Anyone headed to Kansas City?

No watch party at PBS this Sunday.  The County waited too long to seriously consider it, and couldn't come up with the $ needed for security, cleanup, bathrooms, possible concessions, etc.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/26/bengals-fans-wont-watch-afc-championship-paul-brown-stadium/9230364002/

Hamilton County nixes watch party at Paul Brown Stadium over safety concerns and short notice

A proposed watch party won't happen at Paul Brown Stadium for the Bengals vs. Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday. 

Hamilton County released a statement listing a litany of reasons why people won't be able to gather on Sunday in Paul Brown Stadium to watch the AFC Championship game being played in Kansas City. 

"Given the attendance uncertainty, time constraints, and numerous operational challenges including fan safety and staffing, the county cannot feasibly pull together all the logistics for a PBS watch party in time for this Sunday's game," Hamilton County spokesperson Bridget Doherty said in a statement. 

Hamilton County commissioner Alicia Reece proposed the idea of a watch party at the Stadium on Tuesday. 

She said a constituent had requested it after seeing it done in other cities for championship games.  

"When you do give us ideas, we do try to bring those ideas forward," Reece said. "I think that would be a great thing. I'm getting all kinds of calls. I hope we’re able to do it. It is such an exciting time for our city and county."

Reece in a statement Wednesday asked the county administration to look into hosting a Super Bowl watch party should the Bengals advance. The Super Bowl is Feb. 13. She said she disagreed that the county didn't have enough time. 

"I truly believe that with all hands on deck, this could have become a reality this weekend like other major cities have hosted watch parties in their facilities," Reece said in a statement. "This would have been huge for the fans and taxpayers to be able to have access and cheer on our team and could have also garnered national media attention."

The county's lease with the Bengals does allow the county to schedule events that don't interfere with Bengals games and practices. But for an NFL watch party, the Bengals and county would need to work out logistics, Doherty said in an email to The Enquirer. Bengals employees operate the scoreboard, video monitors and other technology at the stadium.

Gameday operations, such as concessions and security, are also managed and contracted by the Bengals, she said. The NFL would also need to approve broadcasting rights.

Trust me - it does take $ to open up a stadium to fans, and the County couldn't figure out how to pay for it in time to make it happen.

Not surprising. As you said, it takes contracts to furnish all of those areas. The ones used over the season likely expired at the end of the season—with caveats for playoff games. 

Even short-term/one event contracts don’t appear at the snap of fingers. And with county government involved, snap of fingers even takes 30 days. 

13 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

No watch party at PBS this Sunday.  The County waited too long to seriously consider it, and couldn't come up with the $ needed for security, cleanup, bathrooms, possible concessions, etc.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/26/bengals-fans-wont-watch-afc-championship-paul-brown-stadium/9230364002/

Trust me - it does take $ to open up a stadium to fans, and the County couldn't figure out how to pay for it in time to make it happen.

+1  I misread your post the first time.  I wonder how the pep rally at The Banks went last night with 3+ inches of slight chance of flurries ending in the morning falling and no treated streets?

Archived