Getting everyone on their feet...

Guest bengalrick

What is wrong with the implementation of vouchers vs. debit cards?

You don't have to be black to know how to hustle. I've done my fair share share of hustling back in the day, and these debit cards are the worst thing I could ever see happening to our tax dollars in relation to this disaster.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 01:49 PM']What is wrong with the implementation of vouchers vs. debit cards?

You don't have to be black to know how to hustle.  I've done my fair share share of hustling back in the day, and these debit cards are the worst thing I could ever see happening to our tax dollars in relation to this disaster.
[right][post="144461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

but what should these people do in the mean time, while waiting for their unemployemnt checks, which take around 3 weeks or so in most states, before you can even register for U.E... i'm sure their making exceptions, but they would still have to wait a few weeks for everything to get into place... they have bills...

keith, i can't speak for you, but if something came and split my house into two, and my job was swept away and i no longer had a place to work, i would be screwed... i would have mass bills and no income... what kind of shape would you be in, in the short term, if you lost your house and work int eh same day... reguardless if you stayed to weather the storm or not...

[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 01:49 PM']What is wrong with the implementation of vouchers vs. debit cards?

You don't have to be black to know how to hustle.  I've done my fair share share of hustling back in the day, and these debit cards are the worst thing I could ever see happening to our tax dollars in relation to this disaster.
[right][post="144461"][/post][/right][/quote]

I dont think that part of your point is what these "refugee lovers" had a problem with. Please elaborate to these people about how the "scabs" were removed. Show them what you are made of son. :)

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:10 AM']I'm tired of refugees and refugee lovers calling people racist!
Like Keith said .........

"[color="red"]These people have been accepting and expecting handouts as a condition of their culture. This storm hasn't changed any of that.

Really, all that Katrina has done is ripped off the scab that was New Orleans and let the world see the festering, rotten, dieseased human waste that has been developing unto itself for the last 30 years[/color]."

I agree. I think this hurricane may have been a blessing in disguise. It has removed the "scabs" that hurt this country. Maybe more catastrophes can wipe out this country's infested areas. In the long run we will be better off for it.
God bless America.
[right][post="144366"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

sneaky, you're killing me. We need someone from the "conservative" side to switch over to the extreme liberal side. We must maintain a balance!!!!!

[quote name='sean' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:01 PM']ONYX, you're killing me. We need someone from the "conservative" side to switch over to the extreme liberal side. We must maintain a balance!!!!!
[right][post="144472"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I just find it annoying because its not what he believes, it doesn't foster real debate, and its condescending to those who aren't racist that just simply disagree with the nothing that its about race and have given good reason to believe that.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:05 PM']I just find it annoying because its not what he believes, it doesn't foster real debate, and its condescending to those who aren't racist that just simply disagree with the nothing that its about race and have given good reason to believe that.
[right][post="144476"][/post][/right][/quote]

huh? :blink:

[quote name='ONYX' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:09 PM']huh? :blink:
[right][post="144478"][/post][/right][/quote]

huh? :blink:

Your "sudden switch" to sarcastic tone. It serves no purpose in fostering real debate, its condesending to those of us that arent racist but believe this hurricate failure had nothing to do with race. Its about as usefull as the people who are screaming at each other and talking at each other rather than talking to each other.

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:45 AM']keith... wow....

you need to open up a little bit, b/c for every scum bag that will use there money for drugs or what have you, there are many more that will be using this money for food, shelter, and clothes...

like old said, you can't paint people w/ a broad brush...

look man, i am also not for handing out money, but THESE PEOPLE JUST LOST EVERYTHING!!! they are sleeping the astrodome or other shelters and can't even enjoy their own privacy... is this a form of welfare... actually no imo... the people that are getting welfare are still going to get welfare... the people that were working their ass off, now has to depend on unemployment, and that should be fun since the people are spread out all acrossed the country... this isn't welfare, this is getting people to a form of normalcy... these kids need to go to school, and they need a new backpack, paper, pencils, pens, you name it... they LOST EVERYTHING... the parents deserve to actually sleep on an uncomfortable hotel bed (which probably feels like a postorpedic bed to them, compared to what they have been sleeping on)... we have to get these people able to get off their feet...

i have to say, i was offended reading your post and i've always thought you were a cool dude... i still do, but to someone that may not have had an opinion on you man, they do now... if i were you, i'd kindly ask those that replyed to your post to take that out of their post and delete your own... its rather embarrassing considering the race threads that are going around here and telling people that we are trying to turn a corner w/ the race issues... that post doesn't help much of anything...
[right][post="144331"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I appreciate your kind words. I do my best to articulate my opinions on this board in a manner that's unfiltered, and expect that from all of my "e-friends" that I have found here and other places online, and in real life.

