Random 2022 Stuff

12 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I didn't even catch that.

Loved the shot of him standing over Baker Mayfield. :)

14 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

If you're gonna make a YouTube video, check the spelling of the city in your title before posting it

Oh that's funny, I didn't catch it either. 

This NIL situation gets more interesting to me in terms of future drafts - and this story has a JB comment in it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/10/nil-money-could-prompt-coveted-players-to-refuse-to-sign-with-teams-that-draft-them/

As explained in Playmakers, not nearly enough players have exerted control over the draft process, which involuntarily assigns their rights to teams for which they may not want to play. Beyond John Elway and Eli Manning, who avoided being drafted by teams they didn’t want to join, and Bo Jackson, who warned the Buccaneers not to take him first overall in 1986 but they did anyway, few players have made draft-day power plays. (Joe Burrow, as explained in Playmakers, considered it — and would have done it, if he wasn’t an Ohio native.)

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

They would have to give 12 days notice, so no.

image.gif.e2b450ca2d58ec2376b908e56bc43e39.gif Yeah, thank you.  I was afraid of that.  Doesn't make a lot of difference to me but it

did seem like a game the NFL and Networks would want to spotlight.

Or bury because it would show how much Brady sucks esp in comparison to Joe Burrow.

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

image.gif.e2b450ca2d58ec2376b908e56bc43e39.gif Yeah, thank you.  I was afraid of that.  Doesn't make a lot of difference to me but it

did seem like a game the NFL and Networks would want to spotlight.

Or bury because it would show how much Brady sucks esp in comparison to Joe Burrow.

Oh yeah, you know they're looking forward to a whole new offseason of "will he or won't he" to keep the NFL in the spotlight.

7 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This NIL situation gets more interesting to me in terms of future drafts - and this story has a JB comment in it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/10/nil-money-could-prompt-coveted-players-to-refuse-to-sign-with-teams-that-draft-them/

As explained in Playmakers, not nearly enough players have exerted control over the draft process, which involuntarily assigns their rights to teams for which they may not want to play. Beyond John Elway and Eli Manning, who avoided being drafted by teams they didn’t want to join, and Bo Jackson, who warned the Buccaneers not to take him first overall in 1986 but they did anyway, few players have made draft-day power plays. (Joe Burrow, as explained in Playmakers, considered it — and would have done it, if he wasn’t an Ohio native.)

This argument has gone on since even before modern-era “revolts”. Curt Flood was a pioneer in the “my body for my services” position. 

The Draft—in any professional sport—is..as Flood argued in support of free agency..is a de facto reserve clause. His petition to the US Supreme Court was to the effect that no one was a property of a franchise—regardless of contracts or fulfillment thereof. 

There was a player who challenged the validity of the NFL Draft: James “Yazoo” Smith in 1970–the same year Flood brought his Supreme Court action: 

https://lvsportsbiz.com/2020/04/28/more-than-50-years-ago-when-a-player-challenged-the-nfl-draft/amp/

Unlike Flood, who lost his cases, Smith actually prevailed in his. But, from the article: 

“Smith won the battle, but not the war. Around this time, the Supreme Court established a “non-statutory labor exemption” to antitrust violations. That meant leagues could still hold their drafts if they were able to to get the players associations to agree to them within the CBA.”

The last line is the main—if not only—firewall to unfettered player movement in lieu of a draft… the unions have certified their drafts, and the rank-in-file certifies their unions. 

Burrow is mentioned in the article (it is 3 years old), with an allusion to “ignoring the draft”. 

Until such times as the players unions change their respective certifications of drafts as they stand now, legally there is nothing a player can do about it. 

Joe Mixon yesterday (the woeful Carolina game was an anomaly) 

14 carries, 96 yards, longest 40

Without the 40 yard burst 13 carries 56 yards (his norm)

2 catches on 2 targets for 10 yards.  10 yards on one, nothing on the second.

As far as Perine's TD run, Nixon would have been stuffed three lines behind the line of scrimmage.

This year stats...

172 Attempts, 701 yards, 4.1 average 6 touchdowns , 4 in one game.

Minus the 42-21 ass kicking of Carolina (22/153/7.0/4TD/29 long)

150 Attempts, 548 yards, 3.6 average 1 TD vs Atlanta 10/23

Very pedestrian with the exception of one game.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Joe Mixon yesterday (the woeful Carolina game was an anomaly) 

14 carries, 96 yards, longest 40

Without the 40 yard burst 13 carries 56 yards (his norm)

2 catches on 2 targets for 10 yards.  10 yards on one, nothing on the second.

As far as Perine's TD run, Nixon would have been stuffed three lines behind the line of scrimmage.

This year stats...

172 Attempts, 701 yards, 4.1 average 6 touchdowns , 4 in one game.

Minus the 42-21 ass kicking of Carolina (22/153/7.0/4TD/29 long)

150 Attempts, 548 yards, 3.6 average 1 TD vs Atlanta 10/23

Very pedestrian with the exception of one game.

I love watching people remove things that happened to try to further a narrative.

I mean just go all the way and removed Perine's two dropped passes while were at it.

Joe did exactly what I said he was capable of, that 40 yarder is not something that Perine does. Perine fights for a solid gains but nothing of the home run variety.

I posted before and if I have to Ill post again, but if we are "taking things out" on Joe, both guys have pretty similar stats.

not sure where else to put this - so I'll vent here........

What the hell is going on with our punt returns??

2 big penalties yesterday  (or was it 3) that really set us back big time and pretty much the same the week before.

Fortunately it didn't cost us but in a tight game - those can make the difference

Simmons.......clean it up

thanks - I fell better now

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I love watching people remove things that happened to try to further a narrative.

I mean just go all the way and removed Perine's two dropped passes while were at it.

Joe did exactly what I said he was capable of, that 40 yarder is not something that Perine does. Perine fights for a solid gains but nothing of the home run variety.

I posted before and if I have to Ill post again, but if we are "taking things out" on Joe, both guys have pretty similar stats.

Hey, I’m not about to take sides in this argument, but I will point out two things:

Perine has taken the rock to the end zone a few times.  Most notably, late in the first half of last year’s AFC Championship game.  How long was that TD run?

And I wouldn’t count that first pass to Perine yesterday as a dropped ball.  That was not a good throw…of which Joey B. had a few early in the game.

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

And I wouldn’t count that first pass to Perine yesterday as a dropped ball.  That was not a good throw…of which Joey B. had a few early in the game.

Whole team came out kinda offstep like that, as if they weren't on the same page.  Would love to know why even though it didn't end up hurting them this time.

2 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Hey, I’m not about to take sides in this argument, but I will point out two things:

Perine has taken the rock to the end zone a few times.  Most notably, late in the first half of last year’s AFC Championship game.  How long was that TD run?

It wasn't 40 yards 

I have no issue with Perine, I'd love to see some 2 RB sets, to keep opposing D's honest, or confused.

I just am over this narrative that Joe Mixon is the issue in the running game, the stats simply do not bear that out. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It wasn't 40 yards 

I have no issue with Perine, I'd love to see some 2 RB sets, to keep opposing D's honest, or confused.

I just am over this narrative that Joe Mixon is the issue in the running game, the stats simply do not bear that out. 

Honest truth is I prefer Perine's style of running.  Less flash, more smash.

Archived