Alongside the CB Taylor and DE Clemons, Bengals are also hosting Missouri State DT Eric Johnson, per NFL reporter Greg Auman ...

At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, Johnson earned Second Team All-Missouri Valley honors. At his Pro Day, Johnson recorded 4.88 seconds in the 40-yard dash and a 10-yard split time of 1.70 seconds, while his three-cone time was 4.53 seconds. He looks like a Day 3 sleeper to watch for.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/4/7/23015366/bengals-alontae-taylor-michael-clemons-nfl-draft-tennessee-vols-news-texas-am

Bengals use top-30 visit on underrated 2022 NFL draft DL

f7cbf62050eb4e7c8fab20c6022e1cf7.jpg?w=1

The Cincinnati Bengals have been incredibly active in the run-up to the 2022 NFL draft while using their top-30 visits in interesting ways.

While the Bengals have had some pretty big names on workouts, they also make a point to use their allotted number of visits and contact with draft prospects on underrated guys.

A good example is Missouri State defensive lineman Eric Johnson, who counts as one of the team’s top-30 visits, per Greg Auman of The Athletic.

Johnson won’t make any major headlines, but he’s a Day 3 player with upside and positional versatility the coaches will love. The team needs depth, especially on the interior after losing Larry Ogunjobi, so guys who can come in and play multiple spots are at a premium.

It should be noted that the Bengals love to use top-30 visits on lesser-known prospects they don’t see as much on the pro day circuit. The idea is to get a closer look, plus let them see the facilities and inner workings of the team if/when the prospect has to make a decision when picking a team in undrafted free agency.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/07/bengals-top-30-visit-2022-nfl-draft/

Adding to the last list, Walterfootball lists these players as ones the Bengals have visited with ...

CIN.gif Cincinnati Bengals
  • Joey Blount, Safety, Virginia (Private Visit)
  • Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas (Combine)
  • George Karlaftis, Defensive End, Purdue (Combine)
  • Vederian Lowe, Offensive Tackle, Illinois (Combine)
  • Jamaree Salyer, Offensive Guard, Georgia (Private workout)
  • Alontae Taylor, Cornerback, Tennessee (Private visit)
  • Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty (Combine)

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

One of my worst traits come draft time is my rigidity when it comes to the logic of when we should be willing to consider certain positions. I was adamant last year that WR was an over investment in Round 1 and therefore we should take Sewell. So....with that said, much of this is probably overly rigid but still fun to think about. 

My rules for the 2022 draft.

QB: Never.

Never ever draft a QB when you have Joe Burrow as your QB. You want your backup to have starts in his belt and a rookie can by definition never have that. 

RB: Late to never.

When you have a top end RB like Mixon, you should never draft a RB early. So many late round RBs have succeeded that it makes sense to take a flyer every year late and add talent to the back of the room. I also believe we actually have another RB1 on the roster in Evans. I see starter ability in his play. Both Williams and Perrine are free agents after next year. Mixon's contract isn't up until 2025. 

WR: 4-5

Our top 3 WRs are here for the next 2 years at least. Beyond that they return 5 WRs, none of which made an impact last year as a receiver. Taylor actually did a have a 40 catch year as a rookie so it's not out of the question that he could make a bit of an impact in the passing game. As it stands the locks are probably Chase-Boyd-Higgins and Morgan. There is a pretty big need for a 4th WR who can start 5-8 games and be dynamic. The odds are Boyd doesn't get extended in 2 years so bonus points to someone with versatility to play outside but who can eventually start in the slot.  Doubling down at the position won't make sense with the depth we have in Mike Thomas, Irwin and Pooka Williams but I bet we get the cream of the crop in the UDFA market. 

TE: 4th and beyond

The position isn't settled but the top 2 for 2022 are probably already here. Hurst and Sample will be adequate at the position but planting the seeds for 2023 and beyond will be essential. I have seen some mocks with a TE in the first 2 rounds. I think that's a mistake because a) there isn't a standout in this class, b) we have our guys for 2022 (and possibly beyond) and c) it usually takes a couple years to for TEs to be ready to contribute. 