I've never, in my life, been called a racist until now. That may have something to do with the fact that I'm 6'5'' and have always played basketball at a very high level - there's lots of black people that do the same. I've made many good friends in doing so, and I have a liberal arts education. I've never been called racist.

I can see that these people need help. Everyone can. Turn on your television. Look at the paper. It's right there - those people without a well thought out plan of action for when the shit hits the fan (SHTF) are now covered in shit, splattered by the fan.

Now, those people left in the city, the ones screaming "help us, help us"? What number of them do you think were actually looking for a hand up, instead of a hand out? Forget I asked you that - we shouldn't speculate. We don't want to be labeled as racists.

It is hard to not use a broad brush when talking about the situation. I was talking about the people left in the city - let me describe them - black, white, latin, asian, young, old, poor, uneducated, low eduaction levels, nursing home residents, and tourists.

I apologize to the tourists and the nursing home residents. That brush was too broad.

Why not make a large, subsidized purchase of back-to-school supplies, and open a temporary store outside of the Astrodome? Too logistically difficult, you say?

What about vouchers - Wal-Mart, Meijers, and K-Mart. Hell, Wal-Mart has already pledged [url="http://www.walmartfacts.com/community/article.aspx?id=1331"]this.[/url]

So, you see, I'm not the broad brush racist everyone wants you to believe. I'm a 25 year old, hip-hop music fan, critical thinking, conservative minded, pro-2A, Bengals season ticket holder that comes here for community aspect of this BBS.

If my "racist" being is no longer welcome, then I'll leave.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:15 PM']huh?  :blink:  

Your "sudden switch" to sarcastic tone. It serves no purpose in fostering real debate, its condesending to those of us that arent racist but believe this hurricate failure had nothing to do with race. Its about as usefull as the people who are screaming at each other and talking at each other rather than talking to each other.
[right][post="144483"][/post][/right][/quote]

i agree jaime, i think...

to a point, i see what keith is trying to say, but he is saying it all wrong... people that are wanting a handout in normal life (welfare) are a huge "scab" in america imo... but i don't see this as welfare... these people aren't demanding a handout... they are in dire need...

if the "welfare state" thread i started a few days ago, there was a good article... 75% of the people in NO did evacuate... the majority of those left were either handicapped in some way, or living in public housing... read this[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=8652"]thread[/url] and this is what i mean... here is an exerpt:

[i]What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. And they don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men[/i]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:20 PM']I appreciate your kind words.  I do my best to articulate my opinions on this board in a manner that's unfiltered, and expect that from all of my "e-friends" that I have found here and other places online, and in real life. 

I've never, in my life, been called a racist until now.  That may have something to do with the fact that I'm 6'5'' and have always played basketball at a very high level - there's lots of black people that do the same.  I've made many good friends in doing so, and I have a liberal arts education.  I've never been called racist.

I can see that these people need help.  Everyone can.  Turn on your television.  Look at the paper.  It's right there - those people without a well thought out plan of action for when the shit hits the fan (SHTF) are now covered in shit, splattered by the fan.

Now, those people left in the city, the ones screaming "help us, help us"?  What number of them do you think were actually looking for a hand up, instead of a hand out?  Forget I asked you that - we shouldn't speculate.  We don't want to be labeled as racists.

It is hard to not use a broad brush when talking about the situation.  I was talking about the people left in the city - let me describe them - black, white, latin, asian, young, old, poor, uneducated, low eduaction levels, nursing home residents, and tourists.

I apologize to the tourists and the nursing home residents.  That brush was too broad.

Why not make a large, subsidized purchase of back-to-school supplies, and open a temporary store outside of the Astrodome?  Too logistically difficult, you say?

What about vouchers - Wal-Mart, Meijers, and K-Mart.  Hell, Wal-Mart has already pledged [url="http://www.walmartfacts.com/community/article.aspx?id=1331"]this.[/url]

So, you see, I'm not the broad brush racist everyone wants you to believe.  I'm a 25 year old, hip-hop music fan, critical thinking, conservative minded, pro-2A, Bengals season ticket holder that comes here for community aspect of this BBS. 

