1 hour ago, membengal said:

When the combine gets here, while the 40 isn't the be-all end-all, it does seem to hold plenty of importance when it comes to sorting through draftable CBs...

There has probably never been a CB who’s draft status will so depend on 40 time than Ahmad Gardner.  

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

There has probably never been a CB who’s draft status will so depend on 40 time than Ahmad Gardner.  

Im with ya on that..

Gardner is a long lanky kid who 

weighed 160lbs when recruited by Luke Fickle who ran a 4.74 ..

Hes put on weight (maybe 200lbs)

Scouts arr eager to see what his 40 time will be now..

Estimates from 4.45 to 4.60..

Hes Never allowed. a TD pass his way playing on an island at UC..

He has all the traits you like.

Its the 40 time that will secure how high or low he goes..

I like the kids potential..

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Slow CB's get moved to safety lol.

I recall when we drfated Ratcliffe (sp?) , did he not have like a 4.61 40? He was nother solid second round pick back in the day

Im thinking Gardner is more a cover guy than having the traits of a safety especially SS..

I think Earl nailed it about his 40 time as a corner..

Run Sauce run!

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Slow CB's get moved to safety lol.

I recall when we drfated Ratcliffe (sp?) , did he not have like a 4.61 40? He was nother solid second round pick back in the day

Yeah Keiwan Ratliff, I remember Marvin telling us in a presser that he was "the smartest" and "would be a coach some day"... I was like... but can he play football now?

31 minutes ago, gupps said:

We also have Wyatt Hubert AKA  Hair!

Height: 6-3

Weight: 258 lbs

His 10 and 20splits were on the low end.

His very short arms (30 or 31 ) hurt his abilities..

Hes hardnosed, allways active and smart though..

Theres a place for him here..albeit a minor role or emergency..

NFL Scouting Combine preview: Malik Willis, Justyn Ross and more players NFL scouts are watching at each position

Georgia defensive lineman Travon Walker (44) and defensive lineman Devonte Wyatt (95) set up for a play during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Florida, Saturday, Oct. 30, 2021, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)
By Dane Brugler Feb 28, 2022comment-icon.png 19 save-icon.png

Most already know this, but I’ll mention it as a necessary disclaimer: Of the three main steps at the annual NFL Scouting Combine, the on-field workouts are the least important.

Comprehensive medical reports are why the combine was created, and they remain the most significant aspect of the event. Second are the interviews as teams get a chance at valuable face time with the 324 NFL hopefuls in Indianapolis.

In third place are the on-field workouts and agility testing, which are basically fail-safe measures. It allows evaluators to cross-check what they have already seen on tape and attach quantitative data to prospects for threshold and comparison purposes. If a player tests wildly different than expectations, then it is back to the tape to figure out why.

Even though the testing might be the third-most important aspect of the combine, there is still a ton of value from the athletic and position-specific drills. For this combine primer, I went position-by-position for a quick summary of one player NFL scouts are eager to see work out (along with some other notes).

Quarterback: Malik Willis, Liberty

The combine was going to be a great opportunity for Ole Miss’ Matt Corral to make a statement, but unfortunately he will not perform on the field this week as he works his way back from his bowl game ankle injury.

Willis had a positive week in Mobile and will look to continue that momentum in Indianapolis. He is an outstanding athlete and should test that way, especially considering his rocked-up, 220-pound build. But most importantly for Willis will be the position-specific drills where teams will get a further look at his arm talent and timing.

On tape, Willis’ best throws were vertical shots down the sideline or seam where he could drop the ball in the bucket. He has the arm strength to fire lasers on out-breaking routes, but scouts will be more focused on the timing and anticipation than the velocity.

What else to watch: Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder will also test extremely well — his numbers will look more like a wide receiver’s than a quarterback’s. … Nevada’s Carson Strong won’t test nearly as well, but the most important aspect of the combine for him will be the medicals. How team doctors diagnose his knee will determine what round he is drafted in April.