Interior OL: 1st-5th

We could use a starter at LG or C. We also could use an upgrade at backup C. This will have to be an early pick who can either start immediately or play a role should injuries happen at C. 

Tackle: 4th and beyond

For the first time in years Tackle is pretty set. I wouldn't hate an upgrade at depth at the position even though I think Adeniji-Smith and Prince are all ok. 

Nose Tackle: Not with this roster

This depth chart might be the deepest on the roster with Reader-Tuapu and Shelvin. 

3T: 1st thru 5th

With Ogunjobi gone they have to replace over 700 snaps. This pick will be at the forefront of the draft and they will have to go after someone in free agency if they aren't happy with how things turn out. Whoever they draft this year will be expected to play a ton. BJ Hill might have been re-signed but he isn't the dynamic pass rusher they would want inside. 

Edge: Not with this roster

I have seen some first rounders at edge for us in mocks and I think that's a huge mistake. This roster is built perfectly for a 4th pass rusher who is a veteran on a one year deal. And the market is full of guys who can make an impact on limited snaps. We still don't really know what we have in Kareem, Sample or Hubert. Contractwise you want to cycle things in a sequence so drafting a DE who will be a FA immediately after Ossai-Hendrickson and Hubert all hit FA isn't wise. 

LB: 7th

We have a great recent track record with getting a ton out of fringe guys. LBs tend to fall in drafts and I wouldn't mind taking advantage of that late to throw a guy into the mix in the back of that room. Drafting a LB early probably never makes sense because of the small difference in paying a veteran vs a rookie. You want to draft at positions where there is a huge gap, DE, CB, LT, WR and QB. 

S: 3rd and beyond

Bates and Bell are both free agents and it's probably time to hedge our bets. I actually believe pretty strongly both are back, but we will need depth no matter what. I think we have too many high end needs to take one in the first couple rounds, but I could be talked into an elite player if that's the direction they go. 

Outside corner: Rd 1 and beyond

Eli Apple is fine but we won't want to rely on him alone. He is probably better off as a 4th corner and spot starter. Getting someone to pair with him on the outside in the first few rounds is essential.

Slot corner: Rd 4 and beyond

Hilton is a solid starter with positives and negatives in some areas. His backup could be upgraded. 

K/P/LS: Never

I would have never drafted a Kicker and would have been wrong. I wouldn't draft a punter this year because I think Chrisman can do it or rather is worth the attempt. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

One of my worst traits come draft time is my rigidity when it comes to the logic of when we should be willing to consider certain positions. I was adamant last year that WR was an over investment in Round 1 and therefore we should take Sewell. So....with that said, much of this is probably overly rigid but still fun to think about. 

Never ever draft a QB when you have Joe Burrow as your QB. You want your backup to have starts in his belt and a rookie can by definition never have that. 

When you have a top end RB like Mixon, you should never draft a RB early. So many late round RBs have succeeded that it makes sense to take a flyer every year late and add talent to the back of the room. I also believe we actually have another RB1 on the roster in Evans. I see starter ability in his play. Both Williams and Perrine are free agents after next year. Mixon's contract isn't up until 2025. 

Our top 3 WRs are here for the next 2 years at least. Beyond that they return 5 WRs, none of which made an impact last year as a receiver. Taylor actually did a have a 40 catch year as a rookie so it's not out of the question that he could make a bit of an impact in the passing game. As it stands the locks are probably Chase-Boyd-Higgins and Morgan. There is a pretty big need for a 4th WR who can start 5-8 games and be dynamic. The odds are Boyd doesn't get extended in 2 years so bonus points to someone with versatility to play outside but who can eventually start in the slot.  Doubling down at the position won't make sense with the depth we have in Mike Thomas, Irwin and Pooka Williams but I bet we get the cream of the crop in the UDFA market. 

The position isn't settled but the top 2 for 2022 are probably already here. Hurst and Sample will be adequate at the position but planting the seeds for 2023 and beyond will be essential. I have seen some mocks with a TE in the first 2 rounds. I think that's a mistake because a) there isn't a standout in this class, b) we have our guys for 2022 (and possibly beyond) and c) it usually takes a couple years to for TEs to be ready to contribute. 