If my "racist" being is no longer welcome, then I'll leave.
[right][post="144487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

your missing a huge point though keith... all the people from NO will get this, not only the ones that are still there... there is no way to distinguish the "good" from the "bad" people there, so we have to suck it up, and allow these people to get on their feet... it WILL lead to some drugs being bought or what have you, but we have to deal w/ that, so a baby and her single mother have a place to sleep and food to eat... that is important.. if you read my last post, you will see where i stand on this... for the most part, i agree w/ your perception, though i don't see this as a "welfare-type" of program, but more like a "get on your feet" program and that is extremely important right now for so many people...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:53 PM']but what should these people do in the mean time, while waiting for their unemployemnt checks, which take around 3 weeks or so in most states, before you can even register for U.E... i'm sure their making exceptions, but they would still have to wait a few weeks for everything to get into place... they have bills...

keith, i can't speak for you, but if something came and split my house into two, and my job was swept away and i no longer had a place to work, i would be screwed... i would have mass bills and no income... what kind of shape would you be in, in the short term, if you lost your house and work int eh same day... reguardless if you stayed to weather the storm or not...
[right][post="144465"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

This would be VERY DIFFICULT.

However.

These 2k cards do nothing to meet that. The cruise ships, hotel blocks, and section 8 and HUD housing would help that situation, and it it being mobilized.

VOUCHERS - SPECIFIC VOUCHERS!

Not cash, or 1 degree from cash instruments.

This is too easy to defraud! Don't lie to yourself and say that it won't - did looting TV's feed anyone or help them in NOLA? How about fresh Yankee hats?

Don't kid yourselves people! There needs to be tighter restrictions on these things. The first round of them are already out - what's done is done. Here's to hoping the next round will be different.

BTW, bengalrick - Thank you for jumping into the "mini witch-hunt". Your lucid commentary lets the thread continue. Many creditors have suspended accounts for at least 90 days, with reevalutaion after the 90 for the victims of Katrina. GMAC has a plan that you can read about online, but I don't have the link anymore.

Keith

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:42 PM']This would be VERY DIFFICULT.

However.

These 2k cards do nothing to meet that.  The cruise ships, hotel blocks, and section 8 and HUD housing would help that situation, and it it being mobilized.

VOUCHERS - SPECIFIC VOUCHERS!

Not cash, or 1 degree from cash instruments.

This is too easy to defraud!  Don't lie to yourself and say that it won't - did looting TV's feed anyone or help them in NOLA?  How about fresh Yankee hats?

Don't kid yourselves people!  There needs to be tighter restrictions on these things.  The first round of them are already out - what's done is done.  Here's to hoping the next round will be different.

BTW, bengalrick - Thank you for jumping into the "mini witch-hunt".  Your lucid commentary lets the thread continue.  Many creditors have suspended accounts for at least 90 days, with reevalutaion after the 90 for the victims of Katrina.  GMAC has a plan that you can read about online, but I don't have the link anymore.

Keith
[right][post="144506"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i thought i knew what you were trying to say, but you were WAY to blunt on the first run of it... i pretty much agreed w/ you, and i didn't want you to get labeled on here... it might only be a internet message board, but losing it would suck, if it happened to me... that article i posted about the "welfare state" is a good example of what your saying i think... and i agreed w/ most of what was on there... welfare and handouts are a scab on america (i usually use the word crutch) b/c all they do is mask the true problem... if the person would get a job, they would be helping america... instead, they get the same amount of money to sit at home and do nothing, while hurting america...

i can see what your saying and i do wish that specific items/vouchers were handed out... but the response from the white house is they are trying to go through all the bourchracies (sp?) and get this to them asap... doing what your saying would take a few weeks and hopefully they are working on getting something like what your saying, to them around then...