Running back: Kenneth Walker, Michigan State

Walker is already my RB1 (and I know several NFL teams that agree), but the combine will be important for him to not only cement that status, but prove why he should be a top-40 draft pick. I don’t think he will be an amazing tester, but no college football player forced more missed tackles last season, so his numbers should be interesting context.

However, more important than his athletic testing, how does Walker catch the football? He touched the ball 499 times in his college career, but only 3.8% of those touches were receptions. I didn’t see any drops on his film, but with only 16 targets with the Spartans last season, Walker is largely unproven right now as a pass-catcher.

What else to watch: After Walker, the next three running backs in my rankings are Texas A&M’s Isaiah Spiller, Iowa State’s Breece Hall and BYU’s Tyler Allgeier. All three are above average in several position-specific areas, but I don’t expect any of the three to be top testers. … Florida’s Dameon Pierce might not have an amazing 40-yard dash, but he is plenty explosive on tape, and that should be reflected in his jumps. He generated positive momentum in Mobile, and that should continue in Indianapolis as Pierce tries to sneak into day two of the draft. … Georgia’s James Cook bowed out of the Senior Bowl, and scouts are eager to get a look at him at the combine.

Wide receiver: Justyn Ross, Clemson

As a true freshman, Ross looked like a future top-10 pick. In Clemson’s 2018 national title run, he combined for 12 catches for 301 yards and three touchdowns in two playoff games, including several highlight-reel grabs. He led the team in receptions as a sophomore, but then he missed the 2020 season because of surgery to address a congenital fusion in his neck. Ross was cleared for the 2021 season, but he didn’t receive much help from the Tigers’ quarterback situation, and his season ended prematurely because of a stress fracture in his foot that required surgery.

At his best, Ross is a limber, twitchy athlete with outstanding body control both as a route runner and at the catch point. Because of his athletic movements and length, he might have the largest catch radius of any receiver in this draft class. But what will the medical feedback look like from team doctors? Is he the same athlete from before the injuries? Ross has been cleared, and teams expect him to go through full workouts in Indianapolis.

What else to watch: Arkansas’ Treylon Burks is my WR2, and his testing should back that up. At 225-ish pounds, he is expected to run in the 4.4 range. His three-cone is the drill I’m most interested in for Burks. I think there is a wide variance of possible results there. … Is USC’s Drake London healthy enough to work out? If he does, can he run faster than a 4.55? Maybe not, and that is okay. I expect he will test similar to Tee Higgins (4.59 40-yard dash at 6-4 and 216 pounds). … Ohio State’s Chris Olave was a 10.8 100-meter sprinter in high school and should light up stopwatches with his testing. … Penn State’s Jahan Dotson should also be in the 4.3 range in the 40-yard dash. …

Western Michigan’s Skyy Moore has outstanding hands, reflexes and toughness to work the middle of the field. He didn’t look like a blazer on film, but don’t be surprised if he runs in the low 4.4s in the 40-yard dash. Moore, who should also be one of the best performers in the gauntlet drill, can make a strong case why he should be one of the first 10 receivers drafted this year. … Calvin Austin always considered himself more of a football player, but his scholarship offer to Memphis was to track, not football, and he was forced to walk on. He won nine high school state championships in track, including a 10.55 100-meters. …

Michigan State’s Jalen Nailor is more gadget receiver than polished pass-catcher, but he won high school state titles in the 100 meters and 200 meters at Bishop Gorman, and his athleticism should be evident at the combine. Injuries have been an issue for him, so the medical evaluation bears watching. … Baylor’s football team was one of the fastest in the country last season and Tyquan Thornton was one of the fastest on the team. The Miami native ran a 10.50 100 meters in high school and should light up stopwatches in Indianapolis. Just as important will be his medical evaluations.

