Bengals at Titans Divisional Post-game thoughts thread (good/bad/ugly)

8 minutes ago, Griever said:

What the Hell did Apple do to earn the taunting call?  He barely leaned over Tannehill…and could possibly be seeing if he was okay (probably NOT doing that), but he didn’t appear to be “barking” at him…and the nearest ref was ten yards away.  

7 minutes ago, Cricket said:

What the Hell did Apple do to earn the taunting call?  He barely leaned over Tannehill…and could possibly be seeing if he was okay (probably NOT doing that), but he didn’t appear to be “barking” at him…and the nearest ref was ten yards away.  

That's the thing, the refs just "decide" it was taunting, even when they don't know what was said or anything, and other times they just shrug and say "eh it's football" when obvious taunting it going on.  It's a horrible rule because it's far too subjective.  

As for what Apple actually said or why he stood over him, I think he was just pissed off at Tannehill for going for a head shot on Hilton out of frustration.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Not all. But a lot. Dunno - burrow said the Titans did a great job disguising coverages and they blitzed way more than they had all year and ran some new stunts not on tape. Vrabel is a Belichick tree guy, and that is pretty much the reason I was glad to avoid the Pats in round 1. Belichick makes things fucking hard on young QBs. Vrabel basically did the same thing. Burrow managed it quite well. I got the impression he decided to eat the ball rather than force it if in doubt and take sacks instead. I would guess with this on film if they played TN again it would look quite different. 

As for Hendrickson, he was held a LOT, they just didn't call shit. Hubbard was strong in run game. Looked to me like line was working hard to contain Tannehill and not let him have alleys to run. 

The reason he had to eat it so much is because more often than not his receivers had their backs to him as they were running out to their routes. The coaching staff has to gameplan for their suck o-line. Do more 3 step drop stuff and get the ball out of Joe's hands. Hope our wonderful skill players can juke and make a guy miss. They need to do this before the game next week

This doesn't deserve a "Bad" and honestly I hate to be complaining at all since I'm still in a state of euphoria...but...I wish Tee would realize his potential in terms of his ability and size.  He had a really good game, racked up lots of yards, made some plays (7 recs for 96 yards)...but...still too many times where he doesn't secure and complete a contested catch...yesterday and some previous games too...not drops really, but dude could play a bit more physical, in-charge, and confident.  Also with his size he could truck some defenders after a catch but seems to go down too easy for his size at times.  I know, probably being too critical, especially in light of everything, but I just think he could take his skills to a bit higher level.

The "Ugly" I have is admitting that when the Titans were driving at the end of the game, the insult/irony/injury of Fat Randy beating us on a last second FG rattled thru my brain.  I couldn't believe my eyes when Apple broke up that pass and Wilson grabbed it.  I literally cried.  "Believe!" is kinda hard for some of us old-timers who have been disappointed time and time again, but I'm getting there.

Still in amazement...Defense gets the ball back...JB/Chase/Offense gets them in FG range...MoneyMac/SpecialTeams ends it.  What a finish by all 3 phases!

While I'm at it, I agree with MontanaBengal on Bengals getting credit...pissed me off that most were blaming Tannehill for the loss instead of giving Bengals D credit.  Those interceptions, especially the first two, were on great plays by the Bengals D, not due to bad throws or inept QB.  On the first one, Bates made one helluva read, closed a big gap, and make a huge play to get that interception.  Likewise on the Hilton interception...sure Tannehill could have lofted it higher, but Hilton got into that position to begin with to make the play, timed it perfectly, and had the concentration to come up with the pick.  Again, great D plays, no inept QB at least IMHO.  I admit the last interception was more on Tannehill throwing into traffic, but still not the worst throw in the world either, and 9/10 times the ball lands on the ground.  I'd be pissed if I was a Tannehill fan with all the blame he's getting, and I'm pissed as a Bengal fan that our D isn't getting more credit for their efforts.

Good

Joe Burrow being resilient 

Joe Mixon

Chase

Uzomah

The entire defense

Money Mac

Bad

Apple's taunting play, thankfully he redeemed himself at the end. 

Flowers on their kick return

Ugly

9 sacks. Some of it was on Joe and credit to the Titans they did things that he was not expecting and took away his strength to read pre and post snap. Hell of a job by their D coordinator..... but most of it was on the Oline, 2 more games and I'm gonna be worried the entire time. This team has even an average line and it's a super bowl winning team.  

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Replace the entire Oline?

Is the Rich Eisen Overreaction Monday already on?

We need a few guys but the entire line? Or even 4 of them? 

Come on....

Agreed…they had a rough game but this is an overreaction. Burrow said they had new looks that weren’t on film, and two sacks were on Burrow. Another “sack” was when Burrow pulled it down and tried to run and the spot put him behind the line so they credited a sack but it wasn’t really a sack. 

Jonah is fine, Spain only gave up one sack, and the other three will likely look for upgrades or maybe Reiff resigns. Hopkins will also have an entire off-season removed from surgery and can train differently, I expect him to come back better. 

32 minutes ago, palmer4mvp said:

Agreed…they had a rough game but this is an overreaction. Burrow said they had new looks that weren’t on film, and two sacks were on Burrow. Another “sack” was when Burrow pulled it down and tried to run and the spot put him behind the line so they credited a sack but it wasn’t really a sack. 

