2022 Free Agency

23 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Sounds like a Squeeler to me.

Could be..

Their entire OL from a couple seasons ago is gone now..

They have to reload it  and find a QB..

This is a team in rebuild mode and hopefully its years before they contend again..

24 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Rumors are the Jets might be willing to trade OT Mekhi Becton. He's only 22 years old and would definitely be worth giving up pick #31 in a trade for in my view. 

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-rumors-mekhi-becton-trade-candidate

From the article:

Becton was forced to miss nearly the entire 2021 season after suffering a significant knee injury in Week 1. The Jets hoped that he would return after only a month or two, but Becton's rehab period took much longer than expected.

Rumors that the team was frustrated with his work ethic and motivation were seemingly confirmed when head coach Robert Saleh publicly proclaimed that Becton would have to compete with George Fant for the starting left tackle job this summer. The implication was that Fant was the early favorite."

no, do not trade the 1st for a OT with a bad knee , bad work ethics and has to be motivated.  this team went far with low talent hard work and selflessness.  thats a no no and a no .    and before you say "but he'll have to pass a physical 1st" remember our crack medical staff and the Antonio Bryant debacle.

Collins would be a significant upgrade. I just read an article on cincy.com that, according to PFF

(I know, I know) Collins is the 15th ranked tackle in the league.

By comparison Reiff was ranked 49th, Trent Brown 33rd, Moses Morgan 40th.

He does have the connection with Pollack, so he should have some insight to the guy.

NOW - if he's a character issue or a head case - forget it.

One of our biggest strengths is our locker room (so quit pouting Jessie).

Bengals could get a head start on free agency by signing CB Jeff Gladney. He was the Vikings first round pick in 2020. They cut him last year when he was indicted for assaulting a woman but the jury acquitted him this week. He has talent and would be a good depth piece, at least football wise. 

Ideally, things would go one of two ways. 

1.  Trade for Collins (a 4thb & a future pick), sign an OC (Jensen, Bozeman, Jones...),  an OG (Tomlinson, Daniels, Corbett...) and hope Zion Johnson is there at 31 (re-sign Spain if he isn't).

OC R. Jensen

RG J. Daniels

LG Z. Johnson

RT L. Collins

LT J. Williams

2.  Sign 2 OG's (Tomlinson, Daniels...) and (Corbett, Norwood, Cappa, Spain...), trade for Collins and hope Linderbaum is there at 31 (keep Hopkins for another year if he isn't).

OC T. Linderbaum

RG  L. Tomlinson  

LG  A. Norwood

RT L. Collins

LT J. Williams

Hobson also brings up quite the interesting name in free agency with Los Angeles Rams center Brian Allen:

“Like they did last year on defense when they inked young guys on their second contracts, I’d love to see them do that with a couple offensive interior players. Start with Rams center Brian Allen. Just 26, Allen ran a wide zone scheme similar to the one Pollack runs with Zac Taylor, a descendant of Rams head coach Sean McVay’s wide zone run scheme.”

Allen, a former fourth-round pick, doesn’t get a ton of attention when looking at this year’s free-agency class. But even last year, he earned an 80.2 PFF grade over 16 games last year, though he comes with injury concerns after missing chunks of 2019 and all of 2020.

Still, it’s a good example of a low-key signing the Bengals could make that would improve a position at an affordable cost, enabling them to make splashes elsewhere.

This sort of trade and low-buy approach could be the move for a team that doesn’t necessarily want to go wild with Joe Burrow’s extension hanging over everything.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/bengals-nfl-sleeper-free-agent-targets/

Bengals sleeper free agent targets to know once market opens

Cheat Sheet:

Donte Jackson CB Panthers

Trent Brown OT Patriots

Rasul Douglas CB Packers

Ted Karris IOL Patriots

Joe Haden....

Joseph Noteboom OT Rams

2 hours ago, snarkster said:

1.  Trade for Collins (a 4thb & a future pick), sign an OC (Jensen, Bozeman, Jones...),  an OG (Tomlinson, Daniels, Corbett...) and hope Zion Johnson is there at 31 (re-sign Spain if he isn't).

OC R. Jensen

RG J. Daniels

LG Z. Johnson

RT L. Collins

LT J. Williams

2.  Sign 2 OG's (Tomlinson, Daniels...) and (Corbett, Norwood, Cappa, Spain...), trade for Collins and hope Linderbaum is there at 31 (keep Hopkins for another year if he isn't).

OC T. Linderbaum

RG  L. Tomlinson  

LG  A. Norwood

RT L. Collins

LT J. Williams

option 1 and I'm looking around to see if somebody's punking me - not that I wouldn't be ecstatic.

great resign on Bachie - that kid stepped in and was solid

agree with Hayden - he's not a bad player but I never liked him (maybe it's just me)

19 hours ago, snarkster said:

OC R. Jensen

RG J. Daniels

LG Z. Johnson

RT L. Collins

LT J. Williams

OC T. Linderbaum

RG  L. Tomlinson  

LG  A. Norwood

RT L. Collins

LT J. Williams

If they sign 3 OL in free agency I can't imagine them drafting one a 31 (I know I wouldn't). I mean they drafted Carman/Hill/Smith for a reason and giving up on them in their 2nd year seems unreasonable to me. 

Much rather they go defense though YMMV.

Archived