5 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

If there isn't a corner available at #31, I think we need to go with Travis Jones from UConn.  It sounds like he'll be a great run-stopper on day 1 and looking at his 3-cone numbers, could develop into an above average pass rusher.  He won't be Geno or Aaron Donald, but  not many are. There are plenty of teams in the AFC who have great running games that we'll need to go through.  I'm thinking about the Browns, Titans and Colts specifically.  We've struggled stopping the Browns running game and if we want to win the division that will be key, even with Watson there now as the QB.  I know it's a passing league now, but stopping the run will always be a key to staying in games.  He'll be great next to Reader on early downs and will be solid collapsing the pocket with his strength.

image.thumb.png.39082fb2a8ac36048476ae8a289d9587.png

image.thumb.png.e1a9207706b33631ec25467ef5a73520.png

image.thumb.png.c84b2473157025d8b3f5e521a611523a.png

Strictly a NT..

We have Reader..Tupou..Shelvin..

Stacked there..

3tech..Hill..then nothing...

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Strictly a NT..

We have Reader..Tupou..Shelvin..

Stacked there..

3tech..Hill..then nothing...

I get it, we need a 3T and I agree 100%.  I don't think T. Jones is strictly a nose.  Watching his tape (YouTube videos), he's able to beat his man with strength AND quickness.  I know a lot of the writeups are saying he's strictly a nose, but I disagree.  His floor is a plus run-stopper.  Pair him with Reader and no one runs on us...not even the Browns.  If he continues to develop as a pass rusher, he can be a 5 to 6 sack per year guy.  I don't think he'll ever be a dominate pass rusher, but he can be average there.  I think he's a safer pick than these other guys b/c his floor is pretty high.  Pair him with Reader sometimes, have him spell Reader, goalline, short yardage, in due to injury...there's a path for him to play a lot of snaps this year and beyond.  I'd prefer a corner (I really hope Booth or Stingley (wishfully) fall), but our D-line needs help too.  Tupou is always hurt, Shelvin hasn't proved a thing so I don't know why you think we're stacked there.  We have bodies, but we're far from stacked.

2 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I get it, we need a 3T and I agree 100%.  I don't think T. Jones is strictly a nose.  Watching his tape (YouTube videos), he's able to beat his man with strength AND quickness.  I know a lot of the writeups are saying he's strictly a nose, but I disagree.  His floor is a plus run-stopper.  Pair him with Reader and no one runs on us...not even the Browns.  If he continues to develop as a pass rusher, he can be a 5 to 6 sack per year guy.  I don't think he'll ever be a dominate pass rusher, but he can be average there.  I think he's a safer pick than these other guys b/c his floor is pretty high.  Pair him with Reader sometimes, have him spell Reader, goalline, short yardage, in due to injury...there's a path for him to play a lot of snaps this year and beyond.  I'd prefer a corner (I really hope Booth or Stingley (wishfully) fall), but our D-line needs help too.  Tupou is always hurt, Shelvin hasn't proved a thing so I don't know why you think we're stacked there.  We have bodies, but we're far from stacked.

Lets agree to disagree on his value as a 3tech...

Different opinions are cool..😎

8 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

If there isn't a corner available at #31, I think we need to go with Travis Jones from UConn.  It sounds like he'll be a great run-stopper on day 1 and looking at his 3-cone numbers, could develop into an above average pass rusher.  He won't be Geno or Aaron Donald, but  not many are. There are plenty of teams in the AFC who have great running games that we'll need to go through.  I'm thinking about the Browns, Titans and Colts specifically.  We've struggled stopping the Browns running game and if we want to win the division that will be key, even with Watson there now as the QB.  I know it's a passing league now, but stopping the run will always be a key to staying in games.  He'll be great next to Reader on early downs and will be solid collapsing the pocket with his strength.

image.thumb.png.39082fb2a8ac36048476ae8a289d9587.png

image.thumb.png.e1a9207706b33631ec25467ef5a73520.png

image.thumb.png.c84b2473157025d8b3f5e521a611523a.png

My order of preference is 

Booth, Elam.... Daxton Hill (Safety out of Michigan) then this guy..... Jones isnt a 3 tech but he would still be the BPA if the rest of them are gone.

Now if Linderbaum is there I do that, but I'm not sure he will be there.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

…His [Travis Jones’] floor is a plus run-stopper.  Pair him with Reader and no one runs on us...not even the Browns.   .

