes the game longer, but I don’t think it’s 52 minutes. 

59 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

i am torn on that one, i think in the nfl if youre beat anytime over 15 yards guys are smart enough to just mug the WR and save themselves 30 yards of gain, might get ugly.

this is an excellent point

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

thoughts?

I would get rid of the 2 minute timeout and institute the clock stoppage for 1st downs only in the last 2 minutes.  

3 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Fuck to the fuck NO!

Fuck that.

How do you REALLY FEEL??😂😂😂

4 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Fuck to the fuck NO!

Fuck that.

The problem with this take is the clock is NOT stopped after a first down in college only paused. It is stopped for a few seconds until the ball is spotted and the chains are moved. It then restarts.  

There were 41 first downs  in our game. Even if the clock is stopped for 10 seconds (it’s not), it’s less than 7 extra minutes, way less than 52

Halftimes in college are 8 minutes longer than the pros.   College timeouts are 90 seconds long while in the pros they are only 30 unless there is a TV timeout.

I have no idea how the TV timeouts work but they seem to last forever. 

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

I would get rid of the 2 minute timeout and institute the clock stoppage for 1st downs only in the last 2 minutes.  

Interesting take. My guess is the coaches would rather have the 2 min warning but maybe not. 

I would be up for this since the 2 minute warning is usually 3 minutes of commercials and they are pros, they don’t need a 2 min warning.  

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Interesting take. My guess is the coaches would rather have the 2 min warning but maybe not. 

I would be up for this since the 2 minute warning is usually 3 minutes of commercials and they are pros, they don’t need a 2 min warning.  

…and how much $ is generated from 2-minute warning commercials?

4 hours ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Yes to that..

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its a part of the game that fans enjoy..

Clock management gives use something to talk "whine" about. 

The coaching strategies at the end of the game add to the anxiety and keep us at the edge of our seats.

Remember that game in 2015 I think where Mike Nugent had to run on the field to kick a FG before time expired so we went to OT. Awesome exciting stuff that was.

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

I have always wondered how an NBC makes their money on Premier League matches—when the only stoppage is halftime, and a sizable portion of that is Rebecca and the Two Robbie’s yakking? 

Link 1: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rise-of-the-four-hour-college-football-game-1443468601

Link 2: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/how-long-is-too-long-a-college-football-game/

Link 3: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/how-long-do-college-football-games-last

In 2015, in the first month alone, there were 66 games that lasted for more than 3 1/2 hours and six epics that passed 4 hours (WSJ, Link 1 above)  The trend from 2006-2014 saw a 12% increase in the # of plays (from 127 to 143) and a corresponding lengthening of the game by 16 minutes.  That's in a dozen years.  Plus there have been an added 11 minutes of pad over that time, as scoring, plays and TV commercials have increased.  (CBS, Link 2).  As of June 2020, the length had already increased to 3:24 across ALL of the NCAA - not just FBS, but all the way from Ohio State to Northeast Oklahoma School of Dentistry (Athlon Sports, Link 3).

I'm struggling to find data that's specific to FBS, but they're undoubtedly the worst offender and I cannot believe that their times are any but the longest of all of NCAA.  Just a straight line projection of the data CBS was tracking over eight additional seasons would imply that games have 154 plays and bump the average by 10 more minutes.  Just the average, mind you - half of the games will last longer than the average... many many of them significantly longer due to TV, high-powered offenses, lots of scoring, lots of first downs, etc.

No.   Don't turn the NFL into the NCAA.  Walk away from this.

Archived