The front office has failed us many times, but this is the moment that they can finally turn it all around. A few good moves this offseason, and I might be willing to forgive them for a decade of suckiness, and another couple decades of suckiness sprinkled with mediocrity.

I am frustrated, not hateful, toward MB.  Most of his faults are double edged. We celebrate know because we are on the good side.  And will be ready to hang him again when things go bad, and I can see things going bad in about 3-4 years.  Its been this way since 2005.

the Brown family, mainly mike, continue to be the only reason Cincinnati has a team, they turned down the fat bag Baltimore was offering to move there, cleveland took it. 

to put that into perspective, the ravens are worth 1.2 BILLION dollars more than the franchise in cincinnati. 

that family took a billion dollar hit to leave the team in the shithole its in.all to be called crooks for the stadium, and idiots for 3 decades.

in reality they should have left. 

They could have easily signed Zeitler last offseason and had a competent, slightly above average RG. Wouldn't that be nice right now?

Protecting Burrow has to be the offseason priority. Spend big there and hope they spend wisely. But don't count on one of the younger players to make some big improvement. If they do, great, we have better backups. But we shouldn't see Hopkins, Adeniji, Carman, Smith, Johnson, Prince, or Hill as first choice starters next year. Bring in some actual talent who can stay healthy and play at an above average level. 

And by God, we still love the Reds! They won something in 1990..or 1975..or whenever. And yeah, the stadium was built with the same stolen voter taxes..but they try, amirite?  

The thought of Mike Brown made my blood boil many years ago, with all the time and money I spent on that garbage product. In more recent years, I am totally ambivalent. Nothing to forgive. DGAF. 

In the NFL isn't it about this anyway?:

Are You Not Entertained GIFs | Tenor

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And by God, we still love the Reds! They won something in 1990..or 1975..or whenever. And yeah, the stadium was built with the same stolen voter taxes..but they try, amirite?  

The thought of Mike Brown made my blood boil many years ago, with all the time and money I spent on that garbage product. In more recent years, I am totally ambivalent. Nothing to forgive. DGAF. 

Some people in Cincinnati are saying that Castellini is worse than Mike  Brown. 

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

the Brown family, mainly mike, continue to be the only reason Cincinnati has a team, they turned down the fat bag Baltimore was offering to move there, cleveland took it. 

to put that into perspective, the ravens are worth 1.2 BILLION dollars more than the franchise in cincinnati. 

that family took a billion dollar hit to leave the team in the shithole its in.all to be called crooks for the stadium, and idiots for 3 decades.

in reality they should have left. 

The reason that the rats are worth more is because they are a a winning franchise. They are built to invest in the team, to win and that creates franchise value. That has not been Mikey's MO, he has run this as a year-to-year business to make moeny annually as opposed to creating the franchise value. If the team had moved, Mikey would have operated the same way, it is who he is.

Having said that and answering to the LostinDaJungle post above - I agree with his post BUT I will say that right now is another opportunity for the Brown family to chnage thier way of operating to leverage 10+ years of Burrow and create a consistent winning environment. We have seen this short term winning before and it was not sustained. I have mentioned many times that the so called culture chnage has to be top down, so the front office HAS TO embarce this chnage for it to be sustainable. I will say there are a few tidbits of encuragemnet on this front (Iknow, this from me!):

1. The serious dip in the last 2 years, recognizing that when you have lean draft years you have to supplement.

2. The change in draft philosophy to players that are leaders, captains and effective players as opposed to projects and workout warriers. And perhaps the acceptance that these players bring better draft results. 

The challenge going forward will be for the front office to keep building on this (OL for example) and not fall back into old habits (which is eady to do). For example - dont assume that because you drafted 3 OL last drfat the OL is fixed. 

Also, the cap increasing significantly in the next few years really works in our favor. It would be an added bonus if we actually starting using the cap like other teams do, that may be a stretch but regardless, there are NO excuses to not sign our best players. 

• Montana Bengal changed the title to Blind squirrels and other bitching by LostInDaJungle
3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I know. It's almost like I didn't give you any context for why this was relevant. Crazy.

Maybe we should just not care?

This is how I feel about Mike Brown based on everything I've heard from people around the team.

I think he does care about winning, but I think the game passed him by decades ago. 

I think he had to find the right coach to help move him forward out of the 80s mindset and into the Modern Era, I think that was Marvin.

Marvin helped to lay the groundwork with Mike trusting him for what we are seeing now. 

Anyone who has ever run a business or been in charge of anyone knows you need to be able to trust the people that work for you and believe in their vision and they need to be able to help you grow in areas you may be inefficient in as well. 

It may have taken WAY longer than we had hoped, but here we are.

I hope Mike gets to hoist that Lombardi in a few weeks and everyone can get in their feelings about that then.

• Montana Bengal changed the title to Bitching by LostInDaJungle (or some shit like that). Montana edited the title.
  • Montana Bengal changed the title to LostInDaJungle and issues with the Brown Family (something like that). Montana edited the title.
  • Montana Bengal locked this topic
6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

They could have easily signed Zeitler last offseason and had a competent, slightly above average RG. Wouldn't that be nice right now?