We could use a starter at LG or C. We also could use an upgrade at backup C. This will have to be an early pick who can either start immediately or play a role should injuries happen at C. 

For the first time in years Tackle is pretty set. I wouldn't hate an upgrade at depth at the position even though I think Adeniji-Smith and Prince are all ok. 

This depth chart might be the deepest on the roster with Reader-Tuapu and Shelvin. 

With Ogunjobi gone they have to replace over 700 snaps. This pick will be at the forefront of the draft and they will have to go after someone in free agency if they aren't happy with how things turn out. Whoever they draft this year will be expected to play a ton. BJ Hill might have been re-signed but he isn't the dynamic pass rusher they would want inside. 

I have seen some first rounders at edge for us in mocks and I think that's a huge mistake. This roster is built perfectly for a 4th pass rusher who is a veteran on a one year deal. And the market is full of guys who can make an impact on limited snaps. We still don't really know what we have in Kareem, Sample or Hubert. Contractwise you want to cycle things in a sequence so drafting a DE who will be a FA immediately after Ossai-Hendrickson and Hubert all hit FA isn't wise. 

We have a great recent track record with getting a ton out of fringe guys. LBs tend to fall in drafts and I wouldn't mind taking advantage of that late to throw a guy into the mix in the back of that room. Drafting a LB early probably never makes sense because of the small difference in paying a veteran vs a rookie. You want to draft at positions where there is a huge gap, DE, CB, LT, WR and QB. 

Bates and Bell are both free agents and it's probably time to hedge our bets. I actually believe pretty strongly both are back, but we will need depth no matter what. I think we have too many high end needs to take one in the first couple rounds, but I could be talked into an elite player if that's the direction they go. 

Eli Apple is fine but we won't want to rely on him alone. He is probably better off as a 4th corner and spot starter. Getting someone to pair with him on the outside in the first few rounds is essential.

Hilton is a solid starter with positives and negatives in some areas. His backup could be upgraded. 

I would have never drafted a Kicker and would have been wrong. I wouldn't draft a punter this year because I think Chrisman can do it or rather is worth the attempt. 

Interesting way to think about it. My take for this year.

QB- No

RB- No

OT- Maybe late but not the need for now.

OG/C- I'd take one somewhere in the first 4 rounds.

WR- I'd also take one anywhere in the first 4-5 rounds. On record as thinking this is a spot they should over-invest in since it is arguably the biggest strength. 

TE- 3rd-5th. Seems to be the sweet spot for this TE class and they really need one with neither Sample nor Hurst not signed long-term. If they were gaga for Trey McBride, wouldn't hate it at the end of round 2. 

DE- Maybe mid-to-late

DT- First 3 rounds. Really think they need another guy to rotate in. 

LB- Not on my list but open to the possibility. Pratt in the last year of his deal

CB- One of the biggest needs, first 4 rounds.

S- Sneaky huge need with both Bell and Bates in the last year of their deals. Also looks like pretty loaded class, so this would make sense.

Would also add that a versatile CB/S like Daxton Hill, Jaquan Brisker, or Jalen Pitre might be a way to kill two birds with one stone Let him compete with Apple for a starting CB job this year. If he excels there, great. Worst case, it is a nice depth upgrade that's needed. Then you also have an obvious in-house candidate to take over as a starting Safety in 2023.

4 hours ago, happyrid said:

Interesting way to think about it. My take for this year.

QB- No

RB- No

OT- Maybe late but not the need for now.

OG/C- I'd take one somewhere in the first 4 rounds.

WR- I'd also take one anywhere in the first 4-5 rounds. On record as thinking this is a spot they should over-invest in since it is arguably the biggest strength. 

TE- 3rd-5th. Seems to be the sweet spot for this TE class and they really need one with neither Sample nor Hurst not signed long-term. If they were gaga for Trey McBride, wouldn't hate it at the end of round 2. 

DE- Maybe mid-to-late

DT- First 3 rounds. Really think they need another guy to rotate in. 

