Bengals at Chiefs (AFC Championship Week Notes/Thoughts/News Thread)

1 minute ago, Montana Bengal said:

I watched this dude the other week after the Raiders win and him comparing him to Sanchez and said people will get tired of him 

It was such a hot take that Burrow could light a cigar with it.

7 hours ago, membengal said:

Checking ahead of time - lots of news via press conferences and the on-field obs of reporters (for the first 30 minutes of practice) today - if I have time as it is going down while at work - do you all want me to paste them in here like I had been doing or does that instead screw up the thread for folks (per Amish). 

Post dammit!

Your input has been invaluable.

Hell, the Amish don't even have the internet............

Re: the references earlier about Burrow's helmet comms going out during the Titans game and him calling some plays - Morrison with the details:

https://theathletic.com/3095022/2022/01/26/inaudible-audibles-even-radio-silence-couldnt-stop-joe-burrow-from-reaching-afc-title-game/

For a young quarterback playing in the first road playoff game of his NFL career, the idea of the communications system in his helmet failing as the din from 69,000 shakes the senses might be viewed as maddening, maybe even terrifying.

But not Joe Burrow. The second-year Bengals quarterback was in that situation for the first time ever Saturday during the team’s 19-16 divisional playoff win against the Titans, and he found it thrilling.

“That was kind of exciting for me,” Burrow said. “Zac (Taylor) always kind of jokes that, ‘Hey, don’t pretend like the headset goes out so you can call your own plays.’ But on Saturday the headset did go out.”

The malfunction began midway through the team’s final drive of the first half with the game tied 6-6. Having moved from their own 25 to the 39, the Bengals were facing second-and-9. Burrow cupped his ears in the huddle, thinking the crowd noise was drowning out the radio communication, but then he turned to the bench and gives a subtle shake of the head to let head coach Zac Taylor know he can’t hear any of the play calls.

He started to run to the sideline to get the call in person, but the game clock and play clock were running, and the Bengals only had one timeout remaining.

Burrow did a U-turn and headed back to the huddle to call his own play. With the play clock down to one, Trey Hopkins triggered the snap, and Burrow hit Tee Higgins on an out-breaking route along the right sideline for 15 yards and a first down.

On the next play, Taylor sent wide receiver Tyler Boyd in from the sideline for tight end Drew Sample, but it wasn’t a messenger situation. Boyd entered the huddle a few players away from Burrow without saying a word to him. Burrow called his own play on first-and-10.

Tight end C.J. Uzomah and wide receivers Ja’Marr Chase, Boyd and Higgins all ran quick routes short of the first-down marker, but Burrow felt the pocket collapse and dumped off a check down to Joe Mixon two yards behind the line of scrimmage. Mixon got up field for a four-yard gain, setting up second-and-6 at the Tennessee 42.

CBS cameras cut to the sideline, showing Taylor pacing, not even bothering to look at his call sheet. Unlike Burrow, this wasn’t the first time Taylor had been through this. It wasn’t even the first time he had been through it with one of the quarterbacks on the field Saturday.

“When we were in Miami, it felt like the headset went out all the time,” Taylor said. “(Ryan) Tannehill would have to do that. You always have to be prepared for that.”

Burrow was. After the dump off to Mixon, he got the team to the line without huddling, then audibled away from his initial call. He walked out to the right to make sure Uzomah, Higgins and Boyd had the call.

He called for the snap with eight seconds left on the game clock and rifled a pass to Higgins streaking up the seam. Higgins caught it at the 29 and took it down to the 20.

Higgins fumbled as he hit the ground with 2:28 remaining, but the ball squirted directly to Chase, who got tackled with 2:22 remaining. There was plenty of time to get lined up for another play before the two-minute warning, but Burrow retired as play-caller for the day and headed to the sideline to get the backup helmet while the clock was still ticking down.

“I had to call three or four plays on my and all of them worked,” Burrow said Wednesday. “So that was fun.”

“Fun” might not be the word Taylor would have picked, but the experience added another entry to the list of things that have impressed him about Burrow over the last two seasons.

“Joe did a really good job,” he said. “He did a great job managing that, finding completions for us. You really like that because you get a window into his brain on what he really likes in that go-to moment. There was no surprises there, but he found his completions. He helped us move the ball down the field.”

Burrow took sacks on two of the three plays after the two-minute warning, the second of which moved the Bengals from Tennessee to 24 to the 36, forcing Evan McPherson to attempt a 54-yard field goal instead of one from 42.

But McPherson nailed it from nearly the same spot where he would hit the 52-yard game-winner about two hours later.

And while Burrow was done calling plays for the game, it might not be too long before he finds himself back in that role, either by accident or by design.

“It’s something we’ll always be looking to as further seasons go and he gets even more experience in the league,” Taylor said. “That’s something you want the quarterback to be able to go out there and call a four- or five-play sequence and keep the defense on their heels and let Joe assess what’s going on defensively and get us into the right looks.

“You don’t always want to do that because he’s gotta go through a physical play and you gotta be thinking then you gotta process, ‘OK, what’s the down and distance, do we run or pass here?'” Taylor continued. “But I think it was good in the dose that he did it. It’s certainly something in the future that he’ll have the freedom to do and do for longer stretches than he’s done at points this year.”

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Neither did anybody else. Didn't he do the same thing during Palmer's rise?

https://www.bengals.com/news/boomer-savoring-the-ride-i-didn-t-realize-how-much-of-a-bengals-fan-i-still-was

Ftom the article:  “He's gunning to put the Bengals in their first Super Bowl since Esiason no-huddled a 21-10 victory over future Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly's Bills at old Riverfront Stadium for the 1988 AFC championship.”

[Im old, and may not recall all details correctly, but…]

Hey, Hobson, Boomer did NOT “no-huddle” that win because the NFL changed the rules just before the game and didn’t allow it.”  The no-huddle offense returned the next year (?), “invented” by Bills’ coach Marc Levy.

26 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Ftom the article:  “He's gunning to put the Bengals in their first Super Bowl since Esiason no-huddled a 21-10 victory over future Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly's Bills at old Riverfront Stadium for the 1988 AFC championship.”

[Im old, and may not recall all details correctly, but…]

Hey, Hobson, Boomer did NOT “no-huddle” that win because the NFL changed the rules just before the game and didn’t allow it.”  The no-huddle offense returned the next year (?), “invented” by Bills’ coach Marc Levy.

My poor recollection is that the league tried to ban it, but after protests from Wyche and the Bengals it was allowed. 

And Marv Levy is/was a whiny bitch. 

Archived