I don’t really know anything about him, but in an earlier post, this was some expert’s list for him:

CD5E410E-7E77-4F41-A4CE-6A361BD1C0DD.jpeg.0eb1bb47c697f2890bbd01ab970d0670.jpeg

I’m not getting a “no one runs on us” vibe.   :shrug:  

On 4/3/2022 at 3:52 PM, claptonrocks said:

Frelund is a smart cookie.

Green has huge upside.

Still rather have Booth or West but any of them is an improvement for the team.

You spelled "hot" wrong.

:lol: 

11 hours ago, Cricket said:

I don’t really know anything about him, but in an earlier post, this was some expert’s list for him:

CD5E410E-7E77-4F41-A4CE-6A361BD1C0DD.jpeg.0eb1bb47c697f2890bbd01ab970d0670.jpeg

I’m not getting a “no one runs on us” vibe.   :shrug:  

The "experts" know more than I do, but these same experts get things wrong every year...it's a crap shoot.  Bengals experts thought Drew Sample was worth a 2nd round pick when most of us thought he would go 5th round or later.  Experts thought Ryan Leaf would be a good QB.  Experts thought Levi Jones was a reach (I did too honestly).  I'm just saying that when my untrained eyes watch Travis Jones, I think he can be an average pass rusher and a dominate run stopper.  If we draft a 3T and he can't pass rush we're SOL.  If we draft Jones and he can't pass rush, there's a pretty good chance he can still be one of the better run-stuffing DL in the league in a few years.  When Reader's contract comes up you've got some flexibility and until then you can have a potentially dominate duo on the inside on 1st and 2nd down...that's my worst case scenario.  There's always a chance he just sucks, or isn't as good as I thing he'll be, but those are the risks. Then, if he does develop a little on the pass rushing side, we've got a perennial pro bowler.

2022 NFL Draft: Mid-round names to watch from every Power 5 conference

2022 NFL Draft: Mid-round names to watch from every Power 5 conference

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - JANUARY 10:  James Cook #4 of the Georgia Bulldogs against the Alabama Crimson Tide  at Lucas Oil Stadium on January 10, 2022 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
By Nick Baumgardner 1h agocomment-icon.png 2 save-icon.png

The NFL offseason has been complete chaos. And if you’re tired, find caffeine. The draft is less than a month away.

With so much movement around the league and much of the focus (rightly so) on what teams are going to do atop their respective boards in round one, a number of players have had interesting winter/spring evaluations sessions via the Senior Bowl, combine and various pro day events (with more on the way).

For now, though, let’s take a spin through five possible mid-round names to know from college football’s power five conferences. These are not likely to be first-round picks. Some could be viewed as second-round options. Others are more likely planted somewhere in the middle of the draft, where, as we all know, gold is so often mined.

Let’s take a look.

Big Ten

David Bell: WR, Purdue (6-0, 212)

Bell’s athletic testing numbers range from average to poor. But his football traits are so good. From spatial awareness to route discipline to finding ways to adjust and control his body no matter where the ball is thrown – all of it was top-notch at Purdue. Bell is a professional wide receiver in terms of technique and IQ right now. Athletically, you’re going to give up some stuff. His agility is poor and his burst isn’t overly impressive, but Bell’s combination of football IQ, body control and powerful lower half make him interesting.

Leo Chenal: LB, Wisconsin (6-2, 250)

It’s hard to say if Chenal will actually be a mid-round value … because it’s possible he doesn’t last that long. Still, Chenal is a freaky athlete at 250 pounds (4.53 40; 40 ½ inch vert, 34 bench reps) and his testing numbers are hard to ignore. In terms of downhill run defense, no one stacks a block like Chenal. His power, burst and fearlessness in the box see him regularly knocking 300-plus pound guards and tackles off track with one punch. When he plants himself with leverage, he may as well be a tree – you’re not moving him. In the stack, he can do a lot. But if you’re asking him to cover anything? That’s where the adventure begins and why he could slip.

Jake Ferguson: TE, Wisconsin (6-4, 250)

Not afraid of contact and fundamentally sound as a blocker, Ferguson has some TE2 and H-Back qualities that could be intriguing at the next level. He found ways to get open in space against Big Ten linebackers, was tough to bring down at times in the screen game and held his own up front. A solid athlete. Not overwhelmingly great in one area, but not really poor in any one area either. Looked like he held his own in most physical tests during Senior Bowl week.