LB- Not on my list but open to the possibility. Pratt in the last year of his deal

CB- One of the biggest needs, first 4 rounds.

S- Sneaky huge need with both Bell and Bates in the last year of their deals. Also looks like pretty loaded class, so this would make sense.

Very much so.

6 hours ago, happyrid said:

Would also add that a versatile CB/S like Daxton Hill, Jaquan Brisker, or Jalen Pitre might be a way to kill two birds with one stone Let him compete with Apple for a starting CB job this year. If he excels there, great. Worst case, it is a nice depth upgrade that's needed. Then you also have an obvious in-house candidate to take over as a starting Safety in 2023.

That's a really interesting way to look at it. 

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Here is mine. 

QB: Not needed

Joe is the starter, and they resigned Allen. No need to invest any pick in this position.

RB: No higher than a 3rd

Mixon is the starter, but I'm not huge on Perine and think Evans isn't a guy that can be anything more than an occasional 3rd option. If there is a Gio Benard type back sitting there and other needs have been addressed or the RB is the best player available I'm fine with it.

WR: No higher than a 3rd

We have 3 starters that are all elite at what they do, we could use some depth after that and maybe start preparing a guy for when Boyd or Higgins leave but that isnt a thing we have to have right now. .... but again....BPA

Interior Oline: As early as the 1st round

If it's Center or Guard, you can argue the need is there and as long as the value matches I'm fine with it.

Tackle: Preferably as early as the 2nd, but would not be totally mad at a 1st 

Johna is in his 4th year, it's not a sure thing that he gets the 5th year option picked up, but I do think it happens, and I still want someone in case Collins who has had some injury concerns, goes down. 

TE: As early as the 1st

I don't think there is a TE that will be there at 31 that is worth the 1st at least in this draft class, and think it's more likely the 2nd is as early as they go....but again BPA because we do have a need here.

DE: Dark Horse 1st

We have 2 starters under contract for few years and a promising young Osai, but Oasi is coming off injury and unknown, getting a 3rd pass rusher is my dark horse pick

DT: As early as the 1st

IMHO the strength of this dline after Henrickson was the DT rotation replacing Ogunjobi is  must

LB: As early as the 1st

Pratt, Wilson and Davis Gather are all up for new contracts soon, we wont be able to keep all of them.

S: As early as the 1st

Bates and Bell are both up after this year and Bates is looking less and less likely to be here

CB: As early as the 1st

Cheeto is in year 2 of a 3 year deal, Apple has 1 year, we have no depth or guy that can do what either of them do on the roster right now, as Flowers is more the TE coverage type and not an outside corner, and Hilton is strictly a slot CB

K: No pick needed

Money Mac was worth the pick

P: probably not higher than a 5th, but if we trade down and get an extra pick would not be mad at the 4th

McPherson show what a good kicking game can be as far as being a weapon, good field position by way of a good punter is just as important.

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Our pass rush was very average last year...and that's with Hendrickson having an all-world year.  We definitely need at least one edge.  Outside of Hendrickson we don't have ONE person that can rush from the edge.  I know people are high on Ossai who played one quarter of the first pre season game, but I wouldn't put all of my eggs in that basket.  Even if he turns out to be good, having three good edge players isn't the worst thing in the world at all.  

7 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Our pass rush was very average last year...and that's with Hendrickson having an all-world year.  We definitely need at least one edge.  Outside of Hendrickson we don't have ONE person that can rush from the edge.  I know people are high on Ossai who played one quarter of the first pre season game, but I wouldn't put all of my eggs in that basket.  Even if he turns out to be good, having three good edge players isn't the worst thing in the world at all.  

I don't disagree, but with limited draft picks I think you really should focus on adding that player in free agency still. 

7 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't disagree, but with limited draft picks I think you really should focus on adding that player in free agency still. 

That's fair...I'd love to shore up 3T and CB in FA.  I think depth at edge is good enough in this draft where we could find someone decent in the mid rounds.  

10 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

No..Hubbard was more productive.

He was strictly a DE

Never played safety..

