Life after the Superbowl - The off season

Just now, Jungletiger said:

Gotta get that Oline rebuilt.  I don't want Joey B to get the Cleveland/Andrew Luck treatment.

Sure.  Count on the overweight guy with a bad back.  No chance in hell the Bengals should count on that.  Carman is 100% in "prove it" mode.  His next shot he needs to earn.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Sure.  Count on the overweight guy with a bad back.  No chance in hell the Bengals should count on that.  Carman is 100% in "prove it" mode.  His next shot he needs to earn.

I think that's what they trying to say.  He needs to step and get in to the role.

The Oline is the most obvious headline but we cant let these guys get away either.

Ogunjobi

Hill

Bates

Uzomah

Spain 

and yes, Apple

Keep them fill out the guys not on that list that do leave, AND address the Oline. 

If we only address the Oline and ignore the rest, we will be talking about the defense taking a step back next year.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The Oline is the most obvious headline but we cant let these guys get away either.

Ogunjobi

Hill

Bates

Uzomah

Spain 

and yes, Apple

Keep them fill out the guys not on that list that do leave, AND address the Oline. 

If we only address the Oline and ignore the rest, we will be talking about the defense taking a step back next year.

I think it will be hard to pay Ogunjobi and Hill.  They will be in demand.

Spain is a must.  Hopefully he's reasonable.  2-3 years?

Bates for sure, but just smells like they aren't close and the tag is coming.

Uzomah shouldn't be tough.  Still need another TE.  Sample is soft af.

I'm good with Apple coming back, but hopefully as a backup. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I think it will be hard to pay Ogunjobi and Hill.  They will be in demand.

Spain is a must.  Hopefully he's reasonable.  2-3 years?

Bates for sure, but just smells like they aren't close and the tag is coming.

Uzomah shouldn't be tough.  Still need another TE.  Sample is soft af.

I'm good with Apple coming back, but hopefully as a backup. 

I think resigning some of these guys will not be as hard as we think IF they believe they want a Championship and realize just how close we are.

Bates I think you might be right about the tag.

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Ogunjobi

Hill

Bates

Uzomah

Spain 

and yes, Apple

I think the issue of keeping the D players is easier to resolves than finding the players to fix the Oline (the players here, I believe want to be here.).  Other than drafting people (which ensures the player comes here) getting players to sign through FA is a bigger hurddle.

6 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

I think the issue of keeping the D players is easier to resolves than finding the players to fix the Oline (the players here, I believe want to be here.).  Other than drafting people (which ensures the player comes here) getting players to sign through FA is a bigger hurddle.

If Gronk saying he'd want to play with Joe is any indication of what other FAs think, I think well be ok on that front. Getting the team SB exposure and seeing how close we were is going to get us guys coming off their "big" contract that still have something left in the tank and can still play but still want the Championship. 

I think this team should be even better next year, if the front office does all the right things and continues to behave like they have since Taylor got here.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

If Gronk saying he'd want to play with Joe is any indication of what other FAs think, I think well be ok on that front. Getting the team SB exposure and seeing how close we were is going to get us guys coming off their "big" contract that still have something left in the tank and can still play but still want the Championship. 

I think this team should be even better next year, if the front office does all the right things and continues to behave like they have since Taylor got here.

Now that time has passed for stars to leave my eyes, Im not sure how I feel about Gronk.  On one hand it sounds flattering considering his past play, on the other, he's old and could just be looking for an easy ride and pay day.  I could be wrong, but for me that doesn't show me much as far as getting a FA, or atleast in how easy it will be to get one.

9 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

Now that time has passed for stars to leave my eyes, Im not sure how I feel about Gronk.  On one hand it sounds flattering considering his past play, on the other, he's old and could just be looking for an easy ride and pay day.  I could be wrong, but for me that doesn't show me much as far as getting a FA, or atleast in how easy it will be to get one.

Yeah I'm the same, it's flattering Gronk wants to play with Joe but I dont want to lose CJ either. Plus if we get both and play 2 TE sets what WR do you take off the field?

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Ogunjobi

Hill

Bates

Uzomah

Spain 

and yes, Apple

I would add Reiff to your list (He was on a one-year deal, right?).

