2022 Free Agency

My top options for the OLine:

OC JC Tretter  Ted Karras  Trey Hopkins/Tyler Linderbaum

LG Ted Karras  Zion Johnson  Kenyon Green

RG Alex Cappa

LT  Jonah Williams

RT  La'el Collins  Darryl Williams  Morgan Moses/Reilly Reiff

The other much less likely possibility?  Sign/deal for a LT and move Jonah to the right side.

14 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Hobson says at TE they would want someone younger than CJ on their first contract....Conklin is the only one really there. Hurst is older but on his first contract. Maybe Tonyan. 

I'm gonna take a WAG and say CB, if not RT

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Lol...

Ya know theirs a boatload of organizations that muff all the time..

Packers would be the Lions all these years if not for Rodgers...

And the reality is becoming more obvious, the Patriots were great because of Tom Brady, not Bill Belicheck. 

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

WR is listed as Mike

Question ..

While legal tampering is in effect could any Bengal coach or player call La'el Collins or since he's still a Cowboy that would be illegal

Im thinking one call from Pollack would do it..😎

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Queation ..

While legal tampering is in effect could any Bengal coach or player call La'el Collins or since he's still a Cowboy that would be illegal

Im thinking one call from Pollack would do it..😎

Free Agency is now wide open…tampering period ended today 

But, then again, Collins is still their property, so ….

Speaking of the official opening of Free Agency today…

Quite a few moves made by other teams today—especially the removal of several TE possibilities. 

Are the Bengals sitting on their hands (been reading this complaint on other sites)? That would smack of the old days’ “let the market set itself” approaches. 

43 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Speaking of the official opening of Free Agency today…

Quite a few moves made by other teams today—especially the removal of several TE possibilities. 

Are the Bengals sitting on their hands (been reading this complaint on other sites)? That would smack of the old days’ “let the market set itself” approaches. 

Von Miller to the Bills was one I wasn't expecting. Conklin to the Jets after we already lost CJ to them stung as well. The arms race in the AFC is real...and it is making me nervous.

55 minutes ago, membengal said:

Today has been frustrating and disappointing

Not really sure what is left to be had at this point but hopefully they make some moves tomorrow. Frustrating to see other teams scooping up guys we could have used.

Bucs fans seeking any sliver of hope regarding a Rob Gronkowski return to the Bucs in 2022 found one Wednesday.

Courtesy of Twitter, of course.

A video tweeted by Alan Villa, owner of a well-known South Tampa eatery, shows Gronkowski inside Danny’s Barber Shop in West Tampa. The brief clip begins with Gronk saying, “There’s a very good chance,” presumably in reference to a question of whether he’ll play for the Bucs this season.

Gronk then goes on to suggest he’ll make Tom Brady sweat out his decision, similar to how Brady made the local fan base squirm for more than a month. Brady announced Sunday he’ll play in 2022, only 40 days after announcing his departure from football.

“I’ll let him have a little scare,” Gronk says in the video. “He just did it to me for a couple of months, so I’m going to do it to him.”

The new NFL year formally commenced Wednesday afternoon with the Bucs compliant with the league’s $208.2 million salary cap. Gronkowski, who turns 33 in May, was among several prominent Bucs free agents who remained unsigned, joining tailback Leonard Fournette, defensive linemen Ndamukong Suh and William Gholston and edge rusher Jason Pierre-Paul.

While any still could re-sign with Tampa Bay, the team would have to make a corresponding roster move to stay at or under the salary cap. As it stands, Cameron Brate — who has agreed to a restructured deal — is the only Bucs tight end with an NFL reception under contract; former first-round draft choice O.J. Howard reportedly has agreed to a one-year deal with the Bills.

Since emerging from a one-year retirement, Gronkowski has enjoyed a resurgence with the Bucs, totaling 100 catches for 1,425 yards and 13 touchdowns in the last two regular seasons.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2022/03/16/video-shows-gronk-saying-theres-a-very-good-chance-he-returns-to-bucs/

Some names left at the main positions of need:

TE

Austin Hooper, Gerald Everett, Kyle Rudolph, Robert Tonyan, Tyler Kroft

OT

La'el Collins (trade/cut), Trent Brown, Daryl Williams, Germain Ifedi, Riley Reiff, Terron Armstead, Duane Brown, Jason Peters

OG/C

Andrew Norwell, JC Tretter, Bradley Bozeman, Quinton Spain, Ereck Flowers, Billy Turner, Matt Paradis

CB

Stephon Gilmore, Joe Haden, Rasul Douglas, Kyle Fuller, Eli Apple, Donte Jackson, Patrick Peterson, Tre Flowers

- I am surprised to still see Terron Armstead and Trent Brown available. Perhaps they are both related to Collins as well, and fall back options for teams. Of the 3, I am likely in the minority as I would prefer Brown as a RT.

