Random 2022 Stuff

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Sort of “random”, but what do you all think of this newest NFL rule change:

NFL owners pass new overtime rules exclusively for postseason

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/29/23001736/nfl-overtime-rules-postseason-what-to-know

Not liking this one, but the NFL does what the NFL does. 

I have mixed feelings I guess.  I like the rules as if but with the more explosive offenses today maybe it is more "fair".  Also it would introduce some new strategy.  If the first team scores, do they kick an extra point or go for 2?   

I'm not really fan...if anything it just adds more steps to essentially get to the same rule we had before.

I just don't understand why everyone is so up in arms about the Bills "not getting a chance" when the very next week the Bengals pulled it off. Call me a whiner, but I guarantee you if the teams were reversed, the reaction would have been "lol, Bengals"

These numbers are deceiving...so in actuality it was 7/12 times the team that won the coin flip won the game on the opening drive? That means if the other team got a possession and still lost, it shows that making sure the other team gets the ball doesn't matter THAT much. If that makes sense lol.

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Sort of “random”, but what do you all think of this newest NFL rule change:

NFL owners pass new overtime rules exclusively for postseason

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/29/23001736/nfl-overtime-rules-postseason-what-to-know

Not liking this one, but the NFL does what the NFL does. 

Nothing has really changed.  Whining Fans and loser Owners upset they lost because their team’s D could not stop the O.  Dumb Barfalo HC didn’t do a squib kick during regular time made this change. The NFL is getting hard to watch anymore.  Pathetic! 

You think the OT Rule is an issue, get this one.  Every NFL Team MUST hire a racial minority offensive assistant coach that works directly with the HC and offensive staff this year.  It can be a male or female.  They will be paid out of a separate league wide fund?  What?  So the NFL doesn’t already have minority assistant coaches already?  Is this all about the Miami HC lawsuit?  What a joke the NFL is becoming. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33617341/nfl-says-all-teams-add-minority-offensive-coach-expands-rooney-rule-include-women 

47 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

You think the OT Rule is an issue, get this one.  Every NFL Team MUST hire a racial minority offensive assistant coach that works directly with the HC and offensive staff this year.  It can be a male or female.  They will be paid out of a separate league wide fund?  What?  So the NFL doesn’t already have minority assistant coaches already?  Is this all about the Miami HC lawsuit?  What a joke the NFL is becoming. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33617341/nfl-says-all-teams-add-minority-offensive-coach-expands-rooney-rule-include-women 

Eep.. This is the kind of stuff that seriously pisses me off. I thought we (as a country) were against discrimination in all forms. The minority hired is going to know he/she is a token hire. I wouldn't want to know they hired me just because I was a minority. This is the new face of discrimination. When they aren't allowed to discriminate against one race they just pick another and discriminate against them. As a minority I think this is crap. I get it shoved in my face all the time being in California. People in CA are racist as fug, and they don't even know it. They have overdone black people in the media/commercials/movies ect ect that according to a yougov.com poll people actually think that 41% of people in the USA are Latin/Caribbean black, and African American.. Crazy crazy world we are in. 

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

new overtime rules

I think these new rules guarantee that almost all teams winning the toss will want the ball second, as there is no advantage at all to going first, other than the fact that maybe the defense of the other side is tired (if the team went on a long drive to tie the game). All the pressure is now on the team getting the ball first, as they only have 3 downs to operate with as they may have to punt (and team 2 wins with a FG), but the team going second after a TD will know they gave 4 down territory all the way through. Also the team going first has to go for 2 I would think as the second team scoring surely will. So if the first team misses their 2 pt conversion, now the team going second wins with an extra point. Now "winning" the toss, will mean you go second as the crowd roars the defer.  

The NFL has become the NBA, in many respects. The most glaring is that it is very much now a “4th Quarter” league. I suspect it will get even closer to the NBA and become a “last 2 minutes” league—especially in important games and the playoffs. 

The league is gearing up with more quirky OT rules to stay abreast. 

8 hours ago, Gary said:

Eep.. This is the kind of stuff that seriously pisses me off. I thought we (as a country) were against discrimination in all forms. The minority hired is going to know he/she is a token hire. I wouldn't want to know they hired me just because I was a minority. This is the new face of discrimination. When they aren't allowed to discriminate against one race they just pick another and discriminate against them. As a minority I think this is crap. I get it shoved in my face all the time being in California. People in CA are racist as fug, and they don't even know it. They have overdone black people in the media/commercials/movies ect ect that according to a yougov.com poll people actually think that 41% of people in the USA are Latin/Caribbean black, and African American.. Crazy crazy world we are in. 

Yeah, this was pretty much my initial thought…and was wondering why they would have come up with THIS plan.  

The only conclusion I come to is that it is to overcome the perceived (shall I use the word “systemic”?) problem that not many minority coaches are exposed to ALL of the functions and day-to-day activities (and game-day activities) required of an NFL head coach.  ???

When some minority head coaches were eventually fired/let go, did the owners report to the NFL that while so-and-so was good/great with functions A, B, and C, he sucked at functions D and E???   Of course, the same could be said for any white head coach that is terminated.  But the NFL’s goal is to increase the number of minority head coaches, so let’s better prepare the minority candidates.

In the eyes of the NFL, the minority coaches chosen for this position should NOT look at it as a token hire, but rather should be thrilled that they were chosen as one of only 32 to be offered a great opportunity to get an inside track to becoming a head coach in the NFL.

I would also imagine that the salary for these 32 positions will likely be several times the amount that I have ever made at any point in my life.  

I’m thinking that we won’t see any of them considering himself as a token.  But maybe that’s just me.  :shrug:  

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Yeah, this was pretty much my initial thought…and was wondering why they would have come up with THIS plan.  

The only conclusion I come to is that it is to overcome the perceived (shall I use the word “systemic”?) problem that not many minority coaches are exposed to ALL of the functions and day-to-day activities (and game-day activities) required of an NFL head coach.  ???

When some minority head coaches were eventually fired/let go, did the owners report to the NFL that while so-and-so was good/great with functions A, B, and C, he sucked at functions D and E???   Of course, the same could be said for any white head coach that is terminated.  But the NFL’s goal is to increase the number of minority head coaches, so let’s better prepare the minority candidates.

In the eyes of the NFL, the minority coaches chosen for this position should NOT look at it as a token hire, but rather should be thrilled that they were chosen as one of only 32 to be offered a great opportunity to get an inside track to becoming a head coach in the NFL.

I would also imagine that the salary for these 32 positions will likely be several times the amount that I have ever made at any point in my life.  

I’m thinking that we won’t see any of them considering himself as a token.  But maybe that’s just me.  :shrug:  

Yea, the pay.  This person will be paid more than the other assistant coaches who will probably do more?  Reason, they are paid by the owner and not a separate hidden NFL fund.  Will the other coaches know what this person is paid? All teams are going to do is move a minority coach into this position and give him the title more than likely.  How will this make the more say experienced coaches feel if they were passed over based off of race?  They opened up a whole can of worms with this move.  

Archived