On 3/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, sparky151 said:

If we'd lost more than we gained or had a big deficit in value, we might have gotten a late pick for Ross. But he didn't do anything for the Gents so we didn't get a pick. 

I think the compensatory picks should be based on the values of the contracts given out to your former players, not their production, as the former team shouldn't be punished for how a team may misuse a player or if they are injured (like with Carl Lawson). What if Lawson gets 15 sacks this season, that would mean the Bengals are not compensated because of an injury in his first year, that was not indicative of future performance (for the record I think he will be a bust). I also would not subtract free agency signings from the formula, and think it should only be based on what you lose (not what you gain) - as a reward for you to draft and develop quality players. So basically I think the whole way of doing it sucks.

Teams can qualify for a 7th round pick based on net value lost if there aren't enough regular picks given out. But this year there were, so nobody got a net loss comp pick.

Teams wouldn't want to have to wait another year longer to get a pick based on 2 year performance. 

27 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Is it now safe to say we will either look at the Best Player Available

(besides quarterback) or trade down and take the BPA there

since Collins signed?

we may actually have the luxury of BPA now..

Im still looking at CB.. ( unless they sign Gilmore...another 3Tech or DE...

So I think 31 probably should be a CB if the right guy is there. But my #2 option in the first round is something I haven't really heard anyone talk about... WR.

I am a big believer in making sure your strengths stay strengths and maybe even improve vs. just trying to patch holes. Our starting 3 WRs are all perfect in their roles. But opening up the possibility of having an unstoppable 4 WR set is appealing. So is the idea of being able to give those top guys some snaps off without a huge drop off. 

Plus, you are covered in the case of injury to any of your top 3. You don't have to rush any of them back if they get dinged. And moving forward, with WR prices getting out of control in FA, you're also covered if negotiations with Higgins or Boyd don't pan out on their next extensions.

Last but certainly not least, I like the idea of WR at 31 because there are some really intriguing guys in this class. If Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Treylon Burks, or Chris Olave slides, that is probably your true BPA.

Or maybe you get a potential star at a discount. George Pickens (last spring) and Jameson Williams (last January) are both coming off of ACL tears. Both flashed Pro Bowl type talent at times in college. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

WR ... I am a big believer in making sure your strengths

I agree. I am also ok with drafting a WR in the first or second round if they are BPA.

One possibility is Justyn Ross, Higgins old teammate (who is built like him at 6'4). Rumor is the Steelers love him as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR pick either, in no small part because we both

a) could use an heir apparent to Boyd, who probably doesn't get another contract from us

b) Simmons said a key want for him this offseason is a game-changing returner.  That of course can come from WR, RB, DB so it will partially at least come down to roster layout, but if we got a proven returner who also happens to be a good receiver then great.

Archived