Wrong on both counts. His progression from Moeller to the end of his tOSU days was from S to DE. And Karlaftis was WAY more productive than Hubbard at DE in college. 

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Wrong on both counts. His progression from Moeller to the end of his tOSU days was from S to DE. And Karlaftis was WAY more productive than Hubbard at DE in college. 

Was looking at Karlaftis and Hubbards

College careers and I dont see the discrepancy between the two.

Hubbard played 39 games in 3yrs at OSU and was a DE for them.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Here is mine. 

QB: Not needed

Joe is the starter, and they resigned Allen. No need to invest any pick in this position.

RB: No higher than a 3rd

Mixon is the starter, but I'm not huge on Perine and think Evans isn't a guy that can be anything more than an occasional 3rd option. If there is a Gio Benard type back sitting there and other needs have been addressed or the RB is the best player available I'm fine with it.

WR: No higher than a 3rd

We have 3 starters that are all elite at what they do, we could use some depth after that and maybe start preparing a guy for when Boyd or Higgins leave but that isnt a thing we have to have right now. .... but again....BPA

Interior Oline: As early as the 1st round

If it's Center or Guard, you can argue the need is there and as long as the value matches I'm fine with it.

Tackle: Preferably as early as the 2nd, but would not be totally mad at a 1st 

Johna is in his 4th year, it's not a sure thing that he gets the 5th year option picked up, but I do think it happens, and I still want someone in case Collins who has had some injury concerns, goes down. 

TE: As early as the 1st

I don't think there is a TE that will be there at 31 that is worth the 1st at least in this draft class, and think it's more likely the 2nd is as early as they go....but again BPA because we do have a need here.

DE: Dark Horse 1st

We have 2 starters under contract for few years and a promising young Osai, but Oasi is coming off injury and unknown, getting a 3rd pass rusher is my dark horse pick

DT: As early as the 1st

IMHO the strength of this dline after Henrickson was the DT rotation replacing Ogunjobi is  must

LB: As early as the 1st

Pratt, Wilson and Davis Gather are all up for new contracts soon, we wont be able to keep all of them.

S: As early as the 1st

Bates and Bell are both up after this year and Bates is looking less and less likely to be here

CB: As early as the 1st

Cheeto is in year 2 of a 3 year deal, Apple has 1 year, we have no depth or guy that can do what either of them do on the roster right now, as Flowers is more the TE coverage type and not an outside corner, and Hilton is strictly a slot CB

K: No pick needed

Money Mac was worth the pick

P: probably not higher than a 5th, but if we trade down and get an extra pick would not be mad at the 4th

McPherson show what a good kicking game can be as far as being a weapon, good field position by way of a good punter is just as important.

Good assesment...

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

I saw this earlier in the thread but will drop it here. No offense to Hubbard, who works his ass off, but he did NOT have a college arc with stats that match this:

You didnt show Hubbard's OSU totals.

I think Hubbard was a steal looking back on it..

I did a little exercise that I think is cool. 

1. Assume that the team thinks it already has all of it's starters for 2022. They are fine with Hill-Apple and Carman.....which they could be. 

2. The below is the layout of holes to fill based on free agents for 2023 and then 2024.

3. It's pretty fascinating. Remember the holes compound so 2023 would go to 2024. Depth obviously matters but starters matter more. 

2023 Holes in Orange: TE,  MLB, S, CB

2024 Holes in Blue: WR, LT, NT, OLB, CB

4. This ignores futures contracts for guys who won't return and treats all of them, RFAs and EFAs as if they are re-signing. Frankly I just didn't want to do the work their because they don't matter much

5. After 2 years only 4 starters remain on the D but 7 of the 11 on offense. 

QB Burrow 25   Browning      
RB Mixon 25 Evans 25     Holyfield  
WR Chase 26   Irwin 23      
WR Higgins 24 Morgan 24        
WR Boyd 24   Williams      
TE     Wilcox 23 Moss Washington Eubanks 23
LT Williams 24 Smith 25        
LG Carman 25          
C Karras 25 Hill 25        
RG Cappa 26 Adeniji 24 Gaillard      
RT Collins 25 Prince 24        

K McPherson 25