On 3/22/2022 at 11:34 PM, BlackJesus said:

As for Ojabo, since the Bengals have historically shelved their rookies for the first season, and since the roster is already fairly strong, I think the team can definitely afford to take a top talent later that is injured and basically give him a redshirt year. 

He was talked about as going in the top 10, so taking him in the 2nd round would be worth it. 

hell no we did this before, with Cedric and lost whitworth because of it.  you pick the best player with the 1st round pick  , not some hopeful dream beacause we can afford to waste a pick and hope they work out in  a couple of years. 

On 3/25/2022 at 1:16 AM, claptonrocks said:

I'm going to scratch Tyler Lindabaum from my 1st. ( Or actually top pick in rd 2) ).

The arm length is disastrous..

He held up well in college but in the NFL level he's lacking severely..

Helluva competitor  and technician but not in day one..

Too risky..

Im good with "Mad Dog" Karras for a year or two and upgrade elsewhere. .

Saw where Auburn CB Roger McCreary's arms measured out at 28"

9 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

Steinbach had short arms, it's not a deal breaker, especially since picking @ 31 is like picking in the 2nd round any way.

Yes on Steinback..

6'5" 297lbs..31.7 length.

What Steinback did beside measurables was outstanding at combine..

Very good pulling guard..

Makes you think if Linderbaum will be a boom or bust for sure..

With the exploding price of WRs right now, I think WR is in play at pick 31 or 63. Here are some recent rankings from SI ...

2022 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings: Wide Receivers

We’re in a golden age of wide receiver prospects as the class of 2022 should deliver yet another deep collection of talented wideouts to the NFL.

Teams looking to draft wide receiver help in 2022 are in luck, as it’s another deep class. If it’s not the strongest position group, it’s without question one of the strongest.

Over the past decade, the wide receiver position has averaged four first-rounders and 13 top-100 selections per draft class.

While this class may not have a Ja’Marr Chase level prospect at the top to warrant a top-five pick, six wide receivers were selected in the first round of my most recent mock draft. In addition, no position group had more prospects ranked inside my updated top 100 big board than wide receivers (16).

If those numbers held, they would tie decade highs for both first-round wide receivers (six, 2015 and ’20) and top-100 wide receivers (16, ’14 and ’20).

With that said, here are my wide receiver rankings for the 2022 NFL draft:

1. Garrett Wilson, Ohio State (JR, 6'0", 183 pounds)

Wilson has outstanding body control, ball skills and is dynamic after the catch. Quick and elusive, Wilson ran a (slightly) faster-than-expected 40-yard dash (4.38) in Indianapolis. My top-ranked wide receiver prospect, Wilson is a complete receiver that finished 2021 with 70 catches for 1,058 yards and 12 touchdowns.

2. Drake London, USC (JR, 6'4", 219 pounds)

Starting his USC career as a dual-sport athlete with basketball, London knows how to use his large frame and wide catch radius to win at the catch point. Before a broken ankle ended his season in October, London hauled in 88 receptions for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns in just eight games.

3. Jameson Williams, Alabama (JR, 6'2", 179 pounds)

Catching only 15 passes in 10 games over two seasons at Ohio State, Williams had a breakout season (79/1,572/15) in 2021 after transferring to Alabama. While not just a deep threat, Williams’s track background shows up on the field with his game-breaking speed. He tore his ACL during January's College Football Playoff final, but he is apparently “ahead of schedule” in his rehab timeline. Williams has the talent to emerge as the WR1 in this draft class even though he may miss time to start his rookie season.

4. Treylon Burks, Arkansas (JR, 6'2", 225 pounds)

Burks ran a slower-than-expected 40-yard dash (4.55), but he plays faster than that when he reaches top speed. Due to his physicality, run-after-catch prowess and how the Razorbacks varied his alignments, it’s easy to see how his new team could use Burks similarly to how the 49ers used Deebo Samuel last year. Burks finished 2021 with 66 receptions for 1,104 yards, 14 carries for 112 yards and a total of 12 touchdowns.

5. Chris Olave, Ohio State (SR, 6'0", 187 pounds)

Olave creates easy separation as one of the most polished route runners in this year’s draft class. Due to his speed and ability to track the ball well, he can be a weapon in the vertical passing game. He finished his Ohio State career with a school record for receiving touchdowns (35) and averaged 15.4 yards per catch.

6. Jahan Dotson, Penn State (rSR, 5'11", 178 pounds)

Creating separation with his nuanced route-running and quickness, Dotson has outstanding hands and is elusive in the open field even though he won’t break a lot of tackles. Adding value as a punt returner, Dotson finished his final season at Penn State with 91 catches for 1,182 yards and 12 touchdowns.

