Keeping our enemies close

Goodell has already shown the willingness to coddle sex pests but he is concerned with nothing so much as optics...  and the optics on this are really, really bad.  He will do whatever needs to be done to protect the NFL brand - no more & no less.

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Rub&Tug is already throwing pick sixes in practice ...

Browns sure are acting like they're not worried about a suspension.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they've already backchanneled an arrangement with Goodell.  

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Goodell has already shown the willingness to coddle sex pests but he is concerned with nothing so much as optics...  and the optics on this are really, really bad.  He will do whatever needs to be done to protect the NFL brand - no more & no less.

I thought I read where some of his powers to haphazardly suspend just anyone were taken away in the last cba or owners meeting?

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I feel like the longer the league takes to not take action the less chance that he gets suspended there will be.

Yep, they are going to sit on this hoping it becomes a backburner issue before announcing the punishment. If they came out right now and said he's suspended for 6 games there would be an explosion of hate from everywhere directed at the NFL. They will wait, let the anger and disgust settle before slipping a less than appropriate punishment by everyone. Afterall, it's all about the product on the field.

29 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I thought I read where some of his powers to haphazardly suspend just anyone were taken away in the last cba or owners meeting?

I think there may have been some kind of guidelines set by the NFLPA like "x games for a missed drug test, x+3 games for airing out a strip club with a gloc" & so on but IDK how it applies here. 

Thing is, these are all civil cases - prosecutors in Texas declined to charge him with anything.  So long as there are no criminal charges the NFL can claim he's innocent even if he pays millions in damages.  

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

The fine was donated to the Capitol Police memorial fund. But the whole idea of fining people for expressing mainstream political opinions is terrible. Trump is wildly unpopular in DC (5% of the vote) but still they shouldn't be fining Del Rio. Forcing him to apologize was bad enough. 

IDK if I'd call what he said "mainstream" but I agree.  If the organization really has a problem with him then fire him, otherwise STFU.  

On 6/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, T-Dub said:

Browns sure are acting like they're not worried about a suspension.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they've already backchanneled an arrangement with Goodell.  

I bet Watson is gone for a season. I don’t think you realize what a shitstorm this is causing. As long as Watson stayed at Houston not playing, Goodell and the NFLcould wait.  

The Browns completely fucked over the entire league with their utter stupidity.  I can’t understand how they could be so dumb.    

22 pending suits at the time and after 3 days of investigation they pull the trigger on  $230 mil 5 years guaranteed????

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

I bet Watson is gone for a season. I don’t think you realize what a shitstorm this is causing. As long as Watson stayed at Houston not playing, Goodell and the NFLcould wait.  

The Browns completely fucked over the entire league with their utter stupidity.  I can’t understand how they could be so dumb.    

22 pending suits at the time and after 3 days of investigation they pull the trigger on  $230 mil 5 years guaranteed????

Browns were desperate. So they had to overpay to get a much better QB than Mayfield. He just comes with a lot of baggage. It's the offseason so there is nothing to do but talk about what a bad person Watson is. Once he's on the field and making plays, it will die down. 

6 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Back to football.......

If Watson is suspended by the NFL he only loses $1.035 million base salary for the entire 2022 season or $55K per game.  Watson gets to keep his $45 million signing bonus.  He probably doesn't care what happens.

Eh, I think he cares about the lawsuits.  That $45 mil could disappear in a hurry with over 20 individual plaintiffs and counting.

Which still doesn't explain WTF is going on with Cleveland's management at all.

43 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You mean, more than 2? Is that the metric we're using? A lot more people were killed in the Peloponnesian War than in both put together.  Was that war more or less just than either?  There's a 1/6 Hearing thread in J&D if you want to dig into all that.

I agree with the rest of your post, fining him was stupid.  Either his values don't align with the organization and they fire him, or they privately agree and it's just grandstanding.  A monetary fine is a half-measure that doesn't answer the question & only serves as a feeble attempt at appeasement.

Del Rio’s comments are the least of the Commando’s problems.   Wondering what is going on behind the scenes with all the other shit.  

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Del Rio’s comments are the least of the Commando’s problems.   Wondering what is going on behind the scenes with all the other shit.  

Insane that the NFCE are some of the most valuable franchises yet the division is pretty much dogshit.  Funny seeing the Eagles up on the power rankings just by default.  Would not be surprised to see the winner near .500 again

Usually fines and discipline come from the NFL front office, but in Del Rio's case it was his own head coach punishing him. The NFL for its part didn't care. 

I think the main reason why is because he's in DC (where Jan 6 was) and the Commanders want a new stadium in DC if they can get one (which requires congressional approval).

So basically this is less a "you're not allowed to have an unwoke political view point" and more a "you're fucking with your bosses bottom line by causing him bad publicity with those he'll need later". 

Either way the entire Washington franchise is a dumpster fire that should probably be disbanded and an expansion team founded in it's place. 

7 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Usually fines and discipline come from the NFL front office, but in Del Rio's case it was his own head coach punishing him. The NFL for its part didn't care. 

I think the main reason why is because he's in DC (where Jan 6 was) and the Commanders want a new stadium in DC if they can get one (which requires congressional approval).

So basically this is less a "you're not allowed to have an unwoke political view point" and more a "you're fucking with your bosses bottom line by causing him bad publicity with those he'll need later". 

Either way the entire Washington franchise is a dumpster fire that should probably be disbanded and an expansion team founded in it's place. 

They agreed to buy land 6 miles from my house. Now personally I think it is a ploy to get a better deal from another location, but I'm like 30ish miles from downtown. 

The district wont give them a sweetheart deal, they actually want to use the land the team wants for more housing and apartments.

I think they end up staying where they are with a new stadium, putting it close to my place is a traffic and logistical nightmare. 

I also tend to wonder if this stuff with Snyder forces him to sell the team if a new stadium is going to happen any time soon anyway

15 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

It probably doesn't take Congressional approval but the DC mayor and council hate Snyder and certainly won't give him a deal. He's bought a couple hundred acres in NoVa but neither the locals or state want to subsidize him. After Del Rio's comments a VA state senator pronounced them the final nail in the coffin but it was pretty tightly sealed already. 

45 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Insane that the NFCE are some of the most valuable franchises yet the division is pretty much dogshit.  Funny seeing the Eagles up on the power rankings just by default.  Would not be surprised to see the winner near .500 again

Plus the owners of the most valuable franchises like Kraft and Snyder can do anything and never suffer.  The NFL only spent about 15 minutes to dump Jerry RIchardson.

Archived