Titans temperature check

Temperature Check  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do we win on Saturday?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How Confident are you in your answer?

• 90-100%
    • 80-89%
    • 70-79%
    • 60-69%
    • 50-59%
    • Below 50%

My fear is that we see TN gashing us in the run game, with a lot of 5+ yard carries on first down.  It’s tough to win when your opponent faces a lot of 2nd-and-short plays.  

I also fear that we again settle for FGs in the red zone.  If it’s 2nd-and-goal from four or more yards out, instead of running for little or no gain (giving us only one try to pass for a TD), let’s take two tries to pass for the TD.  We will need TDS.

[Someone check the play-by-play of last week’s game and correct me if I’m wrong: My recollection on each of our first three trips into the red zone, we RAN the ball on 2nd-and-goal.  Once from the 6 and once from the 9…and the other time may have been from the 5.  It was a wasted down each time.  The first time, we scored on 3rd down, but the next two times we settled for FGs.  Unless our running game somehow has come to life, I’d rather take two shots throwing for the TD.  

Note: if we do happen to run it in on 2nd-and-goal, I will happily eat crow.]

:cool:

21 minutes ago, Cricket said:

My fear is that we see TN gashing us in the run game, with a lot of 5+ yard carries on first down.  It’s tough to win when your opponent faces a lot of 2nd-and-short plays.  

I also fear that we again settle for FGs in the red zone.  If it’s 2nd-and-goal from four or more yards out, instead of running for little or no gain (giving us only one try to pass for a TD), let’s take two tries to pass for the TD.  We will need TDS.

[Someone check the play-by-play of last week’s game and correct me if I’m wrong: My recollection on each of our first three trips into the red zone, we RAN the ball on 2nd-and-goal.  Once from the 6 and once from the 9…and the other time may have been from the 5.  It was a wasted down each time.  The first time, we scored on 3rd down, but the next two times we settled for FGs.  Unless our running game somehow has come to life, I’d rather take two shots throwing for the TD.  

That was all strategy. Make Titans think we aren't going to score in the Red Zone, but this week we will. Always be one game ahead. :D

19 minutes ago, steggyD said:

That was all strategy. Make Titans think we aren't going to score in the Red Zone, but this week we will. Always be one game ahead. :D

LOL, that thought actually did occur to me…

I wonder what we’ll do today to throw off the Chiefs/Bills for next week’s game.  😎

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Drop all your fears today

.Joe and the Fab 4 have got this!!

Believe...

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Taylor calling runs on second and long pisses me off.  Especially in the red zone. 

1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

As a play caller, you're looking to get to 3rd and manageable. Without being too scientific, it's well accepted knowledge that a 3 step drop leads to an 8 yard route/throw. Less on outs, etc. More than 3rd and 6 is advantage defense.

So, if you pass and miss on first down, you now NEED 4 yards. Safest way to get that is with the running game. Plus, you just passed, have to keep balance. And hell, 3rd and 8 gives you more routes to work than 3rd an 10. And you have less advantage passing and more advantage running than you did on first down. Hmmmm....

I mean, I don't like it, but I get it. IMHO, it's much dumber when he does it on 2nd and 17. But if a screen is "just a long hand off" why isn't a draw just a really short pass?

If the Bengals OL were a good run blocking team, sure.  On second and long you can run those quick routes they like.  Not so much on 3rd and long.  Third and long also puts Joe in a bind as the pass rush is coming.  Line not good enough for traditional playcalling.  Better off putting it in Burrows hands. 

22 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

But what if you're CJ Uzomah? Or Isaiah Prince.

I've been to both Bengals and Washington training camp - trust me, there's a difference.

How much does your local Ford dealership pay Jessie Bates to be in a 30 second spot? Think that's different in New York?

What kind of honeys are in your town for a 21 year old with too much testosterone and a big wallet? Who's coming by on Tuesday night?

In the case of Carson, do your midwest values and "charm" align with his SoCal upbringing?

Being able to recruit the other 52 guys on the roster without having to pay the a little extra for plane tickets to go be a young man. Or do you have to pay them a little extra for all the plane tickets to Miami? Heck, Florida already doesn't have state Income Tax.

Stealers never had a problem with that.

Of course Shitsburgh is a hub of  {illicit) activity for players..😎..ask Jen..

Players want to be where they feel they have a shot at playoffs and SB..

Where the clubhouse is a close brotherhood..all for 1 to them.

If all theyre looking for is nightlife and. local commercials then maybe they dont need to be a Bengal nowadays..

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You also can't completely abandon traditional playcalling and become one dimensional. The fact that teams know we will run it on 2nd and long keeps them honest for the times we don't. Are you playing bump-and-run on Chase, or are you making it easier for him to block you on the upcoming sweep? Best play off a bit.

I mean - I wish our O-Line didn't blow chunks. Yeah. I share that sentiment... But that also extends to throwing on 3rd and 10 against a 5-0 blitz. 6 of one. I propose that the real issue is the O-Line and not so much the play call.

All logical, but who do you trust?  Mixon on second and long or letting Burrow find the hole in the D?   Some of the Bengals best drive are when Burrow throws on every down.  I’m not suggesting that, but far too often the Bengals drive into the red zone on Burrows arm and then Taylor runs on first and second down which leads to third and long, Burrow gets sacked and they kick a FG.  Could have put the game away last week but Taylor got conservative in the red zone. 

Archived