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:15 PM']huh?  :blink:  

[right][post="144483"][/post][/right][/quote]

Dude.....what am I doing wrong now? I am simply toning down my view and trying to blend in, so I can make some new friends. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//angel.gif[/img]

[quote name='ONYX' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:52 PM']Dude.....what am I doing wrong now?  I am simply toning down my view and trying to blend in, so I can make some new friends. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//angel.gif[/img]
[right][post="144510"][/post][/right][/quote]

Sure you are. <_<

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:17 PM'] :(
[right][post="144526"][/post][/right][/quote]

[i]"you ain't gotta lie to kick it"[/i] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 7 2005, 06:37 PM']Sounds like welfare to me.
Thats these refugees problem, they are so used to hand outs.
First $2000,  next they'll want 40,000 acres and a mule.
Put them all to work, pay them about $5 an hour. , I'm sure there are some custodial needs
through out the city. Maybe help remove some bodies....something
like that.
[right][post="143960"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm sick of this "refugees" shit. We're not in fucking Pakistan. And if your whole home and all your belongings were destroyed, the least the gov can do is help you get back on your fuckin feet.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:59 AM']Behavior speaks louder than words, and the evacuees, or refugees, or what ever you want to call the displaced former residents of NOLA are showing the world how much the appreciate the assistance everyday.  Shooting at aid workers, rapes and murders in the mass shelter, and refusal of meals because they aren't "hot enough".

Ungrateful bastards.  I half wish they'd been washed out to sea.

I have more to say, but at the risk of offending some, I'll stop now, while I'm ahead.

Keith
[right][post="144246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The media focuses on the negative. If you truly belive that there's a bunch of people down there doin that crap, then you're dumb as fuck.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:24 PM']i agree jaime, i think...

to a point, i see what keith is trying to say, but he is saying it all wrong...
[right][post="144492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

he's not saying it all wrong, he is wrong. he's one steelers suck ass, dumb fuck.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Sep 8 2005, 06:53 PM']he's not saying it all wrong, he is wrong. he's one steelers suck ass, dumb fuck.
[right][post="144628"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

he's trying to say that if you are handed money, then you don't appreciate it... if you work for your money, you do appreciate it... thats what i'm taking out of what he is saying...

he went too far imo, by saying that they are all the same, and are scumbags... its easy to say that for someone, who hears stories about people shooting at aid workers, stealing tv's and shit like that... what i hope he now realizes, is if one person is doing that, it shines a dark light on all that are down there... and that just isn't right... anytime you paint a broad brush on any sex, race, religion, then your making a huge mistake...

what we all saw on tv, was nobody very few people helping one another... that is mostly the medias fault b/c that is what sells... not people going door to door, to make sure their neighbors are ok... and i'm positive that a whole lot more of that was going on, than people looting and shooting at police and aid workers...

this isn't about race to me... this is about handouts and appreciating what people get... but that was what was wrong BEFORE the hurricane... now, we're in a totally different ballgame...

i agree that these people absolutely deserve this money... i like his idea that vouchers would be better, but that would take too much time and these poor people have waited long enough... therefore, imo i went against my usual position on handouts, and realized that good or bad, these people need a way to get ahead...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 9 2005, 07:08 AM']This thread is proof that beating off too much really does make you go blind.
[right][post="144847"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i'm taken a little back by this comment homer... i did write a smart ass comment, but deleted it after a little more consideration... truthfully, i'd like to hear your take on what is being discussed here, and being a smart ass is a bad way to go about it...

homer, don't you see the extreme problems that happen when giving handouts?? take this current situation out of my question, b/c of course these people need to get back on their feet... but its not americas fault that people are living off welfare acrossed this nation... there are jobs to do, yet these scumbags don't do them... i can understand, for a short period of time, a single mother that needs to take care of their infant... and you might say "don't you feel sorry for them" and to a point, hell yeah i do... on the other hand, i say "you put yourself in that positon... now get yourself out"... is it heartless, yes... but i call it tough love... if nobody would have ever pushed me, i'd be useless as hell right now... thank God, i was pushed in a lot of areas and it has helped me tremendously..

i go back to my original point, its not americas fault these people aren't working... you seem to think that the gov't is the way out of problems... jobs are the key to these people future, not getting government checks for each kid you have... if you make the same working as you would sitting on your ass, and you decide to go ahead and sit on your ass, then your a loser... it makes sense, but that IS americas fault... there are jobs to do, so get one... it shouldn't be americas job to take care of these people... it is their problem... as long as we give out money to the poor, the bigger the gap between the rich and the poor will get... the rich are usually rich for a reason... they work their ass off...

what is your take on the welfare problem that is hampering the hell out of the US, homer?

Archived