Random 2022 Stuff

17 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

IMG_20220610_003836.jpg

Not knocking that at all but how many of those 13 passes were Ja'Marr catching and running 30 to 50 yards?  And/or getting a step or two on his guy to go the long distance.  I'm sure there was another guy our two, too, but it isn't like Joe did it alone,.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Not knocking that at all but how many of those 13 passes were Ja'Marr catching and running 30 to 50 yards?  And/or getting a step or two on his guy to go the long distance.  I'm sure there was another guy our two, too, but it isn't like Joe did it alone,.

Several for sure.

"PFF considers a pass a “deep target” if the ball has traveled 20-plus air yards past the line of scrimmage. "

20+ in the air is all good, but yeah some that went 20 in the air and another 20+ on the ground for the TD in that 13.

taken from https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-2021-starting-qbs-deep-passing-performance-arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray

23 hours ago, High School Harry said:

It comes back to the QB, because the Coordinator and HC have to have the confidence (and cahones, something Marv had neither of) in the QB to make the number of attempts necessary to have that kind of success.  There weren't any others who were even willing to try it.

With my ADHD/OCD/anal-retentive issues, I've analyzed the air yards of every QB week-to-week for the last 30 years.  Been doing it long before PFF ever started doing it.  How many yards behind the LOS does the throw begin at, how quickly is the ball gone from their hands, how many are primary reads, over the middle (the only throw I ever recommended Dalton throwing, which he was actually very good at, but it's the easiest one to throw), how many go to the left, to the right, under pressure, clean pocket, etc., etc., etc.

You really have to take into account that Burrow wasn't making most of these down the middle (as that's usually a 15-yd throw past the LOS anyway, but they were throws to the outside, which actually made it always more than a 35-yard throw in the air,....7-10 yds behind the LOS, and another 7-10 yards in distance because the ball is going to the sidelines.  Add to it, that in order to buy this kind of time, Burrow was under duress 90% of the time.  He also audibled quite a few of these.  He also threw many of these in the situations that aren't normally conducive to making these throws....1st down, 3rd down, inside your own 30.  Deep throws are usually 2nd down between the 40's.

With a much cleaner pocket this season, a healthier Burrow, a more experienced Burrow and Chase and Higgins, and a greater threat to run successfully pulling the Safeties in just a bit closer, these numbers may exceed themselves, and the only reason they won't is because we should be playing with more leads, though this team is not tight-assholed Marvin Lewis when it has a lead.

11 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

When the run D rose up and Titans shit the bed ...

IIRC they put Shelvin next to Hill on those two plays and between him and hill and hubbard blowing up the first level allowing Wilson and the other backers to just walk into the backfield, it was awesome.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Interesting...maybe this is some sort of backdrop for media day or something? Seems a little early for that though. I'm not sure how, but maybe this is some sort of alternate helmet unveiling

Another perspective about Burrow's "Deep Ball" throwing dominance.

Tua, who was 2nd in completion percentage (48.3%), attempted only 29 of them all season.  In other words, the attempt would only be made in the highest leverage situations,...2nd and short between the 40's.  That opportunity only came up about once per half for the Dolphins last season, which is about the same number of attempts that Tua made.

Burrow threw, and completed these, from inside his own 30 repeatedly, tossing the ball 40+ yards downfield from where he threw the ball.  Chase would run another 20-50 yards.

Mahomes threw 28 to Tyreke Hill all by himself.  Hill only caught 11 of them for two reasons....Hill is a terrible Receiver despite always being wide open (he always tries to catch everything with his chest, not his hands), and Mahomes is not an accurate thrower compared to some of the better ones.  He's good, and has always been helped out a lot because of schemes, play-calling, Kelce, and Reed's desire to throw the short-pass so often.

Archived