Tight end: Greg Dulcich, UCLA

I have been screaming it since the fall, but TE1 is wide open. One of the tight ends with a realistic chance at the top spot is Dulcich, who continues to impress the more you watch him. He was one of the “winners” of Senior Bowl week and has a chance to continue that momentum in Indianapolis.

With six catches of 30-plus yards in 2021, Dulcich should be the fastest tight end at the Combine and a sub 4.60 40-yard dash is a realistic goal. And with his natural explosion, he should be a top performer in the other drills as well.

What else to watch: At 240-ish pounds, Coastal Carolina’s Isaiah Likely is more oversized receiver than traditional tight end and his testing numbers should be impressive. … Does Colorado State’s Trey McBride run a sub-4.7 in the 40-yard dash? It might be close. … Ohio State’s Jeremy Ruckert suffered a minor foot injury during Senior Bowl week and will wait until the Buckeyes’ pro day to do his full workout.

Offensive tackle: Tyler Smith, Tulsa

One of the most intriguing prospects in this draft class, Smith has outstanding foundational traits with his frame, length, and athleticism. His fundamentals need rebuilt from the ground up and he has no chance at an NFL career unless he improves his play discipline. But his explosive strength and physical traits jump off the screen, which should be reflected during the on-field drills.

There is a massive gap between where Smith is now and his ceiling as an NFL player. Still only 20 years old, his combine interviews will give offensive line coaches a better idea of where he is in his mental development. Although he is already well thought of around the league (and made my top-100 update a few weeks ago), a strong performance in Indianapolis could land Smith in the top 50 picks.

What else to watch: Ohio State’s Nicholas Petit-Frere is another prospect where the technique is a mess, but his spry athleticism should be on display in Indianapolis. With plenty of questions about his play strength, anchor, and fundamentals, it will be important for Petit-Frere to be a top performer with his athleticism. … With Alabama’s Evan Neal not working out this week, that could be an opportunity for NC State’s Ikem Ekwonu to make a move. A state champion wrestler and decorated track athlete in high school, Ickey ran the anchor leg of the 4×100 relay at 285 pounds as a senior. … Northern Iowa’s Trevor Penning and Central Michigan’s Bernhard Raimann both made Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List for their rare blend of strength and quickness. Both should do well for themselves during positional and agility drills.

Interior offensive line: Cam Jurgens, Nebraska

Throw on the Nebraska tape and you will see rare quickness and play range from the center position. A high school tight end, Jurgens made the transition to center without losing his athleticism and started 31 games over the past three seasons.

In high school, Jurgens also was a four-time state champion in the discus and three-time champion in the shot put. On the field, Jurgens moves really well laterally and will routinely stretch outside and pick off linebackers or defensive backs downfield. There are plenty of questions about his sustain strength and consistency, but he looks like the developmental day three version of Iowa’s Tyler Linderbaum — and the combine should confirm that.

What else to watch: Iowa’s Tyler Linderbaum will be a top performer in Indianapolis and should confirm what we already know about him — pound-for-pound, he is one of the strongest and most athletic players in the draft. … On tape, Texas A&M’s Kenyon Green is explosive out of his stance with terrific mobility to pull, trap, reach, and execute combos. That should equate to positive combine numbers and only help his chances of being the first interior lineman drafted in April. …

A high school tight end, Memphis’ Dylan Parham is a smooth mover and should do well for himself during drills. … Ohio State’s Thayer Munford had a rocky 2021 season on tape and then decided to opt out of the Senior Bowl. He has a lot of work to do at the combine to convince NFL teams he is worthy of a pick in the first five rounds.

Edge rusher: Travon Walker, Georgia

I’ve taken some heat for my high ranking of Walker (No. 6 overall on my board), but I’m okay with that because the tape shows a disruptive force who has yet to scratch the surface of what he can be. Now, if he doesn’t show out at the combine, that projection will take a hit because his size, length, and athletic traits are what you are betting on.