Connor Heyward: FB/HB/TE, Michigan State (5-11, 233)

Son of the late Craig “Ironhead” Heyward and brother of Pittsburgh Steeler Cameron, Connor Heyward started his college career as a big running back at Michigan State before fully embracing a position change under Mel Tucker. Heyward’s potential as a fullback/H-back is still unknown, as 2021 was his first year as a full-time tight end in college. He blocks with natural leverage, he’s still adding power, and his agility in short spaces could make him a tough cover for linebackers. He’s a very quick study and showed it again during the Senior Bowl.

Cam Jurgens: C, Nebraska (6-2, 303)

One of the most athletic linemen in the class, Jurgens (a former prep TE) still has some work to do in the power department. But few college centers move as well as he does. Nebraska pulled Jurgens on gap runs, and his lateral movement as a pass protector is impressive. He covers a scary amount of ground in the screen game and can be a weapon in the right system. Finishing is still something Jurgens can be wobbly with, as it doesn’t matter how fast you climb to the second level if you can’t engage for very long. Jurgens is likely a center only. But a mid-round investment worth monitoring.

SEC

Phidarian Mathis: DL, Alabama (6-4, 310)

Not out of the realm of possibility for Mathis to be gone by the close of round two. But he could also linger. He’s not on the same full-scale athletic floor as the first-round DTs in this class, but that doesn’t mean he’s easy to block. Mathis doesn’t make many mistakes with his hands/punch, his pad level is almost always ideal, and he finds a way to fight through blocks. He’s an Alabama defensive lineman, which means he understands run defense. Bama wasn’t afraid to two-gap him, and NFL teams won’t be either.

James Cook: RB, Georgia (5-11, 199)

Cook’s gas pedal works really well in that he doesn’t need much room to find top speed. And as long as he’s limiting his cuts, he doesn’t lose much of that speed upon change of direction. Some Felix Jones vibes. The thing that makes him unique is his natural WR ability. Georgia had no problem lining Cook (Vikings running back Dalvin Cook’s younger brother) wide and letting him run by linebackers or slower safeties. He has terrific ball tracking skills. Could be a real weapon with the right plan.

Dameon Pierce: RB, Florida (5-9, 218)

A muscular boulder who can really, really cut. His power and ability to run through the first tackler stands out plenty, but Pierce’s cuts can be tough on box defenders. Not a lot of tread on the tires (329 carries in four seasons) and one of (perhaps No. 1) the best pass-blocking backs in this class, something that stood out plenty at the Senior Bowl. He’s more a backfield piece than a pillar, but if a team has a standout and wants a sturdy second option, Pierce is a good one.

Channing Tindall: LB, Georgia (6-1, 230)

All gas and explosion. Tindall can be a downhill thumper with the ability to run through blocks, and he’s fast enough to run with backs to the edge (4.47 40, 1.52 10-yard split). Georgia was beyond loaded, so don’t be fooled by his counting stats (67 total tackles in 2021). There are coverage limitations, but he’s terrific in the box.

Neil Farrell Jr.: DL, LSU (6-4, 330)

Like Tindall and Pierce, Farrell had some really quality stretches at the Senior Bowl (most SEC players did, to no surprise). He’s a space eater with an outstanding punch. He’s a destructive nose tackle. Probably not a two-gapper, and there are limitations athletically. But he consistently pushed the pocket as a fifth-year senior in 2021.

Pac-12

Abraham Lucas: OT, Washington State (6-6, 315) 
Air Raid tackle, but he played with his head on a swivel and was great in pass protection at Washington State. A right tackle in college who will have to prove he can hang as a run blocker in an NFL offense, Lucas is a very agile pass protector who is tough to beat with any type of speed move. His body type, bend and athletic traits project to a quality run blocker. But proof is still needed.

GettyImages-1235040422-1024x683.jpg

Arizona State OT Kellen Diesch. (Photo by Kevin Abele/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Kellen Diesch: OT, Arizona State (6-7, 301)
Start with the good: His feet are great, his very hard to get around, and he’s an outstanding athlete. The not-so-good: He’s very skinny, his arms are short (32 ¼) and he feels like a guy who is constantly going to be in search of more power. Those are the reasons he’ll slip. But he won’t last forever in the mid-rounds because he runs a 4.89 40 with a 32 ½-inch vert and a 4.33-second shuttle time. He can really, really move.

