51 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I remember Rimington ss a disappointment based on a 1st rounder..

Bengals fault not his .

He was an animal in the weightroom

maybe too much so..

Made him stiff and awkward..

20" neck...57" chest and 20" biceps..

He also missed alot of games .

Give me Rich Braham all day long..

Yeah, the Bengals have had great success, for the most part, turning guards into centers. 

Richie

Darrick Brilz

Kozerski

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

BBR posted about it ..

He was right...and I wasn't..

I saw that too

sorry -I wasn't trying to be combative.

I had never even paid attention to this guy before - honestly didn't know who he was but I was impressed by his speed given his size.

It's entirely possible that he's just not a great track athlete but still a great football player.  Ran across an article / interview of him and it sounds like he just wasn't as well prepared for the NFL combine as some of these other guys.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/treylon-burks-pleased-with-pro-day-performance/

"For most NFL Draft hopefuls they are used to such event as a combine,” Burks said. However, Burks never went to any camps or combines when he was a recruit at Warren.

“That’s my first time going to any type of camp, combine, just really doing anything like that. It was a really good time.”

He didn't even try to improve on his 40 time at his pro-day.  Sounds like he's over it and willing to let his play on the field do the talking.  After seeing guys like John Ross not amount to much more than a fantastic 40 time, I can respect that line of thinking.

I agree - I said earlier on that I don't believe it would happen.  Most likely picks are secondary, d-line, o-line.  Should be plenty of options in those 3 areas that a receiver won't be the pick.  This is especially true now that they seem to have cooled off on FA signings to cover any deficiencies until after they see what they can grab in the draft.

1 hour ago, BBR said:

I agree - I said earlier on that I don't believe it would happen.  Most likely picks are secondary, d-line, o-line.  Should be plenty of options in those 3 areas that a receiver won't be the pick.  This is especially true now that they seem to have cooled off on FA signings to cover any deficiencies until after they see what they can grab in the draft.

agreed

honestly, I'm pretty content with our offense after free agency - sure there's always somebody out there you'd love to sign - BUT

If you've read any of my posts, I believe our defense was as big a reason (if not more so) than our offense in the post season run.

We need to make sure we're at least as strong on D as last year - if not better.

We should be since Ogujobi is the only main player we lost (as of now - who knows?)

Having said all that - I'm looking for a good cornerback and another pass rusher

6 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

agreed

honestly, I'm pretty content with our offense after free agency - sure there's always somebody out there you'd love to sign - BUT

If you've read any of my posts, I believe our defense was as big a reason (if not more so) than our offense in the post season run.

We need to make sure we're at least as strong on D as last year - if not better.

We should be since Ogujobi is the only main player we lost (as of now - who knows?)

Having said all that - I'm looking for a good cornerback and another pass rusher

Good points..

Yes a corner or pass rusher would be ideal..

Hopefully they'll be some good prospects to choose from..

Would anyone take a flyer on David Bell in the 3rd round or later?  He was a super productive WR at Purdue, but doesn't have the speed.  Could be a Jarvis Landry/Tyler Boyd type of player if Boyd becomes too expensive in a few years.

image.thumb.png.5b57ec91a76b3684b73c4b4b612c7346.png

image.thumb.png.d2cf6a168750653321995e18c87154a7.png

image.thumb.png.4b39cf4331cb226610b971f249630456.png

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Would anyone take a flyer on David Bell in the 3rd round or later?  He was a super productive WR at Purdue, but doesn't have the speed.  Could be a Jarvis Landry/Tyler Boyd type of player if Boyd becomes too expensive in a few years.

image.thumb.png.5b57ec91a76b3684b73c4b4b612c7346.png

image.thumb.png.d2cf6a168750653321995e18c87154a7.png

image.thumb.png.4b39cf4331cb226610b971f249630456.png

Sounds like Auden Tate 2.0.  Pass.

24 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

PFF will give anyone a crap mock drfat grade becuase they have not updated the "team needs', thye still have us as OL

Until the Bengals slot a starting LG 

PFF will determine a need there..

At this point there is a need .

More on TE Trey McBride, since the Bengals were interested enough to attend his Pro Day ...

Trey McBride
COLLEGE
Colorado State

CLASS
Fort Morgan, CO

Senior
6' 4"
246 lbs
Arms - 32 1/2"
HANDS - 10 1/8"

