AFC Championship Gameday Thread - Bengals at Chiefs

On 2/7/2022 at 5:18 PM, Sea Ray said:

Are those patches stitched on or ironed?

On the official jerseys, the patches are stitched-on.  For the patch I just ordered (and got), they're ironed.

The 3" patch is DEFINITELY the correct size, by the way.  The patch I ordered is definitely a knock-off and has its shortcomings, but for the price it's actually nicer than expected.  Here's what I got:

IMG_20220208_193053143.jpg

The patch looks like it's stitched, and even has some 3-D elements to it, but it was clearly mass-produced and is a clever knockoff.  The proof is when you flip it over:

IMG_20220208_193130895.jpg

The backing isn't heat-activated glue (like most iron-on stitched patches are), it's got a paper backing you peel off to expose the glue.  In essence, it's an upgraded fabric-based sticker hybrid.  The front is fabric (you can feel and see the stitching), and the backing shows the raised SUPER BOWL lettering (which is what you feel on the front), but the rest of the patch is very nice, thick, sticker.  And the glue is very, very sticky.  I don't think it's gonna come off anything once it's stuck on.... although putting it fabric could be a challenge.

I went ahead and put it on my Burrow jersey and applied a dry iron to it.  The heat will hopefully cause the sticker bit to adhere more solidly to the jersey material.  It looks like this:

IMG_20220208_193033175.jpg

It's not tilted.... The base of the patch/sticker IS aligned with the Bengals wordmark, it just looks a little low on the right side because the jersey is on a hangar.  When laying flat on the ironing board everything lines up.   

IMPORTANT - If you get/got this patch and decide to iron it like I did, do it dry - no steam.  Also, don't move the iron around when pressing it onto the patch, just press the iron straight down and hold it for a couple of seconds then lift off.  I don't trust the artwork on the front to not be damaged if a hot iron is dragged across it, and I'm certain that getting it wet would be a bad idea.  

Now that it's on, I don't expect it will come off, though I will NOT test that theory by putting it in the washing machine.  

Would I recommend this....?  well, if you can get to the Pro Shop or a reliable sporting goods store that has actual SB LVI patches for sale - the kind you can sew or iron on - I would go that route.  I have several Stanley Cup 2019 patches I got from the Blues Shop in St Louis when I was there during the playoffs, and I'm expecting the Pro Shop at PBS will have the real deals as well.  If you can't then these $6 patches are a decent solution until/unless you can get your hands on an authentic one.  I'm okay with what I've got, although I think I'll probably pick up a 2nd jersey at the Pro Shop next time I visit and will get one from them that's pre-patched.... assuming those become available.

22 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

On the official jerseys, the patches are stitched-on.  For the patch I just ordered (and got), they're ironed.

The 3" patch is DEFINITELY the correct size, by the way.  The patch I ordered is definitely a knock-off and has its shortcomings, but for the price it's actually nicer than expected.  Here's what I got:

IMG_20220208_193053143.jpg

The patch looks like it's stitched, and even has some 3-D elements to it, but it was clearly mass-produced and is a clever knockoff.  The proof is when you flip it over:

IMG_20220208_193130895.jpg

The backing isn't heat-activated glue (like most iron-on stitched patches are), it's got a paper backing you peel off to expose the glue.  In essence, it's an upgraded fabric-based sticker hybrid.  The front is fabric (you can feel and see the stitching), and the backing shows the raised SUPER BOWL lettering (which is what you feel on the front), but the rest of the patch is very nice, thick, sticker.  And the glue is very, very sticky.  I don't think it's gonna come off anything once it's stuck on.... although putting it fabric could be a challenge.

I went ahead and put it on my Burrow jersey and applied a dry iron to it.  The heat will hopefully cause the sticker bit to adhere more solidly to the jersey material.  It looks like this:

IMG_20220208_193033175.jpg

It's not tilted.... The base of the patch/sticker IS aligned with the Bengals wordmark, it just looks a little low on the right side because the jersey is on a hangar.  When laying flat on the ironing board everything lines up.   

I don't expect it will come off, though I will NOT test that theory by putting it in the washing machine.  

Would I recommend this....?  well, if you can get to the Pro Shop or a reliable sporting goods store that has actual SB LVI patches for sale - the kind you can sew or iron on - I would go that route.  I have several Stanley Cup 2019 patches I got from the Blues Shop in St Louis when I was there during the playoffs, and I'm expecting the Pro Shop at PBS will have the real deals as well.  If you can't then these $6 patches are a decent solution until/unless you can get your hands on an authentic one.  I'm okay with what I've got, although I think I'll probably pick up a 2nd jersey at the Pro Shop next time I visit and will get one from them that's pre-patched.... assuming those become available.

Mine should be here tomorrow. Thanks for finding that.

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Untitled.jpg

Tonight's night class via Zoom.  The patch looks pretty good, and the hat just came in from eBay today.

It's clearly a knockoff, but at least it came in before the game.

Untitled.png

I stuck with my order from the NFL shop and they are saying it will be here Saturday. Fingers crossed.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:45 PM, BengalBuck said:

I stuck with my order from the NFL shop and they are saying it will be here Saturday. Fingers crossed.

All of my orders said they’d ship 2/21 when I ordered. 5 of them have arrived in the last two days with a few more coming. Sadly I’m already gone but they’ll be there when I get back. Fanatics has a habit of under promising and over delivering. 

11 hours ago, GoBengals said:

All of my orders said they’d ship 2/21 when I ordered. 5 of them have arrived in the last two days with a few more coming. Sadly I’m already gone but they’ll be there when I get back. Fanatics has a habit of under promising and over delivering. 

Got my hat an hour ago. 

56 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

I'm not crying, you're crying.

That was fantastic!

The tears were not for the team winning,  they were due to feeling/sharing the emotions of long-suffering Bengal fans.

An excellently pieced video.

Archived