Verone McKinley III: FS, Oregon (5-10, 198)
Not an overwhelming athlete. Ran a 4.65 40 at the combine and measured in at 5-10. But as far as free safeties with great eyes go, McKinley’s tough to beat. Good college defensive backs collect PBUs. Really good ones make interceptions. McKinley was constantly around the ball at Oregon, and he knows how to finish: 11 interceptions in two seasons, plus a COVID year. A day three athlete, but his IQ keeps him interesting.

Kyler Gordon: CB, Washington (5-11, 194)
Can have hiccups in coverage, but can also look like he’s on a jet ski whilst closing on receivers. Gordon has terrific short area speed and can cover a lot of ground quickly. Flips his hips like a safety. Could wear multiple hats in the league and has room to grow. Is he a corner or a safety? It’ll be worth someone’s time to find out.

Otito Ogbonnia: DT, UCLA (6-3, 324)
The UCLA defensive tackle plays with good leverage and can be a load to handle. Ogbonnia had some nice moments at the Senior Bowl both in team and 1-on-1 drills. NFL teams probably won’t get a ton of pass rush here, but he can absolutely be a disciplined space eater.

Big 12

Malcolm Rodriguez: LB, Oklahoma State (5-11, 232)
Size is an issue, as he’s barely 5-11 and was about 205 pounds three years ago. But he’s got good instincts vs. the run in the box, and he has enough speed (4.52 40) and burst to finish tackles against ball carriers in space. A former safety, he’s agile in coverage and understands that piece of the game. If you can get around the size, he’s a very interesting stack linebacker with 399 tackles over the last four years (131 in 2021).

Marquis Hayes: OG, Oklahoma (6-4, 318) 
Hayes is a guard, but his arm length (34 ⅞) would be good for a tackle. He’s really tough in his square, hard to move. Arm length plus solid agility also makes him tough to get around in pass protection. He’s not a terrific athlete, and he could struggle with linebackers in space, but there is a lot to like here.

JT Woods: S, Baylor (6-2, 195)
Tremendous athlete. Fast to a point where he needs, at times, to slow down. Woods ran a 4.36 with a 39 ⅕-inch vertical jump at the combine. He’s big, rangy and can cover a ton of ground. When he’s under control, he’s quite a prospect. Once he evens out, he could be a find.

Tyquan Thornton: WR, Baylor (6-2, 181)
He runs a 4.28 with a 1.41 split. There’s speed, and then there’s what Thornton has: all gas. Good production, too, with 62 catches in ‘21 and 45 in 2019, prior to the pandemic. He has to get stronger, though. Very thin and not much power. A physical NFL defensive back is going to knock him around until he can fill out. But if said DB is at all on the slow side, Thornton might just run by him.

Charlie Kolar: TE, Iowa State (6-6, 252)
Outstanding athlete with 4.6 speed and great burst. Ideal frame and insanely productive (168 catches, 23 TDs) at Iowa State. Can he be an inline tight end in the NFL from a blocking standpoint? Play strength is a question mark. But he checks many other boxes.

ACC

Zach Tom: OL, Wake Forest (6-4, 304)

Recruited as a guard, played center early in his career and finished as a first-team All-ACC left tackle. He’s light and probably only a tackle in the NFL in a need-only situation, but he has the potential to play all three interior positions with 33 ¼ inch arms and elite agility. Tom ran a 7.32-second 3-cone. Covers a lot of ground and plays with great leverage as a run blocker.

Jelani Woods: TE, Virginia (6-7, 253)

One of the freakiest players in the draft. Woods’ 4.61-second 40 and 10-foot, nine-inch broad jump were impressive enough at his size. But a 6.91-second 3-cone time? Pretty, pretty good. As an athlete, there are no holes to what Woods can offer. He has power, burst, agility and speed. It doesn’t always show up together at once in his routes, though. And while he’s got everything he needs to be a terrific run blocker at the next level, consistency remains a question. He’s not going to linger long, though.

Lecitus Smith: OG, Virginia Tech (6-3, 314)

There are power concerns here, and Smith doesn’t show much explosiveness. But at 314 pounds, he moves with relatively quick feet, always maintains great leverage and can be really effective in most zone schemes. Smith won’t be a great fit for every team, but in the right system, he could be a nice find.