Jonah is fine, Spain only gave up one sack, and the other three will likely look for upgrades or maybe Reiff resigns. Hopkins will also have an entire off-season removed from surgery and can train differently, I expect him to come back better. 

Jonah Williams is fine like when your wife tells you “it’s fine.”   Only saving grace for Williams is that there are three starters worse than he is.  

4 hours ago, tibor75 said:

A real kicker with ice in his veins.  Not whatever crap previous kickers like Nugent or Garbage Graham had.

So were all the sacks on the OL?  Shouldn't they have made adjustments?  Roll Burrow out more?  More hot reads to Uzomah or a WR screen?  

I seriously can't believe how good Eli "Golden" Apple is playing.   I seem to remember that his problems in NY/NJ was all mental.  I guess he always had the talent. 

Bates finally coming to play in the post-season

Hendrickson and Hubbard didn't do much yesterday, did they?

they werent bringing heavy blitzes, they brought 4.. and occasionally 5, allowing them to drop 6 constantly, you think hot reads are open with 6 guys in coverage?

we couldnt very well play action with our .9 YPC in the first half either to keep the linebackers honest, that defense strangths were a flawless fit to our weakness, with that many dropping you need time for routes to develope, quick hit passes would be into a crowd in most cases... the only adjustment i thought of was doing 6 linemen instead of a TE/RB but then thats one less guy to cover as well. 6 dropping back for 3 going to routes = everyone can be double teamed.  which is pretty much what it felt like

42 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Well, you're already saying we need to replace three spots, and we need backups for those spots as well. Spain is in his 30's. Williams is either going to need to be paid or replaced soon. Are you excited about resigning "fine"?

Reiff, a vet Center, and 2 draft picks is 4 spots. I've been clamoring for it in other threads for weeks, so not just a reaction to one bad game. If anything the Raiders performance gave me some hope that was dashed yesterday.

Realistically they need a RT, whether that is a free agent or they move Jonah over there if they get Orlando Brown. Like I said, Hopkins is likely to come back stronger and has shown he is at least average if not a little above average. RG becomes less of a problem if both the C and RT are higher quality.  Spain has had a good year and 30 isn’t old. Draft two guys and whoever loses the battle in training camp becomes backups that have starting experience. Just my two cents. 

even the teams with the best OL don’t have five Anthony Munoz playing. 

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

RT, C, Competition at G, backup RT/G. Who is backing up Jonah?

This I agree with RT, C, and someone to keep Carman working for the spot. 

I thought D'Ante Smith did decent against Cleveland's starters in the final game. 

37 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This I agree with RT, C, and someone to keep Carman working for the spot. 

I thought D'Ante Smith did decent against Cleveland's starters in the final game. 

They should have a good understanding in what they have with the 3 recent OL picks - Cartman, Hill and Smith. They should by now know thier potential and work effort to get there and finally how long it will take to get there. Having sid that, they need help still obviously and free agency and the upcoming draft should address that. 

5 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Taunting call.  I think by the letter of the rule it was a taunting penalty, but... I've been paying very close attention to try and see anything that looks like taunting since Bell got his last one, including in non-Bengal games.  You wouldn't believe some of the shit I've seen that gets ignored.  Example:  Pats-Bills, some Pats guy got in the face of a Bills player and did the "cry face" (twisting his fists on his eyes) and it wasn't subtle, short or away from the play.  Ignored.  This rule has to go away, it's just way too inconsistently called.

The whole point of that rule is it allows the refs to affect the game for viewing figures/NY demands. Why would they remove a rule designed to be murky?

3 minutes ago, VonBlade said:

The whole point of that rule is it allows the refs to affect the game for viewing figures/NY demands. Why would they remove a rule designed to be murky?

I can see that.

Like the tip of a ball hitting the ground even with the guy's hands around it being called an interception.

And not calling it when Joe Burrow took two pretty good shots including one aimed at his knees on dead ball plays.

And the aforementioned holding of Hendrickson and Hubbard.

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Reiff, at this point, is gone next year. Even if we bring him back, we need to be grooming his backup.

Adjeni and Carman have both "struggled" at Guard. Might as well let someone else fight for their job.

Neither of our Centers even make the line calls. Injuries are one thing, both seem to not get the mental part of being an NFL center. Need to get Burrow "that guy" who reduces his cognitive load.

LG Spain has been serviceable, but he's old. Need to see if a young guy plays better.

Jonah Williams is extremely mediocre. He has a 5th year option coming up and then we have to pay him. Is he going to be worth starting LT money?? With plenty of cap room, protecting Joe's blindside isn't a priority?

Hill, Johnson, Adjeni, Prince, and Hopkins should all be working hard in the offseason to avoid the Practice Squad.

Judging by regular season this was the leagues second worst O-Line. I don't think anyone's job should be safe.

Spain is 30, you can get at least 3 more years out of him.

Jonha has played basically 2 years seeing that he missed his rookie year. He can still get better but I don't agree that we already need to replace him. Lets see how it plays out.

Carman has at least shown signs of doing some good things, I suspect with more snaps (and as bad as Adjeni was yesterday, I'm not opposed to him getting some now) he will continue to grow into the role, but I'm not opposed to bringing a guy in to make him compete for it.

Hopkins has been up and down all year, but I'm ready to get a long term solution here. 

I agree we need to get a RT this offseason as well.

Archived