Keeping our enemies close

23 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He’ll be paying his 26 Plaintiffs around $45 million. 

Maybe.  I am not sure though.  If he sits for a year why pay now?  Or pay at all?  The trial is not scheduled until March 2023 at the earliest.  Will the plaintiffs stick together and be willing to wait or can the Watson lawyers start siphoning off plaintiffs with a payoff?  I am no lawyer but I still think the lack of criminal charges helps Watson a lot more than the plaintiffs.     

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Maybe.  I am not sure though.  If he sits for a year why pay now?  Or pay at all?  The trial is not scheduled until March 2023 at the earliest.  Will the plaintiffs stick together and be willing to wait or can the Watson lawyers start siphoning off plaintiffs with a payoff?  I am no lawyer but I still think the lack of criminal charges helps Watson a lot more than the plaintiffs.     

Depends on the trial preparations. I have been attempting to keep track of the various case status, but navigating the Harris County court website is like attempting to get through the Temple of Doom. Lots of firewalls and limited access. Oh well, large county/big city IT. Not even sure if the cases have been consolidated—which if I was Watson, I would do dances over. One case, with all of the plaintiffs in one package, is much easier to control. 

All cases are in the very beginning stages, so you are correct: no real rush to throw money around. Then again, Watson still has to pay his lawyers to develop his defense(s), so he’s still writing checks—and not small ones either. 

Should the cases remain independent of each other, and not consolidated, it may do him well to pick off the low-hanging fruit, and save the real money for the ones which will pan out to be the most troublesome with a jury. If he goes this route, he damn sure better have vice-grip tight non-disclosure agreements. Letting the small fish yak about how much they got, only makes the tougher cases more expensive. The lack of criminal prosecution will be essentially irrelevant, and probably booted from “evidence” early-on, if plead at all. 

The “trials” will be tried in the media—and Houston (Harris County) is a massive media market. The push to pay out will increase, the further along these cases hang around. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Depends on the trial preparations. I have been attempting to keep track of the various case status, but navigating the Harris County court website is like attempting to get through the Temple of Doom. Lots of firewalls and limited access. Oh well, large county/big city IT. Not even sure if the cases have been consolidated—which if I was Watson, I would do dances over. One case, with all of the plaintiffs in one package, is much easier to control. 

All cases are in the very beginning stages, so you are correct: no real rush to throw money around. Then again, Watson still has to pay his lawyers to develop his defense(s), so he’s still writing checks—and not small ones either. 

Should the cases remain independent of each other, and not consolidated, it may do him well to pick off the low-hanging fruit, and save the real money for the ones which will pan out to be the most troublesome with a jury. If he goes this route, he damn sure better have vice-grip tight non-disclosure agreements. Letting the small fish yak about how much they got, only makes the tougher cases more expensive. The lack of criminal prosecution will be essentially irrelevant, and probably booted from “evidence” early-on, if plead at all. 

The “trials” will be tried in the media—and Houston (Harris County) is a massive media market. The push to pay out will increase, the further along these cases hang around. 

You are correct about the NDA's.  If IIRC back in October when there was scuttlebutt about Miami trying to make a trade Watson offered each plaintiff $100K.  And at Miami's insistence aggressive NDA's were proposed.  18 of 22 accepted but the others did not like the NDA proposal and since it was an all or nothing deal it fell through.  Now that extras have come forward the price might change some.  But I still think time is on Deshaun's side.

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

You don't pay 20 women likely millions of dollars (collectively) if you are innocent. 

All the settling does to me is confirm Rub&Tug's guilt.

Now Goodwill should ban him for life on behalf of the 20 admitted-to victims. 

That is the difference between civil and criminal matters. The latter is “beyond reasonable doubt” and the former is “preponderance of evidence”. And even if a civil case goes in favor of one party or another, it is simply that: “finds in favor” 

“Guilt” is not an interchangeable word in both types. I always think of OJ: “not guilty” in the criminal, “liable” in the civil. 

And, along with settlement, it is understood by all (in the settlement agreements) that no admissions of wrongdoings are made because of the settlement.  

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

no admissions of wrongdoings are made because of the settlement.  

I'm less concerned with the court of law and more focused on the logic of common sense.

Imagine if he was innocent and all of these cases were made up wholly as a conspiracy against him, by the lawyer.

You would then have to believe that Watson decided after all this time and PR damage to give millions to 20 lying women and a corrupt lawyer who has led an extortion scheme against him for years and ruined his life and legacy while tarnishing his reputation for the majority of the public.

No innocent person being slandered and targeted with that kind of conspiracy would give millions to the liars trying to destroy them. They would fight until the end and even countersue in civil court.

13 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I'm less concerned with the court of law and more focused on the logic of common sense.

Imagine if he was innocent and all of these cases were made up wholly as a conspiracy against him, by the lawyer.

You would then have to believe that Watson decided after all this time and PR damage to give millions to 20 lying women and a corrupt lawyer who has led an extortion scheme against him for years and ruined his life and legacy while tarnishing his reputation for the majority of the public.

No person being slandered and targeted with that kind of conspiracy would give millions to the liars trying to destroy them. They would fight until the end and even countersue in civil court if innocent.

It would make sense, right? Unfortunately, the civil court system in our country is mostly plaintiff-friendly. Now, of course, outright fabrications and lies are fleshed out early on, and the cases get tossed straightaway. But any cases with confirmable fact patterns, are generally allowed to proceed. One takes their chances after that. 

In this environment, no one “wins” or “loses”…just who pays less money or more. The system is slanted towards the plaintiffs. Not unbeatable, but dicier and really expensive 

Moreover, let's assume Deshaun is innocent - if so he just showed this extorting lawyer (collecting 40% of the payouts) that he's willing to pay every single random lying woman he comes up with money -- as the cases go to 25, 26, 27, 28 etc.

A bad precedent if innocent to show you will pay any random liar with a claim. Hell in that case where can I get in on this and say he jizzed on me?

The real headline should be "Deshaun Watson admits to 24 sexual assaults and 20 of his victims accept payoffs to stay silent".

Welcome to the extortion world of civil litigation. Fight it, if one has the dough. In the end, the only real winners are the lawyers—on both sides. 

Even if he “wins”, and is carried out of court on the shoulders of ESPN, he will have spent millions on his own defense, and will still be seen as a “harasser”.

Having experiencing a fair number of “wins”, they don’t make the “winner” any more popular or admired. The bell has already rung. So pay, or don’t pay, “win” or don’t “win”, Watson is tainted…damaged goods 

3 minutes ago, Cricket said:

more applicable if you transpose the two words it is made from? 

🥷

Alongside the Bengals fans banners reading ...

"Today's game will lack a happy ending"

We can now add ...

"Deshaun over cummed alot to be here"

Archived