Then I think you also sign Bozeman and have a starting OL of ...

Jonah -- Karras -- Bozeman -- Cappa -- Brown 

- There is also no reason why the Bengals shouldn't be able to secure DB Tre Flowers, I wouldn't imagine him being expensive.

I expect that they, along with most other teams are waiting for Watson to drop in order to see what happens with Armstead and/or waiting to see what happens with La'el Collins. 

What I expect over the next few days. 

Offensive Line

1. They sign La'el Collins. No idea the amount, probably already have a contract in place. I bet they have one eye toward Armstead as well. They like younger guys, Collins is 29 and Armstead 31.

2. JC Tretter is very interesting and I could see that happening instead of Collins. However the RT spot is much harder to fill in FA and they have way more options at C/G. Karras flexibility means they could sign Collins and then either add a C or a LG. At C they could keep Hopkins or draft Lindebaum if he was available. At LG they could sign Spain or Norwell or draft Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green. While I like Tretter over Collins the solutions at LG/C outside of either are much better at LG/C. In the end I would bet Spain is back and we go Corner in Rd 1. 

Still Available:

C : Bozeman, Tretter

LG: Spain, Norwell

LT: Armstead, Brown, Fisher

RT: Collins, Brown, Massie, Williams, Crosby

TE

3. I assume this position is taken care of Thursday. The number of potential guys is shrinking and they will want to nab someone quick. I want Hayden Hurst to be that guy but I bet it's Gerald Everett. 

Still Available: Gronkowski, Austin Hooper, Hayden Hurst, Robert Tonyan, Gerald Everett

3T

4. There are a ton of guys available still. I have no idea who it will be but I think that they should sign one to pair with Hill. Solomon Thomas fits the age range they like. 

Still Available: Calais Campbell, Akiem Hicks,  Ioannidis, Sheldon Richardson, Solomon Thomas

CB

5. I think this is going to be the number one or two pick but they will likely re-sign Eli Apple and add another veteran. I would love for that to be Akhello Witherspoon who played with Awuzie at Colorado. I have a pretty big blank spot when it comes to corners. 

Still Available: AJ Bouye, Casey Hayward, Akhello Witherspoon, Rasul Douglas, Mike Hughes, 

DE

6. This position is still loaded as well. I think the 4th guy would be a perfect guy to nab a veteran who can make an impact on limited snaps.

Still Available: Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Olivier Vernon, Jerry Hughes, Arden Key, Dorance Armstrong, Everson Griffen, Trey Flowers, Mario Addison, Dante Fowler, Jason Pierre-Paul. Armstrong and Key are both 26 and younger

WR

7. I assume we will be looking for up to 2 things. The first a dynamic PR/KR who can eventually replace Boyd in the slot. The second a guy who can start should we get an injury. Probably someone who wants to use playing with Burrow as a jumpstart to their career. For the most part I would assume we will go to the draft here but a cheap WR is an option as well. I have a feeling Tre'Quan Smith is our 4th WR after being coached by Walters in college at UCF. I think it's likely both Morgan and Mike Thomas are back. It's possible that Auden Tate is even back should he not find a market

Still Available: Auden Tate, Andre Carter, Alex Erickson, Tre'Quan Smith

S

8. I need to dig better here. A veteran who is losing his starting position would be great. That is probably a pretty large group actually. I would love Tre Flowers back to cover TEs. 

QB

9. I would bet Allen is back and then they add no one else. Probably already have the deal done basically but just waiting on them to work out other stuff. 

Still Available: Dalton, Mariota, Geno Smith.....and my favorite Josh Dobbs

RB

10. I would bet they don't sign anyone but it has to get tempting seeing guys out there who might be a bit more dynamic than Perine available. 

Still Available: Codoralle Patterson, Gio, Montgomery

11 hours ago, Griever said:

Von Miller to the Bills was one I wasn't expecting. Conklin to the Jets after we already lost CJ to them stung as well. The arms race in the AFC is real...and it is making me nervous.

It is real. In Free Agency—if you can’t get the players you want—it is better if the good ones go or stay in the NFC. 

Miller to BUF is maddening…makes them even better. 

Archived