7. George Pickens, Georgia (JR, 6'3", 195 pounds)

Pickens’s best season came as a highly-touted true freshman when he hauled in 49 receptions for 727 yards and eight touchdowns in 2019. While he missed most of the past season with a torn ACL, the lanky receiver has natural hands and excellent body control.

8. Skyy Moore, Western Michigan (JR, 5'10", 195 pounds)

An option quarterback and defensive back in high school, Moore was recruited to WMU as a cornerback. Converting to receiver based on team needs, Moore led the Broncos in both receptions (51) and yards (802) as a true freshman in 2019. He had a 95/1,292/10 line in ’21 and PFF credited Moore with 26 broken tackles after the catch, which led FBS wide receivers last season. There’s a decent chance that he’s drafted earlier than former teammate and second-round pick Dee Eskridge (56th in ’21).

9. Christian Watson, North Dakota State (rSR, 6'4", 208 pounds)

Following strong performances at the Senior Bowl and combine, Watson has been one of the biggest “winners” during the pre-draft process. Watson has an elite combination of size and speed with a wide catch radius and is elusive for a big receiver. The son of a former NFL safety (Tim Watson) ran the sixth-fastest 40-yard dash (4.36) among wide receivers and led all combine participants in the broad jump (11'4"). A big play waiting to happen, Watson averaged 20.4 yards per reception in his career and returned a pair of kickoffs for scores in 2020.

10. Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama (rSR, 6'1", 194 pounds)

A savvy route runner with natural hands, Tolbert has had back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons for the Jaguars as he led the Sun Belt in receptions (82), yards (1,474) and yards per reception (18.0) in 2021. Tolbert had more than 140 yards in half (six) of his games last season. Among my top 20 wide receivers, Tolbert is the oldest.

11. David Bell, Purdue (JR, 6'1", 212 pounds)

The time wasn’t impressive, but Bell’s slow 40-yard dash (4.65) wasn’t necessarily a surprise either. Bell isn’t a burner, but he uses his size, strength, toughness and hands to win at the catch point. Despite opponents being focused on slowing Bell down, he was highly productive with an average line of 8/101.6/0.7 per game over his three-year Purdue career.

12. John Metchie III, Alabama (JR, 5'11", 187 pounds)

Metchie is neither the biggest nor the fastest receiver in this class. Like his speedier teammate, Metchie is rehabbing from a torn ACL he suffered in the SEC championship game in December. While he lacks elite traits, he has a well-rounded skill set and the versatility to align outside or in the slot. The junior wideout finished the 2021 season with 96 receptions for 1,142 yards and eight touchdowns and was at his most productive down the stretch with a 62/779/6 line over his final seven games.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/23/2022-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-wide-receivers

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

* If WR Treylon Burks somehow slipped to #31 (because of a mediocre 40 time) the Bengals should run to the podium, as I think he's the best receiver of the class. But I think he likely goes top 15 (maybe even top 10 to the Jets). 

Imho Burks is too heavy at 225lbs.

If he'd come in at 215 he may have broke 4.50.

Why didnt he?...

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Im leaning on trading it down..

Im just not seeing that guy Im excited about at that spot..

Others probably dio...

Its a testiment to the Patriots drafting like this for years..

Same.. If we could get a good player trading our 1st round and like 4th round picks which would leave us with our 2nd/3rd round picks I could live with it. Especially if we got more offensive line depth.

Either that or maybe trade our first rounder for a 3rd and 5th round pick. 

29 minutes ago, Gary said:

Same.. If we could get a good player trading our 1st round and like 4th round picks which would leave us with our 2nd/3rd round picks I could live with it. Especially if we got more offensive line depth.

Either that or maybe trade our first rounder for a 3rd and 5th round pick. 

For a 3rd and a late 5th???  Not nearly enough.  😲

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Imho Burks is too heavy at 225lbs.

If he'd come in at 215 he may have broke 4.50.

Why didnt he?...

How much does it matter (https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/the-wide-receivers-who-ran-slow-at-the-nfl-combine-and-still-had-pretty-good-careers)? 

• DeAndre Hopkins: 4.57s in 2013
  • Davante Adams: 4.56s in 2014
  • Mike Evans: 4.53s in 2014
  • Antonio Brown: 4.56s in 2010
  • Demaryius Thomas: 4.52s in 2010
  • Dez Bryant: 4.52s in 2010
  • Cooper Kupp: 4.62s in 2017
  • Allen Robinson: 4.6s in 2014
  • Kenny Golladay: 4.5s in 2017
  • Jarvis Landry: 4.65s in 2014
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster: 4.54s in 2017
  • Diontae Johnson: 4.53s in 2019
  • Tyler Boyd: 4.58s in 2016
  • Courtland Sutton: 4.54s in 2018
  • Michael Pittman: 4.52s in 2020