Mario Goodrich: CB, Clemson (6-0, 176)

Really skinny, but don’t let that fool you because he’s not afraid of contact. Goodrich showed a willingness to take on blocks and play physical on the edge at Clemson. His coverage work in 2021 was the best of his college career. Per PFF, opposing QBs had a passer rating of 49 on targets vs. Goodrich last season. There are athletic limitations, as Goodrich is not a burner and generally only a solid athlete. But he’s a well-coached player who fights through the whistle.

Bubba Bolden: S, Miami (6-2, 209)

Terrific athlete. He was a top 60 recruit nationally who signed to USC before transferring to Miami early in his career. A productive free safety for the Hurricanes who can cover a lot of ground and cloud zone windows with his wingspan. But you’re often left wanting more. Athletic enough to be a box safety. Fast enough to be a deep safety. Needs it to click, though.

53 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The Linderbaum as a Bengal photoshops have begun appearing on social media ... an omen?

zz-cc

... If he's there at #31 (20% chance) I can't see the Bengals passing on him.

gotta say, after watching the "locked on Bengals" podcast, I feel a whole lot better about picking him.

8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Who are the legit options at 31?

OL

Linderbaum

Zion

Kenyon Green

DT

Devonte Wyatt

Travis Jones

CB

Andrew Booth

Kair Elam

Kyler Gordan

Who else might be there?

Daxton Hill

7 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I have watched no tape but everything I have read says more of a run stopper. 

Yeah I’d say he’s more of a run stopper. I’m just telling ya that he’s shown on tape that he can collapse the pocket as a pass rusher. He strong like bull. 🐂

That said, I seriously doubt he’s their guy at 31. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Yeah I’d say he’s more of a run stopper. I’m just telling ya that he’s shown on tape that he can collapse the pocket as a pass rusher. He strong like bull. 🐂

That said, I seriously doubt he’s their guy at 31. 

Are there many options at 3T at 31? 

This is my big board of guys I am targeting 

R1 - Tyler Linderbaum C - Iwoa,

Andrew Booth CB - Clemson,
        Kaiir Elam CB - Florida,
        Zion Johnson OG - Boston College,
        Daxton Hill S (though he's listed as a CB, PFF has him moving to S), - Michigan 
        Kenyon Green OG - Texas A&M

R2 - Logan Hall DT (specifically 3 tech) - Houson,
        Abraham Lucas Tackle - Washington State,
        Darian Kinnard Tackle - Kentucky,
        Kyler Gordon CB - Washington,
        Kirby Joseph S - Illinois,
        Trey McBride TE - Colorado State,
        Josh Paschal Edge - Kentucky

R3 - Perrion Winfrey DT (3 tech) Oklahoma,
        Nick Cross S - Maryland,
        Marcus Jones CB - Houston (PFF also has him listed as the draft's best kick/punt returner),
        Greg Dulcich TE - UCLA,
        John Metchie WR - 'Bama,

Romeo Doubs WR - Nevada

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This is my big board of guys I am targeting 

R1 - Linderbaum, Booth, Elam, Johnson, Hill, Green

R2 - Hall, Lucas, Kinnard, Gordan, Joseph, McBride, Paschal

R3 - Winfery, Cross, Jones, Dulcich, Metchie, Doubs

I need full names!!!! I am so behind this year. 

I would love to open up Rd 3 to TE or S but I just can't do it yet. No way in Rd 2. 

I am foreclosed on 

Rd 1-3: OL, CB, 3T

Rd 4-6: TE, WR, S

Rd 7: Whatever

I need to open up more. 

9 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I would love to open up Rd 3 to TE or S but I just can't do it yet. No way in Rd 2. 

I am foreclosed on 

I need to open up more. 

If we don't get a CB in Rd. 1, I don't think we get one.  Unfortunately, the same can probably be said for 3T as well.  There will always be hidden gems, but we're going to have a big decision to make when we see how the board finally falls on draft day.

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

I am foreclosed on 

I need to open up more. 

I edited to give last names, positions, and college

Here is PFF's big board

NFL Draft Big Board | PFF

37 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

If we don't get a CB in Rd. 1, I don't think we get one.  Unfortunately, the same can probably be said for 3T as well.  There will always be hidden gems, but we're going to have a big decision to make when we see how the board finally falls on draft day.

I guess there is a reality where we don't get one and we get Larry O back....or Spain....or Steven Nelson......I just want that guy now because It would be nice to get the top S in the draft at the end of Rd 2 etc. 

Archived