Random 2022 Stuff

11 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

One thing I have never understood--in terms of crediting "wins"--is why it is so accepted to give "wins" only to the QB's. Even by the metric above, it is disjointed: the Franchise had 5 playoff "wins" previously...and now those are solely credited to the QB. 

It's not that unknown in other sports I suppose: in the NHL they give "wins" to goalies--even though they are defensive in virtual totality.

Even in baseball, pitchers get "wins" (and "losses")--but they do have a more direct involvement since the ball is in their hands first. 

These are team sports. Individual sport--such as golf--would be directly attributable to the performance of the one participant. 

Just a bugaboo. No point really.   

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

One thing I have never understood--in terms of crediting "wins"--is why it is so accepted to give "wins" only to the QB's. Even by the metric above, it is disjointed: the Franchise had 5 playoff "wins" previously...and now those are solely credited to the QB. 

It's not that unknown in other sports I suppose: in the NHL they give "wins" to goalies--even though they are defensive in virtual totality.

Even in baseball, pitchers get "wins" (and "losses")--but they do have a more direct involvement since the ball is in their hands first. 

These are team sports. Individual sport--such as golf--would be directly attributable to the performance of the one participant. 

It's because unless your team gets someone on the level of a Rey Lewis (not commenting on the murder stuff), teams live and die by their QB.  

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

We have to credit the QB with the wins so that Tibor can still credit Dalton with the losses

Even in baseball, pitchers get "wins"

The closest analogy in sports to the QB would be the baseball pitcher imo. They both touch the ball on every play and can almost single handedly lose or win games (though yes both are still team sports).

Football coaches also get "wins" despite not even playing, and the QB is your coach on the field. 

1 minute ago, Jungletiger said:

It's because unless your team gets someone on the level of a Rey Lewis (not commenting on the murder stuff), teams live and die by their QB.  

Probably modern-day, I reckon. 

I'm just so old that I remember a time when QB's were hardly mentioned as the catalysts--unless they were front-page news, like Namath.  

I'm just so old that I remember a time when QB's were hardly mentioned as the catalysts--unless they were front-page news, like Namath.  

Very much a modern day thing, the rules are so skewed to be pro QB and offense now.  If you do not have the right pilot for your offense you're cooked.  Look at the Browns, Raiders, Vikings, Cowboys, etc I could go on.  Other than the 49ers (jury is still out on Purdy as far as I am concerned) look at who is in the final 4.

Just now, Jungletiger said:

Very much a modern day thing, the rules are so skewed to be pro QB and offense now.  If you do not have the right pilot for your offense you're cooked.  Look at the Browns, Raiders, Vikings, Cowboys, etc I could go on.  Other than the 49ers (jury is still out on Purdy as far as I am concerned) look at who is in the final 4.

Or if we wanna get more personal, Dalton on our squad.

11 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Please don't get Tibor started! 😄 

🤣

It's not an indictment on whether Andy is good or not, he was just not "that" guy.  Otherwise we wouldn't be just thinking the AFCCG is a norm for us, much less being the AFCN champ every year.  It's not an argument, or disparagement.

22 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Older in age...not in spirit from what I can tell..

You have that in spades sir..

He's right, we did get talent by sucking. If you don't make the playoffs, it's kinda preferable to suck. The worst thing is to be like Pittsburgh was this year, .500 , mediocre and out of the playoffs. It was a round about way of him admitting that we had more talent than his team.

As for rookie contracts and all, I predict the league will be shocked when we re-sign Joe B and they see how cap friendly it is. We'll get the next 2 yrs at a bargain since we'll be buying them out and Joe will work with the Brown family and structure it in a cap friendly way. This will behoove Joe to do it that way so his team isn't decimated around him. 

Archived