Keeping our enemies close

Josh Allen is also bulking up like a LB. But I'm not sure that body type is ideal for a NFL QB. In fact, overly muscular arms might hinder passing accuracy (remember Brady Quinn). I would much rather prefer the fit, lean, and athletic Burrow. 

IMG_20220705_215343.jpg

24 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Josh Allen is also bulking up like a LB. But I'm not sure that body type is ideal for a NFL QB. In fact, overly muscular arms might hinder passing accuracy (remember Brady Quinn). I would much rather prefer the fit, lean, and athletic Burrow. 

IMG_20220705_215343.jpg

He will be much improved at pushing himself up off the turf after being sacked.  😎

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

By the way I feel like this is a good indication that Watson is going to play

Watson may play but I don't think it would affect Mayfield's status with the Browns either way. As soon as the trade for Watson was made, all Cleveland bridges with Mayfield were burned to the ground. He was never going to play another down for Cleveland at that point. 

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

By the way I feel like this is a good indication that Watson is going to play

They should have waited another week or two to find out. They don't want Mayfield playing but he's much better than Brissett if Watson is out for the year. 

The trade does give the Browns back whatever cap space Carolina is picking up. Matt Rhule seems to just be collecting bodies at QB and hoping someone can play. Mayfield should win that starting job pretty quickly though.

44 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Don't the Browns play the Panthers in week 1? 

Hobo vs TBA

I doubt Baker gets the nod day 1.   Darnold has been there a year, has been at all the OTAs, and is getting paid more. It’s really his job to lose and my guess is the Panthers locker room will take Darnold over Mayfield right now.  

The Panthers went all in on McCaffrey which was a dumb mistake.  Running backs are a dime a dozen and often hurt. 

Reports: Panthers do not intend to trade Sam Darnold

Posted by Myles Simmons on July 6, 2022, 5:31 PM EDT

The Panthers brought in the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft on Wednesday, acquiring quarterback Baker Mayfield from the Browns.

They already had the No. 3 overall pick from the same draft in Sam Darnold. It doesn’t look like they’re going to give him up anytime soon.

According to multiple reporters on the Panthers beat, Carolina has no intention of trading Darnold after adding Mayfield.

That sets up a potential competition between Mayfield and Darnold to be the Panthers’ QB1 to open the season. But with Mayfield coming in on July 6, Darnold clearly isn’t seen as a long-term solution.

Darnold got off to a hot start with the Panthers in 2021 but cooled off quickly before missing time due to injury. He ended the season 4-7 as a starter, having completed 59.9 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Darnold also rushed for 222 yards and five touchdowns but had nine fumbles.

With the word getting put out by the Panthers that they have “no intention” to trade Darnold, a team could potentially swoop in and present an offer Carolina can’t refuse. But there hasn’t been any chatter about a team being interested in Darnold to this point. Given his performance over his first four seasons, it’s understandable that he would not have much of a market.

Darnold is slated to make $18.86 million in 2022 — the same as Mayfield before the Panthers’ newest QB agreed to a pay cut to facilitate the trade.

Archived