My annual Big-Man crush is tingling more and more for the idea of taking Daniel Faalele at #31 as I don't think he will be there in Rd 2. Then I would move him from OT inside to LG (which I think he's better suited for anyway).

At 6'9 387 lbs, with an size 18 shoe and wearing a size XXXXXXXXL shirt he would instantly be the largest player in the NFL and he could even be used to run the ball on 3rd and inches or goal line (no more risking Burrow on QB sneaks) ...

A description from The Guardian ...

Daniel Faalele, offensive tackle, Minnesota

At 6ft 9in (!) and 387lb (!!) Faalele looks more like a long-lost third Clegane brother than a starting NFL tackle. In fact, there hasn’t been an NFL starter in the 21st century built as big as the Aussie.

Faalele is from Melbourne, and an assistant coach for Hawaii on a scouting trip to Australia discovered him while he was rehabbing an injury at a local gym. The coach offered Faalele a scholarship on the spot. He wound up landing at Minnesota, using the Madden video game series to swot up on the rules and regulations. “I didn’t know what a first down was or anything,” Faalele told ESPN in 2018. “I didn’t know the positions or what roles they played. That was surprising.”

Chatter among leaky scouts has suggested that Faalele may be too big to play tackle in the league, that he will struggle to dip and sink to wall off the league’s premier dip-and-rip pass-rushers. Can he shuffle his size-18 feet quickly enough to keep up with Von Miller off the edge? Can he step, drop, and reset to cut off Khalil Mack trying to knife inside?

A team will take the bet that Faalele can, probably in the first round. He isn’t a novelty: he’s an assured pass protector who has the huge frame that could make him special. The only question now is whether the franchise that selects him is stocked up on enough XXXXXXXXL gear. Yep, that’s his shirt size and that’s eight Xs for those keeping score at home.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/apr/13/daniel-faalele-matt-araiza-nfl-draft-2022-prospects

With 2 weeks until the draft, the projections are starting to become more clear. A problem I see arising is that many of the players the Bengals could use will be selected throughout the teens and 20s ...

From my own draft board (below), the following is a list of players I like in Rd 1 ... but I think that all of the ones above the ------- could likely be gone when Cincinnati is on the clock. 

WR Treylon Burks       6’3, 225, Arkansas

DT Jordan Davis       6’6, 340, Georgia

LB Devin Lloyd       6’3, 225, Utah

OT Bernhard Raimann       6’7, 305, C. Mich

C Tyler Linderbaum       6’3, 290, Iowa

G Zion Johnson      6’3, 317, Boston Coll

DE George Karlaftis       6’4, 275, Purdue

CB Andrew Booth       6’0, 200, Clemson

DT Travis Jones       6’5, 333, UConn

G Tyler Smith       6’6, 332, Tulsa

^ ------- (all likely gone) ------- ^

S Lewis Cine     6’1, 200, Georgia

TE Trey McBride       6’3, 249, Colo St.

T/G Daniel Faalele       6’9, 387, Minnesota

DE Logan Hall       6’6, 275, Houston

If it falls this way, I think the Bengals would / should consider taking Cine or McBride (perhaps Faalele), or trading down with a team looking to come up and get a QB. Of note, I am not a fan of CB Elam if you're looking for his name. 

15 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

With 2 weeks until the draft, the projections are starting to become more clear. A problem I see arising is that many of the players the Bengals could use will be selected throughout the teens and 20s ...

From my own draft board (below), the following is a list of players I like in Rd 1 ... but I think that all of the ones above the ------- could likely be gone when Cincinnati is on the clock. 

WR Treylon Burks       6’3, 225, Arkansas

DT Jordan Davis       6’6, 340, Georgia

LB Devin Lloyd       6’3, 225, Utah

OT Bernhard Raimann       6’7, 305, C. Mich

C Tyler Linderbaum       6’3, 290, Iowa

G Zion Johnson      6’3, 317, Boston Coll

DE George Karlaftis       6’4, 275, Purdue

CB Andrew Booth       6’0, 200, Clemson

DT Travis Jones       6’5, 333, UConn

G Tyler Smith       6’6, 332, Tulsa

^ ------- (all likely gone) ------- ^

S Lewis Cine     6’1, 200, Georgia

TE Trey McBride       6’3, 249, Colo St.

T/G Daniel Faalele       6’9, 387, Minnesota

DE Logan Hall       6’6, 275, Houston

If it falls this way, I think the Bengals would / should consider taking Cine or McBride (perhaps Faalele), or trading down with a team looking to come up and get a QB. Of note, I am not a fan of CB Elam if you're looking for his name. 

I’m sensing a trade back.  But what do I know?

6 hours ago, Griever said:

Perhaps the Bengals really are looking at Hurst as a one year thing only

Its really up to how Hurst plays this season.

Drafting a TE would add to the unit even if Hurst plays well...

Doubt they keep Sample after this year so drafting a very  good blocker that can add a little to the offense would be wise.

5 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

TEs usually take 2-3 years to do anything. I think they draft a guy now for 2024 essentially. Which sounds weird but that position is weird. 

Brian Calahan talked about that in the video I posted above.

Hey, here’s a blast from the past.  A mock draft prior to 2018 NFL draft.  

just imagine what the NFL would look like today if just the first four picks were actually made.  

3BFEF75C-7D75-4324-9626-1BBD10F33C0D.thumb.jpeg.f764c1352a120dc5b811cc2486657287.jpeg

…had the Bengals selecting Rahsaan Evans, LB, Alabama instead of Billy Price.

Archived