7 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

Booth, Jr.  Sorry I didn't respond to that in the earlier post.

Calvin Booth is a long rangy  CB thats injured..

The extent of his injury could drop him to 31..

Same with Davud Ojobo..

Same with 3tech supreme Devonte West and his multiple charges of domestic violence..

How much is the need despite flags?

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

On another site i saw this:

UT-Chattanooga OL Cole Strange had a private meeting and a workout with the Bengals. 

Cole Strange may never be a probowler but his play on 5he field has damn near every team interested in him..

Probably be a solid player imo.

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Same with Davud Ojobo..

Same with 3tech supreme Devonte West and his multiple charges of domestic violence..

Well, in reality, their best bet wouldn't be to trade up, but to trade down, get multiple picks and hope that one of them gets to be a very good Starter instead of hoping that the only one you picked will be.  Don't go for the shooting gallery and instead get a couple of decent presents (though I did hit the grandslam with that shooting gallery once I got it, and I learned how to fix it when it would break).

Some basic info compiled by PFF:

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Team Overview

Director of Player Personnel    Duke Tobin
HC    Zac Taylor
OC    Brian Callahan
DC    Lou Anarumo
2021 Record    10-7
Final Elo    7th
Draft Capital Rank:    23rd

Capital allocation percentage by position since 2018

QB    17%
WR    19%
TE    4%
OT    12%
OG    6%
OC    8%
CB    2%
S    4%
ED    9%
DI    4%
LB    11%
RB    4%

Draft picks since 2017

Year    Player    Career Grade     Snaps per Season

2021    Ja'Marr Chase    85.3    1186
2020    Joe Burrow    90.5    1973
2019    Jonah Williams    74.6    1935
2018    Billy Price    52.4    2339
2017    John Ross    55.2    1321

Biggest needs

3 Biggest Needs      Early Fit    Late Fit

IOL    Tyler Linderbaum    Luke Fortner
CB    Kyler Gordon    Cordale Flott
DT    Travis Jones    Curtis Brooks

2022 Draft selections

Round    2022 Draft Selections (overall)

1    31
2    63
3    95
4    136
5    174
6    209
7    226, 252

Current starting lineup

O    Projection        D    Projection

QB    Joe Burrow        DT    B.J. Hill
RB    Joe Mixon                DT    D.J. Reader
WR    Ja'Marr Chase        ED    Trey Hendrickson
WR    Tee Higgins        ED    Sam Hubbard
SWR    Tyler Boyd                LB    Logan Wilson
TE    Hayden Hurst        LB    Germaine Pratt
LT    Jonah Williams        CB    Chidobe Awuzie
LG    Jackson Carman         CB    Eli Apple
C    Ted Karras                Slot    Mike Hilton
RG    Alex Cappa        S    Jessie Bates III
RT    La'el Collins        S    Vonn Bell

Peter Kings Final Prediction (interesting)  *** also to note, the other darlings of the board were gone

31. Cincinnati Bengals: Trey McBride, tight end, Colorado State 

Warning: The Bengals will have options to trade out of this pick, and they’re a more willing trade team on draft weekend than they used to be. This is a golden spot to trade up and get the fifth-year luxury that a late first-round pick would provide, particularly with a team seeing quarterbacks remaining on the board. (First-round picks are in team control pre-free-agency for five years; second-rounders, four years.)

As for the tight end need, the Bengals are still in mourning after losing valuable starter C.J. Uzomah and his 965 snaps last year to the Jets in free agency. The Bengals did sign Hayden Hurst, but the former first-round Raven will be playing for his third team in four years; I doubt he’s the every-down tight end Cincinnati lost in Uzomah. McBride’s a versatile player with an excellent résumé at Colorado State as an inline blocker and a possession receiver. He caught a team-high 90 balls last year in a run-first offense. “McBride would be a classic Mike Brown pick,” one veteran GM told me. “He likes to use draft choices to fill holes.”

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Going through TEs

I find it hard to believe which one of these guys is known for being an uber athlete and which one is known for not being athletic. TE is supposed to be a position where only uber athletes make it.  

Their RAS scores don't match my eyes

https://Stealersdepot.com/2022/04/2022-draft-tight-end-prospects-relative-athletic-scores-ras/

It would be interesting to see their combine/pro-day stats…AND to see them blocking (instead of just being a big WR).  

However, your point is very valid.  Their RAS scores are SO different, and yet their highlight reels look very similar.  Makes me think that we should be able to get a good TE in the mid-rounds of the draft.  

2 hours ago, Jason said:

They will take a TE.

They might take McBride.

But NOT at 31.

Yeah, if the other good options are gone, I’d expect to see a hard push for trading back.  Just need a QB-needy team to trade with.

[And if Detroit hasn’t yet secured a QB, I still think we could scare them into giving up a mid-round pick to move up one slot.  And we could then trade back again from 32.]

