Bengals at Chiefs (AFC Championship Week Notes/Thoughts/News Thread)

As far as the game this week, I hate to say that I think this is the end of the road. But I didn't think we would beat KC the first time. And I didn't think we would make the playoffs before the season started. I could very well be wrong again. If we do win, I will pray that we don't play the rams. That would be a nightmarish match-up.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

As far as the game this week, I hate to say that I think this is the end of the road.

In a broken clock being correct twice a day calculation, I tend to agree. 

The bravado will flow like rivers this week, and rightfully so. It beats talking about what is normally talked about this time of year. 

For the first time in seemingly forever, I am actually enjoying football again. People I know who rarely notice, are commenting on this upcoming game. Some are even planning parties for it. It’s Monday, and things are wonderful. Savor the week. 

I suspect it's the end of the road as well, but then I did not expect us to beat the Chiefs last time, or make it this deep into the playoffs. I thought there was a good chance given the matchups but at the onset of the year I thought we'd be the 7 seed and maybe win one playoff game.

Whatever happens, and I'm obviously hoping for the best, this team is extremely close to holding up that Lombardi. We can't rest on what we already have though, lots of work still left to do to build out that roster.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

For some reason, a lot of people on here takes giving credit to anybody other than Burrow as a slight on Burrow. Burrow has been good in the playoffs so far, but not great. The defense has gotten us where we are. That clutch play to Chase was obviously great and I was almost certain when we got the ball, that was going to happen. But the defense got us the ball. And Mac? Wow, just wow! And where would we be without Chase?

As far as Zac, the game last night shows how genius he was in the KC win keeping Mahomes off the field. Hopefully he can do more of the same this week.

Burrow has been a big part of the success, but it has been a total team effort. Look at some of the great statistical QBs. Peyton Manning, Elway, Marino. Manning and Elway put up huge numbers for years before they finally won a Super Bowl. Their teams finally filled in the missing gaps to go all the way. And Marino never got there.

If we win a Super Bowl this year or whenever, it's going to take more than Burrow. That's just common sense.

It's really this simple.  If you get rid of Burrow for an average QB would they be where they are now?  Hell, no.  If you get rid of Taylor for an average NFL head coach would they be where they are now?  Maybe. 

It does start and end with Burrow.  Even Uzomah calls Burrow "Franchise."  The players know.  That doesn't diminish what Taylor is doing.  A good QB is always way more important than a head coach. 

Lifelong Chiefs fan here and just checked a couple boards with some typical logins and found I had posted here a long time ago, probably when we played each other.

Should be a great game.  I love the rivalry that is building with Mahomes and Allen, and I hope the same kind of relationship comes with Burrow.  You guys deserve it as a fan base.  With your offensive weapons available the next several years, the team can easily focus on drafting O-Line and D help and get to a place where the Chiefs and Bills have been the last couple years in my opinion.

Good luck this week and beyond.

Also, I remember being in the stands at Arrowhead in January of 2019, playing the Pats in the AFC Championship and losing the coin toss heading into overtime.  I told my son who was with me and 12 at the time that this playoff loss felt different than the ones of the past.  That while it always seemed so dire in year's past of never getting there, this was only the beginning and we have a ton took look forward to with the future.  Even if the Bengals do fall on Sunday, you guys can walk away with that same sense of optimism going forward.

In the ultimate analysis, every fan base but one goes home unhappy. And, even for those who are happy, it’s fleeting—as the next best thing is constantly being sought. 

“The future” is guaranteed to no one. Way too many variables in the modern game. That is why—while being anticipatory of “good times ahead”—the opportunity to be there again and again, are more hope than certainty .

Savor the week. 

17 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

In the ultimate analysis, every fan base but one goes home unhappy. And, even for those who are happy, it’s fleeting—as the next best thing is constantly being sought. 

“The future” is guaranteed to no one. Way too many variables in the modern game. That is why—while being anticipatory of “good times ahead”—the opportunity to be there again and again, are more hope than certainty .

Savor the week. 

That's thoughtful and deep, seriously.

Are you on shrooms?

20 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Savor the week. 

yeah, I guess it's not that often a team is in the conference championship 4 years in a row.

Archived