Listed at 275 pounds, what weight will Walker be at the Combine? Rashan Gary was 276 pounds at the 2019 combine and tested like a freak: 4.58 40-yard dash, 1.61 10-yard split, 38-inch vertical, 10-foot broad jump, 4.29 short shuttle, 7.26 three-cone. The Packers drafted Gary No. 12 overall that year.

If Walker is closer to 285 pounds, it will be interesting to compare his numbers to those of Cameron Jordan when he was coming out of Cal in 2011. At 287 pounds, Jordan tested above average across the board: 4.76 40-yard dash, 1.71 10-yard split, 31-inch vertical, 9-feet-9 broad jump, 4.37 short shuttle and 7.07 three-cone.

What else to watch: Although his day might start rough when his arm length comes in shorter than most think, Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson will quickly get back on track with his agility drills. According to Feldman’s Freaks List, he posted a 6.54 three-cone, 36-inch vertical, 4.07 short shuttle, and 4.64 40-yard dash. If Hutchinson comes anywhere close to those numbers, it will only cement his status as No. 1 overall on many boards. … Hutchinson’s teammate at Michigan, David Ojabo, should also be a standout tester. Teammates with Odafe Oweh in high school at Blair Academy (N.J.), he would often beat the former Penn State pass rusher in 100-meter races (Oweh ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at this time last year). Ojabo’s best 100-meter time in high school was 10.93, which is unbelievable for his size. … Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux isn’t a universally loved prospect for several reasons, but the combine should be his best friend. Not only will he impress on the field, but every team is going to want face time with him during interviews, which will be a chance for him to sway doubters. …

Purdue’s George Karlaftis has speed and straight-line explosion, which should translate to impressive times in the 40 and jumps. However, the three-cone and short shuttle will be more important to his NFL evaluation as he doesn’t have natural twitch or elite length (I expect his arms to be sub-33 inches). … Minnesota’s Boye Mafe is inconsistent vs. the run, and his pass rush production was only average in college. But he is going to test like a first-round pick and might end up being drafted there too after teams see him work out at Lucas Oil Stadium. … An under-the-radar prospect, UAB’s Alex Wright has intriguing tools with his size, length and athleticism. Already a day two prospect, I’m guessing he will be much more well known after the combine.

Defensive tackle: Devonte Wyatt, Georgia

The top-ranked defensive tackle on my board, Wyatt is quick off the ball and closes like a locomotive ready to come off the tracks. Although the Georgia scheme didn’t consistently allow him to show off his explosive traits, the combine will give Wyatt the stage to flex his athletic muscles.

In high school, Wyatt bounced between tight end, running back and linebacker before he finally outgrew those positions and moved to the defensive line. But he still maintained his athleticism even with the weight gain. At 280 pounds, he threw the discus and shot put on the track team and more than held his own in the 100 meters, even at that size.

What else to watch: Georgia’s Jordan Davis will be 40 pounds heavier than Wyatt, but his 40-yard dash should be similar. Even at 350+ pounds, Davis has rare movement ability and could get under 5.00 seconds in the 40. … The combine will be a huge week for Texas A&M’s DeMarvin Leal. There are plenty of concerns about his anchor and hand power, but he moves with outstanding bend and body control for his size, and his testing numbers should reflect that.

Linebacker: Quay Walker, Georgia

Walker finally broke into the starting lineup as a senior at Georgia and flourished at the “money” linebacker position, which is appropriate considering the money he made this season. He had to pull out of the Senior Bowl because of a rib injury but is expected to be full-go for the combine.

Walker has near-defensive end size at 6-4 and 245 pounds and should run in the low 4.5s in the 40-yard dash. On tape, he moves with impressive lateral twitch and aces the eye test with his exceptional blend of size, length and athleticism. Although he doesn’t have the résumé of a playmaker, Walker has the traits and trajectory that suggest his best football is ahead of him.

