Thank You!

It is WAY too early to call Carman damaged goods. 

What he is at least so far, is unprofessional. He should never have come into camp overweight. That Spain had to have that conversation with him is disappointing. 

Hopefully he is as disappointed in his rookie year as we are and he puts in the work to change it this offseason.

That said I do not want to have to rely on him as a starter next season, if he is the 1st guy off the bench I am fine with that, but we should be looking for a guy to be the starter.

13 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I'm a big one on accountability. Nothing wrong with holding people accountable

Except 9/10 you are just blaming someone.  Accomplishes little.  Totally overused phrase.  You should be helping folks get better or get rid of them.  Even telling salespeople to hold customers accountable.  What a joke.  You are accountable to your customers, not the other way around. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It is WAY too early to call Carman damaged goods. 

What he is at least so far, is unprofessional. He should never have come into camp overweight. That Spain had to have that conversation with him is disappointing. 

Hopefully he is as disappointed in his rookie year as we are and he puts in the work to change it this offseason.

That said I do not want to have to rely on him as a starter next season, if he is the 1st guy off the bench I am fine with that, but we should be looking for a guy to be the starter.

Back injuries are different.  They rarely go away, especially on very large men that get the crap beat out of them for a living. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Back injuries are different.  They rarely go away, especially on very large men that get the crap beat out of them for a living. 

We don't really know the extent of the injury. It could be minor enough that an NFL Offseason S&C program would help him go along way. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

We don't really know the extent of the injury. It could be minor enough that an NFL Offseason S&C program would help him go along way. 

Back surgery for a 20 something is a bad sign. 

Seemed pretty obvious to me that the agents that represent Carman and Teven Jenkins took opposite paths with the back injuries.  Carman went ahead with the surgery which probably hurt his draft positioning.  Jenkins put it off, was drafted higher and then had the surgery.  In either case these guys have a question mark over their heads.  Can they hold up?  You can fix an ACL.  You rarely fix a back.  You try to relieve the pain, but often you are just pushing the problems down the road with surgery.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Back surgery for a 20 something is a bad sign. 

Seemed pretty obvious to me that the agents that represent Carman and Teven Jenkins took opposite paths with the back injuries.  Carman went ahead with the surgery which probably hurt his draft positioning.  Jenkins put it off, was drafted higher and then had the surgery.  In either case these guys have a question mark over their heads.  Can they hold up?  You can fix an ACL.  You rarely fix a back.  You try to relieve the pain, but often you are just pushing the problems down the road with surgery.

Then let's have the conversation about Hendrickson, as he has a back injury too.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Then let's have the conversation about Hendrickson, as he has a back injury too.

Sure.  As far as I know Hendrickson did not have a history of back injuries prior to this season.  He did have some issues, but all issues are not the same.  Muscular stuff can be dealt with using stretching, massage, and other therapies.  When you have surgery it means you have structural issues that are causing pain.  If Hendrickson ends up needing surgery it is a bad sign.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Sure.  As far as I know Hendrickson did not have a history of back injuries prior to this season.  He did have some issues, but all issues are not the same.  Muscular stuff can be dealt with using stretching, massage, and other therapies.  When you have surgery it means you have structural issues that are causing pain.  If Hendrickson ends up needing surgery it is a bad sign.

Not all surgeries are the same, as far as we know it could just be cleanup. It's why I said we do not know the extent of it. 

I think we can at least agree that neither one of us want to have to rely on him as the starter.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not all surgeries are the same, as far as we know it could just be cleanup. It's why I said we do not know the extent of it. 

I think we can at least agree that neither one of us want to have to rely on him as the starter.

I'm not familiar with "clean up" back surgery.  From Carman's description he had a discectomy, which is to remove herniated disc material that is causing pain by pressing on nerves in the spinal cord.  Other types of decompression surgery can remove bone or other materials that are putting pressure on the nerves and causing pain. 

Throw in the fact that Carman had two bouts of back issues this season and well....

And for sure...Carman is going to have to prove that he can be a NFL starter.  He shouldn't be handed the position next season.  The fact that his training habits are also questionable makes this off season a big one for the young man.  I hope he comes through.

so happy to see this thread(8 days late). this is how i feel as well. Spending this fun season with my son and great friends are times ill never forget. 

from the jump, having no idea what we were getting into for the season, just a "would be cool to sneak into the playoffs" mentality, to a hell of a fun game. then smoke the ravens and steelers, then do it again, and KC to get the division, the Raiders playoff win was the biggest celebration, everything after that was just shocking and a fun wild ride. 

its so hard to get back to the SB. so so so hard, but we have the most important piece for that formula in Joe.

Its going to be a fun couple of years at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived