Reflections on a Season and going forward from here

At the start of this season I thought we had a real chance to be the 7th seed in the playoffs. In no imagination did I think the Super Bowl would happen this year. On that note this season has been amazing, even if the end of it reminded me of our last Super Bowl with a game ending drive and inability to stop it. 

While we all know the Oline needs alot of work, I still believe Jamar was the right choice and we don't make it this far without him. Going forward I hope the loss and how bad Adeniji was and how unprofessional Carman showed up at the start of the season, that the Bengals now see that the guard position is worth more than they have valued it in the past. I can't help but think had we paid Zeitler at least close to what he wanted, we'd be having a different conversation right now.

Watching this team grow up this season has been alot of fun, watching Joe learn how to protect the ball better because of the Bears game, was an important loss. 

Watching them learn how to stop or slow down the dink and dunk game after getting beat by Mike White's Jets, was important. 

We don't stop Derrick Henry if we did not lose and get beat bad by Nick Chubb's Browns. 

One of life's greatest lessons I have learned is failing can be your greatest teacher. I believe some of the losses we had this season will battle harden us going forward and prepare us for when these types of games come back around, next time with better results. 

If we want to repeat this success and build on it, aside from the obvious fixing the Oline we need to resign some of our 1 year guys, as well as get Bates a new contract. Do that, get 2-3 Olinemen in FA, and have another good draft and will will be the favorites in next year's Super Bowl.

Our Super Bowl Winning Season starts with Free Agency on March 16th. Let's not take out foot off the gas.

It is a tough road to get to the SB, there are several very very good teams in the AFC. We will soon see how the team looks to build the OL. If they go with the 'we like who we have and need to develop them' there shall be much gnashing of teeth lol. 

We have cap space and the cap is growing a lot over the next 3 seasons so no excuses from that side of things. Hopefully there is some urgency in getting old Mikey a SB win before he croaks or goes senile. 

I'm totally happy with this season. W win would have been nice, but just being there is something NONE of us would have believed 6 months ago.Now let's see if the office is willing to do what it takes to make this happen again. Oh, we're going to have a tough schedule after this. We'll get to see just what these guys are made of next season.

It's super difficult to look back on anything with maybe's. Yes Chase was 100% the right pick. But if we'd have paid Zeitler and Whitworth we would've be shorn up, but also not in a position to draft Joe and Chase. Dalton and Brandon Tate weren't gonna get us over the hump in the way our current GODLY Mixon/TB/Tee/Chase/Joe/CJ did.

At least now we know we need OL help. I mean, I have been banging the OL drum since Kitna days, but it's so publically obvious we do I don't think the Bengals can ignore it. Also, besides a little depth on D, that's our only real weakness left. Do to the OL what we did to the DL and we're golden.

I was going to wait a couple days and start a new thread, but it's probably better to do it here and now.  Ja'Marr Chase was the right pick.  The guy is flat out amazing.  Year 1 and the guy is one of the best three WRs in the game, IMO.  Hard to accomplish that and even harder to expect that.  Little chance they would have made the playoffs without him and no fuckin' way they make the Super Bowl without him.  I can't wait until next year to see what he and Burrow do next!  That's saying a lot for an old Bengals fan that has been as jaded as any.

Obviously, the offensive line is still a shitshow.  I'm generally a long term thinker and locking in a guy who is a stud LT who will likely be there for more than a decade is a great way to build.  Even though Sewell got off to a rough start he had a great second half and looks to be the player they said he was.  None the less, Chase got the Bengals to a Super Bowl.  LTs really can't do that.  Here's to hoping Chase can play at this level for a long, long time. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I was going to wait a couple days and start a new thread, but it's probably better to do it here and now.  Ja'Marr Chase was the right pick.  The guy is flat out amazing.  Year 1 and the guy is one of the best three WRs in the game, IMO.  Hard to accomplish that and even harder to expect that.  Little chance they would have made the playoffs without him and no fuckin' way they make the Super Bowl without him.  I can't wait until next year to see what he and Burrow do next!  That's saying a lot for an old Bengals fan that has been as jaded as any.

Obviously, the offensive line is still a shitshow.  I'm generally a long term thinker and locking in a guy who is a stud LT who will likely be there for more than a decade is a great way to build.  Even though Sewell got off to a rough start he had a great second half and looks to be the player they said he was.  None the less, Chase got the Bengals to a Super Bowl.  LTs really can't do that.  Here's to hoping Chase can play at this level for a long, long time. 

Good man.

Lets go fix the Oline.

Archived