The last time we were in the AFCCG

On 1/23/2022 at 5:12 PM, BengalBacker said:

Guys, I'm going to delete these links, sorry. I don't know if can get in trouble for posting them, or get Ryan in trouble for having them on his board.

dont have a scared life

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Was that pic in the Enquirer or the Post? I have the Enquirer edition. 

pretty sure it was the enquirer, my sister and i each have a clipping but its in storage. 

if you have one with a couple players in the pic and a dude with a big afro walking across the field, thats him.

43 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

pretty sure it was the enquirer, my sister and i each have a clipping but its in storage. 

if you have one with a couple players in the pic and a dude with a big afro walking across the field, thats him.

Will have to dig my copy out as well, and will check. 

22 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Will have to dig my copy out as well, and will check. 

If it's the edition that came out the day after the  Buffalo game and the front page story down at the bottom in 1989, my sister was quoted in that story. I might have it somewhere also. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Just looked: Only Clark Harris and Kevin Huber were even alive the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship Game. 

Sadly, more than a few players and coaches have passed on since that game. 😢  

Lewis Billups comes to mind.

A true basketcase.  He has an INT in the AFCCG against Jim Kelly.  He dances around for a bit and then goes out of bounds but while losing yards.  Truly stupid.

All remember his dropped INT early in the 4th quarter in Super Bowl.  Never seemed to be the same after that.  Was accused of stalking Rex Chapman's sister.  Died in a car accident in Florida. 

9 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Lewis Billups comes to mind.

A true basketcase.  He has an INT in the AFCCG against Jim Kelly.  He dances around for a bit and then goes out of bounds but while losing yards.  Truly stupid.

All remember his dropped INT early in the 4th quarter in Super Bowl.  Never seemed to be the same after that.  Was accused of stalking Rex Chapman's sister.  Died in a car accident in Florida. 

Billups was more than accused of stalking Chapman's sister.  He went to prison for a year for making threats against Rex Chapman.  His sister wisely recorded Billups.  He died six days after getting released. 

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Billups was more than accused of stalking Chapman's sister.  He went to prison for a year for making threats against Rex Chapman.  His sister wisely recorded Billups.  He died six days after getting released. 

thanks.  This is from wikipedia.  This would be all over various social media and talk shows if this happened today

In 1987, Billups was charged with beating up a Cincinnati woman, Tracy Fair, after their relationship ended. She later dropped the charges. Although the criminal charges were dismissed, Ms. Fair pursued a civil action against Billups; Billups ultimately paid Ms. Fair $30,000 in settlement of her damages. Fair testified that she dropped the charges because Billups threatened to pay someone to finish the job and take a razor blade to her face if she had him arrested or put in jail. Fair required six plastic surgeries, including reconstructing her nose with bones from her skull and rib, as a result of the beating.[2]

At the end of his NFL career, Billups committed numerous criminal acts of violence. He pled guilty in June 1993 for making threats against Washington Bullets basketball player Rex Chapman, whose sister Billups had been dating and abusing. Billups had a romantic relationship with Jenny Chapman and twice called her to warn her against seeing other people. Because of earlier threats, Jenny Chapman had contacted the FBI, which recorded two calls. In one, Billups said, "You got your brother's knees in your hands." He also said Chapman would "get a visit, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, down. Next thing you read, Rex Chapman through for the year, maybe for the rest of his career."[3] Additionally, "Now, I'm telling you right now as God is my witness, I swear on my mother's life, if you ever speak to a guy, speak -- just say 'Hi' to a guy from Kentucky, I promise you {his associates will} go see your brother and he'll never play basketball again," Billups said during the first call. Numerous people testified about Billups's violent nature, including Jenny Chapman, who received the threats made against her brother and tape recorded them.[4]

He also had pleaded no contest to a local charge of criminal conspiracy after being accused of drugging and raping a woman in Longwood and of trying to extort $20,000 with a videotape of the attack. He attempted to extort the money from his victim in exchange for not sending the tape to her husband and others.[5] He eventually served over a year in prison for the Chapman threats, gaining his release on April 4, 1994. He was to serve three years' probation for the Longwood offenses.

Death

Six days later, Billups died in a car crash. Driving at speeds in excess of 100 mph, he lost control of his Corvette convertible on Interstate 4, destroying over 50 meters of steel railing. Billups' friend, Danny Green, who was seated next to him, was killed on impact. Billups was thrown from the car and was later found by highway patrol men attending the scene. Billups was taken to the Orlando hospital where he died from his injuries. The details of Billups' exploits are prominently featured in the best-selling book, "Pros And Cons."

Archived