McBride excelled in three sports at Fort Morgan High School, earning All-Colorado honors in football, setting the school record for points scored in basketball as well as most home runs and runs batted in for the baseball squad. His decision to stay near home for college paid off his true freshman year, as he started five of 12 games played (7-89-12.7, one TD). McBride was a first-team All-Mountain West Conference pick as a sophomore (45-560-12.4, four TDs in 12 games, 11 starts) and a second-team selection the following season (team-high 22-330-14.0, four TDs in four starts). He considered transferring before the Mountain West decided to play a shortened fall season due to COVID-19 concerns. Rams fans were happy McBride stayed for 2020 and 2021, when he won the John Mackey Award as the nation's best tight end. The first-team Associated Press All-American and all-league selection ranked ninth in the country with 90 receptions and led the team with 1,121 receiving yards (setting school career records in both categories) despite scoring only once through the air. On the final play of his collegiate career, he ran a fake punt 69 yards for a score against Nevada. -- by Chad Reuter
NFL Comparison
Austin Hooper
Overview
Two-way tight end with the size, strength and ball skills to help impact games in-line and in space. McBride has room for improvement at the point of attack, but possesses the thickness and determination of a true, in-line blocker. He'll need to improve his angles and play strength to even out the wins and losses against NFL competition. McBride lacks top-end speed and quickness into the route, but he can snap off route breaks and has the body control and sticky hands to win contested catch battles. Long athletes could suffocate his catch space if he doesn't play with more physicality and aggression during the route. McBride is solid in all phases and should appeal to every team looking for a combination tight end with early starting potential.
Strengths
  • Excellent weight distribution and thickness in his frame.
  • Takes pride in blocking and puts in the effort.
  • Blocks with adequate play strength and proper base width.
  • Capable of helping in pass protection.
  • Adequate footwork to get in and out of short routes.
  • Decent separation snap at the top of the route.
  • Squares to in-breaking throws and able to pluck throws behind him.
  • Intensifies focus in traffic.
  • Hands are big, efficient and sticky.
  • Hand strength to finish catches through heavy contact.
  • Athletic run-after-catch talent.
Weaknesses
  • Ducks head into contact as run blocker.
  • Needs to keep working feet for positioning after contact.
  • Inexperienced as an outside zone blocker.
  • Takes inconsistent angles in attempting to secure the lane.
  • Only one touchdown on 90 total catches in 2021.
  • Below-average early speed to threaten Y seam.
  • Needs better physicality inside his route.
  • Has tendency to slow feet through ball-tracking downfield.
  • Allows too much trespass into his catch space.
  • Slightly below-average catch radius.
Sources Tell Us

"Good hybrid Y/U tight end. I think he's a really good TE2 and a TE1 for some teams." -- Personnel director for NFC team

Bengals showing big interest in 2022 NFL draft TEs

USATSI_17818507.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

With C.J. Uzomah out and Hayden Hurst in, the Cincinnati Bengals have some stability at the tight end position. But that hasn’t stopped them from potentially dipping into the position pool during next month’s draft.

The Bengals have been linked to two players at the position, including arguably the No. 1 tight end in the class.

The Bengals are among the teams that have consistently looked into Colorado State TE Trey McBride, along with the Titans, Buccaneers, Giants, Jets and Bills, according to Justin Melo of The Draft Network.

It’s easy to see why McBride has been widely considered TE1 in this draft. The 6’4″, 246-pounder won the John Mackey Award as the best tight end in the nation after catching 90 passes for 1,121 yards and a touchdown in 2021 for the Rams. He also added a 69-yard rushing touchdown.

Colorado State shared the moment McBride learned from his mom that he won the John Mackey Award.

McBride was a force in Mobile during Senior Bowl week and also caught a touchdown pass from Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder to help lead the National Team to a 20-10 victory during the Senior Bowl game.

Should McBride land with the Bengals, that would just be yet another quality weapon for one Joe Burrow.

Melo also notes the Bengals are among the teams that have shown plenty of interest in SMU TE Grant Calcaterra, along with the Broncos, Titans, Colts and Cowboys.

Calcaterra (6’1″, 241 pounds) returned to football in 2021 after medically retiring after the 2019 season while at Oklahoma due to concussion issues. He worked as an EMT in August of 2020 before getting the spark again to play football.

The big question obviously is his health and how confident teams are in that, but he did start all 12 games for SMU in 2021, catching 38 passes for 465 yards and four touchdowns. He’ll likely be a late day three pick, if he gets selected at all.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/29/bengals-nfl-draft-interest-trey-mcbride-grant-calcaterra/

I've been under the impression that Wyatt was simply a NT.  If he can play the 3Tech effectively and neither Booth nor Elam is there, I'd love to see them take Wyatt.  I think McBride would be an excellent fit with Hurst & Sample in the TE room, but I'd probably want to trade down a few spots for an extra pick or two (like the one that netted Carman, Shelvin and Smith) before pulling the trigger.  Still think they could trade out of the pick and land a veteran starter at a position of need that would be better than any prospect likely to be there at 31 (maybe a team that doesn't have a #1 and would like to get back in).  The likelihood the Bengals would do this though, while still non-zero, is probably pretty damn closer.

15 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Bengals showing big interest in 2022 NFL draft TEs

USATSI_17818507.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
March 29, 2022 9:03 pm ET

With C.J. Uzomah out and Hayden Hurst in, the Cincinnati Bengals have some stability at the tight end position. But that hasn’t stopped them from potentially dipping into the position pool during next month’s draft.