10 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-chart-that-guides-nfl-draft-trades-has-a-glaring-flaw-it-isnt-very-good-134240503.html

This article explains deeply what those "trade charts" aren't very predictive anymore.  Well, it doesn't exactly explain why they are not predictive, but more that the Johnson chart is as flawed today as it was when it was invented.  Here's the most important part:

The analytics community has consistently urged teams to accept the draft’s uncertainty and sacrifice quality picks for quantity. “It's proven that no team can consistently outperform the expectations of their draft slot,” says Brad Spielberger, a PFF analyst who co-wrote a book on the draft. “You want to have as many dart throws as possible.”

Baltimore Ravens GM Eric DeCosta recently summarized the philosophy: “Teams should always trade back and acquire picks, and never trade up. You should always accumulate, because the draft is basically a luck-driven process,” he told former Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff. “If you have 10 or 12 draft picks in any given year, even if you suck at drafting, you’re probably gonna hit on five or six picks.”

NFL teams, however, often haven’t listened. Rich Hill, a writer at Pats Pulpit, analyzed five years of trades after the 2011 implementation of the rookie wage scale, and found they closely mirrored the original Cowboys chart. There are hints that behavior has begun to shift, slightly, slowly, but precedent still pulls GMs back to the 80s.

The Chart, Spielberger says, “remains the controller of the marketplace.”

So, when Zac Taylor says that he's not involved in trades, which is the job of Tobin and Mike Brown because of their "experience" factor, that "experience factor" is a major negative as far as producing results.  It takes new minds to make the decisions regarding the trading of draft picks, except for Bill Belichick, of course, who is in a class by himself for understanding the true value of picks that nobody else understands who hasn't worked for him.  (his trade earlier today was with a former employee).

This argument was partially countered with what Bill Polian said this morning on Sirius NFL radio. He had stats that had 70% of active healthy players in the NFL were from rounds 1-3. And there are just as many from rounds 4-7 as there are UDFA. He said the Colts (and he said the Ravens as well) were very dedicated to the UDFA process. Essentially he was saying having more late round picks are not all that useful. That is why teams try and use those to move up in say round 3 or 4. 

24 minutes ago, Griever said:

Nice article here, concise breakdowns of a lot of possible picks

Santangana and Goodberry are the two guys who I like when they talk players as they seem to really know what they are talking about

Here is where I am at TE: I am highest on the value of Kollar-Allen and falling for Wedermyer if he falls.

Trey McBride-C State (3) All around 2x Team captain

Greg Dulcich-UCLA (4) Pass catcher
Charlie Kolar-Iowa St (5) McBride light, team captain
Jeremy Ruckert-OSU (5) Raw but you can see the tools, probably taken before this
Jelani Woods-Va (5) Raw but athletic

Jalen Wedermeyer-Texas AnM (6) Tested poorly, production and my eyes tell me he is good
Austin Allen-Nebraska (7) 6-7, still a bit raw as he focused on basketball a ton, team captain, great senior year

Derrick Deese-S Jose St (7) Led team in receiving as a senior...seems out of shape almost, son of a former Guard, has some upside

James Mitchell-Va Tech (7) Team captain. Tore ACL sr year
Gerrit Prince-UAB (7) Undersized and overaged but 19.4 yards on 36 catches in 2021

I think everyone on the list could be an eventual starter

14 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Same with Davud Ojobo..

Injuries are one thing, multiple charges of domestic violence is another.  

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Well, I did a mock draft based on unusual or cool names and i even got a good grade lol.

But I did miss out on Smoke Monday

2022 Mock by name.png

Aww man, we need to get Snoop for sure. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Injuries are one thing, multiple charges of domestic violence is another.  

Agree..

I think Tobin and co. have dropped him from their board..

You cant respect a player with that background nor should you..

He's not a fit here..

Where I landed with RBs. I want one in the late rounds every draft

RB
Abram Smith-Baylor (6) Played LB and great tape at RB. Would be immediate STeamer
Zonovan Knight-NC St (7) Good size and kick returner
Trestan Ebner-Baylor (7)Good size and kick returner and great pass catcher out of the backfield

Rachaad White-Az St (6)-Probably goes much higher but a steady guy if he falls
Tyler Badie-Missou (6)-Led team in pass catching last year. KR. 1600+ yards rushing last year
Jerome Ford-Cincy (6)-I probably am just biased for the productive local guy
Ty Chandler-NC (U)-Name keeps coming up, Can return kicks

Isaih Pacheco-Rutgers (U) Feels like a guy who was on a bad team and might show in the pros
Jashuan Corbin-FSU (U) Flashed as a KR both stops
Master Teague-OSU (U) Local guy who got passed over at ton at OSU

11 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This argument was partially countered with what Bill Polian said this morning on Sirius NFL radio. He had stats that had 70% of active healthy players in the NFL were from rounds 1-3. And there are just as many from rounds 4-7 as there are UDFA. He said the Colts (and he said the Ravens as well) were very dedicated to the UDFA process. Essentially he was saying having more late round picks are not all that useful. That is why teams try and use those to move up in say round 3 or 4. 

Then, there's that, which you just mentioned.

Archived