What else to watch: Penn State’s Brandon Smith is a better athlete than football player right now. Even though his tape is full of inconsistencies, he should be one of the top performers at the combine. Penn State has a track record of producing athletic specimens. Smith isn’t the level of Micah Parsons (6-3, 246, 4.36 40-yard dash), but his testing might come close at 6-3, 250 pounds with a 40-yard dash in the 4.4s. … Not only is Montana State’s Troy Andersen one of the bigger linebackers (6-3, 245) in Indianapolis, he is also one of the most athletic. He ran a 10.8 100 meters in high school and set the school record with 21 rushing touchdowns in 2018 before moving to defense full-time.

Utah’s Devin Lloyd enters the combine as the favorite to be the first linebacker drafted in April, so it will be important for his workouts to match or exceed expectations. … Another potential first-rounder, Georgia’s Nakobe Dean, won’t be impressive during weigh-ins (will his arms reach 32-inches?), but his speed and jumps will be awesome. … Wisconsin’s Leo Chenal is one of the most unique athletes in this draft class. Not only will he throw up more bench press reps than most linemen at the combine, but he isn’t a slug either and should hold his own in athletic drills.

Cornerback: Kyler Gordon, Washington

Washington is a defensive back factory,  and the NFL will add two more from the Huskies’ secondary in April. Trent McDuffie has a chance to be a top-10 pick and should crush the combine — both the on-field drills and the interviews (I have an article coming later this week on that). Gordon doesn’t have the same instincts or processing skills as McDuffie, which is why he isn’t on the same level as a prospect. But he isn’t far behind and should dominate the athletic portion of the combine.

Before he was starring on the football field, Gordon grew up competing in martial arts and national dance competitions. That athleticism translated to the football field in high school and at Washington and made him a three-time selection for Feldman’s Freaks List. Going into his sophomore year in college, Gordon posted a 3.87 short shuttle (4.17 is the average for an NFL cornerback), 6.52 three-cone (6.92 is the average), and 42.5-inch vertical (38 is the average).

Based on his tape, Gordon is a day two prospect, but cornerback is a stopwatch position. And if he comes anywhere close to the testing numbers he posted in college, Gordon will receive that combine bump into the first-round.

What else to watch: Who will run the fastest 40-yard dash in Indianapolis? My money is on Baylor’s Kalon Barnes, who also sprinted for the Bears in college. Barnes won the state championship in the 100 meters his junior and senior years of high school, blazing a 10.04 in 2018. The only reason it wasn’t considered a national high school record is the wind that day. … UTSA’s Tariq Woolen should also do very well for himself. Zebra Technology clocked him at 22.45 mph during the Senior Bowl, which is the fastest time recorded during the event since they started keeping track five years ago. … One could argue that no prospect has more to gain at the combine than LSU’s Derek Stingley, but we probably won’t see him on the field as he works his way back from a foot injury.

Safety: Daxton Hill, Michigan

The best safety in the draft not named Kyle Hamilton, Hill was basically a slot cornerback for the Wolverines, and his athletic versatility is the key reason why he is a projected first-rounder. Hill plays with the athletic twitch and transitional quickness to interchangeably play slot-man, deep safety or in the box. He was a sprinter in high school, which will boost his chances of producing impressive times in Indianapolis.

What else to watch: Maryland’s Nick Cross is very raw as a football player but very gifted as an athlete. He led his high school track team to a conference title as a senior and also ran indoor track for the Terrapins, clocking bests in the 60 meters (6.93) and 200 meters (22.27). His tape isn’t top-100 quality, but his athletic traits might get him into day two.

Baylor’s JT Woods ran a 10.64 100 meters in high school, and he also ran track in college, reaching a personal-best 10.61. … Jaquan Brisker opted out of Penn State’s bowl game and Senior Bowl, so we haven’t seen him since Thanksgiving weekend. Like most Penn State prospects, he should be a top tester at his position, which will be a nice reminder of his speed and abilities.

Archived