The Bengals have been linked to two players at the position, including arguably the No. 1 tight end in the class.

The Bengals are among the teams that have consistently looked into Colorado State TE Trey McBride, along with the Titans, Buccaneers, Giants, Jets and Bills, according to Justin Melo of The Draft Network.

It’s easy to see why McBride has been widely considered TE1 in this draft. The 6’4″, 246-pounder won the John Mackey Award as the best tight end in the nation after catching 90 passes for 1,121 yards and a touchdown in 2021 for the Rams. He also added a 69-yard rushing touchdown.

Colorado State shared the moment McBride learned from his mom that he won the John Mackey Award.

McBride was a force in Mobile during Senior Bowl week and also caught a touchdown pass from Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder to help lead the National Team to a 20-10 victory during the Senior Bowl game.

Should McBride land with the Bengals, that would just be yet another quality weapon for one Joe Burrow.

Melo also notes the Bengals are among the teams that have shown plenty of interest in SMU TE Grant Calcaterra, along with the Broncos, Titans, Colts and Cowboys.

Calcaterra (6’1″, 241 pounds) returned to football in 2021 after medically retiring after the 2019 season while at Oklahoma due to concussion issues. He worked as an EMT in August of 2020 before getting the spark again to play football.

The big question obviously is his health and how confident teams are in that, but he did start all 12 games for SMU in 2021, catching 38 passes for 465 yards and four touchdowns. He’ll likely be a late day three pick, if he gets selected at all.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/29/bengals-nfl-draft-interest-trey-mcbride-grant-calcaterra/

McBride is an excellent prospect and would be an excellent fit, but IMO, there are a number of TE targets between rounds 2-6 that would work as a #3.  Address bigger needs early and look to a more dynamic option in next year's draft or the year after.

42 minutes ago, snarkster said:

McBride is an excellent prospect and would be an excellent fit, but IMO, there are a number of TE targets between rounds 2-6 that would work as a #3.  Address bigger needs early and look to a more dynamic option in next year's draft or the year after.

Sounds like he will be gone by 31.

49 minutes ago, snarkster said:

I've been under the impression that Wyatt was simply a NT.  If he can play the 3Tech effectively and neither Booth nor Elam is there, I'd love to see them take Wyatt.  I think McBride would be an excellent fit with Hurst & Sample in the TE room, but I'd probably want to trade down a few spots for an extra pick or two (like the one that netted Carman, Shelvin and Smith) before pulling the trigger.  Still think they could trade out of the pick and land a veteran starter at a position of need that would be better than any prospect likely to be there at 31 (maybe a team that doesn't have a #1 and would like to get back in).  The likelihood the Bengals would do this though, while still non-zero, is probably pretty damn closer.

Wyatt would be an A grade pick imo.

Bengals get their 3tech ..

Id draft Booth before and Elam after Wyatt..

Depending on any more FA pickups McBride would fit nicely..  

56 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Jordan Davis was Georgia's NT last year. Wyatt played beside him as a disruptor while Davis was the immovable anchor. 

full disclosure - I have paid zero attention to the draft prospects this year

having said that.....unless McBride is a clear upgrade from Hurst, I vote no at 31.

it depends on how the draft falls - I get it - but we are in a unique position here

Need to UPGRADE where we can - or - plug in replacements for short timers

You could say McBride would be the next gen at TE and I guess that makes sense but I think our only holes are on the defensive front and back 4.

Anyway...should be fun (like everything seems to be lately with this team!)

Kinda like opening your birthday gifts 🤩

53 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Wyatt would be an A grade pick imo.

Bengals get their 3tech ..

Id draft Booth before and Elam after Wyatt..

Depending on any more FA pickups McBride would fit nicely..  

Wyatt would be a great pick but I’d be pretty surprised if he doesn’t end up in the top 22 or so by the time it rolls around. He’s a pretty spectacular athlete at 300+ lbs and guys like that don’t usually last too long unless there are red flags. He seems like a pretty clean prospect to me though. 

I know they’re linked to McBride but they won’t take him at 31, IMO. That’s just a little too rich.

There are quite a few good TE’s in this draft that are all pretty closely graded. Jelani Woods is the guy I really like but only if he’s there at 63. I’d take McBride there as well. 

39 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Wyatt would be a great pick but I’d be pretty surprised if he doesn’t end up in the top 22 or so by the time it rolls around. He’s a pretty spectacular athlete at 300+ lbs and guys like that don’t usually last too long unless there are red flags. He seems like a pretty clean prospect to me though. 

I know they’re linked to McBride but they won’t take him at 31, IMO. That’s just a little too rich.

There are quite a few good TE’s in this draft that are all pretty closely graded. Jelani Woods is the guy I really like but only if he’s there at 63. I’d take McBride there as well. 

I think your right and I hope your wrong on Wyatt there at 31..

Archived