Just for the sake of comparisons (I think these numbers are correct - Higgins pro-day 40 listed as well)

Name
College
Height (in)
Weight (lbs)
40 Yard
Bench Press
Vert Leap (in)
Broad Jump (in)
Shuttle 3Cone
JaMarr Chase Louisiana State 72.38 201 4.34 ? 41 132 3.99 6.96
Tee Higgins Clemson 75.63 216 4.59/4.43 ? 31 123 4.53 ?
Tyler Boyd Pittsburgh 73.5 197 4.58 11 34 119 4.35 6.9
Treylon Burks Arkansas 73.88 224 4.55 12 33 122 4.4 7.28

At his size, that's still a great speed for Burks.  The most concerning part of his testing scores are the shuttle and 3cone times.  I think in this particular case, you have to look at what he did on the field and see if that fits the offense.

I think we need 3 good / great receivers on the field all the time.  I think that's what all of these NFL teams are trying to replicate in this off-season.  You have to assume some injuries are going to happen and we got lucky last year where it was the #4 receiver that was injured.  Plus we're going to need to keep the pipeline full of receivers over the next 5-10 years.  It's a bit of a rich man's problem, but I'd be happy with it if the rest of the NFL wanted to sleep on Burks and the Bengals grabbed him at 31.

.... I don't think it's happening though.

3 minutes ago, BBR said:

How much does it matter (https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/the-wide-receivers-who-ran-slow-at-the-nfl-combine-and-still-had-pretty-good-careers)? 

• DeAndre Hopkins: 4.57s in 2013
  • Davante Adams: 4.56s in 2014
  • Mike Evans: 4.53s in 2014
  • Antonio Brown: 4.56s in 2010
  • Demaryius Thomas: 4.52s in 2010
  • Dez Bryant: 4.52s in 2010
  • Cooper Kupp: 4.62s in 2017
  • Allen Robinson: 4.6s in 2014
  • Kenny Golladay: 4.5s in 2017
  • Jarvis Landry: 4.65s in 2014
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster: 4.54s in 2017
  • Diontae Johnson: 4.53s in 2019
  • Tyler Boyd: 4.58s in 2016
  • Courtland Sutton: 4.54s in 2018
  • Michael Pittman: 4.52s in 2020

Just for the sake of comparisons (I think these numbers are correct - Higgins pro-day 40 listec as well)

Name
College
Height (in)
Weight (lbs)
40 Yard
Bench Press
Vert Leap (in)
Broad Jump (in)
Shuttle 3Cone
JaMarr Chase Louisiana State 72.38 201 4.34 ? 41 132 3.99 6.96
Tee Higgins Clemson 75.63 216 4.59/4.43 ? 31 123 4.53 ?
Tyler Boyd Pittsburgh 73.5 197 4.58 11 34 119 4.35 6.9
Treylon Burks Arkansas 73.88 224 4.55 12 33 122 4.4 7.28

At his size, that's still a great speed for Burks.  The most concerning part of his testing scores are the shuttle and 3cone times.  I think in this particular case, you have to look at what he did on the field and see if that fits the offense.

I think we need 3 good / great receivers on the field all the time.  I think that's what all of these NFL teams are trying to replicate in this off-season.  You have to assume some injuries are going to happen and we got lucky last year where it was the #4 receiver that was injured.  Plus we're going to need to keep the pipeline full of receivers over the next 5-10 years.  It's a bit of a rich man's problem, but I'd be happy with it if the rest of the NFL wanted to sleep on Burks and the Bengals grabbed him at 31.

.... I don't think it's happening though.

Good points..

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Dave Rimington's arms were not only short but muscle bound.

Remember all those awkward snaps to Boomer when short

muscle bound arms hit short muscle bound thighs?

I think he had a muscle bound brain, too.

Thank heavens Boomer was adept at catching the bobbles.

Was around the same height/weight as Linderbaum. Outland/Lombardi winner. Had a good 7-year career. Anchored what IMO was the greatest Bengals offense up to now: the 1986 version.

He was, admittedly, a little difficult to watch on those shotguns. Norman wasn’t in the Sugar formation as much then though, having equally “stout” Kinnebrew running behind him, and the great line in front. 

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Was around the same height/weight as Linderbaum. Outland/Lombardi winner. Had a good 7-year career. Anchored what IMO was the greatest Bengals offense up to now: the 1986 version.

He was, admittedly, a little difficult to watch on those shotguns. Norman wasn’t in the Sugar formation as much then though, having equally “stout” Kinnebrew running behind him, and the great line in front. 

I remember Rimington ss a disappointment based on a 1st rounder..

Bengals fault not his .

He was an animal in the weightroom

maybe too much so..

Made him stiff and awkward..

20" neck...57" chest and 20" biceps..

He also missed alot of games .

Give me Rich Braham all day long..

Archived