Random 2022 Stuff

The problem with the original field was too much sand. It didn't support the grass very well and as the grass got worn down over the course of the season it became a sandbox. Heinz field had similar issues. It's certainly possible to grow good grass football fields in southern Ohio. But it might require 1 or 2 re-soddings during the season, and that's an expense they don't want. 

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The problem with the original field was too much sand. It didn't support the grass very well and as the grass got worn down over the course of the season it became a sandbox. Heinz field had similar issues. It's certainly possible to grow good grass football fields in southern Ohio. But it might require 1 or 2 re-soddings during the season, and that's an expense they don't want. 

I've heard that players prefer the Pro Turf for the most part.  It's consistent.  The problem with grass fields is that they aren't.  Players feel there are fewer injuries on Pro Turf.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I've heard that players prefer the Pro Turf for the most part.  It's consistent.  The problem with grass fields is that they aren't.  Players feel there are fewer injuries on Pro Turf.

From an NFL player standpoint, absolutely true. From a world soccer player standpoint, exactly the opposite. They want grass, as do the managers. They all have developed on it, trained on it, played on it, for their entire lives. There have been occasions where international competitions have been done on ProTurf (nee Field Turf), but not often. 

It will be interesting to see what the proposed US host cities plan to do in this regard. There is so much money to be made by both the cities and FIFA for the World Cup, someone will have to flinch on the field makeup question. 

4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They can certainly lay down a sod, real grass field over the field turf. It only has to last for a couple of weeks and 3 or 4 games. 

That has been done in the past. May be best compromise. Definitely cheaper. 

I had read about the OSU offer to Chris Henry Jr (as well as other schools offers including WVU)...the kid is going to be a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL.  He's already 6'3" tall and looks pretty fluid!  I don't typically follow this kind of thing, so I'm curious how common it is to make offers to kids this young?  WOW!

24 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

I had read about the OSU offer to Chris Henry Jr (as well as other schools offers including WVU)...the kid is going to be a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL.  He's already 6'3" tall and looks pretty fluid!  I don't typically follow this kind of thing, so I'm curious how common it is to make offers to kids this young?  WOW!

I think it happens more often in basketball than football.

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

In the old NHL days, before the draft became a thing, the Boston Bruins signed Bobby Orr as a 14 year old. He did not play pro till he was 18 but was under contract at 14. 

4 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Not sure this means much in the days of NIL.  At the end of the day the NIL deal teams put together will be what gets most kids to come to school.  Offer all you want, but the deal is the deal.  That won't come until later.

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

In the old NHL days, before the draft became a thing, the Boston Bruins signed Bobby Orr as a 14 year old. He did not play pro till he was 18 but was under contract at 14. 

That beats Gordie Howe. He was offered a contract by the Rangers at age 15, but didn’t sign a contract (with Detroit) until age 16. Of course, that was 1944.

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Turns out they offered two 8th graders so far this cycle. A DE named Tyler Atkison and of course Henry Jr.

Archived