Protecting Burrow has to be the offseason priority. Spend big there and hope they spend wisely. But don't count on one of the younger players to make some big improvement. If they do, great, we have better backups. But we shouldn't see Hopkins, Adeniji, Carman, Smith, Johnson, Prince, or Hill as first choice starters next year. Bring in some actual talent who can stay healthy and play at an above average level. 

This group loves hindsight arguments. 

mid imagine they planned on the second round pick they picked panning out at RG

what they did for the line in the off-season:

1. fired coach who sucked

2. hired coach who doesn’t suck

3. signed free agent solid RT

4. resigned LG who did well last year in spain

5. drafted a 2nd round RG. 

did all of this collapse? Yes. But still. Effort was made. 

and how many times has someone’s said “they didn’t do shit to fix the line this year”

it sucks but an effort and tbh a solid one was made. I mean replacing the entire right side and improved coaching is a great plan. 

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Now not liking Mike brown and not ever going to like him is one thing. 

to in the middle of the most success the team has had in 30 years and exciting fan time to make a point to stir up that pile of shit is an entirely different mindset all together. 

and I’m not even saying it can’t or should be done. But it takes a certain mindset and person to do it. And you’d better guess you’re going to hear some contrary opinions. And also some folks probably not in the mood to have rain dumped during the parade right now. 

no one cares if this dude likes Mike brown or not. And by god no one cares if he forgives him. Mike doesn’t know he exists. 

man’s let’s be honest. The “stolen tax money” bit. What was the city gonna spend on otherwise? A traincar that runs 3 blocks?

It was a trivial amount of money per person per year overall. They’d have raised that tax and spent it regardless. Probably be an aquarium where pbs stands and that’s about it. 

16 hours ago, GoBengals said:

This group loves hindsight arguments. 

mid imagine they planned on the second round pick they picked panning out at RG

what they did for the line in the off-season:

1. fired coach who sucked

2. hired coach who doesn’t suck

3. signed free agent solid RT

4. resigned LG who did well last year in spain

5. drafted a 2nd round RG. 

did all of this collapse? Yes. But still. Effort was made. 

and how many times has someone’s said “they didn’t do shit to fix the line this year”

it sucks but an effort and tbh a solid one was made. I mean replacing the entire right side and improved coaching is a great plan. 

I don't think anyone objected to re-signing Spain or adding Reiff. But the interior of the O-line was a problem in 2020. They didn't make any effort to upgrade from Hopkins and drafting Carman hasn't worked out very well. They could have signed Zeitler and drafted Creed Humphrey. Then we'd be in much better shape this offseason. It's not like there weren't people calling for the team to sign Zeitler so it's not hindsight. 

28 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think anyone objected to re-signing Spain or adding Reiff. But the interior of the O-line was a problem in 2020. They didn't make any effort to upgrade from Hopkins and drafting Carman hasn't worked out very well. They could have signed Zeitler and drafted Creed Humphrey. Then we'd be in much better shape this offseason. It's not like there weren't people calling for the team to sign Zeitler so it's not hindsight. 

It is also worth noting that they signed Reiff well past the FA start period. Had the Vikings not cut him for cap reasons, who would have been our RT.  

I get the sense that the organization feels that FA for OL is simply over valued, usually older guys (unlike say a Reader or Hendrickson pick up), so it is better off to draft and develop. I am OK with that as long as they actually keep drafting guys and if the picks are not working out or taking too long to develop then you have to go into FA. 

I think the frustrating part for some is - the DL and the OL were obvious weak parts of the team and they committed huge dollars to the DL and NOT the OL, despite drafting a franchise QB. An easy argument could be made that they should have built the OL in FA first and the DL second. 

We are where we are and we will see how they handle the OL in the offseason. For now, we have to dance with the gal we brought. 

1 hour ago, sois said:

Caues he was supposed to the be black John Elway

I never in the least bit thought it would translate to the NFL...but...the tape from his last year at Oregon was actually pretty fun to watch. Even watching a condensed highlight package you can easily see why scouts loved his pure physical ability so much.

Too bad he was dumber than a rock, huh? 🤦‍♂️

He held out, he got paid...poof, it was over. 

I remember being stoked about the pick, although the trade should've happened. But I don't know about being dumb, had a 26 wonderlic score. Not great, but should've been good enough. And yes, not the best indicator see the SI article (https://www.si.com/nfl/2011/03/24/wonderlic-test) I thought the issue was not putting in the work, especially the study side. He thought he could just show up and play.  I think Klingler had like a 30. Kitten hand (Kitna for those that don't remember) whom many considered cerebral but lacking the talent only had a 28.

FYI, Joe 34.

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I always keep in mind: whatever high/low wonderlic numbers all these fellows have…they all have made enough money in NFL careers to live their lives out in well-to-do fashion (so long as they didn’t blow it all naturally). 

190 Cincinnati Bengals ideas in 2022 | cincinnati bengals, bengals,  cincinnatiBen Baby on Twitter: "Joe Burrow with a strong windowpane suit for today's  CIN-JAX game (via @Bengals) https://t.co/BbPDVxFwbz" / Twitter

Archived