Here are our free agents:

image.thumb.png.542c996a8298af2a61ce9468bc8c8900.png

Must bring back:

Ogunjobi

Uzomah

B. Allen

Bates

BJ Hill

Flowers (great for those TE matchups)

Q. Spain (o line depth)

Clark Harris

Consider bringing back:

Apple (min. contract)

Fred Johnson maybe??

Then, if you cut Waynes we should be in a good FA position for some O line help.  Here's how I see  our needs:

1. offensive line - I'd love to get 2 FAs (one star and one good player) and a 1st rounder (if it makes sense).  Honestly, everyone on that line is replaceable

2. defensive line - Ossai should be back, but we need some more speed off of the edge opposite Hendrickson.  Also need DT depth behind Reader, Larry O and Hill

3. corner -- It would be great to resign Apple as the 4th or 5th corner

4. lb -- Not sure what ADG is yet, but after Wilson and Pratt we have no depth.  

As for the Oline - the advantage we have now is we can sign "tried and true" FAs. Nothing to chance here by relying solely on the draft and B list projects. Yes, we'll draft Olinemen too. Signing two of the best FA Olinemen will go a long way in signaling to the others that this is the team to join.

Side note - let's not get drunk on cap money and thinking we can buy the pieces to a SB victory. Culture really matters. Re-signing Bates, Uzomah, and BJ Hill must get done. I'd be fine to get Flowers back too. That dude is hungry to help wherever he can. 

42 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Here are our free agents:

image.thumb.png.542c996a8298af2a61ce9468bc8c8900.png

Must bring back:

Ogunjobi

Uzomah

B. Allen

Bates

BJ Hill

Flowers (great for those TE matchups)

Q. Spain (o line depth)

Clark Harris

Consider bringing back:

Apple (min. contract)

Fred Johnson maybe??

Then, if you cut Waynes we should be in a good FA position for some O line help.  Here's how I see  our needs:

1. offensive line - I'd love to get 2 FAs (one star and one good player) and a 1st rounder (if it makes sense).  Honestly, everyone on that line is replaceable

2. defensive line - Ossai should be back, but we need some more speed off of the edge opposite Hendrickson.  Also need DT depth behind Reader, Larry O and Hill

3. corner -- It would be great to resign Apple as the 4th or 5th corner

4. lb -- Not sure what ADG is yet, but after Wilson and Pratt we have no depth.  

Some of this is unrealistic.

If we cut Waynes, Apple as the 4th or 5th guy, where do you get your #2 and #3? Corners are not cheap and we wont get a #2 that is plug and play from the #31 pick. 

I like the idea of filling out the roster for starters in FA and using this draft to draft guys that can be coached up to start in a year or two or be rotational this year. So I think cutting Waynes and spending that money on making Apple your #2 and Oline Oline Oline is the smart play. (Along with keeping Bates, Ogonjobi, Hill, Spain, and CJ)

Fill out the rotational guys you want to be starters eventually in the draft. Another DE, LB, and 3tech DT to replace Tuopu, or if we cant keep Ogunjob and Hill. 

I also think a WR that can return punts and kicks makes alot of sense.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Some of this is unrealistic.

If we cut Waynes, Apple as the 4th or 5th guy, where do you get your #2 and #3? Corners are not cheap and we wont get a #2 that is plug and play from the #31 pick. 

I like the idea of filling out the roster for starters in FA and using this draft to draft guys that can be coached up to start in a year or two or be rotational this year. So I think cutting Waynes and spending that money on making Apple your #2 and Oline Oline Oline is the smart play. (Along with keeping Bates, Ogonjobi, Hill, Spain, and CJ)

Fill out the rotational guys you want to be starters eventually in the draft. Another DE, LB, and 3tech DT to replace Tuopu, or if we cant keep Ogunjob and Hill. 

I also think a WR that can return punts and kicks makes alot of sense.

Down with most of this. 

I do think Taylor was pretty good returning punts.  Solid player.  I'm over the high-risk/high-reward punt returner.  Get a few yards if you can, don't fumble, and don't go backwards!!!!

Archived