Bengals at Chiefs (AFC Championship Week Notes/Thoughts/News Thread)

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

My poor recollection is that the league tried to ban it, but after protests from Wyche and the Bengals it was allowed. 

And Marv Levy is/was a whiny bitch. 

Weirdest damn thing ever. It wasn’t so much the league “banning the no-huddle” on game day of that championship game, it was the alteration to it which was shit:

The Bengals ran to the line quickly during the NH offense, forcing teams to go with what they had on the field, or getting subs in before the ball was snapped. They routinely caught teams with too many men on the field

Levy’s bitch was that it “wasn’t fair” for the Bengals to not allow their subs to get in before the play ran. “Against the spirit of the game” as I recall the complaint. The league then said “OK…you Bengals have to wait until BUF puts in their subs, then you can snap”

Sam brilliantly countered it, by waiting until the BUF subs started to come on, then sending out a counter group of subs, and running a different play. The league never addressed this part, so BUF was stuck with their now-out of position subs in against what Sam had intended to run all along. Worked great. 

I’m not sure if there is a no-huddle rule like that still in place any longer?

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

My poor recollection is that the league tried to ban it, but after protests from Wyche and the Bengals it was allowed. 

And Marv Levy is/was a whiny bitch. 

they were allowed a slowed down version of it against the bills , and then yes next year the bills came out with their K Gun offense and everyone called it the newest innovation of offense.  when it was just what they cried about during the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Former Bengal and Chief Sean Smith calls Cheeto hot garbage :lol:

Chiefs News: Former DT Shaun Smith slams Bengals’ Chidobe Awuzie - Cincy Jungle

did he ever make the starting line up here? and if he couldnt beat out some of the scrubs we've had here who is he to call someone garbage. 

Games played: 102
Total tackles: 244
Sacks: 4.0
Forced fumbles:

9 yr career  cowboys, waived , cardinals waived, PS then released saints released after getting food in the press box while deactivated. bengals didnt match clevelands offer sheet, then cut for fight with brady quinn. ,, Lion released after violating performance drug policy suspension . bengals for 2-3 weeks , KC where he was accused of grabing private parts by opposing players and finef by the league.  then to titians where he showed up the 2nd year in TC overweight and under performed. they took a cap hit and released him .  oh yes this man knows his garbage he spent his whole career performing at that level. 

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I’m not sure if there is a no-huddle rule like that still in place any longer?

the rule is now if you substitute on offense the ref will stand on the ball till the def has time to make substitutions not sure of the time allowed 

16 minutes ago, Mikeslumina said:

Skip said at end of this segment burrow would be more special than maholmes

maholmes is best qb obviously but I would take a championship for sure. It’s all talk but it’s nice to have burrow. 

They are both in the elite calss, it is like saying 'who is the best rock guitartist' and you get various opinions. In the end, number of championships won kind of rules the day much majors in golf and tennis. 

2 hours ago, stryker57 said:

the rule is now if you substitute on offense the ref will stand on the ball till the def has time to make substitutions not sure of the time allowed 

Got it. Not too different from the Levy Rule. 

Like I said, Sam ran his end-around of this brilliantly. I will always remember--laughing--watching Norman race the offense to the line..pointing frantically and the offense getting to the ball like hair on fire. Bills were frantically sending and bringing out situational players. They would get on...and virtually immediately, a different set of Bengal players would race out and others would run off. It was like some crazy dance. Play would get off and almost always the Bills defense would be out of position due to the Bengal substitution. I recall Levy was screaming at the ref on one series because he wanted to send out second substitutions but they told him no. 

Seems like, anymore, what is called a "no-huddle" or "hurry up" offense, isn't really all that fast. A lot of check-outs in plays at the line, etc. What the Bengals ran back then, was truly fast-break.    

48 minutes ago, saphead said:

If I've learned anything this week it's that 'Chiefs fans' are the St Louis Cardinals fans of the NFL, (insufferable douche nozzles). 

Oh and aRroWHeAd is the lowdest staydee-um in the world bRo!!!!! 858 decibels bro!

Love it 😆

Archived