1 hour ago, A Rock said:

I saw nothing but upside with Chris Evans when they drafted him. The major gripe was he hadn't played enough, but as far as I could tell it was related to scholastic issues which he rectified. Just more tread on the tires for a swiss army knife type back. He didn't get a lot of touches last year, but he did average 4.5 yards per carry and over 10 yards per catch, with 2 touchdowns. Surprised they didn't use him a little more.

agreed

The kid showed quite a bit as a rookie in limited opportunities.

I really thought that Zach would cook up more schemes to utilize him.

Hopefully that develops - seems like quite a bit of untapped potential there.

Nice problems to have.

2 hours ago, A Rock said:

I saw nothing but upside with Chris Evans when they drafted him. The major gripe was he hadn't played enough, but as far as I could tell it was related to scholastic issues which he rectified. Just more tread on the tires for a swiss army knife type back. He didn't get a lot of touches last year, but he did average 4.5 yards per carry and over 10 yards per catch, with 2 touchdowns. Surprised they didn't use him a little more.

Evans best skill is as a pass receiving RB. But we have excellent receivers for Burrow to throw to, little need to checkdown to the RB. And Perrine is better a blitz pickup than Evans. So he'd be a better fit on another team that throws a lot to the backs. 

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Evans best skill is as a pass receiving RB. But we have excellent receivers for Burrow to throw to, little need to checkdown to the RB. And Perrine is better a blitz pickup than Evans. So he'd be a better fit on another team that throws a lot to the backs. 

We'll see moving forward with the improved o line, but we had plenty of need to check down to a RB during the playoff and Super Bowl run.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:41 AM, MichaelWeston said:

One of my worst traits come draft time is my rigidity when it comes to the logic of when we should be willing to consider certain positions. I was adamant last year that WR was an over investment in Round 1 and therefore we should take Sewell. So....with that said, much of this is probably overly rigid but still fun to think about. 

My rules for the 2022 draft.

QB: Never.

Never ever draft a QB when you have Joe Burrow as your QB. You want your backup to have starts in his belt and a rookie can by definition never have that. 

RB: Late to never.

When you have a top end RB like Mixon, you should never draft a RB early. So many late round RBs have succeeded that it makes sense to take a flyer every year late and add talent to the back of the room. I also believe we actually have another RB1 on the roster in Evans. I see starter ability in his play. Both Williams and Perrine are free agents after next year. Mixon's contract isn't up until 2025. 

WR: 4-5

Our top 3 WRs are here for the next 2 years at least. Beyond that they return 5 WRs, none of which made an impact last year as a receiver. Taylor actually did a have a 40 catch year as a rookie so it's not out of the question that he could make a bit of an impact in the passing game. As it stands the locks are probably Chase-Boyd-Higgins and Morgan. There is a pretty big need for a 4th WR who can start 5-8 games and be dynamic. The odds are Boyd doesn't get extended in 2 years so bonus points to someone with versatility to play outside but who can eventually start in the slot.  Doubling down at the position won't make sense with the depth we have in Mike Thomas, Irwin and Pooka Williams but I bet we get the cream of the crop in the UDFA market. 

TE: 4th and beyond

The position isn't settled but the top 2 for 2022 are probably already here. Hurst and Sample will be adequate at the position but planting the seeds for 2023 and beyond will be essential. I have seen some mocks with a TE in the first 2 rounds. I think that's a mistake because a) there isn't a standout in this class, b) we have our guys for 2022 (and possibly beyond) and c) it usually takes a couple years to for TEs to be ready to contribute. 

Interior OL: 1st-5th

We could use a starter at LG or C. We also could use an upgrade at backup C. This will have to be an early pick who can either start immediately or play a role should injuries happen at C. 

Tackle: 4th and beyond

For the first time in years Tackle is pretty set. I wouldn't hate an upgrade at depth at the position even though I think Adeniji-Smith and Prince are all ok. 

Nose Tackle: Not with this roster

This depth chart might be the deepest on the roster with Reader-Tuapu and Shelvin. 

3T: 1st thru 5th

With Ogunjobi gone they have to replace over 700 snaps. This pick will be at the forefront of the draft and they will have to go after someone in free agency if they aren't happy with how things turn out. Whoever they draft this year will be expected to play a ton. BJ Hill might have been re-signed but he isn't the dynamic pass rusher they would want inside. 

Edge: Not with this roster

I have seen some first rounders at edge for us in mocks and I think that's a huge mistake. This roster is built perfectly for a 4th pass rusher who is a veteran on a one year deal. And the market is full of guys who can make an impact on limited snaps. We still don't really know what we have in Kareem, Sample or Hubert. Contractwise you want to cycle things in a sequence so drafting a DE who will be a FA immediately after Ossai-Hendrickson and Hubert all hit FA isn't wise. 

LB: 7th

We have a great recent track record with getting a ton out of fringe guys. LBs tend to fall in drafts and I wouldn't mind taking advantage of that late to throw a guy into the mix in the back of that room. Drafting a LB early probably never makes sense because of the small difference in paying a veteran vs a rookie. You want to draft at positions where there is a huge gap, DE, CB, LT, WR and QB. 

S: 3rd and beyond

Bates and Bell are both free agents and it's probably time to hedge our bets. I actually believe pretty strongly both are back, but we will need depth no matter what. I think we have too many high end needs to take one in the first couple rounds, but I could be talked into an elite player if that's the direction they go. 

Outside corner: Rd 1 and beyond

Eli Apple is fine but we won't want to rely on him alone. He is probably better off as a 4th corner and spot starter. Getting someone to pair with him on the outside in the first few rounds is essential.

Slot corner: Rd 4 and beyond

Hilton is a solid starter with positives and negatives in some areas. His backup could be upgraded. 

K/P/LS: Never

I would have never drafted a Kicker and would have been wrong. I wouldn't draft a punter this year because I think Chrisman can do it or rather is worth the attempt. 

WR: they have three amazing starters and then a could of nuthin.'.  One turned ankle and then you're looking for a starter.  Not saying they should rush to grab one at 31, but at any point beyond that if a WR is the clear BPA, go for it.

TE:  Hurst is here for one season.  Sample is fungible.  There is a lot of depth at the position in this draft class, ao at any point beyond 31...  Heck, if I got the right offer to trade down a few spot, pick up an extra premium pick or two, then take McBride, I'd consider it.

Yeah, outside CB, a 3Tech and another EDGE are probably our more pressing needs, but a 4th WR, 3rd TE,  OL depth and a 3rd safety are still in the realm of discussion for premium picks if the BPA is there.  Giving The Franchise another lethal target is never a bad idea.  There will always be another round of FA's after the Draft to fill holes and the Bengals still have cap room so take advantage of the flexibility.

Punter?  Yeah, they've got Chrisman, but punter in the 6th or 7th round is one spot where you stand a decent shot of landing a long-term starter.  Other positions, you're usually looking at fringe depth or a lottery ticket.  If SDSU punter Araiza is there late and you think he could help you dominate the field ;position battle, why not?

We should be looking for a TE in the draft but not as a Hurst replacement but as an upgrade from Sample. Hurst could leave next season as could anyone else in their final contract year but he was happy to sign here this year and if he has a decent season, no reason for him to go. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

We should be looking for a TE in the draft but not as a Hurst replacement but as an upgrade from Sample. Hurst could leave next season as could anyone else in their final contract year but he was happy to sign here this year and if he has a decent season, no reason for him to go. 

Mostly agree. The problem is that if Hurst has a good year, then he could get relatively expensive quickly. The top tier TEs all got tagged. Most of the second and third tier guys got 3 years, $24M or in that ballpark. Even guys like Will Dissly. I would expect that if Hurst has even a decent season, he'd be in line for a similar deal. 

File this under "first-world NFL problems" but the biggest overarching roster construction issue moving forward is contract distributions. We don't have a single guy with a cap hit higher than $14.5M in 2022 (Hendrickson). The lack of big money contracts has allowed us to go out and sign a bunch of these guys in the $6-10M range (Cappa, Collins, Karras, BJ Hill, Awuzie, Hilton, Vonn Bell, etc.)

Next offseason, both Burrow and Higgins are in line for huge extensions and then Chase the next year. We won't have the luxury of just going out and signing (or re-signing) a ton of mid-level veteran starters once the offensive stars are taking up a big chunk of the cap.

With that in mind, it is going to be super important that the next two draft classes produce some guys who develop into cheap starters because the option of just having a ton of $6-10M guys is not going to be there once the stars get paid.

3 hours ago, happyrid said:

Mostly agree. The problem is that if Hurst has a good year, then he could get relatively expensive quickly.

That's why I hate 1 year contracts in the NFL ... I would always have a minimum of 2 years. There is no benefit to the team, who can usually cut the player after year 1 anyway. But there is a big risk, as if the player balls out they now get way more expensive (see Larry and Hill from last year). 

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yes and no..

Evans seems to fit the bill as 

Burrows backup.

Samaji Perine at 5'10 and 240lbs is their bully boy in shirt yardage..

And...

Trayveon Williams waits.......

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes and no..

Evans seems to fit the bill as 

Burrows backup.

Samaji Perine at 5'10 and 240lbs is their bully boy in shirt yardage..

And...

Trayveon Williams waits.......

I don't think Trayveon is in their plans at all from what Dehner and others have said. 

I could see a late-round back or priority undrafted FA to compete for the #4 RB spot and provide injury insurance during camp so that he could step up as the RB3 if any of Mixon, Perine, or Evans gets hurt. 

It is probably at least a year away, but there is going to come a time pretty soon where it will make sense to consider drafting a rookie and just cutting Mixon. Especially if he can't step up his game as a pass blocker. He just isn't worth $12M+ per year if he is mostly limited to 1st and 2nd down. 

13 hours ago, happyrid said:

Mostly agree. The problem is that if Hurst has a good year, then he could get relatively expensive quickly. The top tier TEs all got tagged. Most of the second and third tier guys got 3 years, $24M or in that ballpark. Even guys like Will Dissly. I would expect that if Hurst has even a decent season, he'd be in line for a similar deal. 

File this under "first-world NFL problems" but the biggest overarching roster construction issue moving forward is contract distributions. We don't have a single guy with a cap hit higher than $14.5M in 2022 (Hendrickson). The lack of big money contracts has allowed us to go out and sign a bunch of these guys in the $6-10M range (Cappa, Collins, Karras, BJ Hill, Awuzie, Hilton, Vonn Bell, etc.)

Next offseason, both Burrow and Higgins are in line for huge extensions and then Chase the next year. We won't have the luxury of just going out and signing (or re-signing) a ton of mid-level veteran starters once the offensive stars are taking up a big chunk of the cap.

With that in mind, it is going to be super important that the next two draft classes produce some guys who develop into cheap starters because the option of just having a ton of $6-10M guys is not going to be there once the stars get paid.

Eh, I don't think they'll do a Burrow extension in 2023. At that point the team will be able to exercise his 5th year option and they will of course. Just as I expect them to pick up Jonah Williams' option this year. So next year Williams and Higgins will be going into their final year under contract and get new deals, Burrow will be 2024 and Chase in 2025. Logan Wilson will also likely get a new deal next year plus Awuzie, Hilton, and maybe Bell. I doubt Boyd or Mixon get 3rd contracts unless they accept pay cuts but with the cap growing, they may not want to do that if they think another team will pay more. 

Bengals are about 19 mil under the cap currently so there is no reason not to get a Bates extension done this year. He's a top 10 safety and his market value is a bit higher than his tag number. 

Regarding Burrow, I don't think he'll push for maximum dollars. I could see him taking a 5/175 full guaranteed deal with 60 in signing bonus or something like that. Or a deal that pays a % of the salary cap. If he reached free agency, he'd get the biggest contract in NFL history but I don't think he's looking to leave, and will stay if he's getting generational wealth, provided the team spends the money on other players.

1 minute ago, happyrid said:

I don't think Trayveon is in their plans at all from what Dehner and others have said. 

I could see a late-round back or priority undrafted FA to compete for the #4 RB spot and provide injury insurance during camp so that he could step up as the RB3 if any of Mixon, Perine, or Evans gets hurt. 

It is probably at least a year away, but there is going to come a time pretty soon where it will make sense to consider drafting a rookie and just cutting Mixon. Especially if he can't step up his game as a pass blocker. He just isn't worth $12M+ per year if he is mostly limited to 1st and 2nd down. 

Yes, Mixon benefited from timing and isn't really worth the contract he currently has. I think the team should be looking for a WR this year as a future Boyd replacement and a RB next year to replace Mixon.

Just now, sparky151 said:

Eh, I don't think they'll do a Burrow extension in 2023. At that point the team will be able to exercise his 5th year option and they will of course. Just as I expect them to pick up Jonah Williams' option this year. So next year Williams and Higgins will be going into their final year under contract and get new deals, Burrow will be 2024 and Chase in 2025. Logan Wilson will also likely get a new deal next year plus Awuzie, Hilton, and maybe Bell. I doubt Boyd or Mixon get 3rd contracts unless they accept pay cuts but with the cap growing, they may not want to do that if they think another team will pay more. 

Bengals are about 19 mil under the cap currently so there is no reason not to get a Bates extension done this year. He's a top 10 safety and his market value is a bit higher than his tag number. 

Regarding Burrow, I don't think he'll push for maximum dollars. I could see him taking a 5/175 full guaranteed deal with 60 in signing bonus or something like that. Or a deal that pays a % of the salary cap. If he reached free agency, he'd get the biggest contract in NFL history but I don't think he's looking to leave, and will stay if he's getting generational wealth, provided the team spends the money on other players.

I would be shocked if Burrow doesn't get his extension after his third year.

That is when just about every other young franchise QB in recent years has got paid. Including the guys he is really in the same tier as like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Deshaun Watson. 

14 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I would be shocked if Burrow doesn't get his extension after his third year.

That is when just about every other young franchise QB in recent years has got paid. Including the guys he is really in the same tier as like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Deshaun Watson. 

It depends on whether he wants to maximize his personal earnings (ala Kirk Cousins, Peyton Manning,  and Deshaun Watson) or get paid a lot and help his team win (ala Brady, Mahomes or Stafford). I think he's clearly in the latter group.

He could reasonably ask for 50 mil per year fully guaranteed. But if he did, he'd take up a huge % of the team's cap and they'd have to cut or let leave other good players. He's the king of Cincinnati and the team is doing whatever they can to protect him and take his advice into consideration.

That's a good situation for him and I think he will settle for less than top dollar in exchange for keeping things rolling. His signing bonus on his next deal will guarantee his family (including parents and siblings and future children) financial security for life. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who needs a Bugatti to upgrade from his Porsche. 

On 4/10/2022 at 11:27 AM, sparky151 said:

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who needs a Bugatti to upgrade from his Porsche. 

I would have thought that about Deshaun Watson, Pat Mahomes and Josh Allen.  I guess you just never know.  I hope you're right though.  

Archived