Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/07/D8CFH5F00.html"]click here[/url]

[i][b]Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards[/b]
Sep 07 12:17 PM US/Eastern

By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

[b]"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry. [/b]

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials the displaced people need, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

___

Associated Press reporter Suzanne Gamboa contributed to this report. [/i]

[url="http://today.reuters.com/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=uri:2005-09-06T200931Z_01_N0640145_RTRIDST_0_KATRINA-COUNTERFEITS.XML"]click here[/url]

[i][b]Stylish seized clothing headed to refugees[/b]
Tue Sep 6, 2005 4:09 PM ET

HOUSTON, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Three truckloads of fashion clothing seized by government agents for violating import quotas arrived at Houston's Astrodome on Wednesday so Hurricane Katrina refugees there can put it to use.

[b]U.S. Customs and Border Protection delivered about 100,000 items of summer clothing, with an estimated value of $2.3 million, and said much more is on the way to evacuees elsewhere.[/b]

"We normally would either sell this merchandise or destroy it," said Robert Trotter, the agency's director of field operations. "Or we would donate it on a smaller scale."

Some of the items are fakes, but Trotter said most are legitimate.

The hurricane relief operation, aimed at the more than 1 million Gulf Coast residents displaced by Katrina last week, will involve a total of $168 million worth of clothing.

The items delivered on Tuesday, much of it with designer labels like Fubu and Code Blue, were handed to the Red Cross and local church officials who were to distribute it.

[b]"They will be able to tell us specifically what they want and a personal shopper will go back and get it for them," said Mike Firenza of St. Luke's Methodist Church. "It will be one of the finest-dressed shelters that there's ever been."[/b]

The Astrodome, a 40-year-old sports stadium that had fallen into disuse recently, housed about 16,000 refugees on Tuesday. Three other major shelters in Houston housed a total of 10,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Reuters 2005. All rights reserved.[/i]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 7 2005, 01:53 PM'][b]Great Idea with the Cards .... although I would have liked to see that # closer to 5,000 , it is at least a great start. :D [/b]
[right][post="143772"][/post][/right][/quote]

i agree on both points...

Guest sigfox77
[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 7 2005, 03:08 PM']i agree on both points...
[right][post="143814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I think that is a good way to help people in the short term

Sounds like welfare to me.
Thats these refugees problem, they are so used to hand outs.
First $2000, next they'll want 40,000 acres and a mule.
Put them all to work, pay them about $5 an hour. , I'm sure there are some custodial needs
through out the city. Maybe help remove some bodies....something
like that.

It's a start.

But those people need more than just free money and clothes. They just need to pick up whatever that they still have, and leave New Orleans for good. Living in a bowl shaped city that is below sea level is insanity...

If this doesn't force the issue in how this country prepares for disasters, nothing will...

edit: about the sea level comment, I just realized that part of Norfolk is below sea level, including the part of town that I live in. I just pray that we people in Hampton Roads never see anything as powerful as Katrina.

A couple grand is useful, but I don't like the thrust of what's happening. I'm getting the feeling that traditional disaster relief, a government responsibility, is being shifted to the private sector, particularly the so-called faith-based charities, etc...

If so, be prepared for another round of ineptness down the road.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:22 PM']A couple grand is useful, but I don't like the thrust of what's happening. I'm getting the feeling that traditional disaster relief, a government responsibility, is being shifted to the private sector, particularly the so-called faith-based charities, etc...

If so, be prepared for another round of ineptness down the road.
[right][post="143983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
read john stossells book, there is a whole section on why most things in government should be shifted to the private sector. People are more compitant in the private sector because if they fuck up they go out of business, the government doesnt. And the cost is tiny compared to what the government thinks is right.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:47 PM']read john stossells book, there is a whole section on why most things in government should be shifted to the private sector.  People are more compitant in the private sector because if they fuck up they go out of business, the government doesnt.  And the cost is tiny compared to what the government thinks is right.
[right][post="143994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I mostly agree with the notion that the private sector is more competent, but I don’t agree that it’s because the government never goes out of business. The government for the most part is a business. There are two huge gaping holes that cause this problem that I’ve tried to explain but I’m not sure most get.

#1. If you are a government worker, after five years of service it becomes VERY hard to fire you, the paperwork to do so absurd, and the things the person has to legally get before they can be fired is absurd as well, you have to give them career counseling ect.. Now imagine if you will, a person who is hard to fire what they will do and not do on their job if they have that kind of security, I’ve seen people sleep, duck out of meetings to go make EBay Bids, leave meetings to go take their mandatory break ect ect... Imagine what that in turn does to the productivity of Government and how it becomes hard to get anything done. People need a healthy fear of losing their job in order to be productive. (Assuming its not what they love to do, if they do love it, this issue isn’t a issue at all, but we all know not everyone loves what they do.)

#2 The way that congress appropriates their money. If you as a company come in under budge and save the Government money one year, guess what? That savings that you gave them is now assumed that it is your operating costs and you don’t get what you budget was the previous year, you get what you ended up charging them. Imagine what that means to how much waste can go on, if I have money left over after the year do you think I’m going to give that back to the government? Hell no!!! I’ve seen people tell their management to make sure they spend the money. Also look at that budget and think what year will be my largest operating costs, and that usually is what the operating costs become for each year of a contract. More waste.

Fix these two problems and I think you’ll see major change, you’ll see a government that is more efficient at less cost to the taxpayer.

Guest bengalrick
nice insight jaime... i didn't know that about the 5 year thing...

if you don't have the fear of losing your job, then you will certainly not do as well... especially if your not a self-motivating person and wanting to move up from your current position... there has to be a healthy dose of rewards and consiquences to make you a better worker...

i'm not sure if its better to depend on the private sector in this case or not...

Jamie has good points in terms of day-to-day practicalities.

My concern is more at the level of principle. It's ironic to me that many people who hate government, are at the same time super-patriots. Patriotism generally refers to one of two ideas: an idea of "blood and soil" wherein government and power is arbitrary, or an idea of republican self-government, wherein people have a common principled basis for uniting around certain important ideas about humanity and humanity's relationship with the universe at large.

Sadly, most folks younger than me, and my generation to a large extent, too, has been robbed of the fundamentals of a decent education with respect to these sorts of ideas. I'm frustrated that in all the talk about educational reform, etc... that folks almost never talk about pedagogy and curriculum. It's tax dollars per student and mandatory testing and no child left behind and goddammit, the whole time we're turning ourselves into dolts.

Of course, some things are done better in the private sphere. Likewise, some things are better done in the public sphere. The trick is, to know the difference on the basis of reason and not on the basis of some ideological prejudices.

A whole region of our country has been torn to hell and it's going to take a concerted effort to put it back on its feet. We're citizens, we can act privately and publically to get the job done. But, as I said before, LIKE WARFARE, disaster relief is primarily a government-directed affair.

These cards are a horrilble idea.

I'd be okay with vouchers for sundries that are appropriate for these peoples needs for survival, and relocation.

But a debit card is 99% as good as cash these days, and, if you are an enterprising young man - I'll call a spade a spade here - a husltin' n**** - then you can turn your $2000 debit card into $800 to $1200 in cash. This is the same shit that plagued the welfare system for the longest time.

I'd love to own a hood liquor store near the Astrodome right now. Or, have the infrastructure to sell major crack and marijuana in Houston.

These people have been accepting and expecting handouts as a condition of their culture. This storm hasn't changed any of that.

Really, all that Katrina has done is ripped off the scab that was New Orleans and let the world see the festering, rotten, dieseased human waste that has been developing unto itself for the last 30 years.

There's a lot of excuses for a lot of people out there. Fine. But the fact is, if 1 person listened to the weatherman and and heeded the warnings, and and evacuated, then it's we can say there was ample warning. And that did happen.

Behavior speaks louder than words, and the evacuees, or refugees, or what ever you want to call the displaced former residents of NOLA are showing the world how much the appreciate the assistance everyday. Shooting at aid workers, rapes and murders in the mass shelter, and refusal of meals because they aren't "hot enough".

Ungrateful bastards. I half wish they'd been washed out to sea.

I have more to say, but at the risk of offending some, I'll stop now, while I'm ahead.

Keith

[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:59 AM']I have more to say, but at the risk of offending some, I'll stop now, while I'm ahead.
[right][post="144246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Please, stop while you are ahead, you racist fucking prick.

[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:59 AM']These cards are a horrilble idea. 

I'd be okay with vouchers for sundries that are appropriate for these peoples needs for survival, and relocation.

But a debit card is 99% as good as cash these days, and, if you are an enterprising young man - I'll call a spade a spade here - a husltin' n**** - then you can turn your $2000 debit card into $800 to $1200 in cash.  This is the same shit that plagued the welfare system for the longest time.

I'd love to own a hood liquor store near the Astrodome right now.  Or, have the infrastructure to sell major crack and marijuana in Houston.

These people have been accepting and expecting handouts as a condition of their culture.  This storm hasn't changed any of that.

Really, all that Katrina has done is ripped off the scab that was New Orleans and let the world see the festering, rotten, dieseased human waste that has been developing unto itself for the last 30 years.

There's a lot of excuses for a lot of people out there.  Fine.  But the fact is, if 1 person listened to the weatherman and and heeded the warnings, and and evacuated, then it's we can say there was ample warning.  And that did happen.

Behavior speaks louder than words, and the evacuees, or refugees, or what ever you want to call the displaced former residents of NOLA are showing the world how much the appreciate the assistance everyday.  Shooting at aid workers, rapes and murders in the mass shelter, and refusal of meals because they aren't "hot enough".

Ungrateful bastards.  I half wish they'd been washed out to sea.

I have more to say, but at the risk of offending some, I'll stop now, while I'm ahead.

Keith
[right][post="144246"][/post][/right][/quote]

Sounds like the same thing I said. :) Looks like I'm pretty good at blending in. I will admit, thinking like this is so much quicker and easier, and you dont have to use brain nearly as much. Everyone say hello to the new sneaky.
Die ungrateful bastards. Die!

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 01:59 AM']These cards are a horrilble idea. 

But a debit card is 99% as good as cash these days, and, if you are an enterprising young man - I'll call a spade a spade here - a husltin' n**** - then you can turn your $2000 debit card into $800 to $1200 in cash.  This is the same shit that plagued the welfare system for the longest time.

I'd love to own a hood liquor store near the Astrodome right now.  Or, have the infrastructure to sell major crack and marijuana in Houston.

These people have been accepting and expecting handouts as a condition of their culture.  This storm hasn't changed any of that.

There's a lot of excuses for a lot of people out there.  Fine.  But the fact is, if 1 person listened to the weatherman and and heeded the warnings, and and evacuated, then it's we can say there was ample warning.  And that did happen.

Behavior speaks louder than words, and the evacuees, or refugees, or what ever you want to call the displaced former residents of NOLA are showing the world how much the appreciate the assistance everyday.  Shooting at aid workers, rapes and murders in the mass shelter, and refusal of meals because they aren't "hot enough".

Ungrateful bastards.  I half wish they'd been washed out to sea.

Keith
[right][post="144246"][/post][/right][/quote]

Wow ! :blink:

You are painting those people with an awful wide brush.
It is racist, idiotic and asinine to think that "every" person
there is the way you "think" they are.

Anyway I agree with Homer ... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick
keith... wow....

you need to open up a little bit, b/c for every scum bag that will use there money for drugs or what have you, there are many more that will be using this money for food, shelter, and clothes...

like old said, you can't paint people w/ a broad brush...

look man, i am also not for handing out money, but THESE PEOPLE JUST LOST EVERYTHING!!! they are sleeping the astrodome or other shelters and can't even enjoy their own privacy... is this a form of welfare... actually no imo... the people that are getting welfare are still going to get welfare... the people that were working their ass off, now has to depend on unemployment, and that should be fun since the people are spread out all acrossed the country... this isn't welfare, this is getting people to a form of normalcy... these kids need to go to school, and they need a new backpack, paper, pencils, pens, you name it... they LOST EVERYTHING... the parents deserve to actually sleep on an uncomfortable hotel bed (which probably feels like a postorpedic bed to them, compared to what they have been sleeping on)... we have to get these people able to get off their feet...

i have to say, i was offended reading your post and i've always thought you were a cool dude... i still do, but to someone that may not have had an opinion on you man, they do now... if i were you, i'd kindly ask those that replyed to your post to take that out of their post and delete your own... its rather embarrassing considering the race threads that are going around here and telling people that we are trying to turn a corner w/ the race issues... that post doesn't help much of anything...

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 8 2005, 09:42 AM']Keith is right.
You guys need to stop aiding the victim mentality of these refugees. :rant:
[right][post="144352"][/post][/right][/quote]

Oh so people that lost EVERYTHING to a natural
disaster aren`t victims ?

He is acting like EVERYONE that is getting help
now is/was a welfare case, a drug dealer or
a a husltin' n****...That isn`t "right"...it`s moronic
and racist !

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:56 AM']Oh so people that lost EVERYTHING to a natural
disaster aren`t victims ?
He is acting like EVERYONE that is getting help
now is/was a welfare case, a drug dealer or
a  a husltin' n****...That isn`t "right"...it`s moronic
and racist !
[right][post="144358"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm tired of refugees and refugee lovers calling people racist!
Like Keith said .........

"[color="red"]These people have been accepting and expecting handouts as a condition of their culture. This storm hasn't changed any of that.

Really, all that Katrina has done is ripped off the scab that was New Orleans and let the world see the festering, rotten, dieseased human waste that has been developing unto itself for the last 30 years[/color]."

I agree. I think this hurricane may have been a blessing in disguise. It has removed the "scabs" that hurt this country. Maybe more catastrophes can wipe out this country's infested areas. In the long run we will be better off for it.
God bless America.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:10 AM']I'm tired of refugees and refugee lovers calling people racist!
Like Keith said .........

"[color=red]These people have been accepting and expecting handouts as a condition of their culture. This storm hasn't changed any of that.
[right][post="144366"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Like I said...that is implying that ALL of the people
that were affected were welfare cases, drug dealers
and hustlin n******. That is moronic and racist.

[quote]Really, all that Katrina has done is ripped off the scab that was New Orleans and let the world see the festering, rotten, dieseased human waste that has been developing unto itself for the last 30 years."

I agree. I think this hurricane may have been a blessing in disguise. It has removed the "scabs" that hurt this country. Maybe more catastrophes can wipe out this country's infested areas. In the long run we will be better off for it.
God bless America.[/quote]

I hope to God that you are posting with sarcasm.
If not ...then hopefully a disaster hits Your`s AND Keith`s
homes...

Archived