Keeping our enemies close

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Could they (NFL or Cleveland) void his contract?

Much as I dislike Cleveland this seems to be the most fair option to them.

Like it or not, they would be stuck with Mayfield for a year after having burned their bridges

but they would not suck for five years in cap Hell.  I don't think the NFL would like having a

lame duck team for the next few years.

Lame duck team? Ahh, they've been a lame duck team for most of the last 20 years. What's 5 more?

I do get what you are say, just making a joke at a much disliked rival team.

There is another factor in all of this that doesn't get nearly enough attention. I don't think it should be a factor in a league/players tug of war with Watson, but that doesn't mean it won't be. The fact that Watson, for a bunch of different reasons all working in his favor, got an eyepopping 230 million in guaranteed money. The players are already hoping it sets a new precedent for future contracts. 

NFL Players Association president JC Tretter has already celebrated Watson's reportedly fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million deal as a potential "turning point" in NFL contract negotiations.

The owners absolutely hate that Watson got 230 mil in guaranteed money, knowing that the agents for franchise QBs like Burrow and Herbert are already hoping to use Watson's contract as a model for their clients. I'm also sure that Goodell hates the fact that Watson's agent also protected his client by having the contract backloaded after 2022, the year he is most likely to have to serve his suspension without pay. 

So I think the players could be worried that Goodell and the owners could well punish Watson's contract as well as the QB, and might be willing to fight this even harder than usual because they don't want that fully guaranteed "dream" contract to be diminished or sort of nullified in any way by owners trying to make sure that Watson's contract is an outlier with an asterisk rather than a precedent setter. 

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Like it or not, they would be stuck with Mayfield for a year after having burned their bridges

but they would not suck for five years in cap Hell.  I don't think the NFL would like having a

NFL only cares as far as it damages the brand, at the point where the bad PR has faded enough to cost them less than subsidizing the Browns they will throw them a life preserver & let him apply to rejoin the league if he does reeducation camp & pinky-promises to stop taking his dick out in crowded elevators.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mbjiojilzlmwnf80fg

11 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Kraft was arrested for patronizing a spa with trafficked sex workers. Watson hasn't been arrested for anything.

No, Kraft was arrested and charged with soliciting a prostitute which is a misdemeanor in Florida.  

He was not charged with intentionally going to a spa he knew had women that were part of a sex trafficking ring to solicit sex.  Intent is a huge part of any criminal charge. 

It was later determined the women were not victims of sex trafficking anyways.  

The investigator on the case had improperly obtained a holdover from 9/11 called a “sneak and peek” search warrant which were only to be used in the case of national security. That is why the video evidence was inadmissible.  

Kraft didn’t force himself on anyone. 

Kraft asked 1 masseuse for a happy ending, while Watson assaulted 24-26 women by poking them with his dick, trying to force their mouth onto his penis, ejaculating on to them as they tried to escape the room etc.

The situations are not comparable at all. Watson is a serial predator, unsafe to leave around women in an NFL facility. While Kraft was a horny old man who inquired if a tug was part of his concensual service.

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

part of his concensual service

It's not necessarily consensual, even if she says it is.  Her telling the truth might be risking a beating (or worse) for herself or a loved one.  Just sayin'.  Carry on. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, Kraft was arrested and charged with soliciting a prostitute which is a misdemeanor in Florida.  

He was not charged with intentionally going to a spa he knew had women that were part of a sex trafficking ring to solicit sex.  Intent is a huge part of any criminal charge. 

It was later determined the women were not victims of sex trafficking anyways.  

The investigator on the case had improperly obtained a holdover from 9/11 called a “sneak and peek” search warrant which were only to be used in the case of national security. That is why the video evidence was inadmissible.  

Kraft didn’t force himself on anyone. 

Agreed Kraft didn't force himself on anyone. But he did receive the services for which he paid. The evidence against him was a video tape (without audio). It was excluded in the criminal case because it also included nude images of innocent people who didn't receive the special services. The NFL doesn't have evidentiary rules so they could have punished Kraft if they wanted to. They just didn't want to. They can punish Watson with or without evidence but he at least has a union to represent him. 

One consideration, which I've seen mentioned elsewhere is this is the first case to be handled by Judge Robinson. The league might not want to start off their relationship with her by having Roger overrule her discipline of Watson. 

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Kraft asked 1 masseuse for a happy ending, while Watson assaulted 24-26 women by poking them with his dick, trying to force their mouth onto his penis, ejaculating on to them as they tried to escape the room etc.

The situations are not comparable at all. Watson is a serial predator, unsafe to leave around women in an NFL facility. While Kraft was a horny old man who inquired if a tug was part of his concensual service.

Those are pretty bold claims. Do you have any evidence for them? Tony Buzbee would certainly be glad to see your evidence.

It's a mistake to take the complaints in civil suits at face value. It's like asking people in jail if they are innocent. 

20 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Florio (i know, I know, but he is a lawyer) seems to think there is language in the contract that says they can void it if there were additional cases after the contract was sighed, which with these new ones that just recently came out...

36 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Florio (i know, I know, but he is a lawyer) seems to think there is language in the contract that says they can void it if there were additional cases after the contract was sighed, which with these new ones that just recently came out...

Has Watson received the bonus yet? If he has, I would imagine that it would be hard to void the contract because then you have to recoup those funds. Good luck with that.

Also, if Watson is suspended for the whole year, then does that push the timetable back for the contract to begin until 2023? If so, then the Browns only pay him $1 million next year and they have him until 2027 instead of 2026. 

The scenario that would really screw the Browns would be to suspend him for 15 games, not the full season. That way, the contract kicks in for this year and they're on the hook for the $46 million next year. 

8 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Has Watson received the bonus yet? If he has, I would imagine that it would be hard to void the contract because then you have to recoup those funds. Good luck with that.

Also, if Watson is suspended for the whole year, then does that push the timetable back for the contract to begin until 2023? If so, then the Browns only pay him $1 million next year and they have him until 2027 instead of 2026. 

The scenario that would really screw the Browns would be to suspend him for 15 games, not the full season. That way, the contract kicks in for this year and they're on the hook for the $46 million next year. 

No idea

"Settlement talks"? This isn't a negotiation. Say more like plea bargain and it would be more apropos. Even then, the target of the NFL wrongdoing has nothing to offer the league in return for a "reduced whatever"--unless it is to agree not to appeal anything. 

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

If Watson is suspended for a full season, then his contract "tolls" or is automatically extended by a year. He wouldn't get paid any salary for 2022 would get his 2022 salary for the 2023 season etc. And it would in effect last a year longer. I'd be surprised